nickel silver

PDA

steveno
June 29, 2013, 12:47 PM
maybe a crazy question but is there a chemical used in new denim jeans that causes nickel silver to get a kind of coarse film on it? I have a Case Trapper and a Robert Ogg pocket knife with nickel silver bolsters that I carry all of the time and with new denim jeans it gets this film on it. after a couple of washings it no longer seems to be a problem. the film comes off with simichrome with a little bit of work. just curious

If you enjoyed reading about "nickel silver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
June 29, 2013, 01:35 PM
Interesting. Are you washing the jeans before you wear them?

steveno
June 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
I wear them for a while before washing them

Fred Fuller
June 29, 2013, 02:30 PM
Stonewashed denim?

steveno
June 29, 2013, 02:52 PM
just plain old Cabela's denim jeans. nothing to indicate stonewashed

Tommy Medlin
June 29, 2013, 04:11 PM
I wear them for a while before washing them
How long is a "while"?

oldbear
June 29, 2013, 04:24 PM
steveno, try washing your pants before you ware them, this is remove the sizing that most companies use with new clothing. You may also be VERY surprised how dirty NEW clothing can be.

AJumbo
June 29, 2013, 06:47 PM
Residue from dryer sheets can eventually clog up your dryer's lint filter, so maybe it can get deposited on your bolsters......

steveno
June 29, 2013, 06:49 PM
the next time I buy jeans I will wash them first. it is a little strange though

rcmodel
June 29, 2013, 10:33 PM
Why is it strange?

Do you want to slap on a new pair of pants with Mexican or EL Salvador bird flu sneezes stuck in them?

Who knows who handled the fabric, or did the sewing, or the pressing, or the labeling in some 3rd world county when they made them??

For that matter, how do you know somebody with crotch crickets or weeping sores on their legs didn't try them on for size 30 minutes before you bought them?

Just because something is new doesn't mean it is clean and sanitary.

(Well, new cars maybe, because they get washed & detailed before delivery.)
Pants, not so much!

rc

Ron James
June 30, 2013, 12:49 AM
Nickle silver is neither nickle nor silver , of course. The nickle silver that case uses on its knifes seems to dull faster than some others. I have knifes that will stay bright for quite a while, but not my case knifes. I do not believe that your blue jeans have anything to do with the dulling. Nature of the beast.

Tophernj
July 3, 2013, 05:17 AM
Many new clothes are hit with pesticides and such as the trip from where they are manufactured to where they are sold involves a long boat ride. It wouldn't surprise me that something in the fabric is reacting with metal.

I wash everything before I wear it.

C

Sentryau2
July 3, 2013, 10:55 AM
was it exposed to any acids or etc? Nickle silver is a copper and nickle alloy, nickle silver tarnishes fairly quickly from what I have seen, leave a nickle silver t spoon in V8 juice mixed with a bit of salt for around a day and it turns black brown and an odd lead like color.

Zeeemu
July 3, 2013, 12:20 PM

"Nickel silver, also known as German silver,[1] Argentan,[1] new silver,[1] nickel brass,[2] albata,[3] alpacca,[4] or electrum,[5] is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc.[6] Nickel silver is named for its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated."

Ron James
July 3, 2013, 06:15 PM
Well then, if it not normal for Case knifes to tarnish ( and it is ), then perhaps it is Pixie dust blown in by Tinker Bell.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "nickel silver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!