Storage Question

PDA

lgcal20ga
July 18, 2013, 01:11 PM
I have a couple four drawer blue print file cabinets that I use for handguns to reside. The cabinets are all metal, and would like to put something between the guns and the metal. Originally thought about using kitchen cabinet shelf liners made out of a sponge rubber material, but concerned that might hold moisture, etc. and lead to rust. Any suggestions?

Larry

If you enjoyed reading about "Storage Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skylerbone
July 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
Closed cell foam will work, never open cell.

Gaucho Gringo
July 18, 2013, 06:42 PM
What about those gun safe handgun storage racks if you have enough vertical height? They come in all kinds of configurations.

BCRider
July 18, 2013, 07:31 PM
The soft "non skid" stuff that looks like beaded fishnet would work well. As would cheap bath towel material.

But keep in mind that the whole key to avoiding rust issues is to ensure that the inside of the cabinet is kept warm to avoid high humidity. So if your cabinet is in a cooler than outside basement then the guns are at risk. That's where something like a Golden Rod heater in the base of the cabinet comes into play. Or some other way of drying the air in the cabinet. The issue here is that the cabinets leak too much air so it's useless to use things like silica gel packs or similar air drying tricks.

lgcal20ga
July 18, 2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks Skyler. Not sure if what I have is closed foam or not.

BC No height at all for the safe type pistol holders. This is a very large cabinet with four drawers that are each about 3 inches high. Probably 42 inch wide and 30 inch deep. Handguns lay flat on their side very nicely inside each drawer. The two cabinets I have stack on top of each other by design. So 8 drawers. Lots of room. It is pretty open. And it is in a basement location. Dehumidifier going all the time. I'll have to check on the space below the cabinet to see if I can get a Golden Rod in there. Its up on a platform to be off the floor. Never had water, but you never know.

Larry

Drail
July 18, 2013, 09:09 PM
If you want to find out if it is closed or open cell take a small piece and dunk it into water. Dry it off with a towel. If you can squeeze any water out of it (like a sponge) it is open cell and it will absorb and hold moisture. I would advise to only use the top drawers, the moisture will be worse near the floor. Another idea I have used are racks made from vinyl coated steel or plastic used to stack plates in. Try Bed Bath and Beyond or any big store that sell kitchen goods. I have also built wooden racks with wood dowels to hold the gun by the muzzle. The best thing you can do is keep them oiled with a good rust preventing oil like Breakfree CLP, Breakfree Collector or Eeezox. And try to get them out of the basement. Most basements are ( or can be) death to firearms. Especially if there's any carpeting down there. The humidifer will help but may not be able to handle the load if the humidity goes above 50%.

akv3g4n
July 18, 2013, 09:54 PM
I just use wax paper as a barrier between my handguns and metal in my gun cabinet. No issues in the couple years I've done it. Or you could lay it on top of foam.

Jim K
July 18, 2013, 09:58 PM
Any padded material should do, but put some VPI paper in each drawer.

Jim

oneounceload
July 19, 2013, 12:15 PM
Even your basic "Contact Paper" will keep metal from metal; go to fabric store and get some polyester fabric - won't hold moisture

Shimitup
July 20, 2013, 12:43 AM
All of my guns have been laying on the carpet shelves in my safe for decades with no ill effects whatsoever.

oneounceload
July 21, 2013, 02:52 PM
All of my guns have been laying on the carpet shelves in my safe for decades with no ill effects whatsoever.

Most likely because it is either 100% polyester or 100% nylon material, both of which do not hold moisture

Skylerbone
July 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
Add some engraving and gold fill, gold plated trigger or gold bead sight and there can be problems with gases released from materials like carpets and glues. Even presentation boxes lined in velvet or flocked can damage delicate finishes.

CapnMac
July 21, 2013, 10:39 PM
Actually, what might be just the ticket would be mechanic's toolbox shelf liner material.

But, you might have to find a MACCO or Snap-On dealer to get rolls the width of a flat file's shelves.

Once ypu have the underlayment, you could shop for industrial supplier for die-cut foam sheets to make spaces for what you want to lay upon the shelves.

Only real problem with a flat file is that it's not the best for getting a lock into. Best bet is a bar down the front fitted into a pair of hasps, with the top one rigged to take a pad lock of some sort.

Ramone
July 22, 2013, 12:02 PM
There ya go-

http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-nonslip-drawer-liner-65565.html

I've used it in tool boxes in boat engine rooms, as well as for gun storage.

Cokeman
July 24, 2013, 03:34 AM
Wrap them in gun socks.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5146IxNleDL._SX385_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_PIcountsize-5,TopRight,0,0_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Sack-up-207-Pistol-Sock-pack/dp/B003C7QJTE)

lgcal20ga
September 7, 2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. The hinged bar for a lock is what I was thinking I would have to do, should work. Its in a locked room to begin with. I'll get busy and see if I can post some pics when its done. Thanks.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Storage Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!