Do you chamfer and deburr NEW rifle brass?

PDA

Rule3
July 5, 2013, 09:11 PM
Finally found some brand new (yes it's out there) 30-30 brass. I know I need to size it, but what about chamfering and deburring the case mouth. I am so excited, never had new, new brass:D;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you chamfer and deburr NEW rifle brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 5, 2013, 09:13 PM
Yes.

Very slightly.

rc

Zeke/PA
July 5, 2013, 09:21 PM
Very slight chamfer inside and outside of neck and size the neck also.

alsaqr
July 5, 2013, 09:25 PM
The new case mouths get a light chamfer/debur job. The flash hole is deburred at the same time.

Walkalong
July 5, 2013, 09:31 PM
Yes.

Very slightly.Same here.

morcey2
July 5, 2013, 09:40 PM
Chamfer on everything. Deburr flash hole on everything but Lapua.

witchhunter
July 5, 2013, 11:07 PM
I FL size, trim, deburr flash hole and uniform primer pockets on all new brass...just so I know it is all the same when I load it.

dragon813gt
July 5, 2013, 11:12 PM
Yes on all accounts.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

flipajig
July 5, 2013, 11:56 PM
Yup. Just title bit
Flip

moxie
July 5, 2013, 11:59 PM
I think the OP is referring to chamfering and deburring the case mouth. Flash holes and primer pockets are a different issue.

I also chamfer and deburr new brass and once fired. The factories typically don't do it.

texashunter
July 6, 2013, 12:02 AM
trim, debur flash hole, chamfer and debur. start with all pieces equal

Crashbox
July 6, 2013, 12:28 AM
Ditto here as per RC and Walkalong.

gamestalker
July 6, 2013, 12:52 AM
I do, whether new or once fired, I always run it through the FL die, trim, and then ream and chamfer.

GS

dirtykid
July 6, 2013, 12:59 AM
Neck-size o correct anything thats not already perfectley round.
Then just barely touch the inside /outside of case neck on reamer
Flash-holes on everything except Lapua, get spun a few turns

Rule3
July 6, 2013, 01:33 AM
I take that as a yes then:) Thanks

Never have done a flash hole? How necessary is that on a 30-30??

steve4102
July 6, 2013, 01:39 AM
There is really only two times that I chamfer the case mouths.
1) New brass.

2) Trimmed brass.

Centurian22
July 6, 2013, 04:53 AM
So does this apply to ALL new brass or only rifle? I know most say they never trim pistol brass so where does chamfer / deburr fall?

dragon813gt
July 6, 2013, 07:09 AM
For pistol, anything w/ a roll crimp. I like the crimps to be uniform. I really should trim brass that needs a taper crimp because it headspaces off the cartridge. But it's worked fine w/out doing it.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

45lcshooter
July 6, 2013, 09:19 AM
Chamfer, deburr, every reloading, even new brass. Flash hole deburring, i do about every 3-4 reloads, and yes new brass gets flash hole deburred before loaded for first time.

jwrowland77
July 6, 2013, 09:48 AM
Since all the new brass that I have gotten needed to be trimmed, yes chamfer and deburr the case mouth. I also neck size only and deburr the flash hole as well.

PJSprog
July 8, 2013, 02:59 PM
Like others, slightly inside and out on the mouth. Run your fingers over a few of your new cases and in short order you'll understand why.

pleopard
July 8, 2013, 04:57 PM
Does it matter when you chamfer/debur? Like before/after sizing ... before/after tumbling ... ?

morcey2
July 8, 2013, 05:00 PM
Does it matter when you chamfer/debur? Like before/after sizing ... before/after tumbling ... ?
If you chamfer before at least neck-sizing, you'll likely be chamfering an out-of-round case mouth. I don't think it matters in relation to tumbling. Also, depending on the tool used you should deburr after sizing/trimming/chamfering. Most of the deburring tools depend on consistent case length and a round case mouth.

Matt

Arkansas Paul
July 8, 2013, 05:05 PM
Yep.
Just a lil bit.

FROGO207
July 8, 2013, 05:13 PM
I treat new brass the same as OF brass. Yes I do a complete going over from sizing, length sizing, and lightly chamfer/deburr as needed. If you do not bother do all that AT LEAST make sure it is not too long and the empty brass will chamber before loading it..

brickeyee
July 8, 2013, 05:13 PM
Chamfer everything but pistol brass that is going to be flared.

Rule3
July 8, 2013, 05:24 PM
Yes, On the 30-30 brass I just got (Remington) you can see the case mouths are not round, Some are downright flattened on one side. I just full length sized them all and now will trim them a bit as they are almost max length. Then chamfer and deburr

It probably is good to do the flash hole but I never have on 223, 30 carbine or 30-06. Never did one on any pistol calibers.
I suppose if one is a bench rest shooter every little thing matters, but I doubt it will improve my shooting to be worth the effort. Heck, I do not sort brass by head stamp either.:uhoh: 99.99% of all my brass is range brass from the days when the fields were lined with gold (brass):D

GLOOB
July 11, 2013, 10:50 PM
You would know if you looked at the case mouth and tried seating a few bullets. Or you could just do what everyone tells you. :)

Nagul8r
July 13, 2013, 10:47 PM
I just started reloading rifle (.222 Rem) ; I've been reloading .38 Special for a few years. I full length resized, chamfered lightly, but have a problem getting the bullet started when I try to seat it. Do I need to chamfer more?

Rodfac
July 13, 2013, 11:56 PM
Yes. I also de-burr the primer hole. Rod

blarby
July 14, 2013, 04:04 AM
Yep, full prep.

stavman11
July 14, 2013, 10:22 AM
I just started reloading rifle (.222 Rem) ; I've been reloading .38 Special for a few years. I full length resized, chamfered lightly, but have a problem getting the bullet started when I try to seat it. Do I need to chamfer more?
BT or Boat Tail-Beveled Bottom Bullets should seat fine without Chamfering, loaded 1000's of FMT-BT and never chamfered any cases
Now FB or Flat Base Bullets are easier to Load with a Chamfered case..

BT will balance on there own and load great.... FB will need to be Guided into Bullet Die so do take a bit more time to load

Nagul8r
July 14, 2013, 09:17 PM
I inherited about 1000 flat base & spend more time picking them up than loading.:banghead:

wkuban
July 14, 2013, 09:36 PM
Yes, and I trim them if they're not the same length.

Clark
July 15, 2013, 04:27 AM
In 1999 I started handloading with a Rockchucker kit that came with a Wilson 60 degree chamfering tool.
At some point I was researching everything Bart Bobbitt ever posted [40 shots at 600 yards, all inside 2 inches]. I found a 1992 use net [before there were gun forums on the WWW] where he said that not chamfering would cause the bullets to get scratched. He used a #5 easy out instead of a 60 degee chamfer.
rec.guns 1992 post (https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!search/rec.guns$20bart$20chamfer/rec.guns/1w1VAqj82rw/FyTqQ-OTBusJ)
As I measure the old RCBS OEM Wilson it is 60 degrees.
The newer RCBS 22 degree VLD chamfer looks like 25 degrees to me.
And a #4 easy out looks like 7 degrees and needs a left hand twist to cut.

beatledog7
July 15, 2013, 09:12 AM
Brand new brass is often in need of certain fixes: necks not round or not cut off square to the case body or not uncommon.

With a batch of new rifle brass, I test chamber to ensure the shoulders have been formed in the right place. I have yet to find a piece of unfired brass that won't chamber, but you never know. Then I neck size the lot. This ensures uniform neck tension, and if any mouths are flattened at all, this step will round them.

Next I find the shortest one and verify that it's within spec length, and I "trim" it just enough to square the mouth to the body. I trim the rest to match.

Finally I debur and chamfer the necks and uniform the flash holes. Now they're ready to prime and load.

BigG
July 15, 2013, 09:41 AM
Yes. It's part of the drill. Case preparation is a big part of successful reloading. So you want to skip it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you chamfer and deburr NEW rifle brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!