Sources for lead

PDA

MadOtis
July 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
Question for all you casters out there...

Where do you get your lead? Do you buy it, or just get all the tire weights you can get your hands on?

Cheers!
Mad

If you enjoyed reading about "Sources for lead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
flipajig
July 16, 2013, 10:11 AM
I've gone to tire stores the large stores usually have a contract to dispose of there lead so you have a better chance at smaller stores. I've traded things for it but you may have to pay some for it. You can also smelt down spen bullets I try to get a mix of jacked and cast
And as a last resort the Walmart parking lot.
Flip

KansasSasquatch
July 16, 2013, 10:36 AM
Look up mainjunker on YouTube. He has a video talking about different sources for lead that could be helpful.

dprice3844444
July 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=bullet+casting+lead&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=att_lego_portal_home

ReloaderFred
July 16, 2013, 11:02 AM
Let your friends know you're looking for lead, too. Tire shops will be a smaller and smaller source of lead, since they've been mandated to use either steel or zinc wheel weights, and the battery companies usually buy all their lead. Some scrap yards sell lead, but at inflated prices.

If your range allows you to sift the berms, it's a good source, but be sure to put the dirt back and make it look like you've never been there, or you won't be allowed back. Smelting recovered bullets is also hard work, but worth the effort. I've gotten as much as $3.00 a pound for the copper jackets as #2 copper at the scrap yard, after smelting, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred

RugerBob
July 16, 2013, 11:24 AM
+1 at letting your friends know. I get some from boat yards that are scapping boats as keels have lots of lead. Son in law does commercial carpentry, so he works in many Hospitals where x ray rooms converted, lead sheeting is good there. Dentists offices also. Have gotten plenty from old scale counter wieghts. Most are built poured in and cut out for fit. If you can take scrap metal in, most yrads will sell you wheel wieghts or other scrap lead. Old roof sheeting from going around chimneys. Get tar off by freezing or just melt it. And then there is range lead. If you got places to dig.

Hondo 60
July 16, 2013, 12:25 PM
Sources vary.
A plumber gives me lead pipe.
I've bought some in the trading post here & I got some on eBay.

I tried several tire shops & junk yards.
They look at me like I'm the devil. :eek:

kerreckt
July 16, 2013, 12:50 PM
I get most of mine from tire shops. Even the big chain operations. I take time to talk to the person in charge and then to some of the guys in the bays. Even after I have been told they have an agreement with recyclers, I often get calls to"come and get it if you want it". I always make sure that someone gets some money in their hands. Also, once the word was out that I was looking for lead. I started getting calls from people wishing to sell. Junk yards from time to time if, the price is right.....Good Luck

oneounceload
July 16, 2013, 01:16 PM
The lead roofing flashing that goes around your roof plumbing vents works well as well. Watch for folks getting their roofs redone and let the roofer know you'll take that off their hands

MadOtis
July 16, 2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks, all, for the tips!

I need to start canvassing the neighborhood and visiting my local tire shops. I also found a few decent deals on eBay, boy they go fast... there must be more than just me out there shopping. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Sources for lead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!