Olympic arms review

PDA

tote4570
July 2, 2013, 04:59 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=720344
This an update to the thread where I asked for opinions on Olympic arms ARs.

The rifle came with shipping grease and t took some time to get it completely cleaned.
Appearance was okay at first glance. The finish is rougher than others on the outside and inside. There are tool marks on bolt and carrier.
Olympic claimed that all rifles will be tighter than others when new. This is false. There is slight play between upper and lower. Buffer tube was tight but collapsible stock was not.
The bolt was snug in the bolt carrier though.
After cleaning I lubed well and went to range to sight in aftermarket sights.
Rifle seems to be pretty accurate out of the box. I fired only fifty rounds today but had zero malfunctions. This isn't many rounds and I plan on shooting again within a week. If I get any malfunctions I will post them.
In short fit and finish leave something to be desired but rifle functions properly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Olympic arms review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gotigers
July 2, 2013, 07:06 PM
Does it have:

Wire EDM'd magwell? any tool marks in the magwell?
Is the bolt stamped? If so, with what?
Full auto or semi carrier?
Is the gas key staked?
Commercial or milspec buffer tube?
Is the castle nut staked?

W L Johnson
July 2, 2013, 07:17 PM
There is slight play between upper and lower. Buffer tube was tight but collapsible stock was not
Play between the upper and lower is normal on ARs and the fact you said "slight" tells me you may have less than normal play. And most collapsible stocks will wiggle, again normal, there are ones that won't but they usually cost more than many people are willing to pay to fix a non-problem, including me.

tote4570
July 3, 2013, 01:18 AM
No toolmarks in mag well. Semi auto carrier, staked gas key, bolt and carrier stamped with y with a circle around it. Castle but does not appear to be staked and I don't know about the buffer tube.

If you enjoyed reading about "Olympic arms review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!