Fighting back

PDA

big boom
June 30, 2013, 06:27 PM
What can we do to not just slow down the antis, but move in the other direction? I mean what can the individual do, without money invested? I want to start taking the fight to them, but I don't know any practical ways. So what I'm basically asking, what can we do that is effective and easy that changes the publics opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Fighting back" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lost Sheep
June 30, 2013, 07:36 PM
"Think global, act local" (attributed to Scots town planner and social activist Patrick Geddes)

Ultra-local: Invite a non-shooting person of your acquaintance to the range. Teach yourself to teach good gun handling and be reasonable in your expectations and be encouraging (set up large targets at reasonable distances, etc). Be a good gun-community ambassador to the larger community.

Local: Be an advocate for local ordnances that are reasonable. Be involved with policy making. Does your local police dept have a citizen's advisory board? If so, get involved in its meetings or even get on it if you are so inclined. If there is no body like that, start a movement to make one. Write letters to the editor of your local paper. Get involved in your neighborhood homeowners' council. They usually meet once a month for a few hours. Not only do city councils listen to them, you get informed about developments in your neighborhood - road improvements, zoning changes and such. It gets your face known to local lawmakers and policymakers. If it gets your face known to be attached to a reasonable, articulate and responsible pro-gun activist, so much the better. With recognition comes influence.

Local laws and policies are MUCH easier to affect than state or national. "All politics is local" (Tip O'Neill) means that people's votes are affected more by local issues than national. From Louisiana to Illinois to New York, political careers are built on a political structure based on ward or parish "bosses" keeping the street lights on and the garbage picked up and knowing the names of all the people in the area on sight.

Don't just vote for pro-rights candidates. Volunteer a couple of hours a week.

Meet the policy makers. Your State and Federal legislators do occasionally visit community councils and talk to the members. If you are there, you get their ear for about 30 seconds. Use it. Fill it.

Recorded in print since 1987. “The world is run by those who show up” (author unknown) has been a slogan of many political activists.

Show up locally. If you have the talent, you may wind up with a seat at a Presidential Nominating Caucus. That is how it's done.

Lost Sheep

p.s. I read in another thread that President Obama, when he was president of the Harvard Law Review pushed to get anti-gun leaning articles published in the Review. Not because they would have an effect then, but because Courts of Appeal and the Supreme Court read such articles and cite them in their decisions. This is a long-term, strategic way to accomplish an agenda.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fighting back" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!