Load down a 243?

PDA

viking499
July 2, 2013, 02:31 PM
Overheard a couple guys at the LGS talking yesterday about loading down a 243 for varmint hunting. Never heard of this before. Reckon they are doing it for a "softer" varmint round. Could also imagine it could be for recoil issues, but the recoil of the 243 is light to begin with.

Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Load down a 243?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shmackey
July 2, 2013, 02:34 PM
No idea why one would do that for hunting, but I do have an idea for the powder: H4895.

MtnCreek
July 2, 2013, 02:39 PM
I asked about loading a reduced 6.5 cm load on another site and one guy there seemed to take offence to me even mentioning it. I'm loading a 120 amax over H4895 for a 13y/o and 8y/o.

dirtykid
July 2, 2013, 02:44 PM
My coyote pelts are what pays for my shooting habit, so they need to be brought in to the buyer in as nice of condition as possible.
My .243 has a buttstock-shell holder that holds 9-rounds
7 of them are lightly-loaded 55-gr spritzers the other 2 are 70gr BT
I sight my scope in for the 55gr pills, but also know where the 70gr are gonna go at yardages past 300
I'll bet 95% of my shots on yotes have been within 100 yards, and a 70gr BT makes a big mess to try and stitch back together
I have often called in Red Fox also, and even the loaded-down 55gr's are hard on them

243winxb
July 2, 2013, 02:47 PM
Farmers dont want the cows scared out of giving milk when shooting next to the barn. Down loading is better than buying a 222 rem. or smaller. I wonder how Hodgdon Youth loads would work with a 55 gr bullet??

Shmackey
July 2, 2013, 02:51 PM
7 of them are lightly-loaded 55-gr spritzers

http://cdn.iowagirleats.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/StrawberryLemonadeSpritzers.jpg?cdnrequest

You need to stop getting your load data from Pinterest. :)

Kingcreek
July 2, 2013, 05:51 PM
Before taking my wife on her first hunt for pronghorn, I had her shooting downloaded .243 at paper targets to get used to the rifle and scope with very little blast and recoil before working up to standard hunting loads. She got very good and comfortable with the rifle and was successful on 2 different hunts. She is only 5 foot nuthin and 105 pounds and was a new shooter at the time. I used 4895 or 3031 and light bullets.

Mule
July 2, 2013, 09:05 PM
Try some TrailBoss.

oneounceload
July 2, 2013, 09:09 PM
Try loading your 243 to 6mm BR levels -one of the most accurate cartridges ever - you might get close enough

jwrowland77
July 2, 2013, 10:41 PM
Before taking my wife on her first hunt for pronghorn, I had her shooting downloaded .243 at paper targets to get used to the rifle and scope with very little blast and recoil before working up to standard hunting loads. She got very good and comfortable with the rifle and was successful on 2 different hunts. She is only 5 foot nuthin and 105 pounds and was a new shooter at the time. I used 4895 or 3031 and light bullets.

This is what I did for my daughter. I used H4895 and did some reduced recoil loads then slowly started increasing the charge without her knowing. She gradually got up to a full load in no time and never knew any different because she had gotten used to the loads.

allaroundhunter
July 2, 2013, 10:47 PM
I have loaded down my .243 with H4895 and a 75 gr varmint bullet. The gun doesn't recoil much to begin with, but with 26 gr of H4895 the gun doesn't move. This load is for my recoil shy younger brother and my girlfriend.

bullet17
July 2, 2013, 10:53 PM
hi guys im new to the forum and I just bought a tikka 243 ive shot a few shells strait from the shelf some 80 grains and they shot good at 100 yrds but past that did not group good at all. So I bought some hornady sst 95 grains with h4831 powder and cci primers .......can anyone help me out and give me a few tips to make this rifle a tack driver......I know its good for it!!

allaroundhunter
July 2, 2013, 11:14 PM
hi guys im new to the forum and I just bought a tikka 243 ive shot a few shells strait from the shelf some 80 grains and they shot good at 100 yrds but past that did not group good at all. So I bought some hornady sst 95 grains with h4831 powder and cci primers .......can anyone help me out and give me a few tips to make this rifle a tack driver......I know its good for it!!

Are these rounds that you are going to load or rounds that someone else loaded?

bullet17
July 2, 2013, 11:28 PM
these are loads that I am going to reload can ya help me out? thx

allaroundhunter
July 2, 2013, 11:32 PM
these are loads that I am going to reload can ya help me out? thx

Do you have a reloading manual?

bullet17
July 2, 2013, 11:36 PM
yes I do I have my hornady book.....was just wondering if anyone would have any tips for this load multiple or have any suggestions

dirtykid
July 2, 2013, 11:40 PM
You need to stop getting your load data from Pinterest

LOL, Funny how an extra letter can change the whole message !! :)

I guess they are not ven considered a "Spitzer" type bullet ,because theydo not have a boat-tail
But pushed out of a 24" barrel at 3200 fps,they will pin a yote down in its tracks,and still not over-expand or punch-thru the carcass

dirtykid
July 2, 2013, 11:45 PM

My personal preference would be to drop back to 70gr pills,

Im sure you could eventually find a load that would stabilize those 95gr SST's
but IMHO you would have better success with a faster twist rate than 1:10

mulyhuntr
July 3, 2013, 01:09 AM
All I ever shoot out of my tikka t3 243 is a 100gr sierra over 39gr of h4350. Not light on recoil, but accurate.

stubbicatt
July 3, 2013, 08:38 AM
You know, you might try RL15 with a 85+ grain bullet. Even max loads of this powder are not too brutal, and it does give pretty good accuracy in my rifle. You don't have a lot of case fill, but it does work, and works pretty well.

My $.02.

The thing about handloading, you can try say, five, of a given combination of components and see where that gets you, whether your accuracy and velocity requirements are met. If not, you can try something else until you do.

For my uses, IMR4350 and RL15 and 87 grain Hornady hollow points works very well. I'm confident you can find something that will work for you. :)

41 Mag
July 3, 2013, 07:33 PM
I've loaded plenty of softer loads for several rifle. They are a great learning aid for the grandkids as well as a pleasure to shoot.

I had several loads for my .243 that I used for Turkeys that would hardly break 220fps but would lay one out flat with out blowing it to bits. Sighted in with top end 95gr BT"s the lighter loads would print dead on at 50yds and about 3" low at 100.

There are a LOT of reasons to load light especially nowadays when folks are trying to stretch out what powder they have.

If you enjoyed reading about "Load down a 243?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!