help with a gunstock issue

PDA

greyling22
July 4, 2013, 01:07 AM
so I've been making a stock for a marlin, and like an idiot I took a little too much wood off a corner where the stock fits into the wood. It's not much, but it bothers me that the metal is proud to the wood. (I should never have gotten in a hurry, but I can't go back now.) So my original plan was to rub the tru-oil finish over the stock for a uniform color, then put a little clear epoxy in the corner that was low, sand to correct fit, then apply more tru-oil for final finish.

The problem, that most of you have identified by this far into the post, is that the epoxy won't stick to the tru-oiled wood. (it's a cheap 5 minute epoxy) Would something else work? maybe a drop of clear polyurethane? unstained acraglas gel? better epoxy? What adheres to oily wood?

I've tried just putting a drop of tru oil on the corner to build up that way, but it's not working.

If you enjoyed reading about "help with a gunstock issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 4, 2013, 01:09 AM
What adheres to oily wood?Nothing.

Sand it back down to clean wood, apply the clear epoxy, or stained matching Accra-Glass filler, then start over finishing it.

You might be able to make a less visible repair by sawing out the section and inlaying a new piece of wood that matches the grain color and direction with epoxy or Accra-Glass.

rc

gunman72
July 4, 2013, 01:47 AM
Gorilla glue, it with stick to anything. Try using this glue and use a technique with using deeper shading around whichever areas of the gun you choose to make it look intentional.

greyling22
July 4, 2013, 06:34 PM
well nuts. not what I really wanted to hear, but I"ll make it work. I read online that acraglass dried clear, so I sanded down and tried that. It stayed yellow. So now I'm sanding down again and I'll try a clear epoxy. hopefully it will at least kind of match tru-oiled walnut.

greyling22
July 5, 2013, 08:32 PM
Ok, so the acraglass stuck real well to my stock, but the harbor freight $1 epoxy isn't working very well or setting up very hard. (surprise surprise)

Any recommendations for a clear epoxy that sets up real hard and bonds really well that is commonly obtainable? Don't really want to order something in or buy a gallon of something.

rcmodel
July 5, 2013, 08:59 PM
Devcon 30 minute epoxy from the hardware store works for me for knife building.

rc

greyling22
July 5, 2013, 09:48 PM
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/extreme-power-30-minute-slow-setting-epoxy-855890/ you think this is the same stuff? I can't find devcon at lowes, HD, walmart, tractor supply, northern tool, and we don't have an ACE anymore.

rcmodel
July 5, 2013, 09:52 PM
Yes, that should work too.

I have used a ton of it building R/C aircraft and it always worked perfectly.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "help with a gunstock issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!