Q3-2013 Rimfire Match:

PDA

Maverick223
July 3, 2013, 12:24 AM
Welcome to the Rimfire Match for the months of July/August/September 2013! This match is open to any and every 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including the perennial favorite .22LR, as well as the .22Short, .22Long, .22 Mag., .17HM2, .17HMR, .17WSM, and 5mm Rem RF Mag (as well as any oddball rimfires that you might have). This match is meant to be challenging and educational, but most of all FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

There are Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots. Shot at 25yds.
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices. Shot at 50yds.

*Note that the distance of irons div. returned to 25yds.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, sub-.20cal. chamberings, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used)
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles chambered for any rimfire cartridge .20cal./5mm and larger)

Both classes can be shot from any position. Rests/Sandbags/bipods are permitted in the Target Class only. Shooting stick(s) are now permitted for both divisions (either crossed or walking stick style). Use of a sling is encouraged.

25 Yd. (Irons) Target: See image attached below. Scale to "fit to page" on standard 8.5x11in. paper. The left vertical column can be used as sighters (or omitted at your discretion). The objective is to fire one shot at each of the bullseye targets. The target is scored as one point for any shot breaking the black ring, two points for any shot breaking the white inner ring, and three points for any shot breaking the center dot on each of the remaining 15 bullseyes, for a maximum available score of 45. [target recommendation courtesy of nbkky71]

50 Yd. (Optics) Target: Same as above.

If you enjoyed this match and want a bit more challenge, or just compare your rimfires to their larger cousins, check out the concurrent Centerfire Match (now quarterly). Discontinued till further notice.

When you are satisfied you've done your best post/attach (or shoot me a PM) a photo or scan of your target with as much of the following information as possible: Forum name (or name you want posted in the results), Rifle, make, model, vintage (if known), Sights/Optics (with magnification if applicable), Ammo, Position, Distance, Conditions (in/outdoors, wind, temperature...). Multiple submissions are allowed (in same or different division/class with same or different rifles).

Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated; all submissions due before September, 31st. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Q3-2013 Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ford8nr
July 4, 2013, 11:19 AM
Maverick, any chance of coming up with the "Long Range - 200yd Shoot :what:" we were talking about last quarter?

Maverick223
July 4, 2013, 06:54 PM
Yes sir. I completely forgot about that, but I'll try to remember to do a 200/100 (optics and irons respectively) next match (which will be Oct/Nov/Dec) if that sounds like a good idea.

:)

ford8nr
July 5, 2013, 12:22 PM
Sounds good to me, thanks for hosting the shoots.

bwsmith
July 6, 2013, 12:28 AM
100 yards with my Savage BMag in 17WSM sounds like fun :evil:

Maverick223
July 6, 2013, 01:42 AM
Give it a try, I'm eager to see how the new cartridge and platform performs. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

Texas4x4hoe
July 20, 2013, 06:51 PM
Guess I'll get things going. Got some range time in just before it came a flood this morning. Shot my new to me 93R17 with the 3-9 Bushnell that came on the rifle, so unlimited optics division. Scored a 31.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/null_zpsa6e2c5f2.jpg

ford8nr
July 20, 2013, 07:10 PM
Good to see someone got it started. I'm waiting for my range to reopen after some range mods. Hopefully this week.

Maverick223
July 23, 2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks for getting us started, Texas4x4hoe. Are you sure that you didn't short-change yourself on target 4 (from top), column 3 (from left, inclusive of sighters)?...it appears that you squeaked in a "3".

Texas4x4hoe
July 23, 2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for getting us started, Texas4x4hoe. Are you sure that you didn't short-change yourself on target 4 (from top), column 3 (from left, inclusive of sighters)?...it appears that you squeaked in a "3".

I'll look at it when I get off work but I think it's just the way the paper is folded back.

Maverick223
July 23, 2013, 07:05 PM
10-4, if it helps you can use a .17HMR bullet/cartridge as a gauge to see if it broke the line.

Skeptic2
August 5, 2013, 12:49 AM
Wind is the big challenge for distance shooting with a 22LR rifle.

I acquired a CZ452 Varmint, thumbhole a few months ago and mounted a Vortex Diamondback 3 to 9, 50mm. It is sighted in for 75yards (60M). The Brits seem to like 60M as a shooting distance.

I compare Eley Club, SSHP, TEAM and Match OSP for drop at 100yards and 200yard.

I have found Eley Match and Team have a drop of 4MOA at 100yards and 23MOA at 200 yards. The Eley Club has 3MOA drop at 100 and 22MOA at 200. The Eley SSHP drops 5MOA at 100 and 26MOA at 200 yards.

I shoot in Texas at an altitude below 500 feet. The range in the morning is around 87F with a variable wind from 5 O'clock on the 100 yard. I find the wind drift is 1 to 2MOA with groups around 1.5". The 200yard range later in the morning is around 95F and variable winds from 11 O'clock to 1 O'clock. The wind drift is around 1MOA that can be accounted for, and groups are around 4" with flyers out to another 2" going vertically or horizontally.

Oh, and there is a definite heat mirage from time to time. I pack it in before it reaches 100F, as I just don't like that much heat and the crazy rapid fire shooters are there in the afternoon.

I would truly appreciate any pointers for improving my groups in a head or tail wind condition. Reading the wind and compensating is an art I need to learn.

Maverick223
August 5, 2013, 06:37 PM
Wind is very difficult to read. I would recommend using a wind meter, Kestrel (http://www.midwayusa.com/brand/kestrel) makes some good ones.

PS: Not to get nit picky, but 75yds isn't 60M, one meter is roughly 1.1yds, thus making 75yds about 68M (a probably a bit more).

KSCCHTrainer
August 10, 2013, 10:06 PM
Hi gang,
Been lurking for a while and recuperating from some more eye surgery. Good thing I'm left handed/left eye dominant though as they've got my right one all buggered up.

Cardiologist is wanting to upgrade my pacemaker so I'm going to have that done in Sept - just an overnight procedure as he's going to change the existing one for a newer model that fits the same wiring already in place. He says no problem shooting .22 right away but have to leave the .223 in the case for a couple weeks.

While I've been away, I thinned out the herd, parting with my 93R17 and Savage model 10 Tactical target rifles. Kept the "FrankenRifle (Remington 7615 .223 pump) and put an Eotech 512 on it. Dang, I like that combination. Eotech has a 1 MOA dot in the center of that circle and even with my mediocre eyesight I can still group about an inch at 50 yards with it.

Picked up a 10/22 Takedown Tactical with the factory threaded barrel & an M4 look alike birdcage flash hider on it as a thread protector. Easy to put a can on it if ever needed. Love the nice, padded carrying case those things come with.

.22LR ammo is still pretty scarce in the Wichita, KS area so haven't been doing any shooting except the .223 to zero the Eotech when I mounted it, but the local Cabela's is starting to get some Aguila and CCI in. The CCI of course is at somewhat inflated prices, but the Aguila is reasonable and at least it's good plinking/squirrel/rabbit ammo for the Henry and 10/22. Keeping my huge stock of Wolf "Match Target" in reserve just in case.

Since I have to sight in the new 10/22 Takedown, I might just try to shoot this quarter's match at 25 with open sights (assuming I can see them dang circles - LOL)

Jim

Maverick223
August 11, 2013, 02:07 PM
Welcome back, Jim! Hope they get your eye and ticker straight so you can get shooting the centerfire stuff again.

KSCCHTrainer
August 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
Hey Kel,
The pacemaker surgery won't be until middle of September, but my ham radio hobby is kind of keeping me pretty busy. I'm doing demonstrations at some of the Midwest gatherings for the manufacturer of the equipment I own. They pay expenses and occasional deep discounts on stuff they make. Lots of fun and not too strenuous.

No outdoor shooting lately around here - first we had severe drought and now severely getting drowned - LOL! More rain in the forecast from tonight through the next week. Temperatures have actually been well below 90 as well and would have been perfect for shooting outside if the ground weren't so saturated. Over 6 inches of rain in the last couple of weeks.

Friend lost the range on his property due to industrial construction on adjacent land anyway so I'm back to shooting indoors or traveling 60 miles or more for the outdoor venues after the flood waters recede from them.

Jim

Maverick223
August 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the recent deluge (it was the same here until the last couple of weeks) and loss of your buddy's range, but I'm glad to hear that you have other things to keep you out of trouble. :p

I'm hoping that things will start to slow down a bit so I can get out and shoot a little more myself (I've been shooting rimfire from time to time, but not much CF lately). Heck I just got my 6mmRem. back from the gunsmith last week and still haven't had the opportunity to sight her in. Additionally, I have my rechambered 1885 High-Wall (in my modified .45-120Sharps...I like to call it the .458American Express b/c the plan is to push a 480gr. projectile @ 2200fps+ when I get through with load development) returning from the smith next week...so I'm going to have to make time for that.

Skeptic2
August 12, 2013, 11:38 AM
I decided to zero at 100 yards. I like to shoot at 100 and 200 yards. I can obtain sub MOA at 100 and about 2.5" at 200 yards. My best was 1 hole (touching and 1MOA low) with Eley SSHP at 100 yards. The rifle is CZ452 thumbhole and scope Vortex Diamondback 3 to 10 50mm off bench and bags.

I tried zero at 25 and then adjusting to get 60M (about 65.75 yards with 1/4 clicks). This is just over thinking the problem. I seldom shoot below 100 yards, as I am not interested in shooting small animals or other objects.

I really like the slide rule from Mil-Dot.com and all the information. I now wish I had a Vortex 6.5 to 20 50mm with mildot reticle and adjustable objective. It is cool to estimate range and windage without firing a shot. Cold first shots count and the CZ452 will deliver. I have hit right on center at 100 yards (on a good day).

I think a fun competition would include ranging and cold first shots from different angles and under different conditions.

KSCCHTrainer
August 12, 2013, 01:21 PM
Skeptic2,
If you have an Android smartphone or an iPad/iPhone, there is a program out there by a Russian guy (Igor Borisov, I think) called Strelok. It's pretty doggone good and he keeps refining it and adding scope reticles. The graphic of the reticle is accurate and shows left-right-holdover-holdunder points for whatever range you select for your given wind conditions and rifle/cartridge ballistics.

I haven't tried it with a .22 as I don't have a long range .22 like you do, but I have used it with super success on several .223's including a Remington 7615P pump carbine with a 16" barrel. It's 2 MOA capable (1" at 50 yards) if I manage to do my part with an Eotech 512 on it.

He has a free version and also a "Pro" version for around $10. The Pro version doesn't have the graphic scope reticle, but gives you a bit more printed data.

Jim

Skeptic2
August 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
Anyone seen this program?

http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html

Something to do on a rainy day.

KSCCHTrainer
August 14, 2013, 08:19 AM
Maverick,
I forgot to mention, we're getting a new indoor range here in the Wichita area sometime next year. They're claiming the backstop will withstand .50 BMG. It's only going to be a 25 meter range though so I hope the .50 BMG reference is only to strength and they don't actually allow people to shoot 'em - the muzzle blast concussion would be life threatening, to say the least!!! :evil:

The guy building it is an old friend. His father and I were competitors in the Commercial 2-way radio business many years ago and I knew him when he was still a little kid.

Hope he does well with it.

Skeptic2 - hadn't seen that program, but on rainy days (just about every one this month) I'm fortunate to have a 100 yard indoor range available. Beats the heck out of cowering under a poncho to shoot even with covered firing points.

I did manage to shoot my new 10/22 Takedown Tactical yesterday. Didn't try to shoot the match as I put a cheap (I mean REAL cheap) Center Point red-dot on it and the reticle detached itself from the windage and elevation adjustments after the 5th shot. It's going back to Academy Sports for a refund and I'm gonna swipe the Eotech 512 off my .223 pump to play with until the Barska Micro gets here from Optics planet. Ought to turn a few heads when I show up at the range today with a sight on the Ruger that cost almost twice what the gun did, but the guys there are used to me coming in with weird stuff like that. Should be fun :D

Jim

KSCCHTrainer
August 14, 2013, 02:17 PM
OK Fellers,
Finally did something right. I borrowed the Eotech 512 holo sight off my .223 pump and slapped it on the new 10/22 Takedown Tactical.

Took it to the range and sighted it in @ 25 yards. The dang take-apart 10/22 surprised the heck out of me. That little bugger is nicely accurate with Wolf "Match Target" ammo and I've got close to 20K rounds of the stuff on hand!

Here's the target for the 3rd Quarter rimfire match -

Rifle: 10/22 Takedown (Tactical),
Cal: .22LR
Optics Eotech 512 holographic sight, no magnification
Position: Sitting, rifle rested only on body parts - :D
Distance: 25 yards, indoors
Ammo: Wolf Match Target
Total claimed score: 37

Only took 3 targets after the zero to get it to settle down and the 1 MOA dot in the Eotech just covers the white part of the targets so it's easy to hold it centered.
The hard part was to get it centered in the first place. Windage came out right on, but elevation came out shooting just a tiny bit high so the sight picture turned out to be holding the dot right on the bottom of the black ring. This showed a nice black & white crescent above the red dot. Results shown in the target.
Jim

Maverick223
August 14, 2013, 10:56 PM
Looking good, Jim. That's a fair bit better than I would have thought for a take-down autoloader.

KSCCHTrainer
August 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
Looking good, Jim. That's a fair bit better than I would have thought for a take-down autoloader.

Yeah, me too. The little bugger surprised the heck out of me. Then again, it's new and the takedown joints are currently tight with no wear. I expect it will exhibit a gradual loss of accuracy with heavier use.

Not complaining, mind you, but not expecting it to stay this way either. As long as I can hit rabbit sized targets out to 50 yards or so, it will certainly remain in the stable.

The Wolf target ammo definitely helped as normal Federal bulk pack stuff never grouped tighter than slightly over 1" so I attribute most of the accuracy to the fact that this particular receiver/barrel combination just likes the precision Wolf target ammo. Not sure, but I've heard that Lapua actually makes the Wolf target 22 ammo? Also heard that RWS makes it so not sure just where it comes from but it's not manufactured in Russia like most of the Wolf centerfire ammo is.

Jim

ole farmerbuck
August 15, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hmm, I might have to shoot my takedown. I have the blue one but havent tried it yet. Nice shootin.:)

KSCCHTrainer
August 16, 2013, 08:45 AM
Hmm, I might have to shoot my takedown. I have the blue one but havent tried it yet. Nice shootin.:)

Yup, and it might just surprise you. If you don't get near the same results I did, try different types of ammo. Mine's the blue one as well though the guy at Cabela's said it's actually stainless with a black finish. I need to call Ruger and find out for sure.

I first shot mine with some cheap Federal "bulk pack" stuff from Wally World and it wasn't consistent. Then I used some of my stash of "target" ammo that I acquired in a fit of "I remember the last time this shortage happened under Clinton". Didn't get caught short this time and managed to pick up a whole bunch of it when you could get a 500 round brick for less than 20 bucks.

Now I've got local guys (they must be liberals?) saying I should share the wealth with them and give them some. They don't want to buy it, just shoot it - :evil:

All kidding aside, I don't know if Wolf "Match Target" ammo is always this consistent or whether I lucked out and the two 10K case lots I bought (same lot #) are an exception.

I have heard that Lapua is (or was) making the match ammo for Wolf and also that RWS makes it. I just did a little more research and find that the Wolf .22 ammo is made by the SK cartridge company in Germany and that SK is now owned by Lapua so I guess Lapua is correct in a sense.

Jim

Maverick223
August 16, 2013, 11:49 AM
I have heard that Lapua is (or was) making the match ammo for Wolf and also that RWS makes it. I just did a little more research and find that the Wolf .22 ammo is made by the SK cartridge company in Germany and that SK is now owned by Lapua so I guess Lapua is correct in a sense.That's it; Wolf Match Target is SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match Extra is SK Rifle Match. I can typically purchase SK for a little less (not much, but it's the same re-branded ammunition, so why pay more?), so I rarely buy Wolf branded ammunition. Additionally, SK isn't as well known, so it can be easier to procure at times.

KSCCHTrainer
August 16, 2013, 03:05 PM
That's it; Wolf Match Target is SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match Extra is SK Rifle Match. I can typically purchase SK for a little less (not much, but it's the same re-branded ammunition, so why pay more?), so I rarely buy Wolf branded ammunition. Additionally, SK isn't as well known, so it can be easier to procure at times.

Yup, but back in 2010 before prices started going through the roof, when I bought these two 10K batches at a local gun show, I got all 40 500 round bricks for $480 which works out to $12 per 500 or less than 2.5 cents a round. I thought that was awful cheap and everyone I talked with back then said that any kind of Wolf ammo was crap, but I bought it anyway. I had no idea who made it other than it said "Made In Germany" on the boxes. The way it's performed in any gun I've shot it in, I figure their loss is my gain.

I also picked up 5000 rounds of Armscor "Rifle Match" ammo at the same time. It doesn't shoot near as good as the Wolf, in the 10/22's so I've been trading it off to local friends for .223 brass & bullets for reloading. Gave away the last brick yesterday to the friend that bought the Crickett I'd made into a survival rifle. He's using it to teach his 8 year old granddaughter how to shoot. Perfect combo as the Crickett liked the Armscor stuff almost as well as the Wolf.

Right now you pretty much can't find .22 of any kind around here, even at a gunshow.

Those that didn't get some when the gettin' was good are crying now. Cabela's has some Aguila and CCI but in very limited quantities and the price is ridiculous. They won't let you buy more than 1 box a day of it either.

Jim

Maverick223
August 16, 2013, 08:44 PM
The price difference has never been all that great, and like most everything else it varies with sales and the like, so it's nothing to worry about if you bought one or the other...at any rate you flat-out stole that ammo at that price...I'd make every attempt to buy them out (even before the shortage) at that price!

P.S.: Things aren't that much better regarding .22LR ammunition availability around these parts, fortunately I have a little stored away so I'm not hurting too bad...at least not yet.

KSCCHTrainer
August 20, 2013, 05:31 PM
Took the 10/22 Takedown to the range again today to zero the new optic I put on it. Put the Eotech 512 back on the .223 and picked up one of the little Barska AC11428 micro red dot (2 MOA dot) sights. It's pretty small, integrated Weaver/Pic rail mount and very light. Sits nicely atop the rifle and took exactly 5 shots to zero it.

Didn't have time to take pix of the target, but I got essentially the same results as when I had the Eotech on it. Laser boresight at home put the windage dead on center and only had to bring the group up 2 clicks at 25 yards to center it out.

Air conditioning was causing the target to sway a bit, so I was anticipating when the center would cross the dot and more or less "pulling" (not quite jerking) the trigger as it crossed. Got another 5 shot group you could cover with a dime, but 25 shots rapid fire opened out to just over quarter size at 25 yards. Stayed right in the center though.

Good enough to suit me. -- Ammo used was again the Wolf "Match Target" which is probably all I'll ever use in it.

Jim

Maverick223
August 20, 2013, 09:41 PM
Good enough to suit me. -- Ammo used was again the Wolf "Match Target" which is probably all I'll ever use in it.Given your results and stockpile I'd give up looking for better ammo too. :D

KSCCHTrainer
August 20, 2013, 10:43 PM
At the range today, you should have seen the hangers-on drooling over the full brick I had with me. Even had a 60 buck offer for what was leftover. Thought I was going to have to fight my way out of there! :neener:

Never been a big fan of Barska optics, but I gotta admit this one delivers.

Jim

Maverick223
August 20, 2013, 11:28 PM
I bet you did, I gave a buddy a brick of .22LR for his birthday this year (I told him that I got him something that he couldn't buy...probably thought that I built him a birdhouse :p) and I thought he was going to choke up.

I've never had any luck with Barska optics (though I haven't tried one of their red-dots), but I really like my biometric safe (small rifle safe) as it makes it easy to keep a long-gun close at hand in the bedroom without taking up too much real estate.

KSCCHTrainer
August 21, 2013, 03:56 PM
I've never had any luck with Barska optics (though I haven't tried one of their red-dots), but I really like my biometric safe (small rifle safe) as it makes it easy to keep a long-gun close at hand in the bedroom without taking up too much real estate. :)

This is the first Barska product I've had any luck with myself. Had several of their scopes come with rifles I've bought off other people and they all had some major warts to contend with. IMO the only other optics products worse than Barska is the NC Star stuff. That crap won't even stand up to .22LR recoil.

This little AC11428 1X20, 2-MOA red dot was the only one of it's size that I could afford and I took a chance by ordering it from Optics Planet (they had the best price) who we've all had problems with in the past.

The jury's still somewhat out on this one, but so far it's performing right up there with the better ones. If it barffs on me in the near future I'll report back to the group on it. Meanwhile, I'll take it out in the field and pot a few cottontails with it. Wish the city would let me shoot 'em in town as our whole neighborhood is overrun with 'em. Can't even use air rifles as they have a law against them too. About all I can do is live trap them, whack 'em in the head and throw 'em out for the buzzards to clean up. After the first couple of hard freezes weeds out the sickly ones, I'll clean and keep 'em in the freezer for food.

Jim

Maverick223
August 21, 2013, 11:24 PM
IMO the only other optics products worse than Barska is the NC Star stuff. That crap won't even stand up to .22LR recoil.That has been my experience as well. The only cheapos that I have found to do okay are the Centerpoint (which is now branded by Crosman, but I strongly suspect is manufactured by Leapers) and Leapers, but I doubt that I would purchase either again (in fact I can't see me buying anything less than a Sightron S-I because I'd rather spend a little more on something that will last and have decent glass to use in the meantime). I guess my point is: a cheap fixed power or low magnification variable made by a reputable manufacturer like Bushnell (Sportview or Banner series) would serve most folks better IMO. At any rate I hope that your red-dot continues to provide you with good service.

KSCCHTrainer
August 23, 2013, 06:47 PM
I managed a heck of a trade for a Ruger 10/22 Stainless with the wood stock and 22" tapered barrel. Evidently someone had been using it for a truck gun as the stock & receiver were very badly dinged and the rear sight leaf was completely broken off. Got less than $100 in it not counting the cost of the Hi-Viz sights.

When I took it apart, the barrel wedge was loose so evidently one of the previous owners (not the guy I got it from) had tried to beat the broken rear sight out with a steel punch & hammer causing it to loosen up. I just pulled the barrel, got out the sight pusher and removed what was left of the rear sight and also the front one. Went to the local gun store and got the Hi-Viz fiber optic kit to replace them with. They sit up a bit higher so if I add a scope rail I'll be able to use a set of "see-through" rings and still run opens even with a scope on it.

Of course, while I had it apart I did the "bolt release" mod and after reassembling everything I took 'er to the range with some of my hoard of Wolf ammo to see if it would run. Yup, and I got lucky - the new sights were centered pretty well and after a couple mags rapid fire to make sure the barrel was seated good, I set it up on a borrowed Caldwell shooting bag. Got a 5 shot group at 25 yards you can cover with a dime! I think my wife just got her .22 plinker as a retirement present. (She's got 5 working days to go).

Jim

Maverick223
August 23, 2013, 11:33 PM
I'd call that a pretty good score even with the dings.

KSCCHTrainer
August 26, 2013, 04:52 PM
Cleaned up pretty good too - installed a Champion Targets extended mag release and a cheap Tasco 3-9 X 40 on it and gave it to the wife after I zeroed the scope at 50 yards. I screwed up when I took the pix of the rifle - didn't catch the fact that the front lens cover on the scope wasn't seated - :cuss:

Shot a 10 round group you can cover with a quarter using Federal bulk pack "Target Grade" ammo and it would probably have been a bit tighter but the trigger pull is around 8 pounds and the dang target carrier cable was a tad loose. Target kept swaying a bit so I was trying to anticipate when the bull centered up.

I'll give it to the wife as a sort of "retirement" gift. Her last day is this coming Friday so maybe I can get her out shooting again like she used to do when we were stationed in Germany back in the late 70's.

Jim

Maverick223
August 27, 2013, 12:34 AM
If you know what you're doing (and/or do a bit of research) you can stone the hammer to get the pull down to a more tolerable weight if you like (I would polish all the bearing surfaces while you're at it); alternatively any smith worth his salt can do it for you...or you can just replace it with an aftermarket kit (or just the hammer if you want to save a bit).

KSCCHTrainer
August 27, 2013, 08:14 AM
If you know what you're doing (and/or do a bit of research) you can stone the hammer to get the pull down to a more tolerable weight if you like (I would polish all the bearing surfaces while you're at it); alternatively any smith worth his salt can do it for you...or you can just replace it with an aftermarket kit (or just the hammer if you want to save a bit).

I've done that on several others with good success. She hasn't shot a rifle in a number of years so I want her to get used to the heavy trigger first. When she tells me she thinks she'd be able to shoot it better if the trigger wasn't so heavy then I'll put in the Power Custom adjustable I have on hand and reserved for it. That way she'll better understand the whole trigger pull vs accuracy thing.

I learned long ago that a person should usually get somebody else to teach his wife anything about shooting unless you're real subtle about it. This way, when she decides she don't like the heavy pull, she's figured it out herself and I really didn't "teach" her -- :evil: (Glad she doesn't read the THR forums - :D )

A guy on our local CCW forum just advertised a standard 10/22 stock & barrel left over from a custom build for a very low price. I grabbed it - never hurts to have a spare barrel around of any flavor and if it turns out to not be suitable for anything, I can always get my money out of it over on Rimfire Central, huh?

Jim

Mr.Revolverguy
September 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
Rifle: Savage MKII TR,
Optics Nikon Target EFR 3x9
Position: Bench Sandbags
Distance: 50 yards, outdoors
Ammo: SK
Total claimed score: 22

I haven't shot in a while and haven't been around but I was very glad to get out today. I really don't care what my score is I still left with a big smile on my face because of how long it has been since I was on the range.

http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/rimfire.jpg
http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/rimfire3.jpg

Mr.Revolverguy
September 18, 2013, 07:46 PM
Rifle: Savage MKII TR,
Optics Nikon Target EFR 3x9
Ammo: Lapua X-Act
Total claimed score: 35

http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/rimfire.jpg
http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/rimfire2.jpg

I know this thing will shoot if I do my part. I did discover an interesting scenario today. I had 6 shots left in my Lapua box and shot at a different target and it is probably the best group at 50 yards I have shot. But this time I shot it from my Bipod with no rear bag. I was ticked off because I was out of ammo and had shot both targets I brought with me already. Maybe I will get some time to get back on the range and try it without bags.
http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/rimfire1.jpg

Maverick223
September 18, 2013, 10:22 PM
That is a beautiful last group, Mr.Revolverguy.

On a different, but related note, I think I have decided to sell my 93R17-TR...not because it won't shoot well, but because I just don't need a .17HMR (I briefly considered trading it for a new .17WSM, but decided that wasn't much more useful). Instead I think I might either purchase a new target .22LR (the Mk. II-TR is on the list, but I'm leaning towards a Ishmash Biathalon 7-4A to be different).

Mr.Revolverguy
September 18, 2013, 10:30 PM
WOW Ishmash Biathalon 7-4A or Savage TR that's a big difference between the two :) But like we all say is it really about what we need or what we want? :)

Maverick223
September 18, 2013, 10:36 PM
I know, right? Not only in the price category, but purpose, appearance/aesthetics, and ergonomics as well. To further complicate things I briefly considered a IWD-2000 (clone of the Walther WA-2000 using a custom chassis and 10/22 bits & pieces), but is way overpriced for a kit gun (I like my bullpups, but even I have my limits), so it was removed from the list.

Mr.Revolverguy
September 18, 2013, 10:52 PM
Maverick,

You are all over the board :) Those are all different classes though I must say you have great taste :)

Let me know what you end up with.

I have considered a 17 but I just did not want to add another caliber, especially since I own 22magnum and have for a very long time. I know the old 22mag is not as accurate but it fits my needs.

Maverick223
September 18, 2013, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I like diversity. I feel the same way about cartridges, but I don't even own a .22WMR. Of course now is a horrible time to sell the .17HMR as cartridges are relatively easily procured...unlike the .22LR; so I might have to wait a while before taking the plunge. At any rate, you folks will be the first to know when I do make my move.

Mr.Revolverguy
September 22, 2013, 07:17 PM
Rifle: Rifle 10/22 Custom Build Kidd,
Optics Mueller APV
Ammo: CCI SV
Total claimed score: 28

http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/rimfire4.jpg
http://www.dayattherange.com/weapons/rimfire5.jpg

ford8nr
September 23, 2013, 02:59 PM
Finally got my Kimber 82G from the CMP. Got the iron sights mounted and gave it a test run. Score of 34, 25yds, iron sights, NOT cherry picking my sight in row.

ford8nr
September 23, 2013, 03:02 PM
As long as I was going to the range I took my scoped CZ452 Varmint along and shot a target off sand bags at 50yds. Without cherry picking my sighters shot a 33.

Why is this target so hard to shoot?

ford8nr
September 23, 2013, 03:05 PM
Looks like .22 ammo is starting to show up in stores. Hopefully people can get out and shoot this match or the 4th quarter match.

KSCCHTrainer
September 23, 2013, 03:35 PM
As long as I was going to the range I took my scoped CZ452 Varmint along and shot a target off sand bags at 50yds. Without cherry picking my sighters shot a 33.

Why is this target so hard to shoot?
Not bad shooting at all compared to how we all are doing. I know I had trouble working across the rows so I tried working down the columns. Still had trouble - the POI vs point of aim seemed to change for each dot! Finally figured out I was actually tilting the rifle as I moved it. Very difficult to keep the sights level with the ground and the target.

If the target isn't mounted EXACTLY square with your shooting point, the POA vs POI will change minutely as you move the rifle. Depending on the distance to target, the impact point moves 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Took me the longest time to figure this out. Might have to mount one of those scopes with a bubble level already in it. At least get the same exact sight picture provided I pay attention to the level.

Hey, I'm getting old (71) and I'm lucky I can still tie my shoes - :neener:

Maverick223
September 23, 2013, 04:04 PM
Why is this target so hard to shoot?I really don't know, it wasn't my intention to make it this difficult, but it sure seems to have turned out that way. Oh, and the lack of easy to procure match grade ammunition (at least for those of us who are running low or have extinguished our supply and have turned to, well, whatever we can get our hands on at the time) probably has a negative impact on performance as well.

ford8nr
September 23, 2013, 04:26 PM
Maverick, I was complaining, just curious what problem others were having. My thought is it has to do with the black bullseye and black outer ring. I really had to concentrate the crosshairs on the center dot or I found myself wandering. I thought a 40 should have been possible, guess not. I just got a case of Aguila Golden Eagle Target which shoots as good as SK+ or RWS Target in most of my guns, $42 brick including shipping, but you had to buy a 10/bk case. :eek:

Maverick223
September 23, 2013, 04:37 PM
If you are referring to Aguila Rifle Match I have had good luck with that too (especially when value is a consideration), though some others haven't been as lucky as I (IIRC KCCHTrainer is amongst those in the latter category).

Mr.Revolverguy
September 23, 2013, 05:25 PM
Ford8nr you calling me out about cherry picking :) Just pulling your chain my friend.

If you notice on all my targets I tried to utilize the two center rows as sighters because thats how I was setting up my bags for POA. To try and alleviate the need for repositioning everything. :) Lazy.

If you really want fun, me and a couple of friends went out with these targets and actually put 50 seconds on each target.

ford8nr
September 23, 2013, 05:54 PM
I REALLY don't care...just an observation :)
I shot my 2 targets today after some practice time and then went to pinging the 8" gong at 243yds with the CZ. Had one string I went 10 for 10 :eek:. Have to shoot off the mil dots since I run out of elevation with the standard rings.
Just glad to see someone else is shooting. Headed to the end of season Rimfire Sil Banquet tonight... I'll have to see how I did, my guess is top of the average shooters, middle of the GOOD shooters.

KSCCHTrainer
September 23, 2013, 07:55 PM
If you are referring to Aguila Rifle Match I have had good luck with that too (especially when value is a consideration), though some others haven't been as lucky as I (IIRC KSCCHTrainer is amongst those in the latter category).

I have an update on that Aguila "Rifle Match" ammo that I had trouble with. It was only in the old 10/22 that I put an aftermarket bull barrel on and it was only from one of the 2 bricks of the stuff I had (found out later) I gave it away so I don't have the lot number to pass along. I found 2 boxes left out of the 2nd brick and I shot them in the Takedown model that does so well with the Wolf "Match Target" stuff. Aside from an occasional flyer, the Aguila groups under quarter size at 50 yards and you can cover 10 shots with a dime at 25 which is pretty close to what the Wolf does. Remember, I'm shooting indoors without any wind to contend with.

Now, I'm thinking I might have just gotten 1 brick out of a bad lot#. The guy I gave the leftovers from the bad brick to said it shot OK, but not spectacular in a Marlin Glenfield semi-auto. I do remember that the Aguila that the 10/22 didn't like shot pretty well in a Taurus model 94, 4" 9 shot revolver so it might have just been the 10/22 had too tight or loose a chamber? Dunno, but if I recall I had put a cheap Adams & Bennett bull barrel on it rather than the stock carbine barrel it had originally.

For sure, we've all found that just about every rimfire handgun and rifle has it's preference for ammo and unless you get some remarkably consistent stuff like I did when I bought that 20K lot of Wolf (all same lot number too) results are likely to vary (sometimes significantly) even between different lot#'s from a given manufacturer. Maverick has a lot more experience along these lines that I do.

Jim

Maverick223
October 3, 2013, 09:55 PM
My apologies for taking so long to get this match wrapped up...I'm been out of town for work for a few days and just today got access to the internet. I won't return for another week or more so I'm going to do my best to get a new one set up tonight, but it may take me a bit longer than normal due to the poor connection speed here. Anyway here's the result from this time around:

Magnified Division - Unlimited/Target Class:
1st: Mr.Revolverguy - 35
2nd: ford8nr - 33
3rd: Texas4x4hoe - 31

Unmagnified Division - Sporting Class:
1st: KSCCHTrainer - 37

If you enjoyed reading about "Q3-2013 Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!