Ihhaca Flues? DB with .22 insert

PDA

content
July 5, 2013, 10:25 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // I recently picked up a 1915 DOM? , Ithaca DB set, with 26" and 28" Damascus twist barrels. Both barrels and forearms number to the receiver.

The 26" passes the bell test but the 28" has been brazed at the hinge and does not.
Lock up is extremely smooth and tight. I placed a piece of legal pad paper into the action and had perfect closure with both barrels..

The .10", .22 insert, 12ga. snap caps, and the .410 chamber insert all three fit and the, later two, eject well in both barrels.

My question is concerning pressure data of shooting .22 out of the 10" insert, both bullets and shot shells.

Also, having Black Powder for my muzzle loaders, perhaps recommendations on using the .410 chamber inserts. Light loads of FFG, in modern 2 3/4" shells.
....Too much plastic burn?

Comments or direction to a previous threat are appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ihhaca Flues? DB with .22 insert" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 6, 2013, 11:45 AM
There should be no risk at all using the .22 inserts.

The inserts take all the chamber pressure, and the Damascus barrels will never see any pressure.
The .22 case head is too small for back thrust against the receiver to be anywhere close to what it would have been with 12 ga shells originally.

I can't help with .410 black-powder load data, but they should be safe too for the same reasons.

rc

content
July 6, 2013, 12:27 PM
Thank you RC.
Glad to get confirmation from someone smarter than me.

I really like to take the old wall hangers out occasionally, with a load they can handle.
My first venture into Damascus though.
I think Ithaca made a good shotgun but the care given by the owner/s is always the question.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ihhaca Flues? DB with .22 insert" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!