A New Hunter

PDA

rodwha
June 30, 2013, 01:56 PM
I love the outdoors. I always have. I appreciate wildlife and love watching it in action. I've greatly enjoyed even the days in which I've sat in a blind and watched mostly birds and small animals. Hunting has been more about relaxation and enjoyment, though I certainly love taking home some meat.

I found this article rather refreshing as I've seen firsthand how many of the hikers/campers look down on people that hunt.

My mother was one who hated hunting. I loved to tell her of my shooting bambi! I thought it the silliest thing that it was OK for her to go to the grocery store and buy a package of meat, but it was cruel and inhumane for me to hunt an animal.

She would tell me that it wasn't fair, that the deer should be armed as well. She didn't like when I asked what chances the cow had.

Anyway, here is a story of a tree hugging hiker who decided to give hunting a chance:

http://www.backpacker.com/hiking-and-hunting/destinations/14747

If you enjoyed reading about "A New Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Patocazador
June 30, 2013, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised they printed the article. MSNBC or NPR would have fired the author for not following the liberal creed. ;)

Steel Horse Rider
June 30, 2013, 10:47 PM
I subscribed to Backpacker the first 4 years it was published, but then it seemed to take a hard left turn so I decided to stop supporting them.

rodwha
June 30, 2013, 11:47 PM
I've been a member of their forum for a couple of years. I've certainly noticed there are not many pro hunting/gun carrying members there. I don't know whether or not its prodominately tree hugging anti gunners or not, though I assume it is more anti gun, which is why I liked his story.

I think we spend too much time dividing ourselves on too many views, which only further distances us. But that's another topic.

Though my views are definitely Christian oriented, I try to give leeway to opposing views. I'm more right of center. Again, another topic.

I still find it refreshing this guy gave it a try and wrote honestly despite those that may have disagreed with his perspective.

rodwha
June 30, 2013, 11:52 PM
You mentioned their hard right turn, which turned you off. I haven't read their magazine, but loving backpacking, I joined their forum. I certainly don't care much for the left, but I also don't care for too far right.

I feel politics and such should be left out of stuff such as that. I just wanted to garner information about backpacking.

Steel Horse Rider
July 1, 2013, 12:48 AM
When someone decides to put a political spin on something that was sold to me as an "informational magazine" about an activity I enjoy doing then I will opt out. I had the same experience with "Outside" magazine a few years later.

rodwha
July 1, 2013, 01:10 AM
I certainly agree with anyone putting their political spin on it, especially left leaning. I never have read their magazine, but understand that the majority are more PETA and anti gun types, I cannot agree with it. I just use the forum to learn and ask questions.

I've actually not gotten much flack for my minimal gun toting (inquiring about bears along the Appalachian Trail) questions as I thought I would. But I've seen some get burnt crisp!

If you enjoyed reading about "A New Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!