Looking for advice on a range carry all

PDA

1Hairygoomer
June 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
I am thinking about making a carrier to take my stuff from the car to the table at the range. Right now its a cardboard box & a sling. My idea so far is to get a small dolly then bungee strap a cooler, fishing box, hard case, and tripod/scope to it. But I don't think this would be very functional. Any advice on improvements or what you all do would be nice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for advice on a range carry all" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tominct
June 27, 2013, 11:54 PM
How about a golf bag/cart? Or the 3-gun competitors are using jogging strollers. Maybe one of those 2-wheeled folding shopping carts? A lot will depend on what you're carrying and how far you're going.

allaroundhunter
June 28, 2013, 03:12 AM
What all are you trying to carry?

1Hairygoomer
June 29, 2013, 11:31 AM
The trip from the car is about 50 yards. The problem is with my box of targets, ear muffs, safety glasses, stapler, tape..., I don't have enough hands to carry my spotting scope and tripod. The spotting scope is a $14 auction find but the tripod was broken so I am using my big ol camera tripod and that is too much to get in one load.

rcmodel
June 29, 2013, 01:37 PM
Get two 5 gal plastic buckets from Home Depot.

Put all your stuff in them and gofer it.

Once you get there and are all tired & worn out?

You can use one bucket to set on and stare at the ground, and the other one for empty brass you spot. :D

rc

WRGADog
June 29, 2013, 09:44 PM
Midway USA has a great range bag that is reasonably priced.

1Hairygoomer
June 30, 2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all the good advice! I will try the bucket idea first because they have a handle and it will free up one hand so I can grab the scope/tripod.

Beentown
June 30, 2013, 05:15 PM
Rolling tool chest...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008J2IPW6/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

CapnMac
June 30, 2013, 05:45 PM
Keep you eyes out in stores for tote/carry bags on the end-caps (where they are likely to be discounted).

Keep an open mind about containers--like buckets. Go wander the home-improvement store and check out the "bucket organizers" and "bucket tool" gizmos. Oh, and definitely go wander the stores for a bucket "seat lid."

There are all sorts of things that can be re-purposed. A place I once worked gave us cheap tote bags instead of a bonus. Not a great bag, but, good enough to hold a couple sand bags, the bench rest, the bag with the spotting scope and the like.

For targets, I had a mailing tube that had delivered something. I took some gimme itty-bitty snap links (look like teeny carabiners) and strapping-taped them to the tube, then clipped on one of the spare straps I had laying about. Voilá, target toting tube.

Miss Stana
July 2, 2013, 12:48 PM
How about a back pack? That would free up both hands, and I have seen them with rifle straps on them. While I was looking, I found one that also is a chair (http://http://www.alkalicorp.com/p-7695-mojo-hw2309-critter-sitter.aspx)! Pretty cool looking.

Jim Watson
July 2, 2013, 03:39 PM
A kid's Radio Flyer wagon.
Or one of the bigger jobs sold for gardening.

Flynt
July 3, 2013, 02:51 PM
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/wagons/folding-utility-wagon-prod32291.aspx

This is a folding wagon, like a kid's little red wagon. I had to return the first one back due to a bad weld, but Brownells made it good. Second one has been fine. Rate at 150 lbs., I think.

safarihunter
July 6, 2013, 09:26 PM
My local big box retailer had a Plano tool box on special. It is approx. 18"x10x10. It has a removable tray inside.

I ended up with two.

One is for my cleaning stuff and misc tools and the other is for spotting scope, ammo, pistols, ear muffs etc.

The both stack on a folding dolly and I can put my front rest and sand bags on top of it al for the trek to the firing line benches.

Flynt
July 6, 2013, 09:44 PM
Wal-Mart?

ColtPythonElite
July 6, 2013, 09:49 PM
You can get a upright shopping cart that folds flat for about 30 bucks. I see them being sold and used at flea markets. Ebay has them, also....my buddy uses one for a range cart.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for advice on a range carry all" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!