If you could only keep one

PDA

TrickyDick
July 7, 2013, 03:14 PM
Of your entire collection, you could only grab one to save, what would it be and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "If you could only keep one" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TrickyDick
July 7, 2013, 03:40 PM
I suppose I should start.

M70AB2, simply because it is an AK, and you can't go wrong with AK

huntsman
July 7, 2013, 03:47 PM
Ok by saying grab my LCP in my pocket doesn't count ;) so to answer it would be my 12 gauge BSS by far my most valuable and versatile gun.

Sheepdog1968
July 7, 2013, 04:04 PM
In terms of saving, it would likely be my 30-30 lever action. I just enjoy it so much. I'd also want my Mossberg 500 pump. It's broken in and I have fond memories of busting clays with it. All could be replaced.

RetiredUSNChief
July 7, 2013, 04:37 PM
*tamps dirt over large, recently filled hole*

OK, I've kept my carry piece...my Colt 1991A1.

*blinks innocently*

:evil:

wow6599
July 7, 2013, 04:44 PM
Glock 20 SF.

10mm, 9x25 Dillon, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 9mm.

Can you get much more diverse?

Unistat
July 7, 2013, 04:55 PM
Out of the ARs (15s & a 10), a couple of .22 rifles, a .22 pistol, some shotguns, some .38s, my Glock 23 carry piece, & one Mosin-Nagant I'd have to say that I would hold on to my S&W Model 13.

Black Betty is my favorite and the one gun I have that can do just about anything the others can do (although not as well, of course.)

doc2rn
July 7, 2013, 05:13 PM
Weatherby MK V in 30-06, Reach out and touch something!

oneounceload
July 7, 2013, 05:56 PM
Not including two safe queens that were my dad's, it would be my 12 O/U since I shoot it several times a week at sporting clays; otherwise, I would grab the S&W 66

muggia59
July 7, 2013, 06:08 PM
My rossi 92 w/16" barrel that can shoot 357 or 38 ammo. Its probably the most versatile of them all. Other than that, I'm like a proud dad that isn't willing to give any of them up.

Fast Frank
July 7, 2013, 06:09 PM
No question whatsoever.

My Marlin 39as.

There's just something about that rifle. It reminds me of the one my Dad had when I was a kid.

Its accurate, reliable, it looks great, it shoulders and handles like it's a part of my body, and it makes me look like I know how to shoot or something.

That rifle "Speaks to me" more than any other.

If I have to run, it goes with me. There are better in my safe, but none I care more about.

content
July 7, 2013, 06:12 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // My birthday present in 1976.

Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga. w/ 28" VR and extra 18 1/2" VR barrel with mag extension.
Doubt I'd drop my carry gun though.:D

TennJed
July 7, 2013, 06:43 PM
Too hard to decide. I am the captain of my safe, so I would just have to go down with the ship

SilentStalker
July 7, 2013, 06:47 PM
For me it would be my TRG 22! Best bolt gun ever mass produced IMO!

TrickyDick
July 7, 2013, 06:56 PM
Too hard to decide. I am the captain of my safe, so I would just have to go down with the ship

That would be a glorious death, and I commend you for you're dedication. but whatever the situation, I would like to shoot my favorite gun another day..

gspn
July 7, 2013, 07:26 PM
My sons rifle. It's nothing special but he got it last year for his 13th birthday. I can replace all of mine...they're just metal...but that rifle has some memories attached, and I'd like to see him be able to use it the rest of his life.

bannockburn
July 7, 2013, 08:51 PM
If by saving only one you mean which one of my gun safes I was going to take with me, it would be the one that held all of my most favorite guns.

RBid
July 7, 2013, 09:03 PM
The one that goes everywhere with me: My Glock 19 (Gen 4).

Ian
July 7, 2013, 09:24 PM
That's easy - my Vickers. I can replace the others for a lot less money. :)

bigdogpete
July 7, 2013, 09:33 PM
My Python.

Lennyjoe
July 7, 2013, 09:38 PM
6 months ago I would of said Springfield XD45 but now I think I'll say my FNS 40 if it was only a pistol that I had to keep. For rifle, my Ruger 10-22.

But, it all depends on why I would be giving up the rest......

SconnieGirl
July 7, 2013, 09:48 PM
It would be the PPK my Granddaddy brought back from WWII and handed down to me.

My other guns are disposable, so to speak, in a situation where I could only grab one gun.

But why would I only be able to grab one gun when I have a bail out bag ready to go, with extra room, and a G19 already inside it?

Mikee Loxxer
July 7, 2013, 09:56 PM
My LRB M14SA. Let's see it's a .308, is accurate and well built (forged bolt and receiver). The kind of rifle that I should be able to get decades of service out of.
If I had to get rid of everything else I could rest assured that I've got an excellent rifle.

WALKERs210
July 7, 2013, 10:02 PM
What is the situation? How much time to choose? At one time I could easily make a choice because I only had one and some times two. Now it would take at least an hour to go between two cabinets and then after another 30 min !!! who am I kidding I want all of them but if I could only take one it would be my Winchester Model 70 in 300WinMag.

beatledog7
July 7, 2013, 10:06 PM
Glock 22.

Of all my firearms, I have the most mags and most ammo for for the G22 and can easily transport the lot. Not my most versatile firearm, and easily replaceable in the "today" world, but in the "today" world I would not face this scenario.

tomrkba
July 7, 2013, 10:08 PM
This is an impossible question.

Tedzilla
July 7, 2013, 10:20 PM
The Marlin 39 my grandad gave my father who gave it to me around 50 years ago. It's the most versatile, practical rifle I own and there aren't a lot of Kodiak Bears or Zombies around here.

MedWheeler
July 7, 2013, 10:24 PM
Jeez, again?

Okay, I'll bite (again.)

There is nothing I do with a firearm that cannot be handled by a .22 pistol. Since I carry a concealed firearm pretty much everywhere, of those guns I "owned right up until my boating accident earlier today", the one .22 pistol that can be easily and safely carried for defense and is enjoyable to plink with was my Taurus PT-22. My Feg AP-22 is (was) much nicer, but it's so rare that parts or service would be nearly impossible to obtain.

So, the Taurus would likely be it.

It's not about which is my favorite; it's about which one will still cover most of my firearm-uses.

DM~
July 7, 2013, 10:27 PM
It will NEVER happen to me, BUT......i can hunt and survive the rest of my life with my "go to" gun in my hands. I've already done it many times in the Alaskan bush.

It easily breaks down so i can grab everything i need in one reasonably small package,

http://fototime.com/EED0D1139B4F1A4/standard.jpg

And quickly goes together to be used for what ever need that arises,

http://fototime.com/2F1EDE966EE573A/standard.jpg

It just keeps on, keeping on!

DM

ColtPythonElite
July 7, 2013, 10:30 PM
Colt King Cobra

cslinger
July 7, 2013, 10:35 PM
Tough call. Either my "puppy's" Win thutty thutty, my Ruger Vaquero that was the first gun my wife bought me or my Smith 681pc.

Course my SIG 220 stainless would be tough to leave behind.

lpsharp88
July 7, 2013, 10:38 PM
I'd have to go with my AR no matter the situation. I have more ammo than I can load in mags, it's the weapon I'm most proficient with (tied with my CCW piece), and it's probably my most valuable weapon

crazy-mp
July 8, 2013, 12:56 AM
Depends on situation but would either be my M1 Garand or suppressed Walther P22

The M1 was good enough to defend this country for over 20 years I am sure it could do it again if the need ever arose, but the P22 would be good for hunting without disturbing the neighbors.

SharpsDressedMan
July 8, 2013, 01:03 AM
I guess it would appropriate to grab this one. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05517.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/matquig/media/DSC05517.jpg.html)

Ignition Override
July 8, 2013, 01:10 AM
The question seems academic and vague. You can't replace old family paper photographs (the first items to save, after the cats).

If the house were to have an inextinguishable fire (no smoke upstairs), the most expensive gun would be carried out: the M-1 Garand.
But most guns are insured.

pockets
July 8, 2013, 07:38 AM
Is it already time to ask this same nonsensical question once again?
If I could only save one leads me to believe that I have very little time to take care of things that ARE actually important.
Deciding which gun to save, of the dozens I own, is not what would be on my mind in such an event.
I'd be inclined to watch my guns burn, if it meant I could save my wife's great-grandfather's bowl...the one he made while still a slave.

BLB68
July 8, 2013, 09:01 AM
My CZ 452 Special Military Trainer. I just love that gun.

yzguy87
July 8, 2013, 02:13 PM
I would have to side with post #14. "Pick one" choices are too hard for me!

gspn
July 8, 2013, 02:32 PM
It will NEVER happen to me, BUT......i can hunt and survive the rest of my life with my "go to" gun in my hands. I've already done it many times in the Alaskan bush.

It easily breaks down so i can grab everything i need in one reasonably small package,

http://fototime.com/EED0D1139B4F1A4/standard.jpg

DM

what is that? and where can I get one?

El Viejo
July 8, 2013, 02:36 PM
This is not an easy question to answer. It's kind of like: "Your house is on fire. Which family member are you going to rescue?" There are so many variables that it would be real hard to nail down just one firearm. One would be the current political situation. Another would be how easy it to grab one particular firearm. I know these are all hypotheticals, and may not be relevant, so if I had to make the choice, I guess I'd say the 308 my father gave me when I was in HS.

Bobson
July 8, 2013, 02:52 PM
Of your entire collection, you could only grab one to save, what would it be and why?
I have a "gun collection" the way a numismaticist has a handful of 1996 US quarters. If I had to save one, it would be my shotgun, just because it was a gift.

Agsalaska
July 8, 2013, 02:54 PM
My Remington 121 The Fieldmaster in 22lr.

huntsman
July 8, 2013, 04:17 PM
"Your house is on fire. Which family member are you going to rescue?"

they're on their own I got guns and ammo, pipes and tobacco to save ;)

Sheepdog1968
July 8, 2013, 04:23 PM
The question seems to academic and vague. You can't replace old family paper photographs.

If the house were to have an inextinguishable fire (no smoke upstairs), the most expensive gun would be carried out: the M-1 Garand.
But most guns are insured.
A friend of mine who wasnt home nor was his family did have his house burn down. He lost everything. Insurance took care of most things and he bought new guns. The only thing he truly missed was the family photos. Since then I've had all min professionally scanned and digital copies are remotely stored as well.

DM~
July 8, 2013, 07:09 PM
what is that? and where can I get one?

It's a Krieghoff Semper with a Krieghoff insert bbl., you can find them on gun auction sites OR you can even buy a new one from Krieghoff or several other gun makers... New = expensive!

DM

TrickyDick
July 8, 2013, 10:27 PM
The situation is that it's a life or death situation. if you grab anything but 1 gun, you die. so no grab and go bags, no rifle+carry pistol, no dragging a safe. just 1 gun for the rest of your life, no trade, no sell, JUST ONE. (and ammo is plentiful for whatever you choose.)

The question is about which gun who hold most dear. value, parts, ammo, all those things are irrelevant in this question. I'm simply asking, if (and that's a big IF), for some theoretical reason, you could only have 1 gun forever, and it was simply because you could only have 1 gun. In this situation the Cost of ammo is nothing, parts are readily availible, and you can use it whenever wherever. theres no zombies, no govt seizure, just a simple cutback.

Sheepdog1968
July 8, 2013, 11:59 PM
Geeze Trickydick you're making it harder. Hard to imagine not having a lever action and a shotgun. If I am down to one, I suppose I would go with my Mossberg 500. With the 18", 28", and rifled bore barrels I can take care of my immediate needs for fun, hunting, and self defense. I can see where that drilling rifle has a lot going for it.

Tanasie
July 9, 2013, 12:32 AM
...choose just one...that would be a tough decission between my Ithaca 37... 12 Ga. M&P shotgun or my GLOCK Generation 2, G22 .40 cal. But I'll choose my Glock 22.http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/RBuckner/IMG_1522.jpg

Ignition Override
July 9, 2013, 01:21 AM
A guy on tonight's crew recently lost $60,000 in guns!:(

He said that while he was out of town, a roommate and others got really drunk.:cool:
As they were passing out, the grill on the deck touched the house, but when somebody finally noticed it was too late.

None of his personal valuables were insured. The Fire Dept. is across the street. What are the chances of this happening?

Eiji81
July 9, 2013, 04:39 AM
What is the situation? How much time to choose? At one time I could easily make a choice because I only had one and some times two.

I was thinking about this, and thought about if you're house was on fire and you only had seconds to grab one gun, which would it be?

For me, its a toss up between the Colt M4 or Draco AK.

pockets
July 9, 2013, 06:50 AM
Wait a minute....you ask a question in post #1, then change the question in post #48 ?
I think it's time for another 'what .22 works best on bears' thread.

MedWheeler
July 9, 2013, 08:16 AM
^^ Yeah, I noticed that, too. There is a difference between one's "most dear" gun and one's "most practical" one to have for all eternity.

x_wrench
July 9, 2013, 08:23 AM
my Dad's Browning 16 gauge shotgun. its a family heirloom, and the only gun i have that could never be replaced. besides, my Dad had a pretty neat, very true saying. "if you want to hunt something, take a rifle, if you want to KILL something, take the shotgun." i have found thru the years, that the saying is very true. its a lot easier to miss with a rifle than it is with the shotgun. yes, it has range limitations, but when you shoot within those limitations, nothing i have ever shot gets back up.

Archaic
July 9, 2013, 10:03 AM
If I was fleeing a burning house and would be able to buy new guns after I got my insurance check, probably the Remington 700 LSS mountain rifle that finally have dialed in.

If I were going 'over the mountain' never to look back, probably the glenfield model
60 .22 that dad gave me. I've got absolutel confidence in it, and its hard to carry 2k rounds of 30-06 in my day pack.

gspn
July 9, 2013, 10:13 AM
The Fire Dept. is across the street. What are the chances of this happening?

Don't know what the odds are...but it reminds me of another "who would have thunk it" story. I worked on the construction of a new firehouse one time. The old firehouse (which was still operational) was directly across the street.

One night the still under construction firehouse burned down in full view of a working and staffed firehouse across the street. The fire happened at night so there was nobody awake to see it, and they weren't in a heavily populated area. Go figure.

Spade5
July 9, 2013, 01:24 PM
It may not have the capacity and the 38spl may not have superior balistics but I think the size, weight and simple operation make it a keeper in my book.

Besides, even at my age, I figure I could throw it when I ran out of ammo.

DonnyBrook13
July 9, 2013, 02:14 PM
My S&W .357 Highway Patrolman. With wadcutters, a good small game getter. With .357, capable of bringing down deer, black bear, and renowned as a manstopper. Versatility is the main criteria here.

If a long gun, I'd choose my Baikal 20 ga. SXS. Again, versatility -- takes down in about 2 seconds for storing in a pack. You can small game, big game with slugs, and most importantly, you can wingshoot. In a real wilderness survival situation, most of the meat you see is going to be airborne.

jrmiddleton425
July 9, 2013, 05:05 PM
That depends on why I'm taking the one gun I'm allowed. For use as a tool...Glock 23. Enough time to grab only one that I can't replace...M1 Garand.

supergrub
July 10, 2013, 05:58 PM
I would grab my MAB P-15. Holds 15 in clip,one in barrel. 16 total.Made similar to a colt 45. 16 is a good start.

If it`s against the law for mentally ill to have a gun,
Why is it OK for the mentally ill to make laws for us. Just a thought

Ratshooter
July 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
I decided this a long time ago. If I had just one firearm it would be my Marlin 1894 357 mag rifle. As long as I have my reloading kit I can pretty much do anything I want except shoot game in the air.

I have loads for small game and loads that will work for close range Elk. Plus I just really like shooting it. Thats my pick for a life time one gun.

orionengnr
July 10, 2013, 07:39 PM
What, this again???? :banghead:

Deadclown
July 10, 2013, 08:12 PM
I think I'd just grab my Gen 3 Glock 19. It was the Very first firearm I've ever bought

Manny
July 10, 2013, 08:37 PM
Honestly this one has me undecided. In many ways a handgun would be best, but not all. My most carried is my KLCR, but it is somewhat limited in it's capabilities. My 17L would be more versatile at the expense of size, but neither is as versatile as my Browning Cynergy shotgun which is far bigger but has the ability to take down into a reasonably compact size. Plus with it's 3.5" chamber it can shoot virtually any 12ga shell made. And that's not even mentioning my handy little 10/22 TD set up with an Eotech.

If I could take the four above I'd feel well armed for about anything, but if I had to choose one only for life I guess I'd emulate what most pioneers did back when the country was young and take the shotgun. But I'd miss that KLCR something fierce.

If you enjoyed reading about "If you could only keep one" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!