$400 to spend: LCP, 10/22 TD or Aimpoint?

PDA

TrailWolf
July 7, 2013, 02:56 PM
Title says it all - have $400 to spend and don't know what I want...

LCP: Smallest CCW gun is a Glock 26, but it'd be nice to have the LCP for the handful of times over the Summer when Glock won't be easy to carry and although I don't have total confidence in the 380, would be nice to have an always gun. Owned 3 already, but always wound up selling them - but really dig the new raised sights and trigger updates they made. I could get a new LCP for $310 otd.

Ruger 10/22 Take down: gave my 10/22 to my brother in law. Miss it some and would love another, but I haven't been able to get any 22lr ammo since January and I'm not paying 45acp prices. I could nab a new one for $330 otd.

Aimpoint PRO: My BCM ar is almost complete except for a good optic. I can score a PRO for $360 shipped. But do I really need an optic now when guns may be harder to get if and when this craziness starts up again...

What would you do?

If you enjoyed reading about "$400 to spend: LCP, 10/22 TD or Aimpoint?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sour Kraut
July 7, 2013, 03:04 PM
I am in a very similar position, although it involves different items. The new XDs in 9mm, an Aimpoint Pro for my AR, or a Can. I'm going with the Aimpoint. I have a number of great handguns and recently shot the XDs (didn't do anything for me, I shoot others much better), not anxious to wait a LONG time for a can, and I don't yet have an optic for my new AR. YMMV......

Manny
July 7, 2013, 03:54 PM
I'd finish your AR build and have it done. You've no .22lr now to shoot the 10/22 and have tried the LCP 3 times and found it lacking besides having limited confidence in it. A done and ready to rock AR is worth more by far to me than a gun with no ammo or one with very limited utility.

If you had ammo set back for .22lr my answer would have been the 10/22, as I consider mine to be one of my most essential weapons. But there are few objects in this world more useless than a gun with no ammo. Down the road when you can buy a case of .22lr to feed the 10/22 TD for a reasonable price, then add one to the mix. They're selling like hotcakes and there's no reason it won't be available as this panic passes. If you want, put back a few BX25's for it as they come available as THOSE may be tough to get.

One thing I've discovered from the two BHO panics as well as the Klinton AWB, if you have ammo and the hi-cap mags, the guns are nearly always available. When this panic started flaring I topped off my ammo stores and it's served me well.

huntsman
July 7, 2013, 03:57 PM
I don't have total confidence in the 380, would be nice to have an always gun. Owned 3 already, but always wound up selling them

why would somebody carry a caliber they didn't have confidence in? and why would somebody buy a 4th LCP when the first 3 were found wanting?

lloveless
July 7, 2013, 03:57 PM
I bought an LCP a year ago, because all I was finding ammo wise was .380. I had a wreck with a bunch of hawgs on a Texas road at night and used the .380 to euthanize a 200+ lb hog. It beat the .357 I left at the house. Shot placement is everything.
ll

TrailWolf
July 7, 2013, 04:01 PM
@huntsman - Good question. I shot the newer updated LCPs and my 2 biggest gripes were addressed - the new sights are usable and the trigger is about half as long. As far as caliber - I'd still rather carry a gun I wasn't as confident in as opposed to no gun at all...

76shuvlinoff
July 7, 2013, 04:18 PM
Got an LCP and mutiple .22 rifles. I need an Aimpoint for my 6920.

Aimpoint

huntsman
July 7, 2013, 04:18 PM
my LCP is older and I've found it usable as an EDC the sights and caliber were a non issue for me, the weight was. Since you answered my questions I'll vote for LCP :)

FWIW I traded a 10/22 for my LCP and consider it the best deal I've done ;)

bannockburn
July 7, 2013, 07:28 PM
I would go with the LCP as a suitable replacement for those times when your Glock 26 doesn't fit your needs for a particular CCW scenario.

Not much sense in getting the 10/22 Takedown rifle if you can't get any ammo for it.

You can get the Aimpoint PRO anytime.

Tomcat47
July 7, 2013, 07:40 PM
Replace LCP with XDs 9mm and I will say XDs! :D

But as you had it I would AIMpoint my BCS with those options and keep looking for a deal on a 10/22 .... they always pop up!

And I personally have nothing against a .380 .... just ammo cost and the fact that the XDs 9mm exist takes the LC9 off the list for me, and I have had XDs 45 for almost a year and I cannot praise this firearm enough... just an exceptional CCW. And surprisingly enough they have not been as hard to come by as the 45.

My Dealer has had and sold 3 since they were released and I got to experience one first hand this past Friday.

They are super sweet package!

TrailWolf
July 7, 2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the replies so far!

hso
July 7, 2013, 11:38 PM
Get a .22lr upper for the AR and you've added to the utility of the AR and scratched the .22lr rifle itch.

buckeye8
July 8, 2013, 02:15 AM
I'd finish that AR, especially since you say you can't get ahold of any .22lr.

I've got way too many guns laying around that I consider "almost done". Darn near every gun I own is still missing a holster or a light or a sight or ammo or magazines or something that I have put off getting for no good reason.

Bobson
July 8, 2013, 02:31 AM
Aimpoint PRO. You can't buy ammo for the 10/22 and you've already owned and sold three LCPs. Clearly it isn't the gun for you, but if you're a slow learner, try a fourth.

I'd go with the PRO even if you had never owned an LCP, and had thousands of rounds of 22LR stocked.

RFMan
July 8, 2013, 02:20 PM
I agree with the majority of posters...I wouldn't try a fourth LCP, if you already gave away your 10/22 I wouldn't get another, and you are finishing up a rifle that can use the Aimpoint. Seems fairly straightforward.

The only fly in the ointment is what you intend to do with the AR...if it's for plinking or just-because, the Aimpoint might be overkill or too much $$. For home defense, great.

gym
July 8, 2013, 03:43 PM
I would wait for something that really interested me, rather than make a buy just for the sake of it.

JustinJ
July 8, 2013, 06:02 PM
The LCP has the most practical application. I bought one for the same reason though but rarely find a time when I can't at least fit my LC9.

The other two are really just toys. Nothing wrong with that, I have plenty of toys, but for practical application only the LCP has real merit unless you carry an AR at work.

sappyg
July 8, 2013, 07:28 PM
OP never mentioned other firearms owned. Assuming no other 22lr in the collection go and get yourself a 10/22. A 22lr is a must have.

gym
July 8, 2013, 08:13 PM
It all depends on what you already have, need or just want. If forced to make a decision or lose the $400.00, I would take the LCP. I got rid of mine and would keep it instead of a spare mag. I ,"knowing myself", also got rid of my LCP, and 22 Ruger", as there was no real use for either in my neck of the woods. If you have a rifle that takes a red dot, then the Aimpoint would be the choice, you would enhance it's value to your self and should you ever want to sell the rifle you put it on.

Cee Zee
July 8, 2013, 10:57 PM
I know what I "did" do. LCP. It's a fine CCW gun especially for my wife.

Eiji81
July 9, 2013, 05:24 AM
Those 3 are all different things so its hard to say. Which would you really need at the moment, and which can wait?

IMO the LCP is last on the list since you have a G26 which in itself is a very good compact pistol.

Aimpoint is the 2nd choice. An excellent optic but you can always do with a cheaper BUIS from Troy/DD or RDS from Vortex.

10/22 TD was my vote for versatility of use and overall cheaper to shoot (ideally).

BSA1
July 9, 2013, 02:56 PM
As sappyg says a 22 LR rifle is essential in every gun collection.

BSA1
July 9, 2013, 03:00 PM
As sappyg says a 22 LR rifle is essential in every gun collection. 22 rim fire ammo is available abet at high prices. Big difference than not available at all.

Akita1
July 9, 2013, 09:48 PM
The optic; not much noise in the price. I got one on eBay last year for $328.

r1derbike
July 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
10/22 takedown. I can't see spending that much on an Aimpoint, even at a great price. My Walther works fine on the 6920.

Or like hso suggested, 22LR upper.

TrailWolf
July 12, 2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys!

Very close - going to give this a few more days!

If you enjoyed reading about "$400 to spend: LCP, 10/22 TD or Aimpoint?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!