DAWN OF THE DEAD--SPOILERS!!!

PDA

Greg Bell
March 19, 2004, 10:59 PM
I just saw DAWN OF THE DEAD. Fun movie--miserable gun technique. Lots of one handed head shots from people who had apparently never seen weapons before. Neat 870s with obligatory surefire forend. Berettas, revolvers, etc. Cheesy line about wimpy 9mm vs. .357.

One of the characters is a gun shop owner who is camped out on his shop's roof. He shoots zombies with his rifle based on their resemblance to celebrities. :D He comes to a sad end--but then so does everybody!

Thought I briefly saw a P7 in the gun shop. :D :D . I think I saw a low-cap Glock mag, etc.

No anti-gun propaganda that I noticed (the opposite really),

If you enjoyed reading about "DAWN OF THE DEAD--SPOILERS!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
March 19, 2004, 11:32 PM
I heard the movie was pretty much pro-gun. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

SkunkApe
March 19, 2004, 11:34 PM
Could you please either edit your post or put "spoiler alert" in the title?

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, but thanks to you I just found out the gun shop guy dies.

Please don't ruin it for others.

Thanks.

brookstexas
March 19, 2004, 11:35 PM
Guess I can skip my plans for seeing it tomorrow now that I know they all die. Keep hope alive brother! ;)
BT

Greg Bell
March 19, 2004, 11:36 PM
Sorry! I guess you guys had a lot invested in some characters you have never seen!:D :D

tiberius
March 19, 2004, 11:40 PM
The original (which I love by the way) also has TERRIBLE gun handling, especially by the SWAT guys. :rolleyes: I do lovethe shot when they come out of the mall gun shop ready to clean up though. :)

JeFF D
March 20, 2004, 12:25 AM
Yup I just saw it, thought it was pretty good seen a few instances where finger was off the trigger, and the gun shop owner was way cool and displayed in a positive manner.

DMK
March 20, 2004, 12:31 AM
Hey, even the most die hard antis know that when TSHTF, you will need guns, lots of guns. They just don't think anything bad will ever happen to them.

Jim March
March 20, 2004, 01:05 AM
I want to see a movie about a zombie mafioso leader:

DON OF THE DEAD!

"I'd make ya an offa 'cept I wanna eat youz brains with a nice Italian pasta sauce foist! Capische?"

:D

As to the movie: the portrayal of the gun shop owner was very good. He had a sense of humor and humanity, and no racial bias (he bonds closely with the black cop). There was zero anti-gun stuff in there; even the gun owned by the gangbanger wasn't put in a bad light. It was mis-used, but only because the gangbanger got too emotionally attached to his family.

Overall message: when all hell breaks loose, you need guns. LOTS o' guns.

KaceCoyote
March 20, 2004, 01:11 AM
Am I the only one who's wondered just how I would treat a zombie situation? Partially the reason I try and keep 300rounds in the house at all times. That and if any riot should break out for whatever reason. Semper Optus, always prepared.

The Undertoad
March 20, 2004, 02:19 AM
The shotty's were cool I grant that (SPAS-12, Rem 870, and some shorty with pistol grips)...but in a mob scenario like this, where you'd need to reload often, I think an AK or FAL would be useful, since they were dying with headshots. I'm sure there was at least one MBR in that gunshop. On that note, I was amazed at how many headshots the untrained folks were getting under high-stress situations. :D

It was an awesome movie, though. I really liked the gunshop owner. No doubt about it. I thought it was rather pro-gun, the gun handling was almost all safe and the gun effects were pretty realistic. :) I think they were the creepiest zombies I've seen, too. I really enjoyed the movie, wish I'd brought a date. ;) Lots of "startle" moments.

Loved the Johnny Cash with the montage at the opening credits too.

Jim March
March 20, 2004, 02:24 AM
What I *hated* was the audience. Or at least some members.

The ones who brought kids age 4, 5, 6...:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

That's just WRONG.

Slimjim
March 20, 2004, 03:56 AM
heh, during the showing i went too, like 5 people got thrown out, good riddance, lots of funny parts, especially the part about rosey o donnell haha.

Ryan1021
March 20, 2004, 04:02 AM
I also like to think about the zombie scenerio, and what I would do. I thought that this movie was great. I love to watch zombie movies and then place myself in the movie and think of what I would do if they came to my house, that might be a little strange huh? :o The only thing that would have made this movie a little better would have been if they could have found some SAR in the gun shop.

timbo
March 20, 2004, 09:29 AM
Ok, I know zombies aren't real and I don't worry about what goes bump in the night, but after seeing this movie (and I thought it was pretty good), I feel slightly safer knowing that I have my .45 and a couple hundred rounds stowed away. Kinda like thinking, "I know zombies aren't real, but if they were..."

Greg Bell
March 20, 2004, 09:40 AM
You guys are nuts!

:uhoh:

O.K. I admit it, when I got home I loaded my 870 police w/surefire.:uhoh: :uhoh:

You neeeever really know!:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

P.S. I also wondered where the "assault weapons" were. Nobody could find an AK? A Cetme? Of course, they were probably all up on the roof with the gunshop guy. I don't think the main group ever made it up there.

azrael
March 20, 2004, 10:20 AM
they filmed it in Canada...that makes it a bit harder to get Battle Rifles

Kodiak AK
March 20, 2004, 05:07 PM
azrael they filmed it in Canada...that makes it a bit harder to get Battle Rifles
Uhm they can get brand new Norinco M1's we can't .:(
The problem from what I have read is mag limits not the firearms themself up there .

If they want to keep takeing all the money frm Holywood they realy need to start makeing someexceptions to the rules so to speak . Than again after watching the Special Features of Once Upon a Time in Mexico , I believe the days of the movie prop gun are on the way out .:(
It is a lot cheaper and safer to use digital editing later on for all of your gun effects and just use rubber props.
Than again just think of all the cool class 3 stuff that can hit the market if the actualy do change over .:D

Gatofeo
March 20, 2004, 05:24 PM
Ahhhhh but Zombies are real, though not in the Hollywood sense.
Read, "The Serpent and the Rainbow" by Wade Davis, a Harvard-trained ethnobotanist.
In the 1980s, Davis went to Haiti to investigate the rumor that a drug produced by medicine men there could lower the body's basic functions nearly to the point of death. In fact, it was said, one given the drug would appear to be dead.
Many of the Haitiians practice a form of religion called Vodoun, from which we get the word, Voodoo.
If a Hatian is a lying, cheating scoundrel in Haitiian society, a council of Vodoun leaders may sentence the man to life as a Zombie. The man never knows his sentence. The drug is introduced into his food, or blown into his face, and he falls (apparently) dead.
A funeral is held and he's buried. Later that night, he's dug up and, still unconscious, whisked away to the other side of the island to work as a slave. He's given drugs regularly to keep him in a stupor while he works. He's also on a strict low-salt diet (somehow, salt counteracts the effects of the drug that keeps him in a stupor).
His family and neighbors think he's dead, unaware that his grave is empty.
The story came to light in 1980 when a "Zombie" stumbled into the village in which he'd been buried in 1962.
His slave owner went bankrupt and released all the slave Zombies, and he somehow made his way back to his home. The story was verified by his death certificate and other documentation.
Anyway, it's a fascinating look at the subculture of Haiti, Vodoun and Zombies.
Incidentally, Haiti is the site of the world's only successful slave revolt, in 1791.
In 1801, Napoleon sent the largest expedition ever to sail from France to Louisiana, to wrest it from American control.
French soldiers expected to drop off in Haiti, put down the rebellion, and go on to Louisiana. It didn't work out so. The French were quickly bogged down in the revolt and never made it to Louisana.
The French lost 60,000 troops in two years (disease took most of them) and left the island in late 1803. Louisiana was spared the French invasion; the U.S. purchased Louisiana from France in 1803.
So, that tiny country in the Caribbean spared America a Franco/American war in the early, formative years of our country when Thomas Jefferson was president.
Read, "The Serpent and the Rainbow." It's quite a book. It may be out of print but you'll often see it in used book stores in paperback.
And forget the cheesy movie that was made from the book. It bears no resemblance to the book and is an abomination of cheap special effects, lousy acting and a script apparently written by a dimwitted 6th-grader.

WonderNine
March 20, 2004, 06:50 PM
Now I REALLY want to see this movie! :D

Am I the only one whose zombie gun is a scoped 10/22 with a carbon fiber barrel and 10,000 rounds? :uhoh: :cool: :cool: :cool:

You guys gotta plan better. :neener:

They move really slow.....

Baseball bat would probably be best though, hahahahha.

azrael
March 20, 2004, 06:54 PM
wondernine

<they move slow>

NOT IN THIS MOVIE THEY DONT!!!!!....For some reason the "hack" that directed it decided that they could move faster and it would scare the audience...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:cuss:

this movie should have never happened!!!!:fire: :fire:

the original is called "ONE OF THE BEST HORROR MOVIES OF ALL TIME" for a REASON:fire:

the only good I can see coming from this movie is that Romero will finally get the funding for the 4th installment...

WonderNine
March 20, 2004, 06:59 PM
NOT IN THIS MOVIE THEY DONT!!!!!....For some reason the "hack" that directed it decided that they could move faster and it would scare the audience...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Aaahhhh, but everyone knows "real" zombies move slow, so this movie is obviously a work of fiction. :)

tiberius
March 20, 2004, 07:09 PM
Of course real zomies move slow. Those old muscles and tendons get dry and stiff when you're dead :)

This new movie sounds a lot like "Return of the Living Dead".

admar2
March 20, 2004, 07:40 PM
saw the movie last night. pretty cool, even with all the AHoles homeboys in the theatre talking to the screen the whole time.

few things I though were funny though.

1. the gun-shop guy had plenty of bullets and guns, but ran out of food.

2. why would you take shelter in a mall if there is a gun-shop right next door- DUH!!

3. shotty's are nice for knockin the whole head off, but a high powered semi-auto would be preferable, and I find it hard to believe gun-shop guy didn't have any.

4. if you are sitting on top of a gun shop loaded with ammo, why not spend your waking hours capping zombies. like as many as freakin possible! not just the ones that look like burt reynolds :D

5. gun-shop guy coulda make some black powder bombs I'm sure, with all the stuff in the store.

This new movie sounds a lot like "Return of the Living Dead".

actually this movie was more like 28Days than the original "Dawn of the Dead"

Kodiak AK
March 20, 2004, 08:24 PM
admar2
You answeared number two with number one.:neener:

DMK
March 20, 2004, 08:25 PM
Partially the reason I try and keep 300rounds in the house at all times. That's all? Heck, I like to keep at least 300 rounds loaded in magazines at all times.

I mean for each gun! :D

So what do you guys think would be the best (civilian legal) anti-zombie gun to keep as part of the SHTF battery? :)

I've got a FAL, about 30 mags and at least a few cases of ammo. I'm thinkin' that's a good start.

timbo
March 20, 2004, 09:16 PM
I didn't mind the whole running zombies thing. When I first heard from a friend that the zombies moved like that, I was worried. I thought that maybe they were suddenly enhanced by being a zombie and that's why they did that. In the movie, they're just running because that's the fastest way to move. Not a traditional zombie aspect, but it makes holding the line against the zombies a bit more difficult.

As for the gun shop guy, he should have had enough ammo to clear out nearly all the zombies, that is unless the zombies just keep migrating toward the mall area.

My only other problem with the movie was that they had military bases being overrun. I mean, you put one soldier in a tank, and bam! Zombie-mower! What is a horde of zombies going to do against one soldier in his M1 Abrams?

starfuryzeta
March 20, 2004, 09:42 PM
It was sad to see Max Headroom go out that way. :D

First bothersome moment. Little girl shows up, doors unlocked, no signs of forced entry. Must be a nice neighborhood.

Secondly, I saw plenty of rifles, ammo, etc in the gun shop. Why didn't they upgrade everyone? An AK with a slew of 30rounders would work wonders.

Also, as for their mobility. Its not like they physically died and decayed yet, so I guess they were still working with fresh muscles?

Finally, the "twitchers". They could take enough damage to "die", but the body not stop functioning fully. So, they're down, but twitching. Enough shots should be able to do that. Andy (gun shop guy) should have been mowing them down day and night.

A good thing I noticed was that Ving's character was cleaning his shotgun.

DMK
March 20, 2004, 09:49 PM
What is a horde of zombies going to do against one soldier in his M1 Abrams? Or an AC130 gunship. :)

Zombies in the wire, broken arrow, broken arrow!

admar2
March 20, 2004, 10:01 PM
You answeared number two with number one.

yeah, but using a little common sense, which would be YOUR first priority in this given scenario.

Zach S
March 21, 2004, 03:43 AM
What I *hated* was the audience. Or at least some members. Thats why I wait, and rent them instead.

JOE MACK
March 21, 2004, 03:49 AM
Hmmm... How about a KC-135 drop and a road flare? EXTRA CRISPY OR JUST ASHES.:D

MAKOwner
March 21, 2004, 05:41 AM
A standard AK would have to be the ultimate zombie gun for the mass hordes of undead...

I enjoyed the movie alot, fast moving zombies break from the oldies a bit, but really they do make it more interesting.

Glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to like watching zombie movies and daydream how I'd do stuff differently...

NIGHTWATCH
March 21, 2004, 07:11 AM
http://66.96.177.64/picture_hosting/web_pages/paternoster/DD.jpg

This movie tore a page from the original (the mall) and from 28 Days (virus). Outside of that, it was a different film. The tempo was moving fast. It worked.

The gun play was excellent as well as the cast. I enjoyed how some of the characters were at first divided, but when things started getting bad, they were all in the fight and it gets NASTY at times. Cant wait for the DVD.

"Burt Reynolds" headshots. Priceless. :cool:

sharpie613
March 21, 2004, 09:03 AM
A few things I noticed--Spoilers...

1. The mall ninjas. The idiots are disarming the refugees for what reason? In a similar instance, I'd hand him my 9mm sweet as you like...wait till he turns around and drill the pompous fool with my .45 he neglected to ask me for. That will teach him to make sure his plates are firmly duct-taped...Fortunately he redeemed himself later on.

2. I liked the fact that they chose shotguns for close in work over the rifles. As far as the situation goes, close enough works and a shotgun just seems to point more easily. I would have liked to have seen what just one guy with a mini-gun could do. This is of course balanced with the very positive portrayal of the gun store owner and the fact that he didn't have a trunkful of M-4s and grenades hidden against the government in case of war and was actually a lot like the rest of us. Some of us probably have more guns though.

3. I do hate to see a pretty girl catch a chainsaw to the chest.

4. I do like to see a metrosexual get exactly what he deserves.

5. The fact they can move fast is why they seem dangerous. If they just kinda shamble about, how are they going to overrun army bases?

The Real Hawkeye
March 21, 2004, 10:53 AM
Actually, slow moving zombies is the problem I've always had with traditional zombie movies. This one solves that with fast moving zombies. With the older movies I would always be saying to myself, what's so dangerous about them. You can just walk at a brisk pace and stay clear of them. If armed, even better.

As for the perfect guns, an AK and a bunch of 40 round mags would do quite nicely. A high cap 9mm would be my choice of sidearm, with lots of mags fully loaded. You apparently don't need a .45, because zombies don't experience shock. You just need to put a hole in their brains to stop them. A 9mm is as good at that as a .45, and you can carry more ammo.

I, of course, really liked the gun shop guy. He was probably a varminter, based on his rifle and skill. He probably had all the battle rifles up there with him, all loaded and ready with all the spare mags loaded up, just in case they broke into the store and on the roof.

Don't most gun shops carry lots of freeze dried food and MREs for survivalists, campers, hunters, and backpackers? That's what was running through my head when he said he was hungry. Maybe his was one of the few gun shops that don't cater to survivalists/ campers/ hunters/ backpackers.

Logan5
March 21, 2004, 01:53 PM
It definitely had some odd gunhandling moments in it. I had to wonder what the main mall ninja was doing with that .357, it looked like a S&W Highway Patrolman? Mostly it moved so fast it was hard to tell what people were using, except for the stainless Beretta and the Police 870, which I think got their own SAG cards for doing this film.
Strangest idea I saw was when they went all John Woo in the storm drains, slapping two automatics into that guy's hands and dragging him backward by his collar while he covers the retreat.
Next best was the horror movie idiot cliche; "yeah, everyone with a gun stay here, I'll go wander around alone looking for zombies with just my crowbar..."

The whole idea of having to make headshots on a huge zombie crowd running toward you at what looked like 45mph is pretty terrifying. Same with the scene where they were all coming up the stairs, although if they could do that well with shotguns and pistols, it's hard to see how the zombies would pull it off against a fireteam at the army base.
Then again, how do they run as fast as cars? And all the way across town, no less? And since we've got the spoiler warning up, what the hell tropical volcanic island can you sail to from Wisconsin? It looked like St. Lucia, which is a hell of a long way from Wisconsin by boat. I guess they forgot to change all the script when they changed the setting from Washington state to Wisconsin?

The Real Hawkeye
March 21, 2004, 01:59 PM
Logan5, have you ever heard of Lake Superior or Lake Michigon?

Jeff
March 21, 2004, 02:21 PM
Quit nitpicking. It was a great horror/action film that did gun-owners right. What more do you want?

As much as I love the original DOTD, it really isn't a horror movie. The early scenes with the SWAT team in the projects contained the only scary moments; then it quickly turned into an action/adventure film, albeit an entertaining one.

When you have a broad cross-section of individuals with different needs, egos, and directives, it's very difficult to formulate or coordinate a solid logistical plan. So it becomes easy for the viewer to think from time to time, "Gee, why didn't they do this, or do that?"

As far as I know, the zombies were able to run because rigor mortis had not set in. These zombies were not long dead corpses that suddenly rose from their graves, they were all victims of subsequent zombie attacks, quickly dying and immediately coming back to life. The blood and muscles did not have enough time to stiffen or rot.

Logan5
March 21, 2004, 02:25 PM
Well yes, but... hmm... ah, you're right, I'm nitpicking. The movie made me think of a review in some gun magazine of Quigley Down Under, where the author said it ought to be billed as starring The Sharps and Tom Selleck... Here, the 870 with the surefire was the hero, and I guess the Beretta 92FS was the gun equivalent of it's love interest. They could have made a great team, but the FS never made it into Ving's empty holster.;)
It was so sad when the zombies grabbed the 870, and the Beretta almost made it to safety... heartbreaker. The supporting cast was ok; the 870 topfolder and Glock turned in some great, but short performances near the end... The big .357 should have had more lines though, and that fat barrel M&P looking revolver was just phoning it in.

PATH
March 21, 2004, 02:27 PM
Fiction is interesting. Dead is dead and is a permanent condition. I think I'll wait for the book! :barf: :neener:

Daedalus
March 21, 2004, 02:30 PM
My only other problem with the movie was that they had military bases being overrun. I mean, you put one soldier in a tank, and bam! Zombie-mower! What is a horde of zombies going to do against one soldier in his M1 Abrams?

You have to fuel that Abrams up some time. When the gas station attendant is dead and you are out of gas what do you do? When the AC130 needs to land, how are they going to refuel with zombies spewing all over the flightline?

dustind
March 21, 2004, 04:58 PM
I would want an old fashioned chain flail mine clearing tank, and screw the attendant, I can pump diesel myself.

For firearms I would go with an AR-15, match .223 upper, and a 22LR upper. Side arms 9mm, and a .22LR.

I will probably go see this movie.

tcsd1236
March 21, 2004, 08:59 PM
As far as I know, the zombies were able to run because rigor mortis had not set in.
Rigor is only a temporary condition anyway; it sets in, then goes away.

jercamp45
March 21, 2004, 09:08 PM
Seem most of the Zombie, last people on earth kinda movies over the years...and I found that this one, though a remake, was pretty good. Kept me entranced with out terrifying everyone.
The best part was when the movie was over and Milady stated to me, 'I need more ammo, mags, practise and a bigger gun!! How much are those cute AK's?"
Yes, the gun store owner, could have mowed alot of the critter's down....hey even a scoped 10/22 would ding a zombie skull when there was no way that can get you on the roof. And the heavier rifles and odd calibers(.243, 25-06, etc) for the longer shots. See if you can line up a few in a row and break out the magnum bolt guns, and old military bolt actions.
Would have thought Ving, the old Jarhead/ Sgt in the PD would grab something with short, sweet with 30 round mags in the store rather than all the pistols...but hey it is a flick.
Pretty girl...chain saw...bad(nice to have a Victoria's Secret in the Mall!!)
Butthead jerkwad...headshot...good.
The head security guard was just acting out of old fashion self-preservation thermonuclearized by an unusual event where little factual info, other than people were dying, and attacking other people, the world had gone crazy. Our loved ones were turning on us and people were eating people. Not sure about you, but that would put my survival instinct on hyperdrive and narrow my trust in other people down to the thickness of a nanothread.
I swore I saw a sporting good store in the first scenes of the mall, well known hereabout for stocking guns and ammo, and every kind of camping gear known to man. That would be my hidey hole, my panic room.
How long does it take a zombie to starve?
Well, I am sure we'll never know...may such things rest only in the imaginations of movie writer's!!
Jercamp45

Grey54956
March 21, 2004, 10:12 PM
Zombies typically only move slow when they don't have a target. The slow shuffling of zombies can be regarded as a target acqusition mode. Moving at slow speed allows their less efficient, decaying sensory system more time to interpret sensory input.

Once a target has been identified, however, the zombie can focus all of its attention on pursuit and capture of the target, which is why it doesn't notice other potential targets.

If a group of zombies are biving chase to a group of humans and they manage to grab the rearmost human, the zombies will all attack that human to the exclusion of the others. Once the fallen human has been terminated, the zombies will then attempt to acquire a new target.

This limited interpretation ability also explains why zombies whose eyes are covered act in a very calm, non aggresive fashion. While the eyes are covered, they are unable to locate a target. They may hear potential targets, and will move slowly and turn round and round searching for their prey, but until they are able to see and confirm human movement, they will not attack. Essentially, while their eyes are covered, the world does not exist. Once the hood is lifted, however, its run like a mad zombie time.

Until they catch a skull full of buckshot.

Cosmoline
March 21, 2004, 10:37 PM
Nothing can match the original, with the Savage 99 in action!

admar2
March 21, 2004, 10:46 PM
Zombies typically only move slow when they don't have a target. The slow shuffling of zombies can be regarded as a target acqusition mode. Moving at slow speed allows their less efficient, decaying sensory system more time to interpret sensory input.

Once a target has been identified, however, the zombie can focus all of its attention on pursuit and capture of the target, which is why it doesn't notice other potential targets.

If a group of zombies are biving chase to a group of humans and they manage to grab the rearmost human, the zombies will all attack that human to the exclusion of the others. Once the fallen human has been terminated, the zombies will then attempt to acquire a new target.

This limited interpretation ability also explains why zombies whose eyes are covered act in a very calm, non aggresive fashion. While the eyes are covered, they are unable to locate a target. They may hear potential targets, and will move slowly and turn round and round searching for their prey, but until they are able to see and confirm human movement, they will not attack. Essentially, while their eyes are covered, the world does not exist. Once the hood is lifted, however, its run like a mad zombie time.

Until they catch a skull full of buckshot.

sounds like you've done some behavioral neuroscience research on zombies or something. :D

50 Freak
March 21, 2004, 11:43 PM
If I was the gun shop owner, I'd would have spent every waking hour picking off as many zombies as possible. But being worried that the extra gun shot noise would bring even more zombies (remember that some were already coming because they remembered in life that was where they spent all most of their time). I would have fashioned a silencer and shot till all my ammo was gone. This would not attract any other zombies not already coming to the mall. And this would at least lowered the final number of zombies I'd have to deal with in the end. Figure 500-1000 zombies a day would be good. But imagine the smell of dead flesh. :uhoh:

A 10/22 would have been perfect for this job.

Personally at home, I keep a lightweight AR with a 120 round drum loaded. In a zombie situation, I'd carry that and the wife gets the AK with the 75 round drums. I love Fals, but for battleing zombies, a lightweight rifle with plenty of firepower (minimal mag changes the better).

Actually I'm going out to buy a few bunch of bricks of 22 this week. Will put it next to my thousands of rounds of 223, 308 and 7.62 x39.

The Real Hawkeye
March 22, 2004, 12:45 AM
I think that Grey has been reading The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From The Living Dead, by Max Brooks.

Arcli9ht
March 22, 2004, 12:50 AM
I'm going to get yelled at for asking this... but it's always bugged me. Why dont zombies attack each other?

/Arcli9ht

um... HK USP 45 - to keep it legal :p

cool45auto
March 22, 2004, 12:58 AM
I saw it earlier today and then went to a gun show and bought an AK with two 40 round mags and one 30 rounder! You never know.

I love the shot of the nuetered Glock mag hitting the floor. I can't believe they didn't grab any assault rifles either.

Things I learned: You need hi-caps and practice head shots!

I hated the comment on the "**** nine mils" too.:cuss:

I couldn't understand why the zombies were not eating each other either. It showed two doing just that. So what's their purpose? After everyone's a zombie, they ignore each other? Do they starve to death?

Arcli9ht
March 22, 2004, 01:59 AM
From the original and its sequel, zombies don't eat for sustainance. It was something about it just being an instinct. I guess eating other zombies isnt natural... or something. :scrutiny:

My two friends and I burst out laughing at that 9mm comment. Figured it would start a little flamewar here... :evil:

/Arcli9ht

TechBrute
March 22, 2004, 02:06 AM
I heard the movie was pretty much pro-gun. Of course, what else are you going to shoot zombies with? :D

Drjones
March 22, 2004, 02:30 AM
Cheesy line about wimpy 9mm vs. .357.

See attached.
:D :D :D

It was an AWESOME, but very intense movie. One of very few movies that actually had me covering my eyes. :uhoh:

Drjones
March 22, 2004, 02:35 AM
With the older movies I would always be saying to myself, what's so dangerous about them. You can just walk at a brisk pace and stay clear of them.

:D :D :D

Don't let those zombies bother you. Just walk briskly and you'll be fine. :D

Jim March
March 22, 2004, 02:42 AM
What caliber for this?

http://www.9inchnails.net/remix-files/pictures/rz.jpg

Drjones
March 22, 2004, 02:43 AM
Couple questions for you all:

1) Did that Beretta seem chromed to anyone else? I owned an Inox 96, and its a very subdued, brushed finish. That one in the movie looked almost hard chromed. :scrutiny:

2) I've seen several people mention 22LR. Would that penetrate a human skull at distance? At approximately what distance would it no longer be effective?

22LR would be a darn fine choice for this situation, and no, I can't believe that I'm saying it either. :p Seriously; you could shoot all day long and be none the worse for recoil fatigue, and you could carry SO much ammo! :)

KaceCoyote
March 22, 2004, 02:57 AM
This may sound odd but I have reasons.

A Marlin lever action in .45-70. Why? load that puppy with slugs and you can afford to take a neck, or high chest shot. The resulting penetration is likely to -atleast- put the walking dead square on its behind and allow you plenty of time to ratchet off the next round. For my sidearm, what about a STEYR TMP? 30rnd magazine, 9mm, like what 1200rnds a minute? Perfect for dissuading further advancement whilst reloading.

Drjones
March 22, 2004, 03:05 AM
Kace:

This is one scenario where I'd actually probably prefer to stay away from higher caliber guns, especially something like the .45-70.

With all the shooting you'd be doing, I'd imagine that having as little recoil as possible would be nice.

Not only that, but you'd want to be sure to make head shots to take them out properly the first time. Need to skimp on ammo as much as possible, ya know...

I actually think an AR would be ideal, maybe an Mp5.

Ooh! Yeah! Then you could get the 10mm Mp5! That's the ticket!

Andrew Wyatt
March 22, 2004, 03:09 AM
three words. Red. Crow. Bar.

I just got back fromseeing the movie. I liked it.

KaceCoyote
March 22, 2004, 03:20 AM
Ooooohyeah. I forgot about the hoards. Ok screw that how about an RPD and a 1911 in .38 super with a heavy load?

HBK
March 22, 2004, 03:26 AM
Does everybody die? PM me the answer, somebody. I do better at horror movies when I know what's coming. ;)

Jim,
A 10mm right on the x should do the trick.

jercamp45
March 22, 2004, 07:49 AM
I think this is one place where the M-4 with a decent dot sight and soft point ammo and underslung M203 grenade launcher would really sing. Low recoil, high velocity, lots of lowweight ammo....head splat city and grenades for the large groups. Put a few AP's in the gas tank of a car/truck with nearby zombie hordes and launch a flare. And give you accuracy for headshots at distance. So we Zombie Survivalists should note the location of our nearest Army Reserve and National Guard Units or nearby military bases/road blocks they set up. To acquire additional tools.
Hmmm, and armored HumVee with MK19 grenade launcher, anyone?
Too, the Nine pistol with high caps has great head pentration, and lighter ammo...though I still like my fave .45 pistols. And a H&K UMP SMG in 45 would be pretty good for zombie repelling.
Or an AK naturally. When you absolutely have to kill every Zombie coming at you........probably the least expensive anti zombie rifle available for most folks, and simple to teach others to use. I'd rather have the 30 or 40 round mags and a little more distance that a 7 shot, tube fed , slow to reload shotty myself.
Oh, though I have not heard any studies on the subject..I imagine the .22 LR would be effective to 50 yards out of a rifle......even it if does not penetrate fully, fragments of bone should be spread though out the zomboid brain making at least a 'twitcher'. The supressed version would be very nice for zombie plinking from a safe location....though I wonder would their hearing work, or eyes...probably more the olfactory organs.
Got alot of spare time on my hands tonight.....can't you guess?
Jercamp45

Daniel
March 22, 2004, 10:38 AM
.22LR can perforate a human skull at 600 metres and counting.

Daniel’s anti-zombie kit and general advice for when the infestation begins and you are on the run and alone.

NOTE: It’s good to be prepared before the infestation begins.

* Primary head zapper: A high capacity, low recoiling automatic rifle/carbine with one of them new fangled dot thingies; for example: .22LR 10/22, 9MM MP5, 5.56MM AR-15, 5.56MM M4, et cetera.
* Backup primary head zapper/knee capper: A 12 gauge repeating shotgun; example: 12G 870, 12G M4.
* Secondary head zap: A high capacity, low recoiling automatic pistol with one of them new fangled holo thingies; example: 9MM STI race gun, .45ACP Glock 21.
* Ammo.
* A six foot hardwood pole (too many uses to list).
* A sturdy fixed bladed knife.
* Acquire a bicycle.
* A towel.
* A fork.
* A bullet/stab resistant vest: The amount of copper jacketed lead in the air will be phenomenal (especially if you live in one of those cool states).
* Plenty of electrical tape.
* Plenty of bite resistant padding to tape to your extremities with the aforementioned tape.
* A map of the area; all areas of interest clearly marked: Police station, chemist, general supplier, gun store, camping store, military base, nuclear missile silo -- everything of importance.
* A copy of the novel I AM LEGEND by Richard Matherson; though pay no attention to the plight of Neville -- it might be counter productive.
* You DID converse with your friends (ones with guns) on a plan to setup a meeting place (fortified hopefully) for times like this; meet up with them.
* Trust no one except yourself.
* You can only depend on yourself.
* Don’t act like a zombie -- you may get shot.
* Try to stay presentable, if you look like a zombie -- you may get shot.
* Contrary to fictional filmed events, a military base is a good place to be after infestation; the best toys are located here.
* A copy of the SAS survival guide by John Wiseman.
* If you so happen upon a hapless attractive female/male human -- she/he will die no matter what.
* If the zombie you killed were human; it would kill you if you were zombie -- if it could, that is.
* Get plenty of rest, and eat well.
* Clean your firearms frequently and whilst you eat, though keep one always ready for action.
* Even though you are wired as a solitary, independent hunter (if you weren’t, you would be a zombie like the rest of the sheep), make new friends to replace the ones lost to the zombie horde; they are only a threat to YOU because they ARE a horde.
* Try to avoid heavily populated cities -- nukes ARE inbound.
* If you are disabled, I emphasize -- create a zombie pile to end all zombie piles.
* Stay mobile, stay fast.
* Don’t panic.
* Everyone dies, some twice.
* A battle flag mounted on your bicycle: With any phrase you find applicable. I like “KILL ALL ZOMBIE BASTARDS”.
* Write a journal.
* Write a ballad for battle.
* Sing said ballad as you ride into battle on you bicycle.

Feel free to add any advice fellow future zombie killers.

Owen
March 22, 2004, 10:54 AM
I keep thinking a Calico .22LR with a C-more sight would be close to ideal.

And an Axe handle.

owen

Paco
March 22, 2004, 12:18 PM
I absolutely LOVED this movie, and that's that I own and watch the originals all the time and own 28dayslater as well. I thought that they grabbed a great idea and made it better and more palatable for the "why-didn't-they" and "would if..." crowds. The single fact that the zombies try to make it to a target with such single-mindedness and speed (speed being the greatest addition in this movie) is what makes them so deadly; they fight as a strongly cohesive unit. No egos, or BS to wade through, they don't fight among themselves, they aren't demoralized or easily distracted once keyed in on a target, they're fearless, and they give it their all when they fight! Besides, they smartly made you realize that this is a virus, not some condition inflicted by god on the buried dead (though it might have started like that on the first few that weren't uber-decomposed and could still move). In that sense one can't really compare it to the first one: they aren't necessarily the dead risen, but reanimated bodies who are highly infectious. Remember too, this would catch any people, any town, and any society with their pants down: who the heck would think that the dead could walk, er, run! So imagine if you will, that it's the dead of night (no pun intended), all you're at your post pulling guard duty, bored outta your mind and not all that focused when suddenly THOUSANDS of 'people'? are running full speed towards the base. You probably wouldn't open fire yet until you saw what they were, and by then you're overrun. The infection in the great cities would spread like wild fire even in one night because of their agressive nature, and once the zombies have enough numbers? well, the cat's outta the bag.
Guns of choice that I own:
-870 12ga. -has actual 'knockdown' power on the zombies by delimbing them
-5906 - high cap 9mm: perfect sidearm for definitive headshots.
-Taurus m62 22.lr. for when I could bunker up and help thin the lines.

This movie was GREAT mind candy.

Logan5
March 22, 2004, 01:03 PM
Anyone know anything about the film armorer?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0074235/
Looking through his credits, there's some fun stuff, but also a lot of things I've never seen. People who do this stuff for a living have a huge impact on how the general public percieve guns, I'd think, and yet there's very little coverage on them in movie or gun hobbyist press... I'd love to a gun magazine interview a few of these people.
Another thing I thought was interesting was how, even though it's a kind of wacked out scenario, just tons of the things they do seem to correspond to the "commonly avoidable pitfalls" in the last Louis Awerbuck column I read. I guess the same broad principles even apply to flesh eating zombies?

Drjones
March 22, 2004, 02:01 PM
No offense, but I'm a bit skeptical of the 600+ meter claim for the 22LR. :scrutiny:

Even if it is true, would the bullet have sufficient velocity left to actually do damage, or would it merely penetrate the skull very shallow?

Paco
March 22, 2004, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure about the 600meter thing either but still, if one could bunker up, the gun to have would be a .22lr of some sort, preferably not a bobcat:D . I thought Ving handled himself and the 870 like a pro, but I thought the Gun-shop owner was either lazy or unmotivated or something for not having puts some real FIRE on those critters.

p.s What's the drop at 600meters for a 22? I bet one would have to call it in like a morter!

-Paco

Greg Bell
March 22, 2004, 02:38 PM
I think anything other than the plinking he did would have been crazy. I don't care if I'm holed up at the winchester factory, the streets were filled with and endless supply of zombies. He could have had an Mg42 going all day and never stopped them. May as well conserve your ammo for when you need it.

Drjones
March 22, 2004, 02:43 PM
Did anyone else notice that armorer was born in france? :scrutiny: :confused:

Paco
March 22, 2004, 02:53 PM
Could you imagine, that if the zombies were throwing us gun-toting Americans around, how bad it would be in places like India or China(or in France for that matter) with dense populations and few guns in the hands of citizentry. A disagree with the 'no-shooting-zombies-waste-of-ammo' commentary. Think of that town, having maybe 150,000 folks and how many rounds in one gun store. It would take some time but ya gotta start somewhere! Besides if the gun owner had to bug out, which he eventually would have to, he'd only be able to take what he could carry. I have several thousand rounds on .22lr so just by myself, one person, if I was bunkered up: in a few days I could drop the zombie-gene-pool by a few thousand! Fun crap to discuss! So what guns fellas?
Don't forget mobility-but don't get surrounded in your car.
-paco

Sportcat
March 22, 2004, 02:55 PM
Remember to save one round for yourself - just in case!

Greg Bell
March 22, 2004, 02:58 PM
Paco,

True. Although, I think I would have tried to cook a few Zombies and feed them to the Security guards to see if it got em'!

Plus, sooner or later that whole area was going to burn down for one reason or another. So, I guess, you might as well blast away! It would probably make you feel better anyway.

drone23
March 22, 2004, 03:01 PM
That movie was a commercial for standard capacity mags if I have ever seen one.

-D

The Real Hawkeye
March 22, 2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I think the gun store guy should have sniped them all. He could use a .22, and just shoot them as they get within 50 yards. The rest will climb over the corpses to take thier place, and this way, he would have them all in a matter of a day or two. Then he could have joined his friends. Also, if .22 proved ineffective, he could have used .223, 243, 22-250, and kept going like that till he ran out of one caliber, then switched guns to another. He could also switch guns to let them cool off after every 20 rounds or so. He'd obviously prefer the varmint calibers, because he needs to do a lot of shooting. Even with those, he would eventually get a sore shoulder, but he could rig something up that would absorb the recoil instead of his shoulder, or just used a PAST recoil shield, or two, which I'm sure he had a dozen of downstairs. There is no excuse for him not clearing the streets that way in a couple of days. After the entire town population was cleared out, the few stragglers in town would be easy to deal with. In fact, they should have figured a system to attract all the zombies from neighboring towns to that same location, after this town's pop was dealt with, and popped all them too. No excuse for that man starving with all that ammo and all those guns, and all his skills with a scoped rifle. That leaving out the fact that there are probably other gun shops in the area they could resupply from. Now that you've brought this up, it ruins the movie for me. :fire: Now I won't be able to watch it again without thinking "why the heck doesn't he pop them all from the roof." They should have provided some explanation for that in the movie, like, there was a run on ammo when the trouble first broke out. Yeah, that's the ticket. :evil:

Greg Bell
March 22, 2004, 03:13 PM
The towns population was listed as 750,000 in the commercial. The dead seemed to be able to sense the living. I seriously doubt he had 750,000 rounds (assuming he hit head every time). Even if only 200,000 showed there was no way he was going to clear them out. They were skaa-rewed.

Paco
March 22, 2004, 03:14 PM
Hawkeye,

Funny you should say that: that is exactly how I rationalized it as I was watching the movie. His store was cleared out, he made a bundle of money but only kept a couple of thousand for himself (thinking) until the military could handle the rest. If he did have all that ammo, then he got his just desserts: zombified then delivered by the Ving-870-toprotectandserve-special.

-Paco

p.s. Calico .22 sounds like a good choice.

p.p.s Good point greg. Imagine NYC: wiped clean off the planet. Still, I'm an optimist and every little counts:D

Paco
March 22, 2004, 03:18 PM
Sorry: not to be a thread hog, but:

-Any Military Armorers out there? How much ammo is in a national guard barrack or army/marine/airforce/navy munitions dump?

The Real Hawkeye
March 22, 2004, 03:28 PM
The towns population was listed as 750,000 in the commercial. The dead seemed to be able to sense the living. I seriously doubt he had 750,000 rounds (assuming he hit head every time). Even if only 200,000 showed there was no way he was going to clear them out. They were skaa-rewed.Yeah, but I bet he had reloading equipment stocked, with lots of bullets in all calibers, and lots of smokeless of all varieties, and primers. He might even have had a camper's generator to power the tumbler, which would have made the reloading process move faster. Each case can, in an emergency, be reloaded five or six times. Not to mention, I bet he has at least 50,000 rounds of .22 rimfire. This is all assuming he wasn't cleaned out the morning all this broke out. I doubt people would have cleaned him out of reloading supplies though. He could have divided his time between reloading and sniping. Could have made a serious dent in the density of those buggers anyway.

Drjones
March 22, 2004, 03:39 PM
Heck, if nothing else, staying bunked in one spot is safer and more FUN!

I mean, where are you going to go? And as we saw, not even islands are safe... :uhoh:

In a situation like that, I would hunker down in a gun shop and hone my plinking skills. Fortunately, there aren't any gun stores near the malls in my city. :)

Checkman
March 22, 2004, 04:03 PM
Zombies in the open. Add 100 and Fire for Effect. I actually saw the original when it was at the theaters back in 79. Scared the heck out of me. Anyway what it really comes down to is the scriptwriter realized that fans of the movies had poked holes in the original concept over the past two decades. So he had the dead rise up and overthrow society overnight - negating any possibility of an organized operation to get them under control or at least set up well armed and heavily fortified enclaves of the living. He then makes them fast for obvious reasons.

After all since 1979 there have been numerous video games, comic books and books come out about flesh eating zombies. Audiences are more jaded. So the Zombies are beefed up.

Greg Bell
March 22, 2004, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I love it when folks I talk to say "Dawn of the Dead" it is a rip-off of "28 days." I just laugh.:D

Paco
March 22, 2004, 04:21 PM
Excellent point Checkman!

Hey, just to keep it gun related and maybe break the 100 mark on posts, what would you grab if you had a MINUTE right when you break into the gunshop/Walmart/SportsAuthority etc. You're being chased in there and there's no way to adequately barracade the place in that time but maybe enough time to find the lock keys, unlock a gun, maybe two and snag a box or four of ammunition before you're overrunned: kinda like what happened in the movie except they could have stayed in the gunshop had they food and water. My choice would be a shotgun or leveraction since I could get it up and running much faster than a box-mag gun of any sort, then maybe a revolver in .38 special because it doesn't kick as much and I could reload it fast. It's all about speed with these mothers.

-Paco

41mag
March 22, 2004, 04:58 PM
In a hurry I'd grab an SKS & as many stripper clips as I could find.I can load one of those singly pretty fast but w/a stripper clip ....zing-slam-BANG!
BTW I love zombie movies.I can't wait to see this one!:D

mephisto
March 22, 2004, 05:27 PM
Now if I were in a zombie “situation” I would try to make it to a missile silo. Or something with one door. But I think the best thing is to get to a military base and get all the “stuff” you could get. Stuff would be MREs and any gun and its ammo that you could load into a hummer. And make sure that that hummer has a .50 on it, I mean one hit with a .50 and your down, for the feisty undead. I think a flame thrower would be cool to. The silo would be the best bet for survival. Now for the big question….. how long can the zombies “live”? In 28 days later they had a life cycle, I cant remember what it was, based on starvation

jercamp45
March 22, 2004, 05:58 PM
If you can secure it, a Walmarts...especially a Super Walmarts would not be a bad place to hole up. Plenty of food, water, supplies, a few guns and ammo...proably got alot more ammo stashed in the back to the building too!
As for grabbing stugg on the go, it may not be good however. The Walmarts I have seen no longer stock handguns and all the rifles and shotguns have trigger locks and are for strictly sporting purposes. No short barrel shotguns, mainly bolt guns in non standard calibers, and a few lever guns. Getting those trigger locks off in a hurry would be a bugger.
My gunshop is closer and they have better artillery. First thing would be a bag to load up my goodies. Then .45 ammo and more mags to feed my 1911 family.I think I'd be grabbing at least one but preferably a pair of quality AR's, the primaryone with a 16 inch barrel the other with a longer barrel and scope, mags and ammo(ammo in stripper clips here too!).
Personally I prefer the AK for CQB, but the AR reaches further with more accuracy, has lighter ammo and better chance of resupply. And it would be a more precise instrument for continual head shots on rapidly moving hordes.
If I still had time or a car with room, I'd add more ammo and a few handguns and rifles, mags for each(to arm my fellow human survivors unless they are bitten, of course).
BUT... you would probably want hunker down and use what you have
in the location you are familiar with,if it is secure. So keep foodwater, mags and ammo at home, a Bug Out Bag and full tank of gas in the car and have a plan.
600 yards with a 22? It'll reach that far, yes. But I doubt it would pentrate a skull at that distance, let alone be accurate enought to hit a head. The 22...3 would, but most of us cannot hit a head at 5-600 yards with just any kind of rifle(that includes me and I was trained in rifle by the Marines). The long range stuff is the providence of the long range rifles and scopes(for head shots). I am not saying it cannot be done, it is just doubtful that most people, even those fairly familiar with guns can do it(Hence my above mentions desire for a 20 to 24 inch accurate AR with scope mention above).
For the most part our threat zone is in rings, the closer the more danger. Since Zombies do not shot back, the first 50 yards are what we worry about most. Anything else is gravy.
Good thread!
Jercamp45

Drjones
March 22, 2004, 06:03 PM
Now for the big question….. how long can the zombies “live”?

Very good question!

I fear it may be longer than we think; can't people go about two weeks without food?

Do zombies need water? If so, their life span would be what, a week MAX?

Somehow I doubt zombies need water...they probably get that from blood and brains...

The Real Hawkeye
March 22, 2004, 06:24 PM
So far no one has mentioned the potential effectiveness of Molatov Cocktails. From roofs thrown into the middle of a crowd of zombies, they would be really good at high volume zombie elimination. You throw one in the middle of the crowd (so as to avoid catching buildings on fire), and then wait till they re-congregate there, and do it again. Repeat as necessary, then rinse. :D

jercamp45
March 22, 2004, 06:44 PM
No firetrucks around to put out the fires you start! May not be any water pressure for you to douse them either.
Improvised Flammable devices are worthy to consider and may be necessary, but remember all those brush fires every year? Wind spreads flame! And Fire has a mind of its own, and can be quite tenacious.Which is not bad if everything was Zombified, but it cooks the possibility of resupply and may come back to bite you in the butt(forces you to flee from your well stocked hide into the hordes of Zomboids you have not cooked).
Jercamp45

Josh
March 22, 2004, 06:46 PM
Somebody mentioned starving the Zombies like in 28DL.

The Infected in 28DL were still human, still alive, just infected. DOD Zombies are already dead. I'm not holding out any hope of starving the buggers. Don't they eat the branis of the living?

I think it's gross but they say it tastes just like chicken.

I'll take a Tommygun with the 100 round drums and a G21 with the full cap mags as a sidearm. Yeah, a .22 may get it done but I'm not betting my life on it.

Live & die with the .45

Josh

azrael
March 22, 2004, 06:48 PM
If you watch "Day Of the Dead"(original)the Dr. guy is talking about zombies living for years because they dont need to eat...

My "ZOMBIE" weapons would be as follows:

Ak47 or Mak-90 w/75rd drums and bucketloads of ammo
or
Ar15 .223 Flat top with red dot and bucketloads of ammo
and
Cut down 870 on a tactical thigh holster w/belt shell carriers
and
Dual shoulder hoslters for XD-9 compacts
and
Belt slide for Springy XD-9 and BUCKETLOADS of ammo and mags.
and
Kel-tec S2K 9mm <~~just because its neat!!!

Food and Gunshops would be the first things I hit up...

Checkman
March 22, 2004, 07:11 PM
My big question is aren't the Zombies still organic? Excluding the fact that they are now walking around (or sprinting) they are dead. Therefore they will decay - right? In the movie it looks like they're decaying so why not just try to wait it out? Of course there is always that darn logistical situation, but what the heck.

As far as weapons go I'd have to go with an M-15/AR-15, a couple 9 mms(personal preference would be Sigs, but Glocks, Rugers Berettas, would all be good), and a good 12 guage Riot Gun (Remington, Winchester, etc.)

Of course if I could get hold of Claymores, mortars, and grenades I wouldn't complain.

Now I'm a 45 fan, but as another poster stated to kill the Zombies you "only" need to punch a bullet into their heads. It's been my experience that the 9mm can be fired rapidly,has a fast recovery time, and it's a nice target round plus it has the ability to punch through skulls. And of course one can stuff more 9mm rounds into a magazine (even the Clinton magazines) which ,in a Zombie war, the number of rounds that one can spray DOES matter.

The biggest problem with the Zombies is they outnumber you ten thousand to one and never retreat. They are a true hoarde.

Well, I suppose if you're far enough away, nukes might do the job. :D :D :D

Deadman
March 22, 2004, 07:14 PM
Zombie virus hitting India and China. :what:

I would NOT want to be in Tibet at that time!

azrael
March 22, 2004, 07:22 PM
here is a little bit of info for ya:

Dawn of the Dead (anchorbay edition) should come out in Sept...will be duel disk....

If ya wanna watch a good old school "ZOMBIE" movie that really "set the standard" watch Lucio Fulci's ZOMBIE...

As any of you know I am a huge Fulci fan...If you want to read about his more "KNOWN" zombie movies then goto my website and click the "LUCIO FULCI'S BRAINS" link on my website...OHHH yea buy a holster while your there, I need some more weapons:D

KaceCoyote
March 22, 2004, 07:51 PM
I dunno I think it may be a damn fine policy to stock only one caliber. IE if ???? goes down. Take a magazine fed 9mm of your choosing and any number of pistol mag accepting carbines. a UMP-45 would be nice, an MP5, MP5/10. Of course, a 9mm M4 carbine would be nice too. Anyone familar with the TAR-21? Israeli plastic rifle. Like the Aug you just change 2-3 bits and walla..different caliber. it goes from .223, to 9mm in I -think- 5 minutes without hand tools. Red dot sight uptop..

Wanderer
March 22, 2004, 08:34 PM
Hm, If I were holed up in/on a gunshop, I'd probably reinforce the doors with crappy rifles/shotguns, and rig up some booby traps. Wait it out and snipe with something like a .243, or .223. Up close, I'm screwed, so I might as well have a MAC10 in each hand, dual Beretta's with 33rd'ers, and some grenades strapped to my body. Fire weapons, once empty Rip the pins out of the grenades and charge. Might as well go out with a bang! :cool:

Grey54956
March 22, 2004, 09:46 PM
I think that Grey has been reading The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From The Living Dead, by Max Brooks.

This is one of the best books ever. I picked it up months ago...

It changed my life, and it can change yours, too.

MAKOwner
March 22, 2004, 11:03 PM
Is the moive ZOMBIE in black and white? I've seen someone else recommend it but all I found was some really old black and white voodoo zombie movie by that name, looked crappy... Does Blockbuster carry it?

azrael
March 22, 2004, 11:42 PM
MAKOwner,

yea it is in color...it was made in 1979...it is one of the best "zombie" movies ever done..I highly recommend it to anyone..

I dont know if Blockbuster carriers it...they carry mostly mainstream horror (lame crap!)...wouldnt hurt to ask though..

It can be bought on DVD or VHS on Amazon.com the last time I checked and should a part of anyones Horror collection...

I would also want one of those calico 9mm thingys...to help with zombie problems:D

Andrew Wyatt
March 23, 2004, 12:27 AM
I'd be awful tempted to just off myself once i figured out that everyone was a zombie, hope that i'm not braught back to consciousness when i'm zombiefied and call it good.

Jeff
March 23, 2004, 12:36 AM
I've thought about this for awhile, and I think the best weapons system for either lurching zombies or frenetic zombies would simply be a pair of Glock 17s with as many loaded 30 rd mags as possible. Even the standard capacity mags hold 17 pops apiece.

Think about it: you don't need anything powerful or long distance. We're talking about close-up work that requires a head shot. One weapon for each hand, since you would likely find yourself in the middle of large hordes on an occasional basis. The Glock 9mm is about as reliable as a handgun gets, needs very little maintenance, and is accurate enough for close range work. You can find 9mm ammo anywhere. You can carry the mags in bandolero slots (elastic ones), thus having as many effective (ie-- no .22lr) rds of ammo on your person as possible.

I would also carry on my back an 18" Ontario machete with a convex edge, for a more durable edge while hacking through undead bone and sinew.

Greg Bell
March 23, 2004, 01:15 AM
FN P90 w/dot or laser on Semi!

Logan5
March 23, 2004, 01:35 AM
Yet another thought... I'm sure we all noticed how Ving had his shotgun, but not whatever his Fiction, Wisconsin PD issue sidearm was. From what I can tell from the released still photos in various places, he's also missing his extra ammo and handcuffs, but whatever... Would a lanyard have been a good idea? Or just another zombie grab handle?
I'd love to have seen how he lost half his gear... what do you suppose he had in his bag?
Another thing I would have loved more of was the "news" footage. Some of riot police moving in and such seemed cribbed from real news. IIRC, when the Istanbul reporter got overrun, there was a G.I. type guarding the entryway to the room with tac vest, thigh drop something or other (gas mask? Sidearm?) and M4 type item who didn't even get a shot off. What's up with that? Only rifle in the film, and... We need some frame captures.
Regarding the negative 9mm comments; didn't the guy who got flattened by the ambulance in the first ten minutes have some kind of 1911 variant? Kind of looked that way to me, but it was too fast to really tell.
I'd definitely go for picking them off from some kind of barricade position rather than letting them get all bitey on me. Heh, I think before rendering aid to bite victims, I'd send someone to the sporting goods store in the mall to grab some ski boots in their size and make them put them on... no superfast chasing after me! ;)

MAKOwner
March 23, 2004, 01:37 AM
I don't think any standard pistol would be ideal for your main zombie gun. You'd be stuck with just a little too much of a short range gun. I mean a head shot on a zombie running at you from 25+ yards would be a fairly hard shot with something like a Glock. I'd like to start engaging a rushing bunch of zombies from as far away as possible, every extra yard could be important... Where as with a AR or AK you'd be good for a bit more distance, take em a little bit sooner and perhaps save your arse, plus they are accurate enough to be used from a rooftop on zombies farther out who aren't an immediate threat... Now maybe a 9mm carbine like a MP5 or similar would be great, but not a pistol by my thinking... Course I'd certainly want a good highcap 9mm pistol for my backup piece though, but that would be a last-ditch piece/twitcher-capper...

I've thought about this for awhile, and I think the best weapons system for either lurching zombies or frenetic zombies would simply be a pair of Glock 17s with as many loaded 30 rd mags as possible. Even the standard capacity mags hold 17 pops apiece.

Think about it: you don't need anything powerful or long distance. We're talking about close-up work that requires a head shot. One weapon for each hand, since you would likely find yourself in the middle of large hordes on an occasional basis. The Glock 9mm is about as reliable as a handgun gets, needs very little maintenance, and is accurate enough for close range work. You can find 9mm ammo anywhere. You can carry the mags in bandolero slots (elastic ones), thus having as many effective (ie-- no .22lr) rds of ammo on your person as possible.

KaceCoyote
March 23, 2004, 02:36 AM
Yaknow. I'm gonna get poked at for saying this but I'll tell ya I just saw the movie tonight. (It rawked like the Flintstones rollin in dubs...yo) I think an Mp5/10,M1 carbine or...one of those Saiga 12s with the folding buttstock. Magazine fed, 12 guage, folding stock means I can switch to my long range peice in short order. All this business about taking down entire mobs isnt terribly intelligent in my mind. Sure a feather .22 with a scope would be fun but, wouldnt some improvised explosives be more efficient? That one propane tank took out like -how- many zombies?

c_yeager
March 23, 2004, 02:48 AM
I'm not real confident on 22lr in punching through a human skull reliably. Sure you could get shots off quick but, if you dont scramble their goods you arent accomplishing anything.

MAKOwner
March 23, 2004, 03:35 AM
With the skull being rounded I think you'd get some shots deflecting off the zombies' heads if you didn't get a good enough hit. For sniping hundreds of zombies from safety that's fine, but I don't want a .22lr for anything where you're actually in danger of them getting to you. That's where the AK or AR comes into play IMO...

ny32182
March 23, 2004, 03:58 AM
I just saw it... I enjoyed it a lot.

My biggest 'dissapointment' was the lack of EBRs... oh well. My gun choices for that situation as well as any other SHTF situation would be AR or AK with lots of mags, and a wondernine.

I thought the beginning was pretty well done... how they kept missing the news reports on the radio/TV, and found out in person the hard way.

I don't think the gun store owner could have done any real thinning of that crowd with anything short of a minigun.

I was also wondering exactly how long they were holed up in the mall. Indications were less than a month, IMO, but if anyone picked up any more specific details, let me know.

Kodiak AK
March 23, 2004, 09:10 AM
Logan5 The preview I downloaded is to low res(blurry) to realy tell , but I think it is a sig .

Zach S
March 23, 2004, 09:29 AM
Everyone is mentioning guns, but at some point, assuming you last, you will run out of ammo. This is why everyone should own at least one sword:D

No short barrel shotguns, mainly bolt guns in non standard calibers, and a few lever guns. Getting those trigger locks off in a hurry would be a bugger.

Be familiar with the store. There is a hardware section too, with prybars and hacksaws. Securing a walmart is a great idea and I'd prefer it over a gunshop if the manpower was available, although I'd probably stop at one on the way. Gunshops dont normally have a lot of survailence, groceries, appliances, oodles of flashlights and camping gear, not to mention all the s*** that might come in handy elsewhere in the store.

I'll take a Tommygun with the 100 round drums and a G21 with the full cap mags as a sidearm. Have you priced a C-drum lately? Good luck finding one. Besides, thompson drums are too hard to do a quick reload with, unless you are a freak and have three arms. I've only got one 50 round drum for mine, and although I wouldn't mind having another, I still prefer sticks since theyre easier to reload and refill, and at 10 to 15 bucks each, anyone who owns a thompson should have plenty on hand (although I'll admit, I only have six 30s).

cracked butt
March 23, 2004, 09:40 AM
Build yourself one of these bait them into a long alley or narrow street and cut loose.

The Real Hawkeye
March 23, 2004, 09:58 AM
At some point in this thread, someone made mention of a fiction novel they read which had to do with a similar situation. At the time, I meant to write down the title and author and look into it, but was short on time. I intended to come back to it later, but now I can't find it. Does anyone remember the title of the book and the author (not the one about Voodoo)? Thanks. I got the impression it was a sci-fi/horror.

Paco
March 23, 2004, 10:41 AM
Great posts since I was last on!

-OK, I feel the .22 is relevant once you're holed up.
.22=community service: you gotta do your part!
If you waited for the miltary to handle it with airstrikes and ordinance and whatnot, you'll realize the greatest danger in that plan, and someone already mentioned it: fire. There would be soooo many fires and no manpower to stop it, so it would be prudent to keep fires down and clean up the old fashion hard way-sweep and clear, house to house. With the zombies everywhere, you wouldn't have a country if you bombed everywhere they were. Oh, as for the guys that would snag up five rifles and pistols AND ammo for all of these: good luck running when they chase you down.

mmmmm.... Gun...owner... tasteee... mmmm

ditto on the walmart: the modern day fortress. One could stand a siege in there for months even years if the group was small enough and rationed stuff. BUT, remember, your pants are down around your ankle, the whole world surprised and you or a few others have a minute or two to secure a whole walmart. By the way, how would it work for leadership under such circumstances-the rule of the gun? or democracy?

-Paco

starfuryzeta
March 23, 2004, 01:37 PM
IIRC, when the Istanbul reporter got overrun, there was a G.I. type guarding the entryway to the room with tac vest, thigh drop something or other (gas mask? Sidearm?) and M4 type item who didn't even get a shot off. What's up with that? Only rifle in the film, and... We need some frame captures.

IIRC, he did get off a shot or two at torso level before getting swamped. Now, my memory isn't as good as it used to be, but didn't that trooper have on a light blue UN helmet?

Slimjim
March 23, 2004, 02:18 PM
I dunno why they didnt build potato guns and fire bits of random stuff at the zombies, from the roof tops, just use it like a cannon, broken glass and then broom handle peices or concrete stuff, heck it might be enough force to penetrate.

Rebar
March 23, 2004, 03:49 PM
I think I'll have to vote for the 9mm, figure a Beretta Storm and a '92. A 9mm hole in a zombie skull would work just as well as a .357 or .45 hole. Be able to scrounge up 9mm and mags for a long time.

eatatjoes
March 23, 2004, 07:30 PM
At some point in this thread, someone made mention of a fiction novel they read which had to do with a similar situation. At the time, I meant to write down the title and author and look into it, but was short on time. I intended to come back to it later, but now I can't find it. Does anyone remember the title of the book and the author (not the one about Voodoo)? Thanks. I got the impression it was a sci-fi/horror.

I am legend by Richard Matheson?

i just started it based on the suggestion in this thread and it reads very fast and is interesting.

The Real Hawkeye
March 23, 2004, 07:58 PM
eatatjoes, thanks. This time I will write it down. ;)

Logan5
March 23, 2004, 09:57 PM
starfuryzeta,
I recall that he had a helmet, but it was (I guess on purpose) too grainy faux news looking... No idea if it was blue. Last time I was in Istanbul, all I saw were aging MP5's with the skinny forearm, so I guess he wasn't Turkish police... well, not circa 1994. Still, any port in a [zombie] storm...

I'd kind of think that for real eradication, you would want to draw them into a trap; like maybe a dry culvert or other moat-like, concrete ditch with '12ish vertical walls, fairly away from flammable buildings and such, then dump in gas/deisel, then torch them. A bajillion headshots is just too many rounds of ammo, although if you had them, and a secure position, I'd figure it can't hurt and might help.
What would the effect be of driving the mall escape shuttle deal with the snowplow on it full on into a giant mass of zombies? Like hitting a ton of deer, or just squishy?

admar2
March 23, 2004, 10:34 PM
glad somebody mentioned the IED bit.

why the heck did they wait till they were swamped to use the propane bombs.

I'm assuming they had a few, so why not chuck em off the roof and zombie blast o rama. not like there's anything in the parking lot to catch fire.

and one would think the gun store guy had plenty o potential IED necessary supplies.

I too noticed Ving was missing lotsa gear, I just figured that would be typical of a cop/guy who had been through the ringer already, used up all the pistol ammo including spare mags and somehow lost his sidearm.

maybe he was tryin to handcuff a zombie and lost his cuffs :D

Labinnac
March 24, 2004, 11:26 AM
My ombiezay thread got closed because of this one...

Curse those attentive mods!

If we ever DO get overrun with ombiezays they're gonna regret not letting have more than one thread about them open at once...

Arcli9ht
March 24, 2004, 01:56 PM
The night after seeing it, the potato gun idea occured to me. Why couldnt they send the gun shop owner food via improvised pvc cannon? You can live off of potatos or other foods that can easily be crammed into a tube and delivered via hairspray (or propane). Might take a while to get trajectory correct, but it could work.

I second the motion to be using propane cans on the crowd... heck, I'd have been doing that for sport. :evil:

Also, im sure the gunshop owner had cans of blackpowder and shot in his shop, IED's should have been made on day 2.

/Arcli9ht

Nightcrawler
March 27, 2004, 05:29 AM
Saw it tonight.

I kind of liked it, but I kind of didn't. I mean, as far as zombie movies goes, it was pretty good.

But, a few things:

-When you have your zombie plague basically wipe out the whole world, it kind of defeats the purpose of the characters' struggle for survival, since it's futile anyway. It may be all well and good to go on some artsy tirade about mankind struggling in the face of futility, but there are better venues for such philosophical jibber-jabber than a movie with zombies in it.

-Since it was a horror movie, and modern "horror" movies are really just "gross" movies (especially in this genre), one went expecting to see blood and gore for its own sake. However, the trend in the movie seemed to be "Let's have horrilble things happen to women and children. It's more shocking that way!" The woman being cut in half with the chainsaw. The zombie baby. The zombie little girl. The zombie boyfriend running off and attacking the girl, after he can't catch the heroine's car. The woman in the back of the transit bus being mauled alive by two zombies. It's just me, I know, some weird by-product of my subconscious, but I really, REALLY don't like seeing violence against women, especially to such a gory degree. I'm sure most people are much less bothered by such a thing (in a movie, at least) than I am, though.

-The carnage scenes in the beginning were intersting. The fires, the so-obviously-CGI car accidents. I have a thing about seeing car accidents (I was in one when I was five. Maybe I'm scarred for life? Tell the DNC I need government aid!), so those scenes were "scarier" for me than they might have otherwise been.

-The big plot hole, of course, was how such a virus could spread so rapidly, world-wide, over night. (It'd have to start somewhere, but would likely be contained to that landmass, at least; the virus seemed to "zombify" within minutes, and zombies aren't getting on airliners.) But, if it built up slowly, you'd lose the "apocolyptic" sense that they were sort of shooting for, but I don't think zombie movies are really the best choice for a emotional drama about facing the end of the world as we know it.

And why didn't the zombies chase the dog?

In a zombie movie, you expect most of the main characters to die. It's tradition. But typically, the woman and (often) the black guy survive. IN this movie, apparently everybody died. I don't know if having an entire movie where everybody dies at the end is "artistic" or just a cheap trick to try to be scary, but whatever.

People talk about when TSHTF...well, that's about as hitting the fan as the **** can get, folks. And you know what? The tricked out AR-15 and all that ammo isn't going to help much. Eventually, you're going to run out of ammo, or your'e going to have to sleep. And even if you do hole up someplace secluded, so what? The zombie plague was, apparently, world wide, with no means of stopping it. It's the end. You're not going to have any children. You're not going to get married. Everyone you've ever really loved is dead, and trying to eat you nonetheless. Civilization is gone. Humanity is done for. The remainder of your life is just you waiting to die, with nothing in the way of accomplishment to pass the time.

Kinda takes all the fun out of running around with your rifle, hey? LOL

In the original Dawn of the Dead, it was stated that the Zombies needed to eat to keep them going. If that's the case, then there is hope; the "zombie virus" would eventually burn itself out, like ebola, simply because there'd be more zombies in most places than people for them to eat. And eventually, the existing zombies will rot away in any case. The trick after that (assuming you survive) is making sure the plague doesn't reoccur.

My vote: If you like zombie movies, go see it. I think perhaps I'm getting to old for this, though, at the ripe old age of 22. I don't really like gory slasher flicks, I certainly don't like seeing young women in agony, screaming as they're ripped apart, and I think the zombie baby bit was just wrong. I guess I'm getting prudish. :uhoh:

threeseven
March 27, 2004, 05:56 AM
If anyone is still wondering, zombies don't eat other zombies or dead humans because zombies don't eat necrotic flesh. They will pass up carion in favour of live prey every single time. A zombie might theoretically eat another, very fresh zombie, but it's highly unlikely.

Greg Bell
March 27, 2004, 10:43 AM
Oh yeah Nightcrawler, well I say!

"-When you have your zombie plague basically wipe out the whole world, it kind of defeats the purpose of the characters' struggle for survival, since it's futile anyway. It may be all well and good to go on some artsy tirade about mankind struggling in the face of futility, but there are better venues for such philosophical jibber-jabber than a movie with zombies in it."

Nah, I like it when a movie skips the canned happy ending. Some times things don't work out.

"-Since it was a horror movie, and modern "horror" movies are really just "gross" movies (especially in this genre), one went expecting to see blood and gore for its own sake. However, the trend in the movie seemed to be "Let's have horrilble things happen to women and children. It's more shocking that way!" The woman being cut in half with the chainsaw. The zombie baby. The zombie little girl. The zombie boyfriend running off and attacking the girl, after he can't catch the heroine's car. The woman in the back of the transit bus being mauled alive by two zombies. It's just me, I know, some weird by-product of my subconscious, but I really, REALLY don't like seeing violence against women, especially to such a gory degree. I'm sure most people are much less bothered by such a thing (in a movie, at least) than I am, though.""

You really better skip "the Exorcist."

"-The big plot hole, of course, was how such a virus could spread so rapidly, world-wide, over night. (It'd have to start somewhere, but would likely be contained to that landmass, at least; the virus seemed to "zombify" within minutes, and zombies aren't getting on airliners.) But, if it built up slowly, you'd lose the "apocolyptic" sense that they were sort of shooting for, but I don't think zombie movies are really the best choice for a emotional drama about facing the end of the world as we know it."

This is a movie about animated corpses eating human flesh! That in itself is a big plot hole. Plus, I'm not really sure that it was a virus at all. Who knows?

And why didn't the zombies chase the dog?

Well maybe if the movie was set in Kore....O.K. I'll stop! :D

"In a zombie movie, you expect most of the main characters to die. It's tradition. But typically, the woman and (often) the black guy survive. IN this movie, apparently everybody died. I don't know if having an entire movie where everybody dies at the end is "artistic" or just a cheap trick to try to be scary, but whatever. '

It is neither. It is the end of the story. They can't all end the same. That would be boring.

"People talk about when TSHTF...well, that's about as hitting the fan as the **** can get, folks. And you know what? The tricked out AR-15 and all that ammo isn't going to help much. Eventually, you're going to run out of ammo, or your'e going to have to sleep. And even if you do hole up someplace secluded, so what? The zombie plague was, apparently, world wide, with no means of stopping it. It's the end. You're not going to have any children. You're not going to get married. Everyone you've ever really loved is dead, and trying to eat you nonetheless. Civilization is gone. Humanity is done for. The remainder of your life is just you waiting to die, with nothing in the way of accomplishment to pass the time."

Bah, everything is just waiting to die. Get up and fight soldier!

"In the original Dawn of the Dead, it was stated that the Zombies needed to eat to keep them going. If that's the case, then there is hope; the "zombie virus" would eventually burn itself out, like ebola, simply because there'd be more zombies in most places than people for them to eat. And eventually, the existing zombies will rot away in any case. The trick after that (assuming you survive) is making sure the plague doesn't reoccur."

That was the assumption. but in "Day of the Dead" they showed that the zombies desire to eat, but do not need to.

I say the movie is a hoot. This isn't great art folks, it is a rollercoaster shoot-em-up zombie flick with all the trimmings!

GHB

The Real Hawkeye
March 27, 2004, 11:04 AM
I think it was Nightcrawler who was lamenting that if this really happened, it would be the end of humanity, and no point in trying. That's actually not true at all. People have one HUGE advantage over zombies. We have a fully functioning human brain. We are a LOT smarter than they are (certainly the stupid people will be dead or zombified within the first few weeks, leaving only above average people around to clean up the mess). You could do things like set up traps to kill thousands at a time (just look at the ideas thought of here). Eventually, the people who were left would eradicate them.

The disease is spread only from bites. No more zombies, no more bites. And it seems that this disease is human specific, as are many diseases. Animals cannot contract it, nor spread it.

What was the origin? I suspect it was developed as a weapon of war, and it got out somehow, as in most other zombie movies.

Mulliga
March 27, 2004, 11:11 AM
You're criticizing the wrong plot holes. How about these?

- Vivian (girl zombie at the beginning) just walks into their house, without breaking in. Seems too contrived IMHO.
- How do the survivors get in the mall at the beginning? Did they bother to barricade that way so zombies couldn't get in?
- How many malls don't have stairs to go from one shopping level to another?
- If zombies can nearly punch through car windows, can't a thousand of them smash in those doors to the mall?
- Andy (gun shop guy) doesn't have some MREs, rations, or jerky on hand?
- Why don't they grab the AKs/ARs and all the ammo they can carry when they finally get to the gun shop?
- Zombies are now fast enough to catch up with buses?

AND the big one...

- How many tropical, volcanic islands are accessible from Wisconsin?

Nightcrawler
March 27, 2004, 02:51 PM
RE: Zombie movie endings

There's a lot of tradition involved in a zombie flick. The "canned happy ending" doesn't seem appropriate (though never having been done in a "mainstream" zombie film, it probably suprise, since in a zombie flick you more or less expect everybody to die).

The proper zombie ending is, in my opinion, ambigious. The protaganist (usually the woman) survives, but what's going to become of her after that is unknown. Examples? Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (original), Resident Evil, etc.

Two reasons for this. One it's slightly more satisfying to the viewer, and two (and this is by far the most important reason): SEQUELS LOL

Can't wait for Resident Evil 2!

Nah, I like it when a movie skips the canned happy ending. Some times things don't work out.

That's what people always say, espeically in my Lit classes where every piece of fiction we read has a depressing ending. I know, I know, a non-bad ending is passe, and you can only be artistic if all of your characters meet a bad end. PUH-LEEZE. You're right, though, sometimes things don't work out. In the REAL WORLD. But, in the REAL WORLD, dead people don't eat living people, so a little bit of artistic license was taken to begin with. :D

I also wondered about the island. There are islands on Lake Michigan. Most of them are pretty far north, though; not a good place to hole up at the end of the world. I mean, it's cold. You don't have any winter clothing you're as good as dead. None of them are volcanic.

I also wondered why they didn't just steal a sailboat, so they wouldn't need gas, but they were being kind of chased by zombies, even at the last minute, so oh well.

You know what I noticed? A lot of the gunshots were all CGI. If you look carefull, the actors seem to be just holding a prop. You can sometimes (I think) see no slide movement, and no ejecting brass when the gun is fired. They've been doing this more and more in movies; it's a lot less expensive than prop guns, and Zombie Movies rarely have a big budget to work with.

Greg Bell
March 27, 2004, 03:12 PM
- How many tropical, volcanic islands are accessible from Wisconsin?

I've got to admit, that one had me scratching my head in the movie? I thought the island looked a little big for some river stream!

Cosmoline
March 27, 2004, 03:47 PM
I prefer the original, with the whoopass unleashed by the Savage 99.

Mulliga
March 27, 2004, 04:12 PM
SHTF lever gun - you gotta love it.

The original had some neat guns IMHO - pump shottie, M16s, revolvers, bolt actions, Tommy guns, a derringer, and I think I even spotted a 1911/BHP-alike gun towards the end there (Blades pulls it out of his jacket to try to shoot Peter).

About the only guns in the remake worth mentioning are Ving's 870 and the Beretta, both of which get huge amounts of screen time.:D

The Real Hawkeye
March 27, 2004, 04:19 PM
Can't wait for Resident Evil 2!Same here. RE1 was great. RE2 is supposed to be out in October of 2004. Can't wait. Jovovich is great in that role.

Drjones
March 27, 2004, 05:12 PM
-Since it was a horror movie, and modern "horror" movies are really just "gross" movies (especially in this genre), one went expecting to see blood and gore for its own sake. However, the trend in the movie seemed to be "Let's have horrilble things happen to women and children. It's more shocking that way!" The woman being cut in half with the chainsaw. The zombie baby. The zombie little girl. The zombie boyfriend running off and attacking the girl, after he can't catch the heroine's car. The woman in the back of the transit bus being mauled alive by two zombies. It's just me, I know, some weird by-product of my subconscious, but I really, REALLY don't like seeing violence against women, especially to such a gory degree. I'm sure most people are much less bothered by such a thing (in a movie, at least) than I am, though.

Good point and I agree completely. I covered my eyes during the chainsaw incident. :barf: :(

As to your other points: I don't recall them being very specific as to whether it was world-wide or not. Refresh my memory, please?

Drjones
March 27, 2004, 05:21 PM
Many of you here are taking this a little too seriously.

Its a movie. Try a little suspension of reality for a change. ;)

Movies are supposed to be an escape from reality.

Kodiak AK
March 27, 2004, 05:24 PM
Jovovich is great.
The most valid point of this thread.
A smokeing hot female that is into guns and plays a Tele . What is not to like?

Gabe
March 27, 2004, 10:18 PM
Since it's a virus the proper solution is similar to the one in the film "outbreak", quarantine infected areas and firebomb them. Eventually a vaccine will be found and that would be it.

In the mean time issue chain-mesh sharksuits to EVERYONE.

Greg Bell
March 27, 2004, 11:07 PM
If it is a virus.

It seems obvious to me that the problem was supernatural. Nothing imaginable could animate a rotting corpse. As the commercial said, Hell is full, the dead walk the earth.

Gabe
March 27, 2004, 11:48 PM
Supernatural zombies are those that crawl out of the ground. Getting infected through a bite suggest a bio/chemical process.

Those zombies aren't dead, looks to me like just their skin is decomposing. Perhaps the virus "trick" bacteria to attack the flesh as if its dead and the immune system stops fighting back. I hear in India holymen used to con villagers into believing they can return from the dead with certain drugs. After they take the drug their heart stops, bodies turn cold, and after a few days start to stink of decay. But eventually this wears off and the holyman would literally rise from the dead.

How do I know the movie zombies are not "dead"? Look what happens when the zombies got hit by the truck. Blood everywhere. RED blood. Deadblood turns black. In fact all zombie blood in the movie stayed fresh. Their red bloodcells are still alive and full of oxygen. For this to happen their respiratory system has to remain functional. Therefore, medically speaking they are alive.

Edited after careful rethought. . .

Greg Bell
March 27, 2004, 11:58 PM
O.K., first of all, we are huge nerds.

With that out of the way...

"Supernatural zombies are those that crawl out of the ground. Getting infected through a bite suggest viral infection.

Those zombies aren't dead, looks to me like just their skin is decomposing. Perhaps the virus "trick" bacteria to attack the flesh as if its dead and the immune system stops fighting back."
How do I know they are not "dead"? Look what happens when the zombies got hit by the truck. Blood everywhere. RED blood. Deadblood turns black. In fact all zombie blood in the movie stayed fresh. Their red bloodcells are still alive and full of oxygen. For this to happen their respiratory system has to remain functional. Therefore, medically speaking they are alive."

Hogwash Dr. Gabe (In German Dr. Frankenstein accent). At the end of the movie a severed head is still trying to attack from a box (on the little boat). These things don't need respiratory systems, or blood. The red blood cells thing is obviously a "red" herring.:neener:

KaceCoyote
March 28, 2004, 12:20 AM
the one who gets the guy in the garage, the one with the Ruger? has NO body from just above the hips down.. I think theres a possiblity that..its a bacteria or somesuch that produces something between oxygen and lactic acid. So in effect..the blood itself was the respiratory system. It could be a FUNGUS AMUNGUS.....or something but I doubt that for the simple fact none of the zombies seemed to be real -fun guys-....get it?

Treylis
March 28, 2004, 01:49 AM
Regarding the negative 9mm comments; didn't the guy who got flattened by the ambulance in the first ten minutes have some kind of 1911 variant? Kind of looked that way to me, but it was too fast to really tell.

It was a 1911.

Crom
March 28, 2004, 11:05 PM
I just got back from seeing this movie. I watched the original (1978) on DVD last night. I have to say that this remake is definitely head-and-shoulders above the original. Everything about the remake was better IMO, the camera work, acting, script, action sequencies, weaponry, and special effects. Even the zombies looked better .

There were a few lines from the original movie which made it into the script in the remake and at least one actor from the original, Tom Savini, had a cameo appearence. ( The part of the County Sheriff, in the original he was the leader of the outlaw motorcycle gang)

It moved along at a good pace and held the audiences interest (at least in the theatre I was in. Unlike the earlier version that seemed to drag in places)

If this movie has any weaknesses it is in the character development. I never really cared what happened to the main characters. It never really took the time to tell anything about their lives or backgrounds. I was also disappointed there were no hi-cap semi-auto black rifles shown. As far as it being pro-gun or anti-gun IMO it was neutral- slightly pro-gun. (the reference to Rosey O'Donnel and the fact that firearms were shown as tools of survival tipped it toward the slightly pro-gun side. There was nothing in the script or any overpowering statements about private gun ownership).

One poster wondered why the zombies couldn't just break the glass doors of the mall and get in. I recall a line in the movie where one of the mall security guards mentioned that the glass doors were shatter-proof.

I also wondered why Andy, the gunshop owner, didn't pop zombies all day long. Let's see, 8 hours of good daylight x 1 zombie every 3 minutes (conservative estimate. He was a good shot so I am sure he might have been able to double that rate) would equal what 20 zombies an hour x 8 hours = 160 zombies a day? (320 if we double the rate)

With the amount of ammo in the gunstore (plus all the reloading componets I am sure he had stocked) he could have been shooting a long time.

A fun movie overall. I got as much enjoyment listening and watching the audience reaction as I did the film.

If you like action/SHTF movies, it's definitely worth a look

RRTX
March 28, 2004, 11:52 PM
I just saw it tonight, great movie :D There was one scene in the news footage they were watching that involved a couple M-4/M-16's. It looked like it was on the white house lawn and there were a couple soldiers with them that opened up on some zombies. I think the 870 was the biggest star of the movie though lol.

six 4 sure
March 29, 2004, 02:32 AM
I saw this last week and loved it, and I’m not a horror fan. All my complaints have been discussed. One thing I noticed, that I don’t think has been mentioned, is there was reloading equipment in Andy’s store. I remember seeing a couple of MEC shotgun reloaders, so I assume he had other equipment as well.

six

Black Majik
March 29, 2004, 06:21 AM
1 thing I was wondering throughout the movie was... how many times does Ving Rhames need to rack that shotgun?! He racked that 870 more than he fired it.

And Andy's gunshop. How would he board up the place from the outside?! Hmm....

Good entertaining movie too. It was perfect, I took a few friends to shoot for their first time. 870 Wingmaster, .357, 9mm and 2 1911 .45 ACP's. Oh and a S&W .22.

Half way in the movie my friend nudges the other friend and says "Hey, that's what Richard took us to go shoot today" :o :D

Paco
March 29, 2004, 10:59 AM
I'm really getting peeved at some of the attitudes here! Just because YOU haven't seen volcanic islands off the coast of Wisconson doesn't mean that they don't exist, and besides, the island is in the movie, so it obviously exists.

For you naysayers, first let me say that the movie was PERFECT. Absolutely flawless, both logistically and in execution. Any faults that you found in the movie are reflections of YOUR OWN FAULTS.

Now, for the pessimistic attitude of Nightcrawler: you can't just lay down and die! Duh! You'd just get right back up!:rolleyes:

-I think that the virus was sent by hell from Satan himself, into different parts of the world and was helped along by DEVILS on the first night of the plague. This is a perfectly logical explaination for how it spread so fast.

-Paco:evil:

Greg Bell
March 29, 2004, 12:25 PM
Yep, that is about it!:evil:

Azrael256
March 29, 2004, 08:26 PM
Upright walking implies central motor control, which implies a functioning (although hijacked) CNS. The also do a lot of other things like acquiring targets, which requires working eyes, so the brain and nerves are still working. So, the solution is simple. MOPP 4 and LOTS OF VX.

BTW, nukes are NOT inbound. Everybody knows that vaporized zombies make for zombie rain. Bad news.

azrael
March 29, 2004, 09:18 PM
OK to all of you horror fans...

BEFORE I was the most talented and best looking holster maker from N.C. (or at least that lives in Staley:D ) I was a fan of horror movies...My further .02 peso's on Dawn of the Dead and the WHY of zombies...

Zombies, just ARE...that is there sole reason...THEY ARE JUST THERE!!!

There is no REASON!!!
they just ARE!!!!!

Dont worry how they got there....KILL THEM!!!

And I will say it since noone else has....IF YOU THINK THAT THE "REMAKE" IS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINOL...ALL I CAN SAY IS WE MUST HAVE BEEN WATCHING A DIFFERENT MOVIE...

Was Dawn 2k4 any good?? yup sure was

Was it better in some places than the original?? yup sure was

Was it better overall?? NOT HARDLY!!!!

again my .02 cents

OHHH yea...BUBBA HO-TEP is due out on DVD on MAY 25th!!!! reserve your copy today!!!! I know I sure am:D

Crom
March 29, 2004, 10:00 PM
If you are interested in the whole scientific explanation for the Zombies, check out Romero's 1985 "Day Of The Dead." It was the final movie of his "Dead" trilogy and, according to a Romero interview, his favorite.

It's about a group of survivors who stumble upon an underground government research facility manned by a group of soldiers and several scientists trying to develop a way to defeat the Zombies. They have captured a couple of Zombies and are studying them for research purposes. Not alot of detail, but it does explain a little about the Zombies.
According to this movie, the Zombie phenomenon is world-wide.

Personally, I thought this movie (1985's Day Of The Dead) was the worst of Romero's three. The chick doctor in "Day Of The Dead", Sarah, (played by Lori Cadrille) is pretty hot though, and well worth the rental fee alone. :evil:

It is interesting that Romero has stated that Night, Dawn and Day are not supposed to be genre horror movies, according to him, the public and studios have deemed them that. He intended the movies to focus on the human reaction to an extreme crisis.

The current Dawn Of The Dead was shot in Canada. I am not sure about Canadian gun laws, but, and I am just guessing here, that could be why there were no hi-cap, pistol gripped, semi-autos in the movie.

The final scenes were shot on Catalina Island, off the coast of California.

azrael
March 29, 2004, 10:07 PM
Crom,
Day will hopefully not be the last one...Romero has stated that he wanted to do one more...Prolly gonna be called Dead reconing (sp?) or twilight of the dead....

I agree that Day was the weakest of the 3...

one of the good things about the "remake" is that MAYBE Romero will finally get the funding that he needs to do the final movie the right way...

OHHH yea...Day seems rushed for a reason...They ran out of money with like a month of filming left to do so he had to improvise the ending scenes...Decent flick though IMHO

yea I own all 3 of them including the '90 remake by F/X GOD Tom Savini

Deadman
March 30, 2004, 09:08 AM
I haven't seen Night, but I have seen Dawn and Day just recently for the first time (thanks AnchorBay). I actually prefer Day compared to Dawn.
Despite the general preference most have for Dawn, I was left with mixed feelings.

It's about a group of survivors who stumble upon an underground government research facility manned by a group of soldiers and several scientists

Unless you're refering to the original script, Day is only about the science and military team sent to the research facility to solve the problem.

They ran out of money with like a month of filming left to do so he had to improvise the ending scenes

I'm not so sure Romero's revision of the Day script is such a bad thing, I finished reading the original script today and it seemed to farcical and over the top.

As for the Dawn remake, I have to wait until August 19th. :fire:

modifiedbrowning
March 31, 2004, 03:34 AM
I already posted this in the closed down thread but I'll try again if anyone is still reading this thread. When they go into the gunshop after the dumb girl looking for the dog, they show a pistol on the floor. I just saw the movie for the second time(because I walked out at the beginning of the credits the first time)and to my eyes it is most certainly an HK. Looked like a P2000, but might be a USPc. Someone on the other thread(I believe it was Sundance) said it was a Springfield XD. I don't agree. Anyone else have an opinion?:confused:

The Real Hawkeye
March 31, 2004, 10:10 AM
I remember the scene, and at the time I thought it was a Glock.

Paco
March 31, 2004, 10:58 AM
What it was was a trap! While you're spending time trying to discern what type of gun it is and its usefullness, the zombies are getting that much closer! By the time you realize that they're on you you'll try to turn the unknown pistol on them:

a) you pull the trigger, and you hear the loudest sound on the battlefield: CLICK! :eek:

b)you pull the trigger and find that it's a 9mm and not a .357mag and thus you get et due to having an INFERIOR caliber since the bullets bounce off the zombie's skulls...:neener:

c)You pull the trigger and find that you have the first fully functioning 9mm sized mini grenade launcher!!!- and you proceed to clear house and become the next MABU warlord.:D

d) you curl up on the floor, whimper once before the zombies use the ubiquitious 9mm as a roast spit, sticking it where it wasn't meant to go and YOU GET ET...:(

e) all of the above!!! :confused:

-paco

gunsmith
April 1, 2004, 06:58 AM
I would not have sent the dog over,gee whiz! There in a mall with those cool toy cars/trucks with remote controls they could have sent over a bunch of food and he could have sent over ammo.
or they could have put small propane tanks on the cars and had Andy blow them up with one well placed shot.

A motorcycle rider in a good leather racing suit and helmet/gloves could probably have hand delivered him a pizza.

The Island was Catalina Island which is off the So Cal coast...
I would have voted for re-enforcing doors and such and stayed put untill they starved.
better then 28days in my opinion,definetly made me think I am low on ammo less then 1000rounds, oh well gun show in may,hopefully no Zombie infestation before then.

Oh yeah,the way the girl turns off the news in the begining,my wife does the same thing,hates the news unless it's "Entertainment tonite":barf:

I will have to get her to see this movie so she can see the error of her ways...

David4516
April 3, 2004, 07:25 AM
I think I'd take an M1 Carbine (low recoil but still .30 cal) and lots of mags. For a sidearm I'd stick with my Makarov (it's super-reliable). I'd also like to have my Beretta Jetfire, not for shooting zombies, but for shooting myself if I run outta ammo for the other guns :(

SteveS
April 3, 2004, 11:04 AM
Nightcrawler, I thought your critique was right on the mark. That scene with the zombie baby was messed up. I also prefer some type of "happy" ending or, at least an un-sure ending. I know that life isn't always happy. I made the same complaint after reading some James Joyce story in an Irish Lit class and the professor blasted me for it.

Well, now that I am no longer in college, paying bills, taking care of a family, etc., I want my entertainment to be not at all like the real world. I want at least some of the people to survive.

Anyway, I thought the movie was still ok, but I didn't like it as much as Resident Evil, or even 28 days. Living in MI, the volcanic island idea was annoying. Why didn't they film it in WI, or MI? They filmed some cheesy zombie movie in the UP in the early 90's. Does anyone remember what it was called?

pwrtool45
April 3, 2004, 01:14 PM
...or even 28 days

While I'm not the *biggest* Sandra Bullok fan, I wouldn't classify that was a zombie flick. It did have its moments....

...oh you meant "28 days later." :D

It's funny. Laugh, dammit!

btw, really looking forward to RE: Apocalypse. I thought the first was one, in fact, a pretty good zombie flick. I enjoyed it.

pittspilot
April 4, 2004, 10:07 PM
1) It is not neccesary to drop the slide and then rack the slide. One or the other will suffice.

2) Wasn't there an aluminum baseball bat in that sports store? It would be better then a mallet.

3) Ditto on the .22. And the MREs

4) How did they clear out the indoor parking lot?

5) Why didn't that underground sewer go all the way to the gun store? And if that guy knew about it, why not dig to the tunnel?

6) How the hell do you roll the truck? What a horrible idea?

7) I think the boat was a sailboat, and I do believe that Wisconsin borders the Great Lakes, and from then the world, so I have no problem with that. However, provisioning a boat for a sail from Wisconsin to distant isles is a fairly long task. The most important thing is water.

8) Why did the guy lift up in the middle of that crowd of Zombies?

9) Molotov cocktails would have done the job of thinning the herd. They had that gas station.

10) How about rigging that chainsaw and another to the outside of the vehicle, possibly at knee height, and setting it going before you drive off. Maybe 12 of them placed at various heights. You gonna tell me that a hardware store only had one?

Other then that, it was a great movie.

cool45auto
April 5, 2004, 12:23 AM
7) It had a gasoline engine. During the credits one of the passengers says "We're out of gas." They probably used the sail after that if it had one.

8) If you meant to type "What" and I'm thinking about the same part you are it was the little propane tank they tossed into the crowd to shoot.

pittspilot
April 5, 2004, 02:22 PM
Sorry, that was ambigious.

I meant, why did the guy driving the front van iflt off the accelerator when he got in the middle of that crowd.

I would have kept the pedal to the metal.

meathammer
April 5, 2004, 06:57 PM
I enjoyed this flick. I liked it and the original for different reasons.

Things I observed:

The "A Team" trucks they put together would have been more effective if Mr. T had been driving the lead truck. (I love it when a plan comes together.) :D

They should have been fire-bombing the crap out of the huge crowd of zombies in the parking lot. Couldn't hurt, right?

Loved the scene where the truck full of survivors is backing up to the mall loading dock, running over zombies. I laughed.

I personally would have stayed at the mall until ALL resources were gone.

The cast members all seemed to have mastered making those high stress head shots. :rolleyes:

All in all a very entertaining movie.

Mulliga
April 5, 2004, 07:48 PM
I enjoyed Dawn 2004 a lot, but my favorite zombie movie will always be the original "Dawn of the Dead."

When I showed my friend the original, though, he seemed unimpressed. Characterization, story, and social commentary, I guess, aren't high on his list of cinematic priorities...:rolleyes:

Beren
April 5, 2004, 10:28 PM
One solid reason NOT to stay at the mall indefinitely:

More zombies were arriving daily, from what I could tell. Whether drawn by habit, the proximity of other zombies who knew food was inside, or some sixth sense directing them towards munchies, it seemed as though more zombies were there daily.

At some point, they would become so thick that any escape would be impossible except by air or underground - if the sewers extended far enough from the mall. And from there, it would be a foot race without the benefit of a motor vehicle.

I love zombies flicks, and zombie RPGs. If you really want to tick off a player, let them find out the hard way that "the movies" were wrong and that your zombies aren't stopped by head shots. (In one game, they were only /stunned/ by brain damage, unless most of the brain was damaged. Only sure way to stop them was to cut off their heads. 12-gauge shotguns worked well, too. Frustrating to find that out after you've left a few laying around behind you assuming they're really dead..)

Maybe I already mentioned this, but a good sound suppressor for your primary weapon is a must for any zombie survival situation. ASSUMING they can be stopped by brain shots, you want to make as little noise as possible so that you don't attract more due to excessive noise. :) A nice suppressed 9mm pistol or carbine with 147gr subsonic ammo does the trick. This is another reason to roll back restrictive laws governing sound suppressors - we need to be ready for the coming zombie horde! ;)

http://www.allflesh.com (not a porn site, really!)

GhostShooter
April 6, 2004, 09:06 AM
The more zombies that show up the bigger the zombie bbq (gas pump in the basement of the mall). :D

PaladinVC
April 6, 2004, 12:09 PM
With all the debate over the pros and cons of .22 LR for zombie-whacking, why not just go with the .22 magnum? Not much heavier to carry, light recoil, and a greater effective range and penetration. That would be just the ticket.

I'm wondering why there were so many zombies on that little tiny island at the end.

So, 750,000 people. If you take into account the various traffic accidents, the dent that the police and military must have put in the population and the number of zombies that were probably too banged up to be a real threat, I don't see why they couldn't have exterminated them from the gun shop/mall position. If they'd taken the armored shuttles over to the shop and filled them with doom, used some IEDs, and used food and water responsibly, there's no reason they couldn't have pulled through. Although they probably would have had to kill the yuppie.

And I for one like the "hopeless" quality of the movie. It reminds me of Camus' treatment of the myth of Sisyphus: I'll never get this rock to the top of the mountain, but I'll be :cuss: if I'm going to let it sit at the bottom!

azrael
April 6, 2004, 12:16 PM
Paladin is breaking out the Mythology stuff...

nice analogy:D

any .22 rimfire wouldn't be my first choice...I figure an Ak with 75 round drum with some spare 30 rounders backed up by a couple highcap 9mm's and a cut down shotty...

I think I have watched this movie to much...I spent an hour last night working on a SHTF rig instead of customers orders:D

Greg Bell
April 6, 2004, 02:46 PM
"And I for one like the "hopeless" quality of the movie. It reminds me of Camus' treatment of the myth of Sisyphus: I'll never get this rock to the top of the mountain, but I'll be if I'm going to let it sit at the bottom!"

Exactly! Life is a lot like that Zombies or no.;)

John G
April 6, 2004, 04:34 PM
You know, we can probably assume the group is killed at the end of the credits. But we don't know for certain, since the video camera is destroyed. The undead on the island were advanced, and more decayed. Possibly more brittle and weak even. There's a slim chance someone made it out.

Maybe one or two people hopped into a life raft, or swam away? Can zombies swim?

Logan5
April 6, 2004, 05:46 PM
Since I haven't quite finished blurting out all the spoilers stored up in my evil little obsessive movie geek brain, I'll risk further annoying all those who might wish this thread would die...
Ving Rhames gave an interview where he stated that his character was not killed in the movie and would return in a sequel if DotD '04 made enough money. Hmm, let me find it... I'll edit it in when I do.

ETA: http://www.canoe.ca/JamMoviesArtistsR/rhames_ving.html
(and the Toronto Sun reporter has some listening skill problems... Ving never says he was bitten)

Anyway, I imagine it made enough (48.5 million domestic?) money, and now we can look foreward to an all evil rifles spitting lead type sequel. Maybe... heh, after Ving does MI3 and Kojak, and a lot of other things I won't watch.

Jokerman
April 6, 2004, 07:20 PM
Well, it cost $45 million to make, so it really hasn't made enough yet domestically to justify a sequel. But it'll be out for a while still, and if we combine international grosses, we're talking about $100 million so far. So go see it again and help influence a sequel decision.

Greg Bell
April 6, 2004, 07:40 PM
I think 55 million or so in profit justifies a sequel. Even if they close up shop now they will make something like that. As long as they don't plan on spending 100 million or so on the remake of "Day of the Dead." The original, I believe, was made for $588.00 in foodstamps.:D

azrael
April 6, 2004, 08:16 PM
488.00??? Food stamps??? lol

I think the original cost between $125,000 and $150,000 to make...AND it is one of the movies that ALL horror movies are measured against...

NOW I WANT MY FOURTH INSTALLMENT!!!! PEOPLE IN PA...CALL ROMERO!!!!!:banghead:

Deadman
April 7, 2004, 06:40 AM
Actually I saw on the CNN website that Dawn '04 only cost 23million to make...?
And the current gross from the last weekend is 51.5million.

Mr. Mysterious
April 14, 2004, 09:53 PM
To counter just shooting every zombie you see....they would eventually start piling up and make a staircase right to the roof. Think the fort scene in Starship Troopers.

I think it as mentioned...but the Zombies can't work door handles, but the little girl at the beginning got into the house.

Mulliga
April 14, 2004, 10:37 PM
I think the original cost between $125,000 and $150,000 to make...AND it is one of the movies that ALL horror movies are measured against...

I'm sure the original "Night of the Living Dead" cost ~$100,000, circa 1968.

I believe the original "Dawn" cost $750,000, circa 1978.

The new Dawn reportedly had a 50+ million dollar budget, but I believe the others here are right that it cost ~23 million in the end.

People don't want to give Romero money because he's a no-compromises filmmaker, and fiercely loyal to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania in general. Whether you agree with his social commentary or not, you have to admit that his stuff is better than 95% of the gobbledygook coming out of Hollyweird.

I like the new Dawn, but the original is a masterpiece.

PaladinVC
April 14, 2004, 10:43 PM
Wait, zombies can't work door handles? If she got to the door fast enough, she might have had enough muscle memory to do it. After all, the gunshop guy mechanically "wrote" on the marker board and held it up after he zombified, probably because he had done it so frequently in the last few days. Why, I'd wager that the zombie-girl could have skated backward if she'd died in rollerblades.

Deadman
April 15, 2004, 07:01 AM
boxofficemojo.com lists the cost of Dawn '04 at 26mil. for production and 20mil. for marketing. With a current U.S. gross of 55.9mil.

As for Romero's 4th 'Dead' film (Twilight of the Dead/Dead Reckoning/Land of the Dead) I've read that he can get a 10mil. budget from FOX with studio interference or a 4mil. budget from Anchor Bay without interference.

pax
April 15, 2004, 11:22 PM
Uh, are you guys still pretending to keep it gun-related in here?

pax

Paco
April 16, 2004, 02:45 PM
If you think about it, as much as a shotgun might rule the roost in close range, I think since there are sooo many boogeys out and about, it would be about ammo, ammo, and then some more ammo.

I think a 4 person fire team would be the ticket:
-2 shotgunners (pump or semi) to keep off the real close zombies. 100rd load-out
-2 .22lr rifle shooters for thinning out the crowds from a secure area. 2000 rd load out.

and all of them with highcap pistols and maybe an ice pick mounted on half-a broomstick for when you're just plum out of ammo, slung on a backpack full of ammo.

-some cliff-bars and honey for quick easy food. Lots of vitamin B to calm the nerves and Water. That's it.

Thinking Too Much About This,
Paco

Greg Bell
April 16, 2004, 03:02 PM
ehh, I still don't think I could trust 22 lR. .223, O.K.

angrywalkindude
April 18, 2004, 07:50 AM
It was a damn good movie. The funniest part was when the gun shop owner shot Rosie. I hope they show her head flying off when the DVD comes out.

kernal_panic
April 18, 2004, 11:07 AM
i loved it especially since i have such a sick sense of humor. the "don't worry be happy" muzak at the mall was freaking classic. i loved the qoute about 9mm and .357 magnum. definate buy on dvd when it comes out. as for guns i'd take my ar-15s and my revolvers and my m94ae in .357

Mr. Mysterious
April 18, 2004, 04:00 PM
I wonder how good a nailgun would work? If ANY head trauma would kill them a nailgun might be the king of the close range rapid fire.

I don't have much experience with them...how often do they jam/malfunction?

Deadman
April 23, 2004, 09:47 PM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/

Dark Horizons writes that Zack Snyder has apparently convinced the suits to let him release an unrated version of Dawn of the Dead with 25 minutes of extra footage. One of the special features on the disc will be a video diary of Andy the gunshop owner.

dustind
April 23, 2004, 09:54 PM
ehh, I still don't think I could trust 22 lR. .223, O.K. If your on a roof it does not hurt to try. On the ground I would not bring a .22, except maybe as a last ditch backup gun.

PaladinVC
April 24, 2004, 03:46 PM
My last-ditch backup gun would be another shottie.

Ving was in trouble more than once due to ammo problems with that 870. What's the capacity on those Saiga box-fed 12ga autoloaders? I think that might be just the thing for reminding zombies that they're dead.

azrael
April 24, 2004, 05:54 PM
Paladin,
they come with 5shot mags...There are some 8 rounders floating around but are hard to find..

NIGHTWATCH
April 30, 2004, 07:32 AM
Just found out that the DVD release will include an extra 25 minutes with "Andy", the gunshop owner. :D

That segment it will cover his writings in a diary, documenting what has happened and what he did to survive. :cool:

http://66.96.177.64/picture_hosting/web_pages/paternoster/rcban.jpg

Firethorn
April 30, 2004, 04:01 PM
Did some math,

As long as the ammo held out, if Andy fired an average of two shots a minute, he'd be able to take out about 960 zombies a day, given 8 hours of daylight (more with frequent rest & reload breaks). This would have resulted in far fewer zombies whenever they had to sally.

While they certainly wouldn't get them all, a couple days of this would drop the number of zombies around to the point that they could cover for the occasional one that happened to be covered from the rooftop.

PaladinVC
April 30, 2004, 05:22 PM
And once you thin 'em out, you can go get Andy, a few rifles, a boatfull of ammo and some other essentials, and then return to the Mall rooftop for some more systematic extermination and some basic firearms training for the non-shooters in the group (although they all seemed to pick it up pretty quickly on their own:rolleyes: ).

960 per day per shooter, with let's say 5 shooters, is 4800 zombies a day. Assuming you've got the ammo for it, of course. Give them a month on the Mall supplies, that's 30 * 4800 = 144000 zombies in a month. First off, there's no way they had enough ammo, and even if they did I doubt they'd really keep up that pace with all the dysfunction they were enjoying, but if by some miracle they managed to kill 100,000 zombies before they left, I don't know how much better off they'd be. If the shooting and carnage attracted more zombies, it might be a greater challenge to bust out of there. Not to mention the smell :barf:.

Best bet was probably to make a run for it, clearing a corridor as they went, which is pretty much what they did. They just needed a bigger boat, was all.

Mr. Mysterious
April 30, 2004, 09:34 PM
A pile of 100,000 zombies would have made a nice pile of bodies for the zombies to walk right up onto the roof.

If you enjoyed reading about "DAWN OF THE DEAD--SPOILERS!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!