Nightmares of Gun Jamming Up.

PDA

Thethickster
July 9, 2013, 07:44 PM
Lately I have these dreams about my GEN III Glock 17 jamming up during a gun fight when my aggressor is face to with me, In most of my dreams I am face to face and my Glock only gets off one shot then the slide stays jammed back.

Heres the thing I was in vehicle accident and rolled over my car on a dirt road, I got out only with one scratch thanks to my seat belt. My Glock landed in the sandy dirt, about a day after I fired the pistol and it would jam after shooting one round.

I completely stripped her down (Glock) cleaned it up and it started working flawlessly again all 17 rounds shot no jams. My Firestar .45 does the same thing but i suspect a bad clip, since the gun is from the early 90s.

The Glock is shooting flawlessly but I keep having these horrible dreams. What does mean? anyone help I just want to know what this means.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nightmares of Gun Jamming Up." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
allaroundhunter
July 9, 2013, 07:49 PM
Well, I'm not a psychologist, and if anyone here is they would probably charge a fee for their response.

BSA1
July 9, 2013, 08:06 PM
Part of the issue is your lack of confidence in a semi-automatic handgun functioning in a crisis.

My first question is how much experience do you have with handguns, especially semi-autos?

My second question is have many rounds have you shot through this gun?

My third question is how many range sessions have you had with this gun and under what conditions? (Shooting 300 rounds in one visit is not the same thing).

The only real solution is to shoot this gun a lot until you regain confidence in it. For maximum reliability shoot only ball ammo until you are convinced of it's reliability then repeat the process again with hollowpoints. Inexpensive? Not unless you reload.

In the meantime switch to carrying a revolver.

rdhood
July 9, 2013, 08:09 PM
The Glock is shooting flawlessly but I keep having these horrible dreams. What does mean? anyone help I just want to know what this means.

Wah. Put 300 rounds through the gun (successfully so that you can trust it), and get over it.

sonick808
July 9, 2013, 08:11 PM
my gun always cycles very slowly and unsuccesfully in my dreams, it's strange

351 WINCHESTER
July 9, 2013, 08:12 PM
I'm no expert on dreams, but if they persist I would seek professional help.

Thethickster
July 9, 2013, 08:18 PM
@ BSA I have put about 250 rounds after the accident on the Glock about 100 before the accident. I keep hearing that these guns will fire in all types of situations mud,sand,snow. That I couldnt believe a little sand would cause it to jam up on the first shot. These dreams keep coming back.

oh ive been shooting pistols for about 15years first being the Firestar .45. My dad is Ex-Army Infantry he taught me quite a bit about using weapons and maintaining them.

BSA1
July 9, 2013, 08:31 PM
My personal standard before carrying a semi-auto is 500 trouble free round excluding clear operator error or bad ammo. If I can't identify the cause I start the test all over.

I also often deliberately don't clean my guns to see how dirty they have to get before they start giving me problems. I also shoot them weak hand, limp wristed, sideways. This enhances my confidence in a clean gun under worst real world conditions.

Demanding? Time-consuming testing? Expensive? Depends on much value you put on your life.

As for semi-automatics especially Glocks this is over played gun writer and Internet hype. Guns are a precision made machine and semi-auto are complex depending not only how they are manufactured but sensitivity to ammunition used.

While Revolvers are precision made they are more forgiving when it comes to ammunition.

Thethickster
July 9, 2013, 08:42 PM
@BSA1

Ive been looking at a S&W Airweight for a revolver for quite some time. You think this be a good choice in .357mag?

allaroundhunter
July 9, 2013, 08:44 PM
@BSA1

Ive been looking at a S&W Airweight for a revolver for quite some time. You think this be a good choice in .357mag?

They have quite the stout recoil. If I had one I probably would not carry .357 mag loads in it

Thethickster
July 9, 2013, 08:47 PM
Im not worried about recoil but IIRC a .38 special work would also be compatible.

Chuck53
July 9, 2013, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure it means a dang thing except you're not sure why your gun would function that way with what should be considered a minor problem for a glock; and as many have stated before you might be having a lack of confidence in it. Shoot it till you feel better or sell it. However, if it makes you feel any better then I will tell you that on the rare occasion I have a dream about using a firearm in self defense, no matter how hard I squeeze the trigger most of the time the gun won't fire, and if it does once I don't ever hit the target and it won't fire again...and I have complete confidence in my firearms. :confused:

the iron horse
July 9, 2013, 08:52 PM
The one reason I prefer a revolver for self defense.

Nothing to think about or do, but pull it out and fire.

It will work everytime .

allaroundhunter
July 9, 2013, 09:01 PM
The one reason I prefer a revolver for self defense.

Nothing to think about or do, but pull it out and fire.

It will work everytime .

Sand can easily jam up a revolver as well. I guess people don't understand or don't want to believe it.

Texan Scott
July 9, 2013, 09:04 PM
Purely unprofessional opinion, worth what you're paying for it:

You dream suggests fear of bodily harm, helplessness, and physical confinement. Possibly your subconscious is seeking a point of failure to blame, and the glock jamming stands out in your conscious memory as a demonstrated failure.

Examine instead the possible sources of anxiety/ trauma. Talk your way through your feelings about the car accident itself as perhaps the real cause for nightmares involving entanglement, loss of control, and sudden fear of bodily harm.

Al Thompson
July 9, 2013, 09:15 PM
Lately I have these dreams about my GEN III Glock 17 jamming up during a gun fight when my aggressor is face to with me, In most of my dreams I am face to face and my Glock only gets off one shot then the slide stays jammed back.

IANAD, but those sorts of dreams are pretty common amongst those of us who carry guns for a living or for SD.

Mine was that the gun worked, but the bullets didn't or the knife broke, etc., etc. :eek:

Seemed to have drifted away as I reached my 30's, if that helps....

Al Thompson
July 9, 2013, 09:19 PM
As to your G17 not working, a detail strip and clean followed by a bunch of ammo down range, usually clears that up. Check your striker channel. ;)

As to the revolver folks, I've had three go down over the years and the bad thing is, they go down hard. As in, turn it into a hammer, it ain't going to shoot again till the gunsmith fixes it. :rolleyes:

ExTank
July 9, 2013, 09:40 PM
I had some cartridge cases separate on my .357 revolver twice in '94; both were from the same batch of ammo, and after the second failure I pitched 'em. Basically, the broken cartridge chunk would lodge between the cyclinder and forcing cone, and jammed her up good each time, bad enough to require a gunsmith to unjam.

And it triggered a similar "broken-gun-in-hand-bad-guy-approaching" dream a few times.

The cure: for me, it was buy some decent ammo and shoot the ever-loving-daylights out of it.

jbj
July 9, 2013, 09:40 PM
The dreams usually indicate something else you are worried about in your life (you might or might not be aware of the source yet). And being defenseless in a dream is very common.

That said, if the gun bothers you to the point of distraction, sell it and get a different one, because the last thing you need in a gunfight is doubt and hesitation.

Years ago one of my instructors had a gun jam DURING a gunfight (a custom 1911 from a well known maker). Very unpleasant. Luckily his companion was able to take up the slack. He wouldn't trust the gun again for carry, even after the maker went over the gun and retuned it just to make sure. Wouldn't sell it either, for fear of it choking for someone else. Carries a Glock 22 around last I saw him.

Tomcat47
July 9, 2013, 10:00 PM
I agree with a lot of post above ... Texan Scott and Chuck 53 stand out....

And this one sonick808 my gun always cycles very slowly and unsuccessfully in my dreams, it's strange....:uhoh:

It is just a dream in my opinion, that's what we humans do!

Here is another thing to try also to build confidence... Go to range and make it jam!!! Practice clearing it and getting it running again.. About half way down magazine put an empty casing in.... this can be a good lesson in the auto world and clearing it may not be the same each time!

But you will get good at clearing the problem almost subconsciously. And let someone else load your mags so you do not know when it will happen.

Here is a small write up on the methods.. not perfect maybe But I like them a lot!

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/taprack.htm

And stop watching late nite TV .... That sets you up for bad dreams before you get to the pillow! :D

BSA1
July 9, 2013, 10:12 PM
As stated in Post #10 357 magnums in lightweight J-frame is not only brutal but more than most shooters can handle.

There are very good self-defense 38 Special ammunition on the market. Again gun writers and Internet hype does not give the .38 the respect it deserves.

Deltaboy
July 9, 2013, 10:35 PM

Heres the thing I was in vehicle accident and rolled over my car on a dirt road, I got out only with one scratch thanks to my seat belt. My Glock landed in the sandy dirt, about a day after I fired the pistol and it would jam after shooting one round.

I completely stripped her down (Glock) cleaned it up and it started working flawlessly again all 17 rounds shot no jams. My Firestar .45 does the same thing but i suspect a bad clip, since the gun is from the early 90s.

Get a Ruger Security Six and you nightmares will go away.

tyeo098
July 9, 2013, 10:35 PM
Try switching to a real gun? :P

Something like a CZ!

rcmodel
July 9, 2013, 10:40 PM
FWIW:
There are a whole lot of otherwise very reliable guns that won't work when full of sand.

Sand is harder then woodpecker lips, and if one grain of it gets wedged in a tight fitting joint?

Things come to a stop until it is cleaned out of the action.

And that includes Glocks, Revolvers, 1911's, CZ's, M-16's, and M1 Garand's.

The OP's mistake was not cleaning the gun of all sand & dirt before taking it shooting again.
Now he is suffering the consequences.

It could also be he is suffering PTSD, or guilt from the unexplained roll-over accident!

Cars don't normally just roll over on dirt roads unless there were extenuating circumstances contributing to the roll-over..

rc

Impureclient
July 9, 2013, 10:55 PM
This isn't a firearm related dream really. This is just something in a dream not working as we would expect and not being able to take control of it subconsciously.
Gun won't shoot, running in slow motion, can't jump or can't seem to dial 9-1-1 on phone.....these are common dreams. I think I have the can't dial 9-1-1 one at least
once a month, so frustrating. I clearly am pressing the right numbers and it keeps misdialing.

Being able to control dreams is great though. Who doesn't like the ones where you can jump really far like almost flying? One day I hope to just be able get that one 9-1-1 call in.
tyeo098 may be onto something though, CZ does make great guns.

T2K
July 9, 2013, 11:07 PM
It's a normal anxiety dream - like when you were a student and you dreamed that it's the final exam but you forgot to study, or things of that nature.

They're pretty normal. When I get in stressful situations with my job, I have dreams where proposals are due to clients and I've done nothing, stuff like that.

As someone said above, dreams just reflect the things you're thinking about and, particularly, worrying about in your life.

col.lemat
July 9, 2013, 11:09 PM
Get another gun and carry two.

Sam Cade
July 9, 2013, 11:09 PM
Mine was that the gun worked, but the bullets didn't or the knife broke, etc., etc. :eek:

I have the knife breaking dream (PING!!):what:

My gun dream is that I don't have enough physical strength to pull the trigger.

buckeye8
July 9, 2013, 11:47 PM
A poster on another board asked a very similar question a few months ago, and copy/pasted below is my response. (Very slightly edited and highlighted in bold in some relevant spots)

I am not a psychologist, but I do teach Psychology, and I know a little bit about dreaming and subconscious states. This type of dream is very common, and comes in two parts.

The first part is the "menace". The menace of the dream varies from person to person, but it always behaves the same way: It simply presents itself and attacks. The menace is usually silent (doesn't speak), because it doesn't have any actual motivation other than to 'get you'. For some people it is a dog biting them, for some it is a faceless criminal attacking, for some it is their evil stepfather. Whatever the 'menace' is, it represents very basic fear and anxiety. How the menace is manifested is relatively unimportant, because it almost always represents a feeling of fear or anxiety stemming from some uncertainty in the dreamer's waking life. This may be related to guns or personal security (as the OP alluded to) but it could just as easily stem from some other source of anxiety (work, relationships, money, etc.).

The second part of the dream is the "paralysis". The paralysis is the inability to respond effectively to the menace. Some people will dream that they need to throw a punch, but their arm won't function properly. Some people will dream that they get in their car to escape, but the car won't start. Gun owners, particularly new ones, would logically dream about a gun that won't funcion properly. As with the 'menace', the 'paralysis' almost always means one thing. The paralysis symbolizes a loss of, or lack of, control. When we feel as if we are unable to control something in our waking life, and the malfunctioning (paralyzed) tool or body part in our dreams represents our fear that we are (or will be) unable to control whatever is causing anxiety in our waking life.

Just to be evil, the subconscious will usually represent the loss of control through a malfunction of whatever our source of physical power is in real life. Paralyzed arms or legs, non-functioning guns, and (fairly commonly) the loss of one's teeth are all examples of this sort of 'malfunction dreaming'. Whatever makes you feel powerful in your waking life is what your subconscious will destroy in your dreams. It is only natural that a person who sees guns as a source of power and control will experience the malfunctioning of guns during anxiety/paralysis dreams. (I told you your subconscious was evil).

OP, I would imagine that you were pretty spot-on with your observation that this sort of dream is common among gun owners, especially new gun owners. Buying a gun means that one has accepted a broad personal responsibility with many variables which might be out of one's control. Break-ins are sudden and unpredictable, and psychologically, the purchasing of a firearm has fostered a hightened sense of responsibility for the outcome of a break-in. Yet, the fact remains that simply owning a firearm does not guarantee successful outcomes. The brain (naturally) has a difficult time contending with the cognitive dissonance that results from those competing ideas, and menace/paralysis dreams are a fairly cut-and-dry representation of the way the subconscious would contend with that sort of problem.

The best thing to do if one is suffering from these sort of dreams is to stop putting off fixing whatever the source of anxiety is. Our dreams are mostly manifestations of thoughts that we repress (or insufficiently address) in our waking lives. Participation in society often requires us to have the ability to push back uncomfortable thoughts and feelings while we are awake, but when we go to sleep, our subconscious has free reign to bring out whatever issues we've put on the backburner and throw them right in our face. If we want the dream to stop, we need to identify what troubles us and deal with it safely and constructively. Resolve the repressed thoughts, the dreams will stop.

ColtPythonElite
July 10, 2013, 12:38 AM
I had a similar nightmare. In it, all of my guns were Glocks.....Terrifying!

lhartman89
July 10, 2013, 01:20 AM
I had a similar dream where I was in my room and heard some noises and when I opened my door I saw two people with their backs to the wall like they were getting ready to enter my brothers room and the bathroom with guns in hand. When I came around the corner I had a gun (and not one of the ones I actually have) and as soon as I saw them I shot and only got one shot off and they took off towards the stairs and then I woke up. I can't remember if it failed after the first shot or what exactly, but it was pretty nerve racking waking up to that.

I don't really know what it meant either. Probably because I have been thinking about guns and someone breaking into my home so much. All I know is I ended up staying up for a few hours before I went back to sleep. I agree with everyone else that says it is just you subconscious trying to tell you what you don't want to hear. Like other's have said, I would take the gun out often and shoot 50-100 rounds through it at a time and see how it does. I clean my guns every time I get done shooting them. I haven't got to shoot much this year, maybe once. The thing that sucks for me is I bought 3 new guns and haven't shot any of them and I am relying on them to defend me and my family if need be. I really need to get out and test them to see how they preform so I know what will happen if anything like that every happens. Anyway's, I hope you find what you are looking for and start feeling safer.

il_10
July 10, 2013, 02:14 AM
Those types of dreams are pretty common. I've been around guns all my life, but when I first made the decision to start carrying constantly for defense I had a few in which the gun wouldn't go off or didn't do any damage for whatever reason.
Usually, though, it's that I'm throwing a punch at the nameless, faceless aggressor person and though my punches are landing, they're not doing anything at all, i.e., there's no force at all behind them. From what I understand it's just subconscious anxiety over something or other. I had plenty back in college where I slept through class and had missed so many I was going to fail automatically. Dreams are fun stuff.

buckeye8's description was much better, and a very interesting and informative read. Thanks for that!

chitoryu12
July 10, 2013, 04:42 AM
I think the fact that so many people are taking a highly metaphorical dream and interpreting it literally ("Buy a new gun if you don't trust your Glock!") is an interesting discussion on THEIR psychology.

rhinoh
July 10, 2013, 05:11 AM
OP- In the dream are you also naked and in front of a large crowd?
Concentrate on holding a Taurus Judge that is 100% reliable....but then of course you'll awake screaming to find it was loaded with shotshell blanks..:evil:

Deanimator
July 10, 2013, 05:35 AM
I've been having gun failure dreams since I was in grade school.

In the first one I ever had, the Colt Police Positive I was shooting at somebody literally fell apart in pieces in my hand. It didn't explode. It just fell apart.

I had one last night.

I've been shooting since 1976 and have complete confidence in the revolvers and semi-autos I carry.

Sometimes a dream is just a dream.

Carl N. Brown
July 10, 2013, 06:47 AM
^That reminds me:
I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep - while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?
--Edgar Allan Poe

Dreams or nightmares are often about death, loss, powerlessness in the face of inevitable doom, a trusted axis losing its center, etc.

As a friend of mine told me, if you know someone too darned cheerful, loan them a copy of Harlan Ellison's "Deathbird Stories".

Blackstone
July 10, 2013, 03:32 PM
Best ideas I've seen here are to simply keep shooting it to show yourself that it's reliable. And to practice clearing jams so that you know what to do if it happens during the unthinkable.

Mitlov
July 10, 2013, 03:37 PM
I've had dreams where I was running in slow motion and couldn't get away from a pack of dogs that was coming after me. It wasn't a sign that there was anything wrong with my legs in real life.

As others have said, I think the problem here is a general anxiety issue, not a gun-specific issue. It may be worth doing something before bed to de-stress. Writing in a journal, praying, yoga, chamomile tea...whatever works for you.

fanchisimo
July 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
There was a spell in my life where I was constantly have weird dreams so I bought a book about dreams and dream symbolism. It fully supports what Buckeye8 said. In your case, it's not really that you fear the glock malfunctioning, it's just a symbol for other things in your life, unresolved issues.

Blackcat602
July 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
If I may suggest, picking a day to go to the range, the night before, load your magazines, but slip some snap-caps in randomly. The snap caps will simulate a failure, run through tap/rack drill, and reengage. It may not help with particular gun confidence or deeper emotional issues, but it can help you reaffirm that you can handle such a crisis. I believe that a firearm is a VERY USEFUL tool, and YOU are the weapon. What ever path you choose, good luck.

eleutheros
July 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
About a week ago, I dreamt that my AK would not fire. When the hammer dropped and the gun did not fire (I was certain there was a round in the chamber) I was shocked. Then I realized I had no clue where I was or what I was doing. Then I woke up and laughed. I have total confidence in my AK and I think my dream was just nonsense.

Your dream doesn't mean anything until you give it meaning. If it was a result from or a reason for your reliability concerns with your weapon, or some feeling of powerlessness, you should simply address that issue and sleep easy. Go fire 500 rounds with no malfunction or find something that you know will. That would be cheaper and more fun than hiring a shrink.

Potatohead
July 10, 2013, 06:01 PM
Don't know, but in my dreams, i can always see the round fire, and I can see the whole path of the bullet until it eventually falls to the ground, and i see it fall to the ground, see the whole thing. Its pretty cool

Potatohead
July 10, 2013, 06:03 PM
delete

Tamren
July 10, 2013, 06:19 PM
In my dreams it's usually bad ammo. I'll dump an entire mag into the bad guy, but the ammo doesn't have enough gunpowder and he just wades straight through my fire. Personally, I just blamed playing too many video games where it takes multiple mags to kill some of the virtual bad guys :D :rolleyes: :D

holdencm9
July 10, 2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah i used to have those dreams occasionally. It wasn't usually malfunctions though, it was an incredibly stiff trigger, like think 100 lbs of force required to shoot, and then when it did fire, the bullets were totally ineffective. Ever since I upgraded my everyday carry to a .50AE Desert Eagle with aftermarket hair trigger, I haven't had these dreams anymore. (Just kidding of course.)

buckeye8, spot on and thanks for the great post!

I haven't been logging in as much lately but when I do I am always treated to such excellent posts.

mgmorden
July 10, 2013, 11:21 PM
A dream is just a dream. I wouldn't read too much into it. My guns regularly won't fire in dreams anyways. Generally the trigger won't ever pull or I'm searching around for ammo and either can't find any or keep finding ammo that won't fit the gun I have. Its just because my mind is confused while I'm dreaming.

"Interpreting dreams" is mostly a Freudian thing and most of his ideas have been rejected by modern psychology.

morcey2
July 11, 2013, 12:06 AM
And I thought my dreams of falling off a cliff while in my underwear at high school were weird. :)

I've never had one about gun malfunctions in a self defense situation, but I've had many of them where I'll either get in a fight or be running away from someone. When I'm fighting, without fail my punches are really, really slow. When I'm running, I can't run, which isn't that different from real life. But in the dreams, I really, really can't run. My legs are moving, but I'm only moving about as fast as very fast snail. It's disconcerting.

The worst dreams are the ones where I dream an entire week of work. When I wake up the next day my week is completely thrown off. I won't know what day it is for the rest of the week until Sunday. Church resets it for me. It's really weird.

I agree with the others in that you need to put some serious range rounds in with it to convince yourself of the gun's function. Just be careful. Glocks are known to explode. At least that's what I read on the internet. :evil:

Matt

JAB
July 11, 2013, 02:00 AM
I think that is common in dreams. For me if in a fight I cant hit hard, if in a car it has very little power when flooring it, etc... However I can fly and it feels so real its like I know how it feels when I wake up. Dreams are weird. Shoot the gun until confident and forget about it.

xxjumbojimboxx
July 11, 2013, 02:25 AM
? Why? Unless youre referring to a gunsmith... and even then... why?

...forgot to quote post... in regards to number 6

45_auto
July 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
You rolled a car and you're dreaming about your gun jamming in a gunfight?

You need a little better perspective on the relative risk of the dangers in your life.

The dream of your gun not working was your subconscious trying to tell you that whether the gun works or not is really irrelevant compared to the other thing (rolled car) that just happened! You need to worry about why you were in a car that rolled (bad driver, mechanical failure, stupid friends, etc) and not about whether your gun works or not.

rdhood
July 11, 2013, 10:30 AM
I think the fact that so many people are taking a highly metaphorical dream and interpreting it literally ("Buy a new gun if you don't trust your Glock!") is an interesting discussion on THEIR psychology.

If a person's trust in a firearm is fundamentally shaken and can't be restored (whether the reason for the distrust is logical or not), changing guns is a reasonable option. <=== and this says NOTHING about MY psychology.

How a person interprets something, whether logical or not, is highly personal. It makes no difference that a fear or phobia is illogical. The OP could spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a psychologist, and never solve anything. Or he could sell is glock and buy something else A LOT CHEAPER than several psycholist's visits. Of course, I have to wonder what happens after his NEXT dream, but that is another story. The only thing that says about MY psychology is that I am practical and frugal.

gym
July 11, 2013, 10:42 AM
Dreams are just that, they are not predictors of future occurrences. Either you trust your gun or get a new one. If it bothers you that much, pick up a 9mm revolver or a 357,or 45 revolver. You can also buy 7 and 8 shot revolvers now, from several manufacturers.

Coyote3855
July 11, 2013, 12:46 PM
I had similar dreams as a kid until I had my first sexual encounter. None since.

EvilGenius
July 11, 2013, 01:39 PM
I had a similar dream a few months back.

For whatever reason I was on some sort of playground/open field next to a small airfield by myself on a cloudy day near sundown.

I was doing or working on something and heard a noise. I looked up and saw an middle aged Asian man walking towards me mumbling something in whatever language he spoke. He had a pistol in his hand and it was pointed vaguely at me. I responded by drawing my RIA 1911 and warned him to stop, rather than shooting as he looked confused and didn't seem like he was angry. However he kept approaching still with it pointed at me and as he got closer I finally decided it was too close and started shooting. Both of us screaming at eachother once it started, but he didn't try to flinch or run away. My 1911 would jam after every round, but I managed to actuate it and keep shooting until I emptied the mag where it basically blew apart on the last round. It took the whole mag to stop him, but he did fall to the ground dead. Fast forward to a couple of days later. I somehow find out that he was not from here, didn't speak english and didn't know anything about guns or how to handle them properly and decided to bring it to me to make sure no one (like a child) would find it and get hurt.

I felt terrible.

I have no idea what triggered it or what that meant. I have never had a malfunction with my RIA nor have I had any run ins on a playground or with Asian folk.

Eyesac
July 11, 2013, 02:34 PM
but those sorts of dreams are pretty common amongst those of us who carry guns for a living or for SD

I had them on and off for the first 6mo or so after I started carrying. Bullets would come out really slow and hit the bad guy and fall on the ground. It'll fade eventually....

stonecutter2
July 11, 2013, 02:55 PM

Man, the human mind is a funny thing. It holds onto things while trying to process them and sometimes doesn't like to let stuff go.

My advice is to put hundreds of trouble free rounds through your pistol and try NOT to think about the gun jamming. Focus on how well it functions.

Quiet your mind about this particular thing. Try not to stress about the dreams, or it will continue to feedback into your dreams. Break your mind's cycle.

I had a similar thing when I was young. I kept having a dream about someone trying to kidnap me, and when i punched them my punch was like nothing as it contacted them. Like my arm stopped working and my punch had no force. To this day, I can still "feel" that feeling. I had that dream so many times for a while, but it was when i accepted that the concern over the dream and the potential incident was irrational that the dreams finally stopped.

I also recently started studying martial arts, which reaffirmed that I can indeed hit things pretty well :)

Bottom line: it doesn't mean much. Just your mind holding onto scrap data. Help to push it into the recycle bin of your thoughts.

KingTiger
July 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
I've had similar dreams where I'm in a fire fight & my TEC-9 keeps jamming.

In my case, the dream was spawned by reality.

DonnyBrook13
July 11, 2013, 06:08 PM
It means:

Get a revolver.

X-JaVeN-X
July 11, 2013, 07:28 PM
It sounds to me like all of you guys need to go to the looney bin! lol

...but really...I'm jealous. I never have dreams (or at least never remember having them). On the rare occasion that I do have a dream, even if it's a nightmare, it makes me happy. Hmm...maybe I should go to the looney bin...

gym
July 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
They are in fact "Dreams". Subconscious thoughts that surface when the brain has little to do, as in sleep mode. I would not give it any more credence or allow it to influence my conscious decision making. I was the King of England the other night, sadly I awoke with my pillow under my butt instead of a throne.

Bruno2
July 11, 2013, 11:58 PM
I believe that subconsciously you do not have any faith in Glock. Although day to day you tell yourself it is a fine weapon, but in the back of your mind you doubt it. I would change brands and probably go with something in Beretta. You cant argue with 500 years.

ID-shooting
July 12, 2013, 01:01 AM
Mine is the no matter how hard I try to pull the trigger the gun will not fire. Had that one since I first joined the Army, have it much less now. Most of mine that wake me up are nukes (mushroom clouds on the horizon) and being back in the Army on a recall or some kind of draft situation.

JP Quiceno
July 12, 2013, 02:47 AM
I'd say you need to put that fear aside and realize the truth of the matter is that the possibility of your gun dry firing/jamming on the first shot in an encounter is a reality.

What you need to do isn't change guns, ammo, hardware, etc. It's your training that needs to improve.

Tap Rack Bang. That's all there is to it.

No need for fear.

For example:

(Does my 9MM have the power to stop a 280 Lb meth head mugger?)

(My glock doens't have a traditional safety, I'm probably going to end up shooting myself.)

(This ammo jammed up on the first try, It's no good!)

Just put all that debate about ammo, guns, holsters, etc aside and focus on:

1) Mindset

2) Skill Set

3) Then tool set!

------------

On another note. It's 2:46 AM here in Miami, FL and I'm going to pickup my brand new Generation 3 Glock 17 today at 10:00 am. Go figure LOL

easyg
July 13, 2013, 01:26 PM
Tap Rack Bang. That's all there is to it.

No need for fear.
Not necessarily....

Autos can jam in ways that require more than just the old "tap, rack, and bang" drill.

rodregier
July 13, 2013, 02:42 PM
My occasional failure dream/nightmare on the topic involves revolvers with impossibly heavy double-action trigger pulls. The revolvers I actually own have quite reasonable double action trigger pulls. I have auto-pistols too :-)

vongh
July 13, 2013, 04:23 PM
Look at the bright side in the op's dream he gets one shot off. Its better to have a single shot than no shot at all. In that scenario shot placement seems to be the name of the game. As in real life.;)

chitoryu12
July 14, 2013, 05:09 AM
I still find it hilarious that after the huge amount of info regarding dream interpretation and my own comment on the psychological implications of people simply interpreting everything literally, there are STILL people doing that.

HKGuns
July 14, 2013, 08:44 AM
I had a similar nightmare. In it, all of my guns were Glocks.....Terrifying!

I'll say.....That is a cold sweat nightmare.

To the OP, you'll grow out of this phase. Drink some warm milk before going to sleep.

Wishoot
July 14, 2013, 07:39 PM
I'd only start worrying if you were dreaming of smoking a cigar while going through a tunnel while riding a train.

Al Thompson
July 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
This thread seems done. OP, feel free to PM me if you disagree...

If you enjoyed reading about "Nightmares of Gun Jamming Up." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!