Has anyone use the Otis MSR/AR cleaning kit?

PDA

HOOfan_1
July 17, 2013, 03:47 PM
Is it work the money? Midway is running it on sale this month and I have been thinking about buying one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone use the Otis MSR/AR cleaning kit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
YZ
July 17, 2013, 07:15 PM
Yes - if you don't have any components yet. I bought only separate items, such as the wire floss. Otis products are top quality. I don't know the sale price though. The company is good, quietly endorsed by the US armed forces. I remember buying a couple of brushheads, and they were kind enough to refund me the shipping charge because it was such a small order.

seanie!
July 18, 2013, 10:01 PM
Hands-down the best cleaning kit I've ever used for an AR, and it came directly from Afghanistan.

Magnuumpwr
July 24, 2013, 12:07 AM
I agree with both above posters. The one I have was purchased from their business in New York by my father-in-law as a Christmas present.

HOOfan_1
October 14, 2013, 11:04 PM
Well I bought one. I mostly bought it for the BONE tool and the scrappers and picks.

The BONE tool works ok.....but not as well as I expected it too.

It came with a few Otis specific patches...the package said 5.56....but those were the tightest patches I have ever dealt with. I almost thought I was going to have those things stuck in my barrel.....

I am a big fairly strong guy and it took a ton of effort to pull them through, the little brass T handle meant to pull it through actually bent almost in half and I had to put it in a vice to straighten it out (I have read reviews saying they break and bend too easy)

Thing was so tight it actually pulled out some copper fouling. I wonder if they make .17 caliber patches and if they would work better......the problem is, the Otis specific patches are so much more expensive than regular Hoppes patches.

Overall....not sure I think this was worth the $40 I spent on it...

wgaynor
October 15, 2013, 08:55 AM
My wife bought me the Otis Elite cleaning kit for Christmas and it came with the AR15 cleaning kit. Works great. Better than the kits you get at the big box stores.

OpticsPlanet
October 15, 2013, 11:30 AM
I started using the Otis cleaning system as it came with a firearm I purchased.

It works excellent the cable system does a much better job then using a rod.

I especially like how compact the system is everything fits in a small zippered case.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/otis-technology-tactical-cleaning-system.html

Tim G.

HOOfan_1
October 15, 2013, 11:48 AM
Has anyone else found that the patches are too hard to pull through? I followed the instructions on threading the patch onto the slotted tip. Like I said above, I bent the heck out of the T handle and I thought I was going to dislocate my fingers.

del4
October 15, 2013, 12:18 PM
I've haven't found them too hard to pull through. Sometimes you have to play with it.

OpticsPlanet
October 15, 2013, 12:30 PM
I struggled with pulling the patches through until I found out I was putting them on wrong.

Make sure you are using the patches correctly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEgUoiGIoQI

Tim G.

HOOfan_1
October 15, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'll have to watch that video....I threaded it just how the pictures showed....looks like the guy in that video used several different methods though.

HOOfan_1
October 15, 2013, 07:56 PM
Well after watching the video....I folded the patch at the opposite end...not the near end....but the directions which came with the kit did not say anything about folding from the near end. I am almost gun shy (so to speak) about trying it again though. I pulled two through yesterday and like I said, I bent the T handle in half and nearly pulled my fingers out of joint.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone use the Otis MSR/AR cleaning kit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!