Just Hit 2k rounds in my LnL AP

PDA

baddad06
July 7, 2013, 12:59 AM
All I just completed 2k rounds on my now 3 month old LnL AP. I have been reloading on a Rock Crusher for 3 years and finaly bit the bullet so to speak and bought the LnL. It took some time to dial it in for both 40's and 9's but I have to say it rocks. I had some issues early on with the priming system (dirty bad) but this forum had the answers. It was also a challenge to remember to push forward to seat the primer. The first 100 rounds I missed 6, the second hundred 5, and third only one. You have to get in a rhythm for sure. I have no problems with the PTX and belling once I properly adjusted that linkage thing. I also bought the $14 dollar LED light and the powder cop. I must say it is difficult to go from watching one station to 5! The light allows me to see each fill level prior to seating and the Powder Cop seems very reliable. The set up gives me two chances to insure safe loads. I love reloading as a hobby and this machine is a pleasure to operate. Sure you have to do a little tinkering but if you keep it up it runs well. Now I just need to save enough cash for the case feeder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just Hit 2k rounds in my LnL AP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
david bachelder
July 7, 2013, 01:08 AM
Im at 1400 rounds, not far behind you. My experience was exactly like yours. Once the press had me trained and I worked a few bugs out, both with me and the press, it rocks. I have no problem reloading any of my pistol rounds. As a matter of fact I had to stop loading, at the moment I have more ammo than I'll shoot in a year. I just can't get out to the range as often as I used to.

By the way, its a RockChucker not crusher. I have one too, and I'll most likely keep it forever.

baddad06
July 7, 2013, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the RockCrusher. Its a mental thing, I always call it a rock crusher! I also agree on the loading. My issue is a little different, I am going through supplies like crazy because I can produce more ammo in a shorter time frame. I also find that I shoot more because I have more ammo. sounds like I vicious circle or more fun!

scotch827
July 7, 2013, 11:24 AM
I have had a LNL for several years now and have lost track of my rounds. I have loaded 380's, 9mm, 38 special, 45acp and 5.56. I love it. I had to go through a learning curve also. I solved most of my problems on THR. My biggest problem was the primer feed. I polished the shuttle tray with Flitz and spray graphite on the shuttle. I am going to try Eezox on the primer area next time I get set up to load. I think it will be cleaner to work with than the graphite.

SC_Dave
July 7, 2013, 05:53 PM
Did you guys just keep up with the round count or do you have counters rigged up on LnL?
David

Crunchy Frog
July 7, 2013, 08:40 PM
I also used a RockChucker single stage press for many years but once I started shooting cowboy action I needed something with a better rate of production. I have the LNL-AP and added a casefeeder after a few months. I probably have 5000 rounds loaded so far.

The casefeeder is a little fiddly but overall it works OK. I had to replace the microswitch that turns the motor off when the tube is filled with cases.

I followed the tips I found here and elsewhere about smoothing out the primer feed operation. The press works well now that it's broken in a little. Several of my friends have Dillons, which are great, but the LNL-AP has some features I like better.

I use the RCBS Lockout Die with mine; if it detects and undercharged or overcharged case it stops the press cold. The first time it "activated" it was because a .357 case had gotten mixed in with the .38 Specials I was loading.

So far I load .38 Special, .45 ACP, 9mm, .44 Special and .41 Magnum.

I use the PTX with the autopistol calibers so that I can use separate dies for bullet seating and crimping. I tried it with .38 Special and didn't like it as well; I was getting occasional dented case mouths from the PTX.

BYJO4
July 7, 2013, 09:14 PM
Glad you like your Hornady. I just went over 75,000 rounds on mine which I got in Sept 2010. I keep track of rounds loaded to remind me when it's time to lube press.

david bachelder
July 8, 2013, 09:54 AM
"Did you guys just keep up with the round count or do you have counters rigged up on LnL?"

I keep a spread sheet on everything I reload. The count is part of that sheet.

Raeth
July 8, 2013, 10:03 PM
Glad you like your Hornady. I just went over 75,000 rounds on mine which I got in Sept 2010. I keep track of rounds loaded to remind me when it's time to lube press.
How often does the LNL need to be lubed?

BYJO4
July 8, 2013, 10:53 PM
I add grease every 3000 rounds. Usually 2 squeezes with the grease gun on each fitting.

thump_rrr
July 9, 2013, 05:37 AM
Did you guys just keep up with the round count or do you have counters rigged up on LnL?
David
I simply count how many boxes of primers I go through.

baddad06
July 13, 2013, 03:56 AM
I count my rounds based on primer usage. Which I must say is way up since I bought the LnL. from a production perspective I am up to 200 rounds per hour vs. 50-75 on the RockChucker. Based on all of the comments I am afraid to buy the case feeder. I don't have a lot of spare cash and $300 is huge to me. I also keep logs of every round I make. I do it so I can track the performance and God forbid any failures. I had my 1st squib on a Winchester primer. I prefer cci or Remington. The squib may have been a result of handling but I am now jaded.

I just bought new dies (9mm)after using RCBS for 7 years! I use Hornady in 40 and have no complaints. I bought a set of Redding 9mm Luger and OMG! The sizing die alone is worth the freight . I lubed it because it does go deep. I took a q tip and lubed the inards. I now have Lee, Hornady, RCBS and Redding.

I use a combo because there are things I like about each one.

baddad06
July 13, 2013, 04:07 AM
I respect your position. The advantage of the Powder Cop is you can make the call if it is in tolerance. I don't just want to know if I missed a load or doubled I want to know if I am in tolerance. Big difference> I have done visuals and weighed loads and I have confidence in the Powder Cop

cfullgraf
July 13, 2013, 06:22 AM
David

I keep a log of all my hand loads including number of rounds, bullet, case, powder and primer as well as some other remarks.

Since I expanded to using a progressive as well as a single stage, the press is used is included as well.

I reload lots more than some, way less than others but I stopped worrying about total round count decades ago.

I lubricate my Hornady L-N-L when the spirit moves me but doing it by a fixed round count is good idea. I would probably just keep a tally sheet and keep a running total to indicate when it is time to lubricate.

I count rounds loaded on the Hornady by keeping track of the primers used.

Chief 101
July 14, 2013, 11:09 PM
you guys just getting started?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just Hit 2k rounds in my LnL AP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!