Finally Made the Upgrade: RL550B

PDA

Woolecox
July 8, 2013, 12:11 AM
I have been rolling my own for 30 years now. My Marine roommate got me into it with a single stage press. As my demand for more pistol round production grew for competition shooting, I invested in a Lee Classic Turret press. (has been sold)

Just last week my Dillon RL550B arrived with enough parts to set up for 9mm pistol. 1000 rounds later I am just kicking myself in the butt for not doing this 20 years ago. I have complete quick change kits on order (be here this week) for 40S&W, and 45 ACP. Guess I will go ahead and get dies, etc. for my .223 M4.

All the guys in my IDPA league that spend the most time on the range and win the most matches were all using Dillon's. Now I know why. You can produce more high quality ammo in far less time. The thing just functions flawlessly. It ain't cheap. Everything you see here plus two more calibre kits and dies cost me a total of $830. I guess that is why I waited so long. I also got the instructional video (highly recommended), spare parts kit, tools, extra primer tubes, milled primer tray, etc.

Of course I will still use my single stage to go through all the meticulous processes for rifle loads. But, I now have a Lee Classic Turret press for sale.

Cheers,
Wooly
http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//RL_550_cat_shot_m.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally Made the Upgrade: RL550B" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Osageid
July 8, 2013, 12:19 AM
Congrats! I started on a 650 , so glad I did!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lost Sheep
July 8, 2013, 02:23 AM
Finally Made the Upgrade: RL550B
I have been rolling my own for 30 years now. My Marine roommate got me into it with a single stage press. As my demand for more pistol round production grew for competition shooting, I invested in a Lee Classic Turret press.

Just last week my Dillon RL550B arrived with enough parts to set up for 9mm pistol. 1000 rounds later I am just kicking myself in the butt for not doing this 20 years ago. I have complete quick change kits on order (be here this week) for 40S&W, and 45 ACP. Guess I will go ahead and get dies, etc. for my .223 M4.

All the guys in my IDPA league that spend the most time on the range and win the most matches were all using Dillon's. Now I know why. You can produce more high quality ammo in far less time. The thing just functions flawlessly. It ain't cheap. Everything you see here plus two more calibre kits and dies cost me a total of $830. I guess that is why I waited so long. I also got the instructional video (highly recommended), spare parts kit, tools, extra primer tubes, milled primer tray, etc.

Of course I will still use my single stage to go through all the meticulous processes for rifle loads. But, I now have a Lee Classic Turret press for sale.

Cheers,
Wooly
I feel the same way about my situation. I don't have the need for a Dillon, but my two Pro-1000s did not fit my needs, nor my first press, RCBS single stage. I delayed over 30 years before getting "THE ONE" that fit my needs. A Lee Classic Turret, as it happens. I am SOoooo happy.

My quantity needs are more varied (7 chanberings/calibers and much lower quantities than you need), otherwise I might be hankering for a Dillon, also.

What pieces are you selling to accompany your Lee Classic Turret and what is your asking price? Also, what part of the country are you in (shipping).

Lost Sheep

rajbcpa
July 8, 2013, 08:03 AM
I use my 550b for rifle too. There is no need to use a single stage press for rifle.

HexHead
July 8, 2013, 08:27 AM
I use my 550b for rifle too. There is no need to use a single stage press for rifle.
Yep.

Rodfac
July 8, 2013, 09:17 AM
Here's my setup, two of those great 550B's, so I don't have to change over from one primer size to the other. I'd loaded my own for over 40 yrs on a single stage Herter's press before investing in them. If you ever need it, you'll be well served by Dillon's superb customer service as well. Congratulations on a first rate investment. Rod

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Loading%20Bench%20Pics/9-25-12.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Rodfac/media/Loading%20Bench%20Pics/9-25-12.jpg.html)

Woolecox
July 8, 2013, 09:37 AM
Outstanding reload room!! Getting ready to build some hanging cabs for mine as well.

Woolecox
July 8, 2013, 10:12 AM
Just curious, You use your Dillon progressive kit for making match rifle ammo? I'm talking bench rest disciplines out to 1000 yards and F-Class out to 600, shot from bench rest rifles and precision tactical rifles.

I don't know of anyone who is doing this. Most are using single stage. A lot of guys using Arbor presses and L. E. Wilson dies that can be used on site.

I would surely see no problem using my 550 for .223 ammo that is fed through a carbine for 3 gun comp or home defense. I have these dies and conversion kit on order but, they are about 6 month back ordered.

HexHead
July 8, 2013, 11:53 AM
Here's my setup, two of those great 550B's, so I don't have to change over from one primer size to the other.

I'll be honest, I don't get having two presses just so you don't have to change primer feeds. Takes me about two minutes to remove the tube and swap out the primer bar. You have to periodically take it off anyway to clean the area.

It's a bigger hassle to swap out the powder bar than the primer feed, and that's not such a big deal either.

swiftak
July 8, 2013, 12:00 PM
Why are some people so neat and orderly? My reloading room looks like a grenade went off in there.

rajbcpa
July 8, 2013, 12:12 PM
The only bench rest rifle I shoot is 22LR.... I have several bench rest rifles including a Winchester 52C for 22LR

I do center fire hunting rifle loads and center fire self-defense rifle loads with the 550B. I have not used a single stage press since I bought the Dillon.

If I was doing center fire E-Class bench rest rifle, the biggest issue is likely the precise measurement of the powder charges, and I may use a automated powder measure and possibly a single stage press.

Potatohead
July 8, 2013, 01:15 PM
How much for the LCT ? I'll see if my wife will let me have some of my money.

Potatohead
July 8, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hey Rod- that's a darned nice setup you got there. Looks about perfect from here.

Woolecox
July 8, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'll be honest, I don't get having two presses just so you don't have to change primer feeds. Takes me about two minutes to remove the tube and swap out the primer bar. You have to periodically take it off anyway to clean the area.

It's a bigger hassle to swap out the powder bar than the primer feed, and that's not such a big deal either.
I have not found it much of a problem either. I always have primers left over at the end of a session and just take the tube off and dump them into a labeled storage container. Same with left over powder. I just don't like leaving things that blow up out in the machine. I also like cleaning it all up.

Heck I feel fortunate to just have one machine with all the shortages caused by the pending gun grab. I still have dies and components on order until infinity.

Frankl03
July 8, 2013, 04:58 PM
Within the last year I also made the switch to a Dillon 550B. I was using a lee 4 hole classic. I love the Dillon! I'm currently reloading .40 s&w. I have a bulge buster installed on a single stage press.

Now for cleaning up my reloading bench .....

harvester
July 8, 2013, 05:14 PM
You are going to like it.

chrt396
July 8, 2013, 05:16 PM
Here's my setup, two of those great 550B's, so I don't have to change over from one primer size to the other. I'd loaded my own for over 40 yrs on a single stage Herter's press before investing in them. If you ever need it, you'll be well served by Dillon's superb customer service as well. Congratulations on a first rate investment. Rod

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Loading%20Bench%20Pics/9-25-12.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Rodfac/media/Loading%20Bench%20Pics/9-25-12.jpg.html)
WWAAAYYYY too clean for any work being done!! You must be an engineer!!

Woolecox
July 8, 2013, 07:58 PM
Within the last year I also made the switch to a Dillon 550B. I was using a lee 4 hole classic. I love the Dillon! I'm currently reloading .40 s&w. I have a bulge buster installed on a single stage press.

Now for cleaning up my reloading bench .....
What is a Bulge Buster? Is that the die that corrects Glock fired cases? I have an after market modified Lee sizer die that does that. However, the first 1000 round of 9mm I just finished loading, only 3 did not pass the chamber gage check.

All of this brass was range brass. A lot of it mine and a lot that I scrounged. A lot of it (probably 50%) bore the striker mark of a Glock.

So, I think the Dillon dies are taking care of the majority of "unsupported" Glock brass. I also heard that Glock is no longer making their barrels that way. I have a Gen III Glock 22 (40 cal), a Gen IV Glock 34 (9mm). The G22 has a Barsto barrel and getting ready to put one in the G34. But I have never had a problem running Glock brass through any of my other guns. The Lee mod die I have way overworks the brass.

Shot 50 rounds today from my new 550B. Some target loads with 124 Montana Gold's and some 115 Barnes Tac XP. No failures. Excellent accuracy. Happy :-)

Wooly

gahunter12
July 8, 2013, 11:09 PM
You will love it! I started out on a RL550b nearly 4 yrs ago. It was the single best investment I have made. I load 40s&w, .45acp, .38spl, and .223 on my Dillon. Dillon dies are pricey, but worth the investment. I use Dillon dies for all of my calibers, except .223. Not sure if you got a Strong mount or not, but I highly recommend it. I flip flopped back and forth on the Strong mount til I finally decided to go with it. I didn't buy the bullet tray, but instead built my own out of a Ackro bin mounted to my strong mount.

Woolecox
July 8, 2013, 11:12 PM
You will love it! I started out on a RL550b nearly 4 yrs ago. It was the single best investment I have made. I load 40s&w, .45acp, .38spl, and .223 on my Dillon. Dillon dies are pricey, but worth the investment. I use Dillon dies for all of my calibers, except .223. Not sure if you got a Strong mount or not, but I highly recommend it. I flip flopped back and forth on the Strong mount til I finally decided to go with it. I didn't buy the bullet tray, but instead built my own out of a Ackro bin mounted to my strong mount.
Yes, I did get the strong mount, bullet tray, and empty case bin. Very handy.

VonFatman
July 9, 2013, 09:56 AM
Mr. Hexhead,
You know, everyone has stuff. Some guys like cars, some folks like motorcycles, some spend money in bars and others on travel. They don't "need" to do any of that either.

If you are into a hobby or activity, many of us enjoy stuff. Me, I like reloading. I like my 650 Dillon. A single stage press will work, but heck, I like shooting more than reloading.
Over time I have bought a bunch of cool stuff that compliments my hobby....complete quick changes for every caliber I reload (I don't waste time changing powder bars)...an electronic scale....a case feeder....a complete extra primer assembly (don't like taking time to change out the parts)...lots of extra primer tubes (don't like stoping to fill tubes)...etc...oh, and I have a Dillon 550 just sittin next to my 650 for the day I decide to run out of 223 or 308...then I'll reload on that press.

I hope you will forgive me, I'm actually contemplating the pinnacle of reloading indulgence...a Dillon primer tube filler!

You can choose not to "invest" in extra reloading stuff for your bench and be happy with your logic and choices, but please don't be critical of others who like many of us like convenience and "stuff"....heck, I even have an extra set of box-end wrenches for the garage, but that's me.

Bob

Woolecox
July 9, 2013, 10:16 AM
Mr. Hexhead,
You know, everyone has stuff. Some guys like cars, some folks like motorcycles, some spend money in bars and others on travel. They don't "need" to do any of that either.

If you are into a hobby or activity, many of us enjoy stuff. Me, I like reloading. I like my 650 Dillon. A single stage press will work, but heck, I like shooting more than reloading.
Over time I have bought a bunch of cool stuff that compliments my hobby....complete quick changes for every caliber I reload (I don't waste time changing powder bars)...an electronic scale....a case feeder....a complete extra primer assembly (don't like taking time to change out the parts)...lots of extra primer tubes (don't like stoping to fill tubes)...etc...oh, and I have a Dillon 550 just sittin next to my 650 for the day I decide to run out of 223 or 308...then I'll reload on that press.

I hope you will forgive me, I'm actually contemplating the pinnacle of reloading indulgence...a Dillon primer tube filler!

You can choose not to "invest" in extra reloading stuff for your bench and be happy with your logic and choices, but please don't be critical of others who like many of us like convenience and "stuff"....heck, I even have an extra set of box-end wrenches for the garage, but that's me.

Bob
Heck, I like all those things!!!

horsemen61
July 9, 2013, 10:44 AM
Hey wool thanks for responding to my pm :D

Hondo 60
July 9, 2013, 11:27 AM
Woolecox - I hope you enjoy your 550 as much as I enjoy mine.
I'd hate to add up all the cash I put into it.
Bought the press 2nd hand, but it only came with one caliber conversion kit (45-70 Gov which I had no need for)
10 conversion kits later ...
It gets expensive, but there ain't too many free hobbies.

Rodfac - Now that's a BEAUTIFUL reloading area! Wow.

HexHead
July 9, 2013, 11:34 AM
Mr. Hexhead,

Bob
Trust me, Bob, I enjoy "stuff" as much as the next guy. I can think of lots of reasons to have a second press, I'm currently seriously thinking about adding a single stage one to my set up (though space is an issue), but not wanting to change the primer feed isn't one of them for me.

Hell, I've thought about getting one of those primer tube fillers too, just for the cool factor.

rfwobbly
July 9, 2013, 09:26 PM
Congrats on a great purchase !!

In 4 (or is it 5?) years I've only added one accessory to my 550B and that's one of these plastic powder knobs. I found these on Ebay 2/$5, but there must be other sellers as well. These will save you from the wrench when it's time to tweak the powder. Takes less than 10 seconds to install.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u81k534Lrfo/TSyQb2FRjCI/AAAAAAAACu0/TEmG2UHBFU4/w956-h717-no/IMG_4278.JPG

Adding the plus and minus marks doesn't hurt either.

;)

Woolecox
July 10, 2013, 06:41 PM
Congrats on a great purchase !!

In 4 (or is it 5?) years I've only added one accessory to my 550B and that's one of these plastic powder knobs. I found these on Ebay 2/$5, but there must be other sellers as well. These will save you from the wrench when it's time to tweak the powder. Takes less than 10 seconds to install.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u81k534Lrfo/TSyQb2FRjCI/AAAAAAAACu0/TEmG2UHBFU4/w956-h717-no/IMG_4278.JPG

Adding the plus and minus marks doesn't hurt either.

;)
I did some searching on Google but could not find any of these adjustment knobs. Anyone know where to get them? And Wobbly, what is that spring over your powder bar? Mine did not come with that and I have 3 powder measures. Is that aftermarket?

Thanks,
Wooly

frankmako
July 10, 2013, 10:57 PM
i got my first dillon in 1985. it was a 550. still got it and it runs just a good as day one. pickup a used one several years ago and it runs just as good. but i still use my 1970 single stage texas star press for rifle.

Woolecox
July 10, 2013, 11:09 PM
i got my first dillon in 1985. it was a 550. still got it and it runs just a good as day one. pickup a used one several years ago and it runs just as good. but i still use my 1970 single stage texas star press for rifle.
I hear you man. I used think that my Lee Classic Turret was the greatest thing on earth, and it is a good press. But not even in the same league as the RL550B.

Parked my old RockChucker a few years back for a Forster Co-Ax. Used with their bushing bump dies, I am making the most accurate rifle loads I ever have.

horsemen61
July 11, 2013, 04:29 AM
Just want to saay thanks to wooly cause he sold me his LCT and I cant wait to get it and set it up :D

Woolecox
July 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Just want to saay thanks to wooly cause he sold me his LCT and I cant wait to get it and set it up :D
Let me know when you get it Bro! It is too good of a machine for to not be used.

Wooly

Woolecox
July 11, 2013, 11:33 AM
What is a Bulge Buster? Is that the die that corrects Glock fired cases? I have an after market modified Lee sizer die that does that. However, the first 1000 round of 9mm I just finished loading, only 3 did not pass the chamber gage check.

All of this brass was range brass. A lot of it mine and a lot that I scrounged. A lot of it (probably 50%) bore the striker mark of a Glock.

So, I think the Dillon dies are taking care of the majority of "unsupported" Glock brass. I also heard that Glock is no longer making their barrels that way. I have a Gen III Glock 22 (40 cal), a Gen IV Glock 34 (9mm). The G22 has a Barsto barrel and getting ready to put one in the G34. But I have never had a problem running Glock brass through any of my other guns. The Lee mod die I have way overworks the brass.

Shot 50 rounds today from my new 550B. Some target loads with 124 Montana Gold's and some 115 Barnes Tac XP. No failures. Excellent accuracy. Happy :-)

Wooly
Quoting myself here for an update. I am about 300 rounds into a 1300 round 40S&W session. Out of the first 300, I have found 26 that will not chamber due to the "Glock Bulge". Some are so bad that they look like they have a magnum belt around the bottom!

So, I will pull those and run them through a Redding GRx die once it arrives along with the rest of my 40S&W cases. 26 failed rounds per 300 is just too high of a failure rate. I can't afford to have one or more not chamber during a match or God forbid a defensive situation.

I have heard that Glock 40 barrels have more of a lowered (unsupported chamber) feed ramp than others to ensure reliability for military and law enforcement. I can tell you for sure that I only had 3 out of 1000 rounds of 9mm that did not pass the chamber check. All of it was range brass too.

I have two Glock pistols and both barrels have been replaced with Bar-Sto Precision barrels. They are fully supported and fairly tight. No way they are going to eat this bulged brass. Hopefully, the GRx will do the trick.

Here is a picture of my 40S&W belted magnum loads:

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww142/woolecox/IMG_0446.jpg

gahunter12
July 11, 2013, 03:29 PM
^^^ I wouldn't shoot that round. That's a KB waiting to happen. The edge you see is a major weak spot. I have loaded well over 50,000 rounds of 40s&w over the last 3.5-4yrs with "0" issues. Most of my brass that I pick up comes from the LE range. I will admit that I inspect every single 40s&w case after I tumble.

Sweet Agony
July 11, 2013, 05:35 PM
I hope this question does not drift the thread too far, if so I will start a new one. I like the D-550 but what scares me is the possibility of a double powder charge, I guess that is the single feature that I like the most about the D650 or any progressive press for that matter.

Is it a valid concern?

MRH
July 11, 2013, 06:32 PM
Those knobs for the powder measure are also available at Ace Hardware and Lowes.

Mike

gahunter12
July 11, 2013, 07:13 PM
I hope this question does not drift the thread too far, if so I will start a new one. I like the D-550 but what scares me is the possibility of a double powder charge, I guess that is the single feature that I like the most about the D650 or any progressive press for that matter.

Is it a valid concern?

Yes and No! First off yes it could be easy to double charge a case if you forget to index. With only 4 stations it's hard to use a powder cop without seating, and crimping in one stage. You also need a good LED light over your powder or seating station. As long as you have a good light shining in, and you look in each case after charging, and before indexing you will be fine.

Second.... The reason I said no is explained above. With good reloading practices you will be fine. I like the ability of controlling the entire process, and indexing when I am ready. The nice thing about manual index is if you do have a mistake, or a jam you can easily back up. Always clear the press when doing this to prevent a double charge, or squib.

SuperNaut
July 11, 2013, 09:23 PM
I just got a 550b recently as well, but I haven't had time to set it up yet. I have a question, if I prime off press can I use station 1 to drop the powder instead of station two? Or am I stuck with a dead station one?

gahunter12
July 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
I just got a 550b recently as well, but I haven't had time to set it up yet. I have a question, if I prime off press can I use station 1 to drop the powder instead of station two? Or am I stuck with a dead station one?

No. Even if you do your priming by hand, you will still need to resize, and deprime in station #1. Besides the press is built to use Station #2 for charging. The fails safe bracket that hold the powder fail safe rod in place is on the front left side (St #2).

SuperNaut
July 11, 2013, 10:29 PM
No. Even if you do your priming by hand, you will still need to resize, and deprime in station #1. Besides the press is built to use Station #2 for charging. The fails safe bracket that hold the powder fail safe rod in place is on the front left side (St #2).
Thanks for the reply. I have a bajillion .45 shells that I've already primed, I was hoping to be able to dive right in to the 550B, but I guess it will have to wait a while longer.

stompah
July 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
Can't you remove the decapping pin or the resize die all together?

I don't have a 550 so if the press can't function unless there is a die in the first station please don't shoot me.

bobinoregon
July 11, 2013, 11:00 PM
Did you prime before sizing?

SuperNaut
July 11, 2013, 11:19 PM
Did you prime before sizing?
No, I decap/size on my RC and then hand-prime.

mahansm
July 12, 2013, 07:40 AM
You can easily bypass station 1 on the 550 with your already sized and primed brass.

The cycle when loading would be:

Set bullet at station three
Cycle handle
Place primed brass in station 1
Index shellplate

and repeat. This skips the resize/decap/prime operations at station one; the fresh
case proceeds directly to the belling and powder drop at station two.

If desired, you can remove the size/decap die from station one. As a matter of fact, you can also remove the priming mechanism completely and the press will still
function normally on the remaining three stations.

I picked up batches of once fired military 5.56 and 7.62 brass; I did the resize/decap operations in stage one and then swaged the primer pockets, trimmed, and chamfer/deburred. Now I've got prepped brass for which the next step will be priming.
Again, easy with the RL550.

gahunter12
July 12, 2013, 09:23 AM
I would go ahead and setup your 550, and just leave the sizing die out until you have loaded all of your sized/primed brass. Then you can still load the shellplate in station 1, but you would not be resizing, or priming.
ST1 - Empty
ST2 - Powder Charge
ST3 - Seat bullet
ST4 - Crimp

SuperNaut
July 12, 2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the detailed replies gentlemen!

Woolecox
July 12, 2013, 11:42 AM
Can't you remove the decapping pin or the resize die all together?

I don't have a 550 so if the press can't function unless there is a die in the first station please don't shoot me.
I have 500 rounds of 45ACP (Remington) brass that I bought new that is already primed. I bought it during the shortage and was the first brass that became available.

I plan on removing the de-cap rod from station 1 and the primer feed mech. This, I believe will produce a more uniform sized cases for my 1911's. If the brass is factory primed, I would have to believe that it has been sized too. So the die could be left off station one altogether (as others have stated above). You can still feed through station one as always and it would only cost you one additional stroke per session, the first one.

Hopefully the new brass won't be too sticky in the dies. But if it is, I will just wipe a little lube on the outside.

Woolecox
July 12, 2013, 11:50 AM
^^^ I wouldn't shoot that round. That's a KB waiting to happen. The edge you see is a major weak spot. I have loaded well over 50,000 rounds of 40s&w over the last 3.5-4yrs with "0" issues. Most of my brass that I pick up comes from the LE range. I will admit that I inspect every single 40s&w case after I tumble.
Hunter,

What is your process for reloading 40S&W from step one? How do you detect bulged cases after tumbling? I run all my completed rounds through a case gage. That is how I caught the bulged cases.

Woolecox
July 12, 2013, 07:07 PM
I have 500 rounds of 45ACP (Remington) brass that I bought new that is already primed. I bought it during the shortage and was the first brass that became available.

I plan on removing the de-cap rod from station 1 and the primer feed mech. This, I believe will produce a more uniform sized cases for my 1911's. If the brass is factory primed, I would have to believe that it has been sized too. So the die could be left off station one altogether (as others have stated above). You can still feed through station one as always and it would only cost you one additional stroke per session, the first one.

Hopefully the new brass won't be too sticky in the dies. But if it is, I will just wipe a little lube on the outside.
Quoting myself here again for a correction:

I set my 550 up as I mentioned above to load the 500 cases of Remington factory primed 45 ACP brass. I quickly learned that the press will not index with the primer mechanism removed. The ram/shell plate drops down too low with it off and the index star contacts the ejection chute.

No big deal. I just set it up for large primers and went to work with the de-capping pin removed from station 1 and no primers in the tube. I have loaded about 350 out of 500 so far. No issues.

Wouldn't you know it, about the time I had everything converted from 40S&W to 45ACP, the UPS man shows up with my 40 cal Redding GRx bulge buster!

But, this is how I am handling large quantities of pre-primed brass. I guess one little benny from this Remington pre-primed brass is that the primers are sealed.

Cheers,
Wooly
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww142/woolecox/Ammo/IMG_0449.jpg

Woolecox
July 18, 2013, 09:58 PM
For anyone who cares and is comtemplating a Dillon RL550B, I shot 100 of my reloads today at the range. 50 each of 9mm and 45 ACP. Everything shot well and grouped well. I shot from 7 to 25 yards, standing, off hand.

Everything went bang. Everything ejected. I had one failure to feed on a 45 in my STI Gaurdian. That was a Ranier 230 plated round nose. I had those loaded a little on the long side and that mag is a little tight. No other issues.

The Dillon setup makes ammo as accurate and dependable as any I have ever shot. I had the same experience last week with 100 rounds of 9mm shot from 3 different pistols. I wont have any reservations about stepping onto the range on Wednesday's IDPA shoot with this ammo.

Good stuff.

bds
July 18, 2013, 10:26 PM
What is your process for reloading 40S&W from step one? How do you detect bulged cases after tumbling? I run all my completed rounds through a case gage. That is how I caught the bulged cases.

If you want to ensure you are working with "within" spec resized cases:

- Tumble cases to clean
- Deprime/Resize case
- Barrel drop test deprimed/resized case in the tightest chamber barrel (toss/recycle cases that do not freely drop in the chamber with a "plonk")
- Reload as usual

Woolecox
July 18, 2013, 11:30 PM
If you want to ensure you are working with "within" spec resized cases:

- Tumble cases to clean
- Deprime/Resize case
- Barrel drop test deprimed/resized case in the tightest chamber barrel (toss/recycle cases that do not freely drop in the chamber with a "plonk")
- Reload as usual
I see, Thanks!

Wooly

VonFatman
July 19, 2013, 12:10 AM
I hear ya Mr. HexHead. It's all about the individual. Have a good weekend and I hope it's cooler in TN that its forecast to be here in KC.

Bob

gahunter12
July 19, 2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahunter12
Hunter,

I inspect each, and every case for Glock Smiles, cracks, etc after cleaning. I will check them in my tightest chamber availible. That said.... I do not use LW, or other under sized barrels. For my reloadings in my Glocks, and XDm's I have no trouble with removing the bulge using Dillon Dies.

Woolecox
July 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
Quoting myself here for an update. I am about 300 rounds into a 1300 round 40S&W session. Out of the first 300, I have found 26 that will not chamber due to the "Glock Bulge". Some are so bad that they look like they have a magnum belt around the bottom!

So, I will pull those and run them through a Redding GRx die once it arrives along with the rest of my 40S&W cases. 26 failed rounds per 300 is just too high of a failure rate. I can't afford to have one or more not chamber during a match or God forbid a defensive situation.

I have heard that Glock 40 barrels have more of a lowered (unsupported chamber) feed ramp than others to ensure reliability for military and law enforcement. I can tell you for sure that I only had 3 out of 1000 rounds of 9mm that did not pass the chamber check. All of it was range brass too.

I have two Glock pistols and both barrels have been replaced with Bar-Sto Precision barrels. They are fully supported and fairly tight. No way they are going to eat this bulged brass. Hopefully, the GRx will do the trick.

Here is a picture of my 40S&W belted magnum loads:
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww142/woolecox/Ammo/7df55b1b-639f-4542-b9d3-5d16439bf8b2.jpg

My Redding GRx die arrived and I got to work running some range brass through it. I bought the carbide die but I quickly learned that this operation was going to require the cases be lubed. Not a huge deal. With a tin of Imperial Sizing Lube right next to the press, I just kept the fingers on my left hand slightly wet with lube as I put the cases on the plunger.

Some of the cases almost fell through the die, some took quite a bit of effort, others I could not get through it even using two hands and standing on my Big Boss II. I literally had to take a big brass punch and tap the brass out the bottom of the die. Those are pictured below. All these cases were head stamped Winchester. Which proves nothing other than maybe I swept up after a guy with a box of Winchester and a Gen 1 barrel.

So after going through the GRx and all four stations of my RL550B, there were still 4 cases out of 200 that would not chamber in the L.E. Wilson case gage. They would however, drop into my Bar-Sto barrel. Obviously the gage is a little tighter than the barrel. On another note, all of it including the belted magnums would fit into my Glock factory barrel (Gen 3).

I threw the belted magnums in the trash anyway. Now I know why there are a lot of folks that don't really care to reload this round. Yes, I know there a some of you out there that have loaded and shot 40 billion rounds of 40S&W through your factory Glocks with zero issues. Loading on a progressive for a match chamber is a whole other story.

Cheers,
Wooly
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww142/woolecox/Ammo/IMG_0458.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally Made the Upgrade: RL550B" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!