Anyone ever committed this booboo?

PDA

Langenator
March 20, 2004, 09:35 PM
Decided to pull my Fed Ord M-14 out of the safe for cleaning-hadn't fired it in forever, and even with dessicant in the safe, the climate down here can be rough. Much to my annoyance, I discovered that when I'd put it away, I'd put a trigger lock on it. Don't ask me why, I don't know. But I figure no problem, I've got a key ring with keys to all my trigger locks (I use them when I move, since the guns aren't locked up in a safe).

Two increasingly frustrating minutes later, it becomes clear that the key to this lock is missing. Nowhere to be found. :banghead:

So, Monday I'm going to take the rifle to a locksmith to get the lock removed. But I am a tad worried that he's going to think I stole it. And I bought this rifle 4 years ago in a FTF transaction, back when I was too dumb to keep a record of who I bought it from. :uhoh:

Hopefully all goes well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone ever committed this booboo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
March 20, 2004, 09:44 PM
Ah, you've uncovered the trigger lock conspiracy! You lock the gun, the key vaporizes and one less gun on the street! :evil: :rolleyes:

Trigger locks are evil. :(

Feanaro
March 20, 2004, 09:47 PM
Two words(Or maybe it is one?): hack-saw. And, depending on the thickness, a few blades.

Mark Tyson
March 20, 2004, 09:53 PM
Yes. I put the lock on a Remington 700. This was before I had a safe. When I realized the key was lost I hacksawed it off. It was one of those locks that clamps on to the trigger guard, as opposed to one of the cable locks. My arm got a real workout.

Hkmp5sd
March 20, 2004, 09:58 PM
Two words(Or maybe it is one?): hack-saw
Another two words: Bolt-cutters. :)

admar2
March 20, 2004, 10:04 PM
two more words.

drill bit.

Josey
March 20, 2004, 10:12 PM
Another reason for Dremel!!

motorep
March 20, 2004, 10:17 PM
I haven't committed that one, but I have recurring bad dreams regarding waking up and not remembering the combination to my safe. Or where I have it "secretly" written down.

tc300mag1
March 20, 2004, 10:19 PM
No havnt done that but i worry about it as ive run out of room in the safe and dont want to buy a new one while im still in this house my doors arent std size talk about a pain getting stuff in and out:banghead: :banghead:

joab
March 20, 2004, 10:32 PM
I used a screw driver to pry tte 2 pieces apart. It took about 1 minute to get it off

Edward429451
March 20, 2004, 10:39 PM
I've never done that but I had a Mini-14 in lay away and when I went to pick it up, they couldn't find the key! I got a fifty dollar discount and all I had to do was disassemble the rifle and it came right off.

M-14's are mighty similar for some reason. Try swinging the trigger guard down and see if it don't just wiggle off.;)

Standing Wolf
March 20, 2004, 11:50 PM
Not in my house!

Andrew Rothman
March 21, 2004, 12:02 AM
The trigger locks that come with guns tend to be of low quality and are almost trivially easy to pick.

Lock picking is perfectly legal -- as long as it's your lock, or you have the permission of the owner.

PM me for suggestions or read The Document Which Used To Be Called The MIT Lockpicking Guide (http://www.capricorn.org/~akira/home/lockpick/).

4570Rick
March 21, 2004, 01:28 AM
Trigger locks? I've never owned one. What do they do, besides hinder my use of the gun in times of need?

Besides, as indicated by quite a number of you, a little elbow greese and the lock is defeated. How secure is that?

Declaration Day
March 21, 2004, 01:56 AM
I had driven up to my hunting land, which is about a three hour drive from my house. When I got there, I realized that I did not bring the key for the trigger lock that was on my M1 Garand. So I just swung the trigger guard down and wiggled the lock off! So why would I bother putting a lock on it? Same reason why I lock all of my guns while heading to my land (except for my ccw gun of course). I often have many, many guns with me during that trip, and I figure the locks will save me some questioning and harassment if I ever get pulled over.

Treylis
March 21, 2004, 02:00 AM
I'd just take out my lockpick set and open the thing right up, assuming it takes a standard-ish key.

I don't know if lockpicks are legal in SC, though.

c_yeager
March 21, 2004, 03:48 AM
If simply prying it apart or stripping the gun doesnt do it, drilling it out will probably be the least cuss-inducing method.

Chip Dixon
March 21, 2004, 09:52 AM
I concur, vice that lock down and drill it out of existance. It'll be a lot cheaper than taking it to a smith, and faster.

Mal H
March 21, 2004, 09:58 AM
Can you remove the trigger guard with the lock in place? If so, ....

CB900F
March 21, 2004, 10:13 AM
Lang;

I'm a locksmith. I don't know about where you are, but here in Montana, your problem is not a problem in my shop. $5.00 gets your lock picked off, & I'll even throw it away for you free of charge. The reason they give triggerocks away is because they aren't worth anything.

Do you want to take the chance of slipping with either the hacksaw or drill & 'customizing' your M-14?

900F

Langenator
March 21, 2004, 10:57 AM
For those who posted about pulling up the trigger guard-thanks for the reminder. A really good yank, the guard opened, lock comes off.

And to everyone who's done the same thing-thanks for making me feel a little less dumb. :p

TechBrute
March 21, 2004, 11:10 AM
Langenator, did you have a reason for putting the lock on it?

Langenator
March 21, 2004, 04:28 PM
When I moved from WA to SC, my long guns were in cases in the back seat of my car, which was being towed behind my truck. Lock was put on then. Not a real theft deterent, I know, but it made me feel a tiny bit safer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone ever committed this booboo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!