New 44 MAG Load

PDA

blarby
July 18, 2013, 08:07 PM
Warning. Load data listed below may exceed some published manuals' max charge for the cartridge listed, and should be used only in those firearms which are of current manufacture and are maintained in excellent condition.

Test Firearm : Ruger Super Blackhawk / 44 Magnum

226g GCLSWC
12.0 G Unique
Federal Large Pistol Match Primers
Starline Brass
1.575 COAL

This round shot incredibly well, burned very clean, and had manageable- but definately magnum, recoil.

Groups measured 1.75"-2.5" at 50 yards from a seated bag.

Average velocity was 1520 across 100 shots - And I must say its neat to be able to finally test that !

If you enjoyed reading about "New 44 MAG Load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
greenlion
July 18, 2013, 09:50 PM
What does GCL stand for in the bullet type? Just curious.

JimKirk
July 18, 2013, 10:09 PM
Gas Checked Lead Semi Wad Cutter

blarby
July 18, 2013, 10:48 PM
^^^^this^^^^

RealGun
July 19, 2013, 09:56 AM
Average velocity was 1520 across 100 shots

Hard to imagine 100 shots in a single session, even with padded gloves. I have a bone bruise at the base of my thumb after about 30, using padded-palm carpenter's gloves. It was fun, but I felt it later.

blarby
July 19, 2013, 01:46 PM
Do you shoot a lot of 44 ?

I particularly liked this one because it felt strong, but certainly not like some of my jacketed loads.

NCsmitty
July 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
I'm glad that you posted the warning for your data, as Alliant lists 11gr of Unique with the 225 gr cast SWC GC as the maximum load, a full grain under your load. The Ruger SBH can take these loads in stride, but not all 44 Magnums are made like the Ruger SBH.

NCsmitty

blarby
July 19, 2013, 06:08 PM
Yep, its one of the oldest rules of the H&R section.

I was hoping that I would find something better than the 9-11grs that I normally use with this bullet, but unless I needed to put one into something just "that much" deeper, I don't really think its worth the additional recoil and expense.

It was a neat project though, and I got to learn a lot about this chrony I borrowed.

Safetychain
July 20, 2013, 01:49 AM
I could swear that I have seen some loading book or table of mine that actually has a set of loads especially for the Ruger SBH/SRH guns that had loads comparable, or at least closer to those developed for the 44 Mag carbines and rifles. I cannot find it now and neither can I find my load notes to determine what powder and weight I used. I used that table to develop a heavy load for a 300 gr jacked hollow point for a hand gun hunt. Never used them though when trip fell through. Test firing a few was a trip in itself.

If you enjoyed reading about "New 44 MAG Load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!