5.56 Ammo Duplication

PDA

Hard_Cast
July 6, 2013, 07:32 PM
Howdy guys!

I've been working on a project for a while as ammo has been scarce to non-existent with prices that ought to make an honest man cry! In my efforts to find an m193 or m855 ammo duplication, I came across several hurdles...

First off, the case: to stay true to form, I really wanted to go with military brass. Found some mixed year LC at a fun show for cheap, can't tell that big of a difference with current years I have now acquired, so great! Primers, they're out of stock everywhere, so I found some Tula 5.56 labeled SR... less of a risk for slam fires, so check that off. Found some 62 gr .224 penetrators loose in a 1k bag, so check off cheap bullets.

Where I have been stuck was on what powder. People said Varget, 748, ramshot TAC,............ I was at a loss. Saw CFE-223 at the show, for store prices- not a steal, but I wanted to try it, had read about its qualities and liked the idea. It has done me GREAT.

All of this to say, I just got in some 855 green tip, and of course, had to pull a bullet. Guess what was in the case????

I SUSPECT that 855 contains 26.6-26.8 (Alright, I pulled a few) grains of CFE-223. The powder's appearance, and smell (couldn't help it), as well as smoke from being shot, are all consistent with CFE. I found my best accuracy with 26.0 gr CFE under the 62 gr Penetrator COL 2.25", and 193 duplication using sierra 53 gr HP Match over 27.0 gr CFE COL 2.20". Scoped, I shoot groups hovering in and out of 1 inch at 100 yards, the green tip was closer to 2.5 inches, from a stock m4 16'' Colt.

Thought this info would be appreciated, I regret the lack of a chronograph, but the Mil-Spec is WAAYYY hotter than mine so I am not worried.
Sorry for the long post, but this is everything I was looking for over the past few months and couldn't find any consensus in forums as to where to go with the loads.

Happy shooting!

Patrick

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56 Ammo Duplication" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
July 6, 2013, 07:46 PM
H322 will do what you want with the 55 Grainers. I tested in 99 plus degree heat.

TAC would be a good one to try, but I did not, even though I have plenty. I started with powders I had the most of, and when H322 worked, I stopped, without getting to TAC.

I have not worked up a "5.56" load with 62 Grainers, even though I have some, and have intended to for years now.

kerreckt
July 6, 2013, 07:50 PM
Thought you might like this.186050

joustin
July 6, 2013, 08:38 PM
M855 is loaded with WC844. The canister grade is H335. They are not always 100% interchangeable but fairly close so work up any loads.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56 Ammo Duplication" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!