Preferences buying once fired brass

PDA

Apiarian
July 4, 2013, 08:34 AM
What are your preferences when buying once fired brass?
I know there is the old commercial vs military, but to get past that ....

If military then: (specify pistol or rifle)

No processing

Clean

deprimed and de-crimped

add neck sizing

add full length sizing

add trim to standard length

anything else?

If you enjoyed reading about "Preferences buying once fired brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Apiarian
July 4, 2013, 08:38 AM
I'll start by answering my own thread.

For my personal reloading I like clean deprimed and decrimped only. I like to size my brass my way and sure don't want someone else trimming my brass for me. Some things I just like to do my way. Trying to find out if I'm an oddball. :uhoh:

Muddydogs
July 4, 2013, 08:43 AM
I like it dirty and nasty. You say once fired I say leave the primer and crimp if military so I know its once fired. I size for my weapons so why buy already sized brass which may have to much or to little sizing. If the seller wants to clean it some I have no problem with that but don't really care one way or another.

Neck sizing is not really applicable on once fired since it may or may not fit in another weapon. If the first weapon to fire the brass had a large chamber then the neck sized case will most likely not fit into a weapon with a normal or tight chamber, best to leave the neck sizing up to the buyer.

baz
July 4, 2013, 08:48 AM
I've only recently started buying milsurp .308, and have never seen anything processed beyond the first two steps you list. Given the choice of no processing and cleaned, deprimed and decrimped, I've opted for the latter (but might not if the price differential was too great). As for processing beyond that, I'd probably pass on it, if I ever saw it.

beatledog7
July 4, 2013, 09:03 AM
I prefer used brass fresh from the bench, floor, or ground, and with the primer crimp intact if it ever had a crimp.

I guess tumbling it is ok, and I have bought tumbled brass, but I don't want any other processing done.

"Once-fired" is never a certainly unless I bought it new, though primer crimps are almost a sure thing. Buying uncrimped "once-fired" brass from any source leaves the possibility that the brass has in fact been reloaded before, even if the seller may honestly believe it hasn't.

mgmorden
July 4, 2013, 09:17 AM
I don't care to have anything done with it. I'll tumble, size, and decrimp it myself. I have only bought once-fired handgun brass so I don't even bother to trim.

mahansm
July 4, 2013, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't mind cleaned, but running a few batches through the tumbler is not a big deal. It's actually nice to see the primers crimped in place, as that assures me that it's actually once fired. I'll set the size die to fit my chambers and the Dillon 600 removes the crimps quickly and easily.

Since you can't trim and debur before sizing, I don't need that done. Actually, the most tedious part for me is the deburring, as I'm still using a hand tool for that stage. This one strikes home, as I'm in the middle of a batch of 1K 7.62 and have 1K 5.56 coming next week.

carbine85
July 4, 2013, 09:32 AM
My preference is commercial brass because it's less work the 1st time around. I've never purchased once fired processed brass. I prefer to process the brass myself.

Walkalong
July 4, 2013, 09:34 AM
Tumbled was OK but not preferred before SS tumbling came along. Now I would want no processing whatsoever unless from a big reputable seller.

ID-shooting
July 4, 2013, 09:36 AM
Like others, dirty, grungy, nothing done to it.

Apiarian
July 4, 2013, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't mind cleaned, but running a few batches through the tumbler is not a big deal. It's actually nice to see the primers crimped in place, as that assures me that it's actually once fired. I'll set the size die to fit my chambers and the Dillon 600 removes the crimps quickly and easily.

Since you can't trim and debur before sizing, I don't need that done. Actually, the most tedious part for me is the deburring, as I'm still using a hand tool for that stage. This one strikes home, as I'm in the middle of a batch of 1K 7.62 and have 1K 5.56 coming next week.
Your Dillon 650 swags primer pockets? How did you set that up? If it is in another thread please just give me a link.

Thank
John

Never mind............you're not talking about your press.

rodregier
July 4, 2013, 11:57 AM
+1 for dirty and grungy. I would rather use my own processes for prep rather than depending on the efforts of another. It also means I'm paying for my own labour rather than someone else's, less markup.

howlnmad
July 4, 2013, 12:55 PM
Cheap and dirty.

rg1
July 4, 2013, 01:06 PM
Only 1000 round lot of LC once fired I have purchased deprimed and decrimped was slightly over swaged and some pockets are minimal. I'll never buy any more processed brass. Rather do it myself. Only reason for purchasing it was that brass recently was scarce. I prefer dirty and untouched once fired.

Apiarian
July 4, 2013, 01:14 PM
I'm seeing a trend that I did not expect. Keep it coming.

In the meantime I think I'll act on what you fine folk have been saying.

FROGO207
July 4, 2013, 01:45 PM
I would like to process my own brass also. I have SS pins that I tumble with and the most unusable/corroded brass can be made to look good by "cleaning", brass that they might not cull out first. I want to make that decision to use or scrap each piece of brass myself. I will only buy hard to get calibers once fired now, most of the brass I get is range/pit pickups I collect myself. I have 5 gallon buckets of good serviceable brass ready to be processed in the common calibers I shoot----223, 30-06, 308, 9MM, 45 ACP, etc. The ones that are rare to find at the range I will buy new or fired as dictated by the price of it. My rule is to never pay more than 50% of new cost on brass that I can readily buy new. For 25-20 SS or 33 WIN and the like, I buy whatever is available if I feel the brass is worth it to me at the time. YMMV

Muddydogs
July 4, 2013, 02:38 PM
If you could figure out a way to trim the brass and clean up the case mouth without sizing plus uniform the primer pocket without depriming then I'm in for a truck load.:evil: But it still has to be cheap.

TenDriver
July 4, 2013, 03:04 PM
Cheap n dirty just like my car.

cfullgraf
July 4, 2013, 03:14 PM
When I buy fired cases, I prefer to buy fired cases of a single head stamp and not processed.

Cleaned cases would be ok but I would prefer not to pay for the service. Anything else such as resizing, trimming or crimp removal is definitely undesirable as the actions may make the cases un-usable in my firearms.

Apiarian
July 4, 2013, 04:58 PM
If you could figure out a way to trim the brass and clean up the case mouth without sizing plus uniform the primer pocket without depriming then I'm in for a truck load.:evil: But it still has to be cheap.
I'll send that to R&D; my wife needs something to do.

mtrmn
July 4, 2013, 05:08 PM
Although it hasn't been available in like...forEVer, I prefer fully processed and ready to load. Scharch and Apex brass got most of my business in the last few years. All that swaging primer pockets, trimming etc just used up my limited loading time. I can do without all that drudgery.

I did find a swager that seems to be much faster than anything else I've seen. The CH4D.

the count
July 4, 2013, 05:16 PM
I don't quite get what this thread is about.... I pick up brass from the range. As in free?! Dirty or not, who cares? Clean it, check it, size it , load it, shoot it. I have pistol calibers that I have reloaded countless times and they are still 100% OK.

Mohave-Tec
July 4, 2013, 08:23 PM
Pick it up from the range and do it all myself. I reload. Not kinda-sorta reload. LOL.

cfullgraf
July 4, 2013, 09:23 PM
I don't quite get what this thread is about.... I pick up brass from the range. As in free?! Dirty or not, who cares? Clean it, check it, size it , load it, shoot it. I have pistol calibers that I have reloaded countless times and they are still 100% OK.

Very true, but where I shoot most, the only brass available to me is what I shoot. Not much chance to add to my case supply except by purchasing new or once fired cases.

The upside is that I only have to step outside my back door to shoot.:)

rcmodel
July 4, 2013, 09:29 PM
I don't quite get what this thread is about....I pick up brass from the range. As in free?!Maybe where you live.

But around here, you have to get up early and stay late to find anything but cigarette butts on the range, and used birth control devices in the parking lot.

You are lucky if the crackheads haven't stolen the target stands and trash cans for scrap metal over-night.

rc

FROGO207
July 4, 2013, 10:35 PM
^^ I hear they make great reactive targets when caught stealing RC.:evil:

medalguy
July 5, 2013, 01:38 AM
I like mine dirty and unprocessed. OK, clean and unprocessed is better, but I want un-messed-with brass so I can see exactly what I'm getting. When I have fired brass to sell, I also never process it at all so my customers can see what THEY are getting too. It's very easy to hide a multitude of sins in processed, shiny brass.

bobinoregon
July 5, 2013, 02:34 AM
I'm for as it was picked up. I've seen some pretty nasty brass look good after stainless pins. I'll clean and process for myself, crimped primer is always a good sign.

maxyedor
July 5, 2013, 02:33 PM
Rifle brass, I'll pay a little more or "clean" brass off the ground, I'll take "dirty" but the price better be right since it'll dirty up my media and take longer to clean. Also, if it's being sold by weight, the price needs to drop if it's dirty, not willing to pay "brass" prices for the dirt that got swept up with it.

Pistol brass, I prefer to buy tumbled, I have tons of dirty range pick-up handgun brass, so it's nice to buy pre-tumbled for when I need to load 500 rounds for a weekend really quick and don't have time to tumble my own. I will not buy crimped primer handgun brass, and when I randomly find it, it gets scrapped, too much work.

JSmith
July 5, 2013, 02:44 PM
LAst time I bought once-fired brass it was .45ACP, tumbled, not decapped or resized. That was fine with me.

Mohave-Tec
July 5, 2013, 03:45 PM
I have thousands of rounds of brass here. Maybe ten's of thousands. The only way I've ever gotten brass was from me picking it up off the ground or on a couple occasions I have paid $65 to a friend for 1000 rounds of 223 tumbled or $40 per 1000 tumbled when he has it and I feel like buying i instead of going to the range. Some of the stories I've read here makes me curious where other people live where you have to pursue all these different ways of buying brass. Here, popular spots in the desert are full of brass.

Jcinnb
July 5, 2013, 08:12 PM
Man, I went to range mid week, picked up a ton of 30-06. Resized to 25-06, and shot perfectly.

I have done spoilt myself!

PJSprog
July 8, 2013, 02:05 PM
I'm currently processing some "once fired" .223 cases bought from Midway some time ago. Full-length resized and decapped, then trimmed and cleaned with steel wool on my Zip Trim. It's a bit of work and slow, but I actually like it.

cacoltguy
July 9, 2013, 03:57 AM
About the only once-fired brass I buy is Lake City .308 to feed in my M1A since it eats brass and doesn't make sense to pay extra for unfired stuff that will be trashed after 4 firings. Since cost is the main factor here, I don't want to pay extra to have any processing done to it. Just give it to me straight from the range and I'll do the rest. Plus, I prefer to process it myself so I can have more control over it (headspaced for my rifle, . neck tension adjusted to my needs with bushings in my resizing die etc....)

Hondo 60
July 9, 2013, 11:36 AM
It doesn't really matter for me.
I'll resize 'em to my die settings anyways.

If they're still dirty I'll just tumble 'em.

I guess, in a perfect world, I wouldn't mind if they were deprimed & wet tumbled so even the primer pocket was clean.

Lj1941
July 9, 2013, 07:58 PM
I want to be sure I am getting what I pay for-for example once fired.I will decap and size-remove crimp ect. Cleaned is OK too-but not needed.I have only bought OF brass one time and that was a positive experience - no BS.:cuss:

Apiarian
July 15, 2013, 07:41 AM
This was some very good input.
I do wonder if pistol shooters vs rifle shooters are any different.....

horseman1
July 15, 2013, 01:18 PM
I have purchased once fired brass several times. It' tough to get brass in Colorado, since the kooks have taken over the state. Good Coloradan's are picking up all their brass these days, even people that don't reload.

My loads seem to shoot better if I get some blood on them that has been freshly extracted from me trying to remove the crimp in the primer pockets :).

AlliedArmory
July 15, 2013, 04:21 PM
I prefer unprocessed brass as I would want to control the variables myself. Nice and dirty works for me.

jeeptim
July 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
Un touched is best. I bought 250 once fired L.C. Match early 1950s very cool so o
I decapped sized primed tossed in the tumbler then checked for trim ALL were trimmed way to short wasted 250 primers gave to my buddy I think he cut in to 8mm mauser.
Good news the guy i got them from full refund shipping and a $10.00 starbucks card. Think he is one of us.

Beentown
July 15, 2013, 08:37 PM
Dirty, unprocessed.

Elkins45
July 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
For military brass I don't mind getting it with the crimp still intact and dirty from the range. That's just a verification of the once fired status.

What I'm really scared of is 40 S&W or especially 10mm brass that has been processed in any way. I'm afraid that some of it is dangerously weakened because of a Glock bulge but I dont know which ones because the bulge has been ironed out. I cracked the frame on my G20 because of a case failure with some "once fired" brass.

Mohave-Tec
July 16, 2013, 09:03 PM
Just give me all the freakin' brass. I'll figure it out from there. There's never enough.

July 18, 2013, 12:04 AM
I prefer once-fired brass just like it came from the range floor. I don't want to pay for someone else working the brass and prefer to do my own case prep. I have heard from guys that bought .223 at gun shows from a "reloader" that they constantly jam and sometimes misfire. I certainly don't want to pay for shoddy workmanship. I can do that all on my own thank you very nice.

On a positive note, I did meet a fella from backpage that offered 120+ pieces of once-fired .270 win brass for $20. He showed up on time and explained that he planned to reload them but lost interest and wanted to get rid of the brass. It has been excellent brass for a friend of mine who I hooked up on the deal when I knew he was looking for some. He got 50 rounds loaded with partitions and I got the rest for the day I get a .270 or trade them off. I did however process the brass already (polished, resized, trimmed, chamfered, neck turned, flash holes de-burred, primer pockets uniformed, separated by head stamp)...oops.

If you enjoyed reading about "Preferences buying once fired brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!