Can someone ID this rifle?


July 7, 2013, 11:18 AM
Someone asked about it on a Facebook group page and all they stated was "Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? It has an octagon barrel and no stamps or markings anywhere".

I've done a little searching, but my knowledge on older firearms is VERY limited.

And this is the only picture:

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone ID this rifle?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
July 7, 2013, 11:23 AM
I have no clue based on the info. Can you ask for more pictures? How about looking for stamping under the wood? Show full pictures?

July 7, 2013, 12:02 PM
Okay. I got some more pictures.

July 7, 2013, 02:22 PM
It's clearly a breech loading gun of some sort. I know I've seen one before but I'm drawing a blank on the name. I'll see if I can refresh my memory. Also, your other pictures aren't working.

July 7, 2013, 02:28 PM
Someone on the person's original post said that it is a "Flobert" style action and that most were rimfire of low pressure and the action isn't strong enough to stand up to much more than a rimfire. I've looked it up because i had never heard of it, but I don't know much about it.

July 7, 2013, 02:51 PM
It's a flip up breach of some sort, probably European. I've seen one somewhere, or pics. Might check w/ the National Firearms Museum in VA, they probably have one.

July 7, 2013, 02:53 PM
That is exactly right.

Flobert of some sort.


July 7, 2013, 02:56 PM
but a Warnant type.
Inexpensive rifles and smoothbores (garden guns) were made on this action, primarily in Belgium. It is not very strong, and was chambered only for .22, .32 and 9mm rimfire cartridges.
The true Flobert has no separate breechblock: the hammer face is enlarged and has a fixed firing pin - it serves both to close the breech and fire the cartridge. It is limited to cartridges of the .22 short class.
The Warnant action has a separate breechblock, which is pivoted on screws to the left and right of the chamber, and which is held down (locked) by the hammer when fired.
Neither Flobert nor Warnant arms are generally of much value, though some very ornate specimens have been made. It is true that arms having both types of action are often called Floberts.
The illustrated Warnant is of the most common type.

PRD1 - mhb - Mike

Jim Watson
July 7, 2013, 06:30 PM
I have always considered the Warnant action guns to be part of the Flobert family, along with the Plain Flobert, Extractor Flobert, and Rolling Block Flobert.
I can't say they were designed by Flobert, although they were probably produced by the same companies.
I do know that it is or was usual in Europe to refer to any single shot rimfire as a Flobert, just as any lever action was a Winchester and any autopistol was a Browning at one time.
Just like any photocopier is a Xerox, genericification of a brand name.

July 8, 2013, 01:54 PM
See this:


If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone ID this rifle?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!