Ammo Can Gaskets, Worth repairing?

PDA

psychbiker
July 18, 2013, 02:57 PM
I'm about to buy 5 50cal ammo cans for $50 but noticed the seller said the seals are all gone. This just increases the cost per can now.

For whatever reason, there are no replacement gaskets online and I've surfed the entire web :neener:

Some use RTV and other things.

Anyone have any ideas how to make some gaskets? I may pass if I can't figure it out in time

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Can Gaskets, Worth repairing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
July 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
Buy 'em anyway, maybe dicker about the price according to condition of them. Gaskets can be replaced later on, there's stuff you can use. $10 each ain't bad unless they're beat up or damaged.

frankenstein406
July 18, 2013, 07:53 PM
I would pass, clean ones with good rubber are $20 and $15 on sale. unless you just want them as storage then throw the ammo in ziplocs

plumbers tape might be better then rtv its a brush on in a can

oneounceload
July 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
There are generic rubber gaskets that can be cut to fit. If you live in the desert, it may not matter, but to those of us who live the somewhat humid areas, like Florida, they make the difference between use it now and long term storage

ball3006
July 19, 2013, 03:20 PM
remove the old gasket, clean the surface. Then place a piece of plastic wrap over the top edge of the can that contacts the gasket. Then run a bead of scilicone sealent around the gasket channel. Close the lid and let set/dry. Open the can and remove the plastic sheet. Should work. However, ammo cans are relatively cheap so get some with a good seal....chris3

rondog
July 19, 2013, 03:46 PM
It also depends on where you live and how easy it is to get ammo cans there. Some places they can be scarce.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Can Gaskets, Worth repairing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!