toilet flange wax ring

PDA

Pancho
July 1, 2013, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know what a toilet flange wax ring is made of? It was traditionally made of bees wax but I doubt it is now, probably of some byproduct of petroleum.

If you enjoyed reading about "toilet flange wax ring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rodwha
July 1, 2013, 04:42 PM
It cannot be used as a lube ingredient. I don't recall what I read it was made of. Look for Gulf wax in the canning section of your grocery store.

Ooops! I was hasty in my response. I see you mentioned thinking it was originally bees wax. Look at Dixie Gun Works, which is where I got mine.

RetiredUSNChief
July 1, 2013, 05:38 PM
OK, this raised my eyebrows...until I realized you were probably asking this question as a segway to lubrication.

Some (a very few) wax rings used to be made from a blend beeswax. However, almost all wax seals made today are petroleum wax or some synthetic. Regardless, each company that makes them will have their own "secret blend" of ingredients from which they make their wax seals. If you buy a wax seal at your local hardware store, chances are it's a petroleum wax seal...no beeswax at all.

Oatey WAXMAX is a 100% pure petroleum wax gasket:

http://www.oatey.com/doc/MaxWax_Wax_Ring.pdf

LA-CO PLUMSET says theirs is "Non-hazardous microcrystalline wax":

http://www.laco.com/pdfs/MSDS/wax_bowl_rings.pdf

Hercules wax seals are 100% petroleum products:

http://herchem.net/products/bowlsetting.html

Hope this helps.

kituwa
July 1, 2013, 05:58 PM
My wife found me a jar of 100% pure bee wax at a beauty/hair supply store.Most towns have those type of stores. It was only about $3.50 for a good size jar. I mix it with gulf canning parrifin and tallow.You add more parriffin to make it harder.I pour it in a pan about 1/4 inch thick and use a cut off 45 colt shell to cut disks out that i use as a grease cookie for over ball lube.After the cookies are cut out i put them in a ziplock back with some baby powder and shake them up. That way they dont get your hands greasy and they wont all stick together.Just put one in over your ball and seat it good with your finger and it seals around the ball well with no mess and it wont get runny in hot weather like useing crisco does.

Cosmoline
July 1, 2013, 06:28 PM
You can get a lifetime supply from someone with hives. I've been using a box full of uncleaned wax without problem for a few years now. Just crack off a chunk and melt in a pan over boiling water, mix with olive oil or whatever. The little bits of bee that are floating in there don't matter one bit to the gun.

Pancho
July 1, 2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the information Chief. I'm a retired electrician and I've used wax rings to lube everything from deck screws to hinge pins but just recently wondered if they could be used as a part of the ever changing formula for bullet lube. Obviously it is not.
Subject closed.

mykeal
July 1, 2013, 10:05 PM
Call your local county agriculture extension agent; he will know how to contact the beekeepers in your area. They're a source of free or very inexpensive beeswax - most of them would be very happy to have some help getting rid of it

Cosmoline
July 1, 2013, 10:11 PM
mykeal has it! Beekeepers are a muzzleloader's best friend. Find local honey and you'll find local wax.

http://www.centralohiobeekeepers.org/resources/buyinghoney.htm

Science has never managed to best the bees.

Pancho
July 1, 2013, 10:42 PM
Working part-time in a local rural hardware puts me in contact with all of the bees wax I need as long as the mites and other maladies that are affecting and infecting them doesn't wipe them out. According to the bee keepers around here it is getting very serious.

zxcvbob
July 1, 2013, 10:57 PM
They used to be beeswax a long time ago. I think it's something called "slack wax" now. Probably useful as an ingredient in smokeless powder bullet lube, but doubtful for BP lube.

kBob
July 2, 2013, 12:13 AM
Many bee keepers basically give the wax back to the bees as the bees use a lot more effort in making wax than they do honey. "recycling" the caps and honey combs lets the bees make more honey in the same amount of time.

I keep meaning to try the Didant supply store about 20 minutes away as when last there they had blocks of the stuff sitting around.

-kBob

RetiredUSNChief
July 2, 2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the information Chief. I'm a retired electrician and I've used wax rings to lube everything from deck screws to hinge pins but just recently wondered if they could be used as a part of the ever changing formula for bullet lube. Obviously it is not.
Subject closed.

Well, I don't know that it's quite so obvious that "it is not". I googled it a little and it seems that some people have been using it with quite a bit of success and satisfaction for years.

I don't have cause to use lube for bullets like people here do, so I don't have any practical experience of my own to speak from.

Pancho
July 3, 2013, 11:19 AM
Chief, I'll have to google it to and see what there is to see. The original thought came to me last year when I was replacing the wood decking on my dock. It was a sunny mid 90's day and I was amazed that the wax ring I was using as deck screw lube hadn't turned to soup. I've also used it on 30 degree days when bees wax would be too stiff to be of use. Quite a wide temp. range of usefulness. On the other hand I need 3 variations of Gatefeo's formula to cover a 60 degree range.

Tallbald
July 3, 2013, 10:42 PM
I bought pure beeswax for my lube concoction for I think $16 a pound at Hobby Lobby, but I had a 40% off coupon which helped bring the price down. Don

Rojelio
July 3, 2013, 10:48 PM
Here's where I get my bees wax.

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=235

Noz
July 4, 2013, 12:29 AM
Subject closed.
No subject is not closed.
The material in toilet bowl rings is a component of an excellent home made bullet lube.
It's called Pearl Lube and was developed by Dick Dastardly.
One part paraffin
One part toilet bowl ring
and 1/2 part Crisco.
Been running it for several years with good luck.
Smarter folks than I can tell you which of the petroleum products work for black and which do not. I know the items that evaporate rapidly do not.

kBob
July 4, 2013, 02:11 PM
Rojelio,

Yep that's them, I spelled it wrong as usual. The High Springs FL store is sorta just up the road and where we bought our hives and gear. Arranged for my kid's third grade class to visit the place and see the glass box hive and tour the place. Some of the kids still had a "pet" drone after the fifteen minute trip back to school.

Before anyone asked, our hives were burned by the state inspectors who did may FL hives that year after a false diagnosis of a contagious disease among bees. Best of my knowledge no one ever recovered damages from the state. As hobbist we did not loose much but some folks lost a good bit. Ah yes, "I am from the government and I am here to help."

I did use some of our wax on a BP rifle stock, but that was it.

BTW the most useful pub we found for practical beekeeping was the old now discontinued BSA merit badge book for the same.

-kBob

Ratshooter
July 11, 2013, 02:35 PM
Years ago when all I was shooting were BP rifles I made almost that same formula listed by NOZ. I used one wax ring, an equal amount of crico and then added parrifin wax till it was the stiffness I wanted. I am still using too. It was my own formula. I didn't have internet back then. Come to think of it that would have been around 1998-2000. Wow time flies.

I bought 4 pounds of beeswax off ebay for around $4 a pound IIRC.

swathdiver
July 11, 2013, 03:32 PM
Don't know about your beeswax but I get mine from the local beekeeper and it's very stiff. Don't need any Gulf Wax at all, and now only use 1 part beeswax to 6 parts mutton tallow and the olive oil up or down to get the consistency for the weather or to lube the arbor and clean, almost like bore butter.

bubbinator
July 25, 2013, 01:16 AM
Cudos to the Navy Chief, from a Zoomie SNCO. Good info on lots of topics, that was our job!

RetiredUSNChief
August 1, 2013, 01:13 AM
;);)

If you enjoyed reading about "toilet flange wax ring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!