Will THR upgrade to vBB 3.0.0?

PDA

Seawolf
March 19, 2004, 11:01 PM
3.0.0 Final just released tonight :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Will THR upgrade to vBB 3.0.0?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
March 19, 2004, 11:24 PM
Go look at RimfireCentral .. if you ain't seen it. They are on V3 and I HATE it!! Change is fine if it's advantageous but to me it is just some extra gizzmos and far from helpful. Many annoyances.

The longer we can stay on a V2 variant the better ... currently V2.3.4 ... and V2.3.7 is OK too.

tyme
March 20, 2004, 07:24 AM
Well gee, 3.0 is out. Let's have everyone drop everything on a Friday night to scramble and upgrade! ;)

If they hate vb3.0, it's because they haven't changed the default templates. It can be made to look just like vb2 if desired.

I don't think staying with vb2 long-term is an option. I really like vb3's threading.

What is it about vb3 that you don't like?

P95Carry
March 20, 2004, 08:50 AM
tyme, Yeah I realize much might be to do with templates and maybe they have been a tad ''ambitious'' making changes. I didn't like the reply box that I saw and I guess just overall ''feel''.

OK, I gettin old .... resistant to change probably ..... somewhat ''if it ain't broke ..... don't fix it''.

If V3 confers real advantages then OK .. but I have yet to be convinced. Maybe I should study the spec' and see just what has altered.

Kestrel
March 21, 2004, 11:09 PM
If it's like 1911forum, I hate it. It's slower, typing threads is not as smooth, trying to view thread starters in a list of threads is harder - takes longer to look at them, etc. The overall look of the forum looks kind of like a layout for kids/younger people.

Steve

tyme
March 23, 2004, 01:56 AM
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=735

Sad, and probably avoidable. I wonder if they rushed the upgrade?

Aside from the data loss, what do you vb3 detractors think of vb3 on bladeforums?

P95Carry
March 23, 2004, 09:50 AM
I know age is making me resistant to change but ... there is nothing much that I like re appearance on that forum. Things are being ''prettied up'' and IMo it does nothing to help. Not sure how much the template choice is affecting what is seen but ... to be honest . what we have with current format here right now is good .. it is CLEAR .. it's easy on the eye .... navigation is not a problem.

I never mind change for the better but so often ... bells and whistles seem the order of the day and good things seem to get lost ... potentially it would seem a retrograde move. Disaster to have lost their database ... hell ... all that archived stuff .... catastrophic.

Mal H
March 23, 2004, 10:08 AM
Based on that announcement alone, it looks like they only lost data from 2/20/04 on. May not have been all data, could have been only the member file. Spark is a member here, maybe he can tell us if the upgrade is what caused the loss.

I agree with you Chris, change for change sake alone is not the way to go. But, as they say, The only constant in computer work is change. However, I'm willing to bet there is a lot more under the covers (bug fixes, added features - useful features hopefully, etc.) that will make the upgrade desirable - all in good time; let the others wring out the new bugs. I can absodamnlutely guarantee there are new bugs.

There's no doubt that we don't have to change the look-and-feel of THR with the upgrade. The other forums may have gone with the supplied templates instead of customizing them.

http://www.tealdragon.net/humor/graphics/eastwood.gif

mtnbkr
March 23, 2004, 10:24 AM
I have yet to be impressed with VB3 from a user standpoint. I'm not familiar with it on an operational perspective though. With the way everyone is clamoring to upgrade, I hope it offers some benefit.

Chris

762x51
March 23, 2004, 03:49 PM
As an end user, I personally love VB 3. I really like the quick reply feature as well as the ability to collapse forum sections that you never look at.

Mal H
March 23, 2004, 04:10 PM
If by "quick reply feature" you mean the reply with quote feature (the 'Quote' button), we won't be enabling that here for reasons that we've gone into multiple times in the past.

mtnbkr
March 23, 2004, 04:20 PM
No, he's talking about the form at the bottom of the pages where you can reply to a thread without hitting "Reply". It removes one step from the posting process (the need to hit reply and wait for the form to appear).

Chris

Mal H
March 23, 2004, 05:38 PM
Ah! That sounds like a good feature.

762x51
March 23, 2004, 08:39 PM
Yep....I meant what mtnbkr said. It's just a little box that sits under all the replys that you can type directly into without having to click a "reply" button. Looks like this:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=889852

Balog
March 24, 2004, 08:38 PM
tyme: the bladeforums link you posted leads me to a screen sayying only that they've had a slight database problem.

What was the announcement?

Spark
March 24, 2004, 08:57 PM
The announcement was that our site went down for a number of reasons.

1. Our hosting guys didn't upgrade the server to MySQL 4.x like I told them to a month ago. This caused the initial upgrade to fail.

2. When we restored our backup that I'd had done before upgrading, it seems that the backup "didn't". Instead of a full backup, we wound up with a screwed up mishmash of databases.

3. The previous backup was a month old, and hence, the loss of data.

If the appropriate modules had been upgraded a month ago, this wouldn't have happened. If the database backup had been done properly, this wouldn't have happened. Moot point really though since we've since had a hardware failure :cuss: and I have to start all over again.

I'm pretty impressed with vB 3, but it was a hell of a beating I took getting it working. Templates are entirely user configurable, so if you don't like something, the admins can fix it if they choose.

Spark

If you enjoyed reading about "Will THR upgrade to vBB 3.0.0?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!