Private Sale of firearm

PDA

OrangePwrx9
July 2, 2013, 08:18 PM
I notice that no mention is made of FFL transfers in the Private Sale forums. Are these member-to-member sales without going the FFL route? Or is FFL involvement assumed?

I've got a couple of long-guns I'm thinking of selling. If I must get an FFL holder involved, the costs will be higher.

If you enjoyed reading about "Private Sale of firearm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frank Ettin
July 2, 2013, 08:49 PM
We expect members to understand and follow the law.

Under federal law, a sale of a gun by a resident of one State to a resident of another State must go through an FFL with all usual formalities (4473, etc.)

In the case of a private sale by a resident of a State to a resident of the same State, state law will govern. In some States an FFL might not be required to handle the transfer. In some other States, a private sale might need, under state law, to go through an FFL.

It is your responsibility to know and understand the law and conduct your activities in accordance with applicable law.

MtnCreek
July 4, 2013, 08:28 AM
I've got a couple of long-guns I'm thinking of selling. If I must get an FFL holder involved, the costs will be higher.

Consider putting that on the buyer. Have a price assuming the buyers FFL will accept the firearm shipped from you and an additional cost for shipping through your local FFL. That should help keep you competitive and compensated in case it must ship through an FFL.

chaser_2332
July 4, 2013, 11:40 PM
in a lot of states such as KY a face to face sell of a firearm is perfectly legal with no FFL involved. A lot of internet sells involve shipping a firearm, that's a very easy to do it just needs to be shipped to an FFL.

Frank Ettin
July 4, 2013, 11:55 PM
I'm going to cut this off at this point. This Forum is not the right place to discuss in depth the laws relating to selling guns.

It is a frequently discussed subject, and more information can be found by searching the substantive forums.

If you enjoyed reading about "Private Sale of firearm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!