Any single shot survival/truck guns?

PDA

swampcrawler
July 18, 2013, 01:04 AM
Hi guys. Thinkin about picking up a cheap used single shot 12, having it cut to 18.5 and threaded for choke tubes, slim down the stock and forend a little and keep around as a survival/truck/boat/loaner gun. Like the idea of a practically indestructible weapon that's fairly light and compact and capable of (though not ideal for) any game I can think of, that fires cheap, abundant ammo, all for around 200 bucks total.

Anyone think like me or am I just loony? I'd love to see some pics of your lightly modified single shots!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Any single shot survival/truck guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RPRNY
July 18, 2013, 01:17 AM
Even with the likes of an H&R, shotgun barrel walls are fairly thin and not nearly as indestructible as you may think. A better candidate in my mind would be a 357 mag. There is a Talo version (distributor) in 16. 5" barrel that's a bit hard to find but ideal for your purpose.

Probably more useful than a 12 gauge for a truck gun. I have a handy little 20 gauge H&R wearing Colt Classic furniture that is a great little grouse gun.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

swampcrawler
July 18, 2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the reply man. I do reload for 357 (magnum and Maximum) and love the ballistics of either out of a rifle tube. But 357 isn't legal for small game, and part of the idea is to always have something with me that can be used for the impromptu whatever hunt. (don't laugh, that's actually happened a few times)

And even with the thinner barrel of a shotgun, I hardly see it as fragile. I mean sure it's a less than suitable pry bar, but we have several around the house that have lead long lives of abuse and show no damage beyond messed up finishes and taped on forends

frankenstein406
July 18, 2013, 01:42 AM
I saw a used bakail? 20 gauge single shot that said it was a pack away gun. asking around $150 200 might be a better option to look into.

RPRNY
July 18, 2013, 02:07 AM
In that case, here's my little 26" 20 gauge:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa272/LRDG/Turkey/004-1.jpg

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

lhartman89
July 18, 2013, 03:01 AM
Here is my little NEF 20ga with the barrel cut down to 18.5". I don't remember what the over all length is but I know it is over 26". I cut off 7" of the barrel.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xHkv52QxUww/UeaJCZb4pbI/AAAAAAAAA34/nl-XV7A4fNk/w701-h236-no/IMAG1390.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a2Vuh8P4yCs/UeaJETiu68I/AAAAAAAAA4A/bVFfpRe_55k/w702-h232-no/IMAG1399.jpg

And here is the original length:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZmvEffege-w/UeaI-yPotgI/AAAAAAAAA3o/UtgBV8V7PZA/w702-h189-no/IMAG1099.jpg

cat_IT_guy
July 18, 2013, 10:04 AM
Shouldnt have a problem finding one in your budget. My dad has an older Savage (well from when he was a teen) that is a single shot 16ga. Kicks like a mule, but pretty much exactly what you describe otherwise. I would think if you check local gun stores (or GunBroker, though the FFL + shipping will dent that budget) you should be able to find a used Savage/H&R/etc for $100 or so, leaving you plenty leftover for ammo or a soft case to keep it in.

No idea what threading would run, cost wise, though if you got a gun with a mid-range choke, there probably isnt really a need to have it threaded for the relatively infrequent use you describe. Just my $.02.

410.bird.shot
July 19, 2013, 03:11 AM
I haven't priced them out in quite some time, but the Savage Model 24 series offers an incredible little combo gun that can be useful for fur and feather alike. I see them as ideal for a trap line operator. I don't live in a rural area, and I really do wonder about the idea of the "truck gun" due to theft concerns, but to each his own on that. My Model 24 is the "standard" .22 LR over .410, and I am fairly certain I have seen a .22 LR over 20 ga. as well. Some have ammo storage built into the buttstock and some don't.

I seem to recall there being some centerfire pistol and rifle calibers available as well, but I don't know that would suit your purpose. Supposedly these firearms were issued to military pilots decades ago as a survival gun. I paid about $250 for mine years and years ago, and these days I'd imagine such a combo might fetch a pretty extreme price.

410.bird.shot

Mp7
July 19, 2013, 06:37 AM
That NEF does look handy.

Add a shell-holder and you're good to go :-)

wgaynor
July 19, 2013, 07:07 AM
I've kept a NEF Single Shot 20 gauge in the trunk for quite a while with buckshot/slugs in a sleeve. It now sits in my hallway closet (close reach weapon that will buy me time to get to the others :O) )

It's a great idea. I see used ones around here for $75. I wouldn't thread it for a choke though. Just saw the barrel off straight and keep it legal.

improperlyaged
July 19, 2013, 07:33 AM
I keep a single shot h&R in the truck exactly like lhartman89, looks nearly identical to his and I paid 60 bucks at a pawn shop for it.

Old Shooter
July 19, 2013, 08:31 AM
Pawn shops usually have a few of them in the racks for not much money.

Most I've seen had longer barrels but that is what hacksaws and pipe cutters were made for.

I personally would not bother getting it threaded for the chokes.

I had a 20 gauge H&R? that I kept in the barn for snakes at the pond and such, worked just fine.

lhartman89
July 19, 2013, 11:19 PM
I keep a single shot h&R in the truck exactly like lhartman89, looks nearly identical to his and I paid 60 bucks at a pawn shop for it.
I got mine from my Grandfather when I turned 16 I think. I just cut down the barrel 4-5 days ago and haven't got to shoot it yet. I also refinished the stock in old english and high gloss tung oil finish. I used to use it to go bird and rabbit hunting and skeet shooting with my Grandfather. From what I have read, it will have a decent spread up to 40 yards if that.

shiftyer1
July 20, 2013, 01:53 AM
I buy every gun I find in the 60 - 75 dollar range. :) Single shot shotguns aint great but they are useful!

chas08
July 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
I have an H & R Tamer in 20 ga. Fixed mod choke. Great little truck/boat gun gun. With a fixed mod choke I see no reason for choke tubes or a poly-choke. My wife has one in .410 fixed full choke.

Dirty Bob
July 20, 2013, 01:07 PM
H&R/NEF has made single shots with screw-in chokes. If you can find one, that's a much less expensive way to go. My single shot 20 ga. has a 22-inch barrel with screw-in chokes. It was a youth model -- weighing 4-3/4 pounds -- and punishing with buck or slugs. I installed a full-size wood buttstock with a slip-on recoil pad, and things changed completely.

If you purchase a Short Lane (http://www.gunadapters.com/) adapter for $25, you can fire .410 in your 20ga. or 12ga. I've been pleasantly surprised by both the velocity and the patterns of the .410 buckshot rounds I tried in the adapter.

Another interesting single is the Yildiz .410 folding shotgun. It weights just 3.3 pounds, with a skinny, 28-inch barrel that makes it feel like a fishing pole. I cut mine to about 21", to be even with the buttstock when folded, and put on a new bead sight. I haven't fully tested it yet, but it put a 5-pellet 000 buck round in a tiny group at 10 yards. This would make good raccoon or possum medicine.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

PapaG
July 20, 2013, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't worry about choke tubes. Changing ammo can have a big impact on pattern, even with cylinder bore. Cheap promo loads open up faster, premium hard shot loads will be a little tighter. Slugs often work well out of a cylinder, buckshot not so much. An adapter, like the 410er is also nice and another one in 357, or even 30-30 would round it out. My favorite right now is one of two Savage combos, one an old ratty 24dl in 22/20, the other a pristine 24v in 222/20.

kBob
July 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
All this talk of truck guns has me thinking.....a dangerous thing...yes that's true.....

What are folks doing for sights?

I am not likely going to be able to install a new or salvaged bead, and I want better anyway.

In the 1970s someone sold a set of sights that one could "super glue" to a shot gun that did not look to bad, they had a typical tangent rear with notched elevator but no way to deal with windage and a post front with one of the early plastic glow type (light gathering) blades a chunk of triangular cross section orange plastic.

I have see nothing like it since. Anything like that out there now?

My other thought was one of the super duper magnetic clip ons for a front sight only if there was one made to fit a curved barrel rather than a flat vent rib.

At one point there was a clip on rear sight unit with fire eyes like dots for vent rib guns, but I saw nothing like that for round barrels.

I like the idea of a shortened single shot as a knock around and behind the truck seat (not in view) gun, but I want sights to make it useful with slugs or shell shrinkers.

Any ideas?

-kBob

jeepnik
July 20, 2013, 07:35 PM
Single shots are fine for sporting purposes where missing is just a thump to ones ego. But for anything more serious, a multi-shot weapon is to be preferred.

There are plenty of relatively inexpensive pump shotguns that would serve better. When I was looking to replace my AR-7 jeep gun, I found I had it's replacement in my safe. My old (very, as it was my first shotgun) Mossy .41o.

No, it's not an ideal anti personnel weapon, nor the best for large animals, but for all of the intended purposes (small game, shooting games, and in the very last resort a defense weapon) it suits well.

So take a look around for an older, used but serviceable pump gun. You'll be better off in the long run.

Awsomepossum
July 20, 2013, 08:26 PM
Why get a single shot when you can get a bolt action shotgun, also if looking for single shot rifles, look at the baikal.

wgaynor
July 20, 2013, 10:20 PM
So, single shots are not tactically ideal for a defensive weapon, but an admittedly less than ideal caliber (.410) is a better choice? Too much opinion here.

kBob
July 21, 2013, 12:33 AM
Mattshlok,

I have shot foster slugs with a bead only.....also with a "rifle sighted" Ithica 37, and tangent sighted 870 as well as my current Mossberg 500 with ghost ring sights.

Any of those "rifle sights" beat a bead hands down no matter how much you practice.

I note that some single shots have a sort of vestigial rear sight that is visable as a notch or trough atop the reviever that can be aligned with the bead, but some have nothing.

-kBob

lhartman89
July 21, 2013, 01:49 PM
I don't think it should be too hard to drill and tap a hole for a bead. The hard part would getting it in the right spot.

Texan Scott
July 21, 2013, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't bother with the chokes either. Also wouldn't thin the wood or try to lighten it. They're already as light as you'd like for a shotgun right out of the box; taking 7 1/2 inches off the barrel adds enough kick-boom-flash as it is.

A 20 with #3 buck might be about ideal for that. You could probably do it yourself and come out around $100.

improperlyaged
July 21, 2013, 11:37 PM
I got mine from my Grandfather when I turned 16 I think. I just cut down the barrel 4-5 days ago and haven't got to shoot it yet. I also refinished the stock in old english and high gloss tung oil finish. I used to use it to go bird and rabbit hunting and skeet shooting with my Grandfather. From what I have read, it will have a decent spread up to 40 yards if that.

Mine has a an 18 inch spread at about 15 yards as the tightest pattern using Remington Express, now with winchester elcheapo, more like 25 inches at the same range.

Dirty Bob
July 22, 2013, 12:08 AM
Re: replacing the bead, I bought beads, drill bits, and a tap from Midway for not much money. The job was pretty easy. Hardest part was making sure I had the mark for the bead in exactly the right spot. Now my shortened .410 wears a new brass bead.

Before I cut, I tied a thread to the original bead and taped the other end at the center of the back end of the chamber. This thread worked as my "plumb line" to help me mark the spot for the new bead before I cut the barrel.

Si, se puede!

Dirty Bob

lhartman89
July 22, 2013, 12:22 AM
Mine has a an 18 inch spread at about 15 yards as the tightest pattern using Remington Express, now with winchester elcheapo, more like 25 inches at the same range.
Thank you for the info. I am going to be shooting Estate and Federal #7 1/2 shot from it when plinking. I want to make some wax slugs too. I keep a Federal rifled slug in it just in-case but I also have a Maverick 88 with 00 buck and my Glock 19 and Ruger SR22 loaded also lol. I hope to go shoot it soon. I think it would be pretty good with the wax slugs. I already made 25 wax slugs for my Maverick with Winchester Universal from Wally World. I'll have to see how it does with the Federal and Estate birdshot.

Texan Scott
July 22, 2013, 01:04 AM
Dirty Bob, that plumb line idea, that's usin yer noggin! I'm addin that to my book o tricks!

mac66
July 22, 2013, 05:33 PM
My H&R truck shotgun has cut down 18" barrels. Shown with a 20 ga with pouch (holds 27, 7 outside, 20 inside) and snap on fiber optic sight. The sight also clips onto the 12 ga barrel. Also shown with a cut down 16" .357 mag barrel. And yes the clip on sight will hold even under 12 slugs. It is also a bit adjustable side to side to sight in the pattern.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_9938_zps9faac3ec.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mac66/media/100_9938_zps9faac3ec.jpg.html)

Takes down pretty easily with a dime. The pouch will hold twenty 12 ga shells (5 outside, 15 inside). It will hold a bunch 50+ .357s.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/105_9678.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mac66/media/105_9678.jpg.html)

swampcrawler
July 22, 2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys! Looks like at least a few people think like I do. Mac66, love the pouch! I believe that would be the best way to deal with keeping ammo with the gun.

So my largest issue now is to choke or not to choke.
Most seem to be against it, but it seems to me that bird shot from a cylender bore would drastically limit range. This can be dealt with to some degree with federal's flight control ammo, but I'm unsure if they offer bird shot with that wad. I know it would probably cost more than the gun but it seems a pollychoke (thanks, whoever suggested that) would really improve the range and thus the usefulness of the weapon. Hmm.

Also, any real reason to go 12 instead of 20? Maybe 12 guage ammo is a little not common but 20 is far from rare, and it seems it would be easier on the shoulder and just a little lighter. Again thank you gentlemen for all your thoughts and pics!

kBob
July 22, 2013, 11:44 PM
Mac66,

that is nice and just what I have been thinking. How long is the receiver and stock?

Stopped by my favorite pawn shop this AM and could find zero swingle shots. I asked and the guy said he gets them and they go out about as soon as he wipes them off and puts them on the rack.

I was tempted though by a Savage 24 12/.223, fortunately it was far to ugly (plastic furniture painted and receiver painted) for what they wanted for it.

I am informed by the spousal unit that there is a horse show this Saturday and so my chances of finding a single shot at a yard sale are approaching zero. I am about desperate enough to ask my Brother in law to look for one in his back closet.

-kBob

jeepnik
July 23, 2013, 12:03 AM
So, single shots are not tactically ideal for a defensive weapon, but an admittedly less than ideal caliber (.410) is a better choice? Too much opinion here.
Well yea, the OP is asking for our input. And, personally I'd rather have five .410 slugs than one 12 ga slug. Then again, I'm not perfect and sometimes I miss. And, then again, what if there is more than one target?

mac66
July 23, 2013, 06:08 PM
K-Bob,

This is my grab and go, woods walker, truck gun. Not fancy, not expensive but is kind of a just in case you needed a gun, gun. I did buy this one at a garage sale real cheap and cut the barrel down. I then found the 20ga bbl and cut it down as well. I got the 357 mag bbl cheap because the guy who owned it cut it too short to be legal. I had a friend turn the end down and silver solder on a drilled out AR15 flash hider to bring it over 16" . BTW, the pouch also holds ear plugs in case of an impromptu range or plinking session.

To be honest it is beast to shoot with 12 ga slugs and buck so I mostly carry and shoot the 20 ga barrel. Even with slugs and buck the 20ga is much easier to handle.

The shotgun barrel is a hair past 18". As you can see in the photo, the stock and frame are pretty close to the same length.

Also, not shown is the extra shells in the stock screw hole under the butt pad. I think it holds three.

Deltaboy
July 24, 2013, 10:53 AM
I got my 20 gauge single shot for 40 bucks at a LGS. It is a M-88 H&R.

Deer_Freak
July 25, 2013, 10:31 AM
You say you have a budget of $200. You would be far better off to find a used pump and buy a decent hard case for it. You can't buy a single shot that is in any kind of shape and get the barrel cut down and threaded for under $200. Then you have to buy the chokes for the gun at $20 each or more.

200Apples
July 31, 2013, 02:38 PM
jeepnik

Single shots are fine for sporting purposes where missing is just a thump to ones ego. But for anything more serious, a multi-shot weapon is to be preferred.
jeepnik

Well yea, the OP is asking for our input. And, personally I'd rather have five .410 slugs than one 12 ga slug. Then again, I'm not perfect and sometimes I miss. And, then again, what if there is more than one target?

Clint Smith of Thunder ranch does not agree with you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NSLxxDWpOI). <--- link

And, the OP had simply asked, "Any single shot survival/truck guns?"; nothing more.

;)

Hunterdad
August 1, 2013, 08:01 AM
Not a single shot, but I keep my Stevens 520 under the rear tray in my Jeep GC

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/adam11082/5BFE11D2-914B-4970-A27D-21C96E9EE1EB-12745-0000091D825140EB.jpg

Carl N. Brown
August 1, 2013, 08:28 AM
I cut the barrel of my old 20ga survival/camping/backpack single barrel shotgun to be equal to the length of the stocked action, slightly over 19". I also had a 12ga version at 18.5". If I did it over, I think I would go for 20" to 22", still short when taken down for transport.

rszwieg
August 1, 2013, 08:25 PM
I've got a Magtech 151 12 ga with a 18.5" barrel. It's taken rabbits and a coon, a cheap and reliable beater.

Deltaboy
August 1, 2013, 08:49 PM
They are fun to shoot and are Anvil tough.

jeepnik
August 1, 2013, 11:13 PM
Clint Smith of Thunder ranch does not agree with you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NSLxxDWpOI). <--- link

And, the OP had simply asked, "Any single shot survival/truck guns?"; nothing more.

;)
Well, Clint is entitled to his opinion. Now, I'm not a professional gunfighter anymore,(professional meaning someone who's paid to do something). But from my long ago experience I can tell you I'd rather have more rounds available.

Clint's gun fighting experience is probably more recent, and maybe the world is different. Doubt it, but I could be wrong. I have been before. But, this is my opinion.

Dirty Bob
August 1, 2013, 11:21 PM
My guess is that Clint doesn't recommend single shots to his students, but rather he was showing how a single shot is not an automatic loser in an armed confrontation, provided you're good with it and determined not to let some bad guys reach your family. It's not the gun as much as the skill and will of the user, seems to be his point.

I'd much rather have almost anything else, but I suspect that those of us who like and shoot singles -- if we were ever forced to use one for defense -- would be doing so only because nothing better was immediately available.

The one place that I can remember someone choosing a single shot as a sole gun was as a backpacking shotgun, with a small stash of shells. I would probably want to back it up with a small .32 or .380 or .38 Special polymer-framed pistol of some sort, but in a confrontation, the first round I fired would be from the shotgun.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

200Apples
August 2, 2013, 12:17 AM
jeepnik! Please pardon my last post... I was in a mo0d. :)

jeepnik and Dirty Bob, I agree: I'd rather have multiple rounds in the tube below the breach, that's for sure. That's what my 33-yr-old Wingmaster is for.

I'm just lovestruck, currently, over my new, old H&R single... (shortened it, and got it to the range yesterday. Thing shoots straight as an arrow!) so I'm on a break-action, fast hand-reload-from-a-sidesaddle kick.

All I need now is a sidesaddle. Hee!

http://forums.focaljet.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Dirty Bob
August 2, 2013, 12:35 AM
Just out of curiousity: does anyone besides me like a .410 single shot? My tiny Yildiz weighs in at around 3 pounds. Its 21-inch barrel was cut to that length so it's even with the butt when the gun is folded for pack carry or storage.

Light and small, but at ten yards it throws five 000 buckshot in a pattern smaller than the bottom of a beverage can. Birdshot patterns at short range are good, too. I like it!

All my best,
Dirty Bob

200Apples
August 2, 2013, 12:45 AM
Funny you should ask... I've my eye on a .410 single shot at the lgs...

'twould be my first.

:p

Dirty Bob
August 2, 2013, 01:12 AM
You can "test drive" the .410 in a 12ga or 20ga single shot, with a Short Lane adapter (http://www.gunadapters.com/). I've tried one in my 20ga. that lets me shoot .410 (http://www.gunadapters.com/20-gauge-to-410-45-colt/) shells. Low recoil, good velocity, and good patterns for $25, and it lets you make use of .410 if that's what's available. My .410 buckshot loads penetrated the same amount of milk jugs of water, regardless of whether they were fired from the adapter or from a dedicated .410 single shot! I like it!

All my best,
Dirty Bob

200Apples
August 2, 2013, 01:39 AM
Oh, man... thanks for the link, Bob!

And there's also! a 12ga-to-.45ACP!

:D

PorkChopsMmm
August 2, 2013, 10:59 AM
mac66 -- really nice set up. Here is mine.

Old Stevens 12 gauge cut down to 18.5". Nothing fancy but gets the job done. I don't even think it kicks too bad.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4414/evc4.jpg

Dave Markowitz
August 2, 2013, 12:19 PM
I like how your AR15 is photobombing that pic. :)

Anyone try the Aguila Mini Shells in their 12 gauge single shot? They make versions loaded with buckshot, slugs, and birdshot. The birdshot is 5/8 oz. of #7.5s, which puts it in the .410 class.

PorkChopsMmm
August 2, 2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks, if you look close there are 2 there :)

I have used reduced recoil buckshot before -- worked well and was easier for me to find than the mini shells.

200Apples
August 2, 2013, 01:29 PM
Nice, PorkChop!

Who makes that particular sidesaddle?

Dave, above, was kind enough to post his setup using a Allen buttstock shell holder (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=724178).

:)

PorkChopsMmm
August 2, 2013, 01:39 PM
I will look at the tag tonight but I think it was the cheapest generic side-saddle on sale at Cabelas at the time.

200Apples
August 2, 2013, 02:06 PM
10-4. Thanks.

I don't get out much... :p

PorkChopsMmm
August 2, 2013, 03:01 PM
No worries. I actually didn't buy it. I got this shotgun from a friend back when it had some ridiculous ~30" barrel -- he had the shell sleeve on it when I bought it.

200Apples
August 2, 2013, 03:28 PM
30" ain't redonkolis... 34" is! but in a neat way. I chopped it (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=723863), though, just the same...

:uhoh: :p

jeepnik
August 2, 2013, 08:18 PM
Just out of curiousity: does anyone besides me like a .410 single shot? My tiny Yildiz weighs in at around 3 pounds. Its 21-inch barrel was cut to that length so it's even with the butt when the gun is folded for pack carry or storage.

Light and small, but at ten yards it throws five 000 buckshot in a pattern smaller than the bottom of a beverage can. Birdshot patterns at short range are good, too. I like it!

All my best,
Dirty Bob
Never tried a .410 single since my first shotgun was the mossy. But, I have been keeping an eye out for either a Winchester or a Marlin .410 lever. I prowl used gun racks often, so one will show up, in the right condition and price, sooner or later.

mac66
August 3, 2013, 12:58 PM
Looks good Porkschopsmm!

deputy tom
August 3, 2013, 05:59 PM
Here in PA we aren't allowed to have long guns with ammo in the same compartment of a motor vehicle but we can carry loaded revolving shot pistols with LTCF. I find the best answer to a carjacking is 00 buck from a .410 revolver ie. Judge or Governor. Both give higher round counts not afforded with a single shot shotgun or even a double derringer like Bond or American sells. Yeah, at home a 12ga pump would be the answer but not when out and about. YMMV. tom. :cool:

MCgunner
August 3, 2013, 06:33 PM
Even with the likes of an H&R, shotgun barrel walls are fairly thin and not nearly as indestructible as you may think.

Not with my 10 gauge H&R Turkey gun. I bought it for hunting geese and it's awesome. 24" barrel, gun weighs 9 lbs, but trust me, that's a good thing. :D It's threaded for chokes. I have an extra full turkey it came with and a modified that patterns steel T shot over 90 percent at 40 yards on a 30" pattern board. I understand it will take Browning BPS 10 choke tubes. The thing reaches out there on those decoy shy snows. I kinda prefer my 20 gauge Spartan coach gun for an all around gun around the place, though. It's light, has screw in chokes, patterns well and is a dove slayer. I keep it in the bedroom loaded with 3 buck for self defense duties. It set me back 300 bucks about 6 or 7 years ago. Around the place, that's my main utility shotgun. The light weight totes a lot easier than the H&R. :D

I don't normally carry a long gun, but after the verdict of the trial we ain't supposed to talk about, I was taking it along behind the seat of my Silverado for a while, only when I went to a bigger town, not too many of them around here.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh305/goose150/PICT0240.jpg

JSH1
August 7, 2013, 12:37 PM

All my best,
Dirty Bob
I'm a fan. I bought one a few months ago and it is our home defense gun. It is light and handy, can safely be stored loaded, and I find five 000 buck to be plenty. However the biggest factor was that my wife can shoot it. We also have a 12ga pump but it kicks too hard, she short strokes it, and always forgets to push the slide release to chamber the first round.

I don't worry about only having one shot. The probability of a home invasion is tiny. The probability of being attacked by a group of armed thugs that will press their attack in the face of incoming fire is so small it approach's zero. The last murder in my town was in 2009 and that was a murder/suicide where the wife shot her husband in his sleep then shot herself when the police arrived. That was the first murder in more than a decade.

Dirty Bob
August 7, 2013, 07:44 PM
A 000 buck load in a .410 is pretty serious stuff. I've done some penetration testing, and they were impressive, though I saw more pellet deformation from firing than I expected. Some of the buckshot had been significantly flattened.

It sounds like you have one of the Mossberg .410 pump guns. They are much more pleasant to shoot than my (extremely light) single shot .410 Yildiz.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

August 7, 2013, 09:09 PM
I picked up a H&R 20 Guage single shot for 45 dollars at an auction 2 years ago.Haven't shot it much,have to do something about that.

200Apples
August 8, 2013, 12:00 AM
I picked up a H&R 20 Gauge single shot for 45 dollars at an auction...

Outstanding.

I just paid over twice that for an H&R 20ga I put a deposit on, yesterday... and I pick it up weekend after next. I'm excited.

I just whittled the barrel on another H&R, a 12ga... but this 20ga methinks I'll leave long (I believe it's a 26" barrel). I do know that it's another one made in 1940, just like my 12!

What vintage is yours? Post the first half of the serial number and I'll look it up!

:cool:

Deltaboy
August 11, 2013, 11:28 PM
Keep them coming.

Deltaboy
August 17, 2013, 12:28 PM
Bump Lets see some more projects.

AKElroy
August 17, 2013, 12:45 PM
Delete - thought I was typing in a new thread. No hijack intended!

goon
August 17, 2013, 07:43 PM
Why shorten it at all? Look for one of the youth versions and just add an adult length buttstock.
That way you get a short barrel and you keep the choke.

Dave Markowitz
August 17, 2013, 10:25 PM
BTW, there is a long running thread over on Arfcom (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/378160_Is_there_any_tactical_SHTF_value_to_a_single_shot_12ga.html) on the same subject.

Dirty Bob
August 17, 2013, 10:44 PM
I shortened my rifle into a "carbine" so that it could be carried -- assembled -- in a tennis bag. Very low profile.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

goon
August 17, 2013, 11:27 PM
Dirty Bob - you got a pic? What is your OAL? I've always appreciated the pure functionality and simple class of single shots. Might be because my first gun was a H&R 098 Topper youth model.

MountainManBob
August 18, 2013, 12:48 AM
I have the H&R Survivor .410/45LC it is an awesome and flexible little package! Highly recommended, that is if the OP is ok with .410. but they also have a 20g. I also have the Ultra Hunter .223 with the heavy bull barrel, and am so happy with both of these, I would never look back! So much so, I have my sights set on picking up the 30-30 and the 357, on that thought, if anyone here has either of those they would want to unload, I'm game (pardon the puns!) LOL

Dirty Bob
August 18, 2013, 01:07 AM
Here's my single shot .357 Maximum. As you can see, it's right around 30 inches. It now wears the rifle forend that it came with, and the forend shown has gone back to the 20ga. single shot.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=179559&d=1360555528

It started as a .357 Mag, but I reamed it to Max. I haven't found brass in .357 Maximum yet, but I'm going to be trying some long .357 Mag. loads to take advantage of the longer chamber/throat. Thanks to a good friend, I have a small stock of heavy-for-caliber jacketed bullets, and I have a 190-grain mould and gas checks, so I can make some cast bullets for "Maxing" the Magnum (not pushing the pressure limits, just the loaded-round limits, but it's a big deal to not have to deeply seat bullets to make the normal allowable overall length for the Magnum. It gives a great deal more flexibility in propellants and charges.).

Here's a detail of the front sight. Rear is a NoDak Spud ghost ring. I'm still settling on my main load for this gun, and then I'll file down the plastic sight blade (made from a tent peg).
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=179560&d=1360555552

Finally, here's the sight picture. It's a fun little carbine to shoot! Even with the short barrel, the barrel profile is very heavy, so a .38 round feels like a pellet gun! I wouldn't want this to be my only long gun, but if it was, I could use it for everything from squirrels and plinking (round ball or 105-grain Lee SWC or 148-grain Lee WC in .38) to large game (.357 Magnum or Maximum, with 165- to 190-grain bullets), and just about anything in between. I think a single shot in .357 Mag. or Max., .44 Mag., or .45 Colt is an incredibly versatile firearm, especially if you reload.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=179561&d=1360555568

All my best,
Dirty Bob

Deltaboy
August 23, 2013, 12:28 AM
Cool gun Dirty Bob.

Dirty Bob
August 23, 2013, 10:24 PM
No sights on this model, just a scope mount rail. I replaced it with the rear sight. Rather than turn it over to a 'smith, I decided to try my hand at making a front sight. I also reduced the barrel from 22" to around 17".

Regards,
Dirty Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Any single shot survival/truck guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!