Taping on weapon lights?

PDA

CoyoteSix
July 3, 2013, 02:47 PM
Hey all!

Just curious, but has anyone ever used athletic tape to attach a weapon light to a rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "Taping on weapon lights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bovice
July 3, 2013, 02:51 PM
In the days of yore, probably.

Now? they make mounts for just about everything. For a long term solution, do it the right way.

Roadking Rider
July 3, 2013, 02:53 PM
I heard a few guys named Bubba have done it.

Hanzo581
July 3, 2013, 02:54 PM
No.

Torian
July 3, 2013, 02:56 PM
Sure I have. If the tape is around the barrel though...and it gets hot enough...you are SOL.

When mounts break...bring the duct tape!

Speedo66
July 3, 2013, 03:05 PM
Not the best solution if you're in any wet weather.

CoyoteSix
July 3, 2013, 03:06 PM
That's why I suggested athletic tape. It seems to resist moisture much better than a standard adhesive tape. It works wonders in EMS uses.

PO2Hammer
July 3, 2013, 03:08 PM
My ex-in laws used to tape flashlights to their rifles to shine (poach) deer. I'm glad they are ex's.
They used electrical tape FWIW.

allaroundhunter
July 3, 2013, 03:13 PM
With light mounts being fairly inexpensive, why not use one?

ObsceneJesster
July 3, 2013, 03:17 PM
Is this a serious question?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ranger Roberts
July 3, 2013, 03:45 PM
Tape will work in a pinch but I'd stay away from it. As said earlier, if your barrel heats up with tape on it you are probably going to wish you never did it. The mounts can be found almost anywhere and they are very cheap. My local Walmart even carries them.

kBob
July 3, 2013, 04:25 PM
Not to a rifle but once using two little notched wood blocks as spacers to allow for the over sized head of a silver Ray-o-Vac flash light some buddies and I duct tapped a Ray-o-Vac to the barrel shroud of a S&W Model 76 SMG.

Guess which NRA president gave us that idea.

Worked OK for the time period. We even used that center dim circle shadow of the bulb as an aiming point. It appeared to be minute of infected luddite Zombie at 20 meters........

-kBob

yzguy87
July 3, 2013, 04:51 PM
Why not just mount it the right way?

TIMC
July 3, 2013, 05:02 PM
Why not just mount it the right way?

Cause if he did that then it wouldn't match the scope silly! :evil:

ObsceneJesster
July 3, 2013, 05:07 PM
Not to a rifle but once using two little notched wood blocks as spacers to allow for the over sized head of a silver Ray-o-Vac flash light some buddies and I duct tapped a Ray-o-Vac to the barrel shroud of a S&W Model 76 SMG.

Guess which NRA president gave us that idea.

Worked OK for the time period. We even used that center dim circle shadow of the bulb as an aiming point. It appeared to be minute of infected luddite Zombie at 20 meters........

-kBob

I have a customized Elzetta light with a concave lens mounted on a 590A1 that I use for point of aim. At 15 feet it throws a beam that measures just under 4 inches in circumference which makes a near perfect point of aim for 00 Buck.

scchokedaddy
July 3, 2013, 06:30 PM
primitive iluminated recticle red neck style for sure!!! It wqrks though or so I been told, I wouldn't know {not me!!] lol:)

dvdcrr
July 3, 2013, 07:28 PM
I have seen pics of marines using taped on cheek pieces for rifles so I say use what works.

rondog
July 3, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hose clamps work better. <ducking>

Cosmoline
July 3, 2013, 08:01 PM
High temp electrical tape works well enough for this unless you're getting the barrel super hot. The real problem is in positioning the light and keeping the light from melting. There are simple steel clamps for sale now on Midway that permit this kind of ur-simple flashlight mounting without the need for tape. I actually prefer them to more complex mounts in many ways, since you have total flexibility on how you angle the light and where you put it on the barrel.

bobinoregon
July 3, 2013, 08:13 PM
Tape has been around way longer than other mounts for lights. Course that was long before the word "tactical" was invented

CoyoteSix
July 4, 2013, 04:58 AM
No this isn't a serious question! :D

I just wanted to see some funny feed back!

Also, they're are not always mounts that are easy to install for every rifle.

MtnCreek
July 4, 2013, 09:44 AM
I'm pondering duct taping a 1 million CP spotlight to a shotgun just so I can post a picture of it. I'm thinking an 'Original Goose Gun'; detachable mag and all...

jim243
July 4, 2013, 09:49 AM
Just use an Ace bandage (LOL)

Jim

Skylerbone
July 4, 2013, 04:20 PM
Funnies aside, sport or vet rap attracts and holds moisture, a lesson I learned first-hand during hunting season one year. Glad I caught it the first day as the rust was covering both firearms from muzzle to buttstock.

hentown
July 4, 2013, 04:31 PM
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff Foxworthy, is that you, Jeff? :evil:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/Walteridus/IMG_20130207_075503_zpsd911535c.jpg (http://s107.photobucket.com/user/Walteridus/media/IMG_20130207_075503_zpsd911535c.jpg.html)

jmorris
July 4, 2013, 09:19 PM
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/supergun.jpg

Mohave-Tec
July 4, 2013, 11:23 PM
Slop and recoil do not go together.

Warp
July 4, 2013, 11:28 PM
No. I can legitimately say I have NEVER taped ANYTHING to a firearm.

HB
July 5, 2013, 04:23 AM
These responses are ridiculous to me. Ive JB welded a dovetail mount to a shotgun barrel before. Attached a maglite in scope rings, couple layers of electrical tape. Became the perfect possum gun with tons of rounds thru it and no sign of the "tactical" light loosening up. Whole rig cost 80 bucks :D

HB

Cosmoline
July 5, 2013, 01:31 PM
I can legitimately say I have NEVER taped ANYTHING to a firearm.

I'm not sure I understand the hatred for tape. Good high-temp electrical tape is a go-to item in my standard range bag. For example when my SMLE stock started splliting I used electrical tape under pressure to keep it together long enough to finish shooting off the rounds I was using up for brass.

Another example--I used duct tape to add a layer of finger protection on an AR carbine hand guard when it started getting too hot. I got made fun of for it, but it did keep my fingers from getting scorched.

Tape is also useful as reference marks for training.

JohnBT
July 5, 2013, 05:58 PM
I use Gorilla Tape for everything. It sticks to bricks, sidewalks, busted chimney flashing, etc. It'll work until you get around to a proper repair.

It might pull the finish off a gun when you remove it.

krankieone
July 5, 2013, 06:15 PM
used it for a tempory measure till I got a proper one worked fine

BruceB
July 5, 2013, 08:00 PM
About 20 years back, I was managing a trophy-caribou camp in Canada's Northwest Territories. The camp was a 150-mile bushplane trip from civilization, meaning whatever was done had to be done with what was on-hand.

Grizzly bears were coming into camp every night, drawn by the smell of our caribou. I NEEDED some way of seeing to shoot if necessary.

I had a pair of GENUINE M-14 rifles, and picked one to be the "night rifle". I placed a 3-cell flashlight along one side of the fore-end and duct-taped it in place. (It was actually very solid.)

I then placed a narrow strip of fluorescent-red tape on the front sight, where it was brightly-lit by by the flashlight.

With the light aligned so that the front sight appeared right in the middle of the light's "spot", very accurate shooting could be done within the range of the light...fifty yards or so.

The ammunition used was handloaded 180-grain Nosler Partitions, which (as usual) worked perfectly.

For a field-expedient set-up, I was rather pleased with how well it worked out.

Warp
July 5, 2013, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure I understand the hatred for tape. Good high-temp electrical tape is a go-to item in my standard range bag. For example when my SMLE stock started splliting I used electrical tape under pressure to keep it together long enough to finish shooting off the rounds I was using up for brass.

Another example--I used duct tape to add a layer of finger protection on an AR carbine hand guard when it started getting too hot. I got made fun of for it, but it did keep my fingers from getting scorched.

Tape is also useful as reference marks for training.

I said I NEVER taped ANYTHING to a firearm.

You proceeded to give examples of not taping anything to a firearm.

Did I miss something?

Cosmoline
July 5, 2013, 09:47 PM
I'm sure I've taped a light on one at some point, too. So what? Tape is a useful piece of equipment for the gun box.

Art Eatman
July 5, 2013, 10:54 PM
See Post #21. CoyoteSix is a pretty good fisherman.

I won't mention what he's catching. :D:D:D

coloradokevin
July 6, 2013, 02:45 AM
I once saw a young police officer, fresh from the academy, attach his light to his work shotgun using tape. He said he didn't want to spend the money on a mount, and claimed it worked fine.

But, honestly, I think you'd be better off spending the $20-50 for a mount, and being happy with the setup. My work rifle has a mount for a Streamlight Strion that cost about $45 when I got it... it works great, and has been used extensively. I know there are even cheaper mounts out there, so I'm sure you can find something worthwhile.

newfalguy101
July 6, 2013, 02:51 AM
Keep in mind that athletic tape is

1) VERY sticky, and will leave much of that adhesive when "removed" ( Athletes use pre-wrap under the tape to prevent losing skin... )

2) CLOTH which as we all know absorbs moisture..................not a good thing for a firearm...

ObsceneJesster
July 6, 2013, 08:34 AM
Here's what I don't understand.

You can get one of the best light mounts in the industry for less than $40. You can pair it with a $10 flashlight or a $300 flashlight.

I just don't understand using tape when good mounts are so cheap.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/142-ELZ-ZSM.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Taping on weapon lights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!