10/22 reassembly problem

PDA

monotonous_iterancy
July 18, 2013, 01:07 AM
Today I shot my 10/22, and I disassembled it, cleaned the receiver out, and tried to reassemble it. The only problem is that the bolt won't open all the way. I think the trigger group is blocking it, because when I remove the trigger group, it can be pulled all the way back. When I put it back in, and all the pins fit, I can only pull the bolt halfway or so.

What gives?

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 reassembly problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dmazur
July 18, 2013, 01:19 AM
I owned a 10/22 many years ago, but I don't remember having the problem you described.

Ruger's owner's manual says the hammer has to be cocked for reassembly. (Well, they say to reverse the steps for disassembly, which state that the hammer must be cocked.)

Is the hammer cocked?

monotonous_iterancy
July 18, 2013, 01:27 AM
The hammer wasn't. That fixed it. Thanks!

dmazur
July 18, 2013, 01:29 AM
Absolutely blind guesswork on my part...

I read the manual and guessed what I might have done 30 years ago, when I first disassembled my 10/22.

Glad I could help. :)

Sav .250
July 18, 2013, 08:34 AM
Try U-Tube for a tutorial on the subject. Should be one.

returningfire
July 18, 2013, 11:24 AM
I do a little gun repair on the side, nothing major. An this is the most common problem I find with the 10-22. Cock the hammer.

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 reassembly problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!