coal question

PDA

BudgetBucks1
July 19, 2013, 02:04 PM
I set up my nosler 30.06 handloads at the coal that nosler recommended which was 3.320. My groups were 1.5 -3 inches. I increased the length to 3.331 where the bullet actually touches the rifling and with the same powder load I shot 3/4 to 1.5 inch groups. I have heard that letting the bullets touch the rifling is dangerous due to an increase in pressure. Is this something I should worry about. I shot about 20 rounds out of my Savage like this and it didn't seem any different. The brass doesn't show any damage. The groups are muuuuch better. Info is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "coal question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
brickeyee
July 19, 2013, 02:15 PM
You can let the bullet touch if you worked up the load that way.

If you took a near max load and changed the bullet seating to touch the rifling it may now be an OVER MAX load.

ironworkerwill
July 19, 2013, 02:58 PM
Burger says that the bullet in the lands and no crimp will be most accurate.

I seat mine to the lands most times if I have the mag room AND start from the proper starting load.

As stated above it's safe if done properly.

Some bullet mfgs will have the same COL but the ojive will not be in the same place. This will not improve accuracy as some will be in the lands and others will not touch. Some reloaders set the bullets out further and let the lands set the slug back into neck. If this is done and the round is not fired the bullet may say put and only the brass will be removed from the chamber.

Haxby
July 19, 2013, 04:14 PM
How did you determine that the bullet is at the rifling?
Doesn't seem like it should be, at 3.331".

BudgetBucks1
July 19, 2013, 05:14 PM
I used the black marker method. Sharpie to be exact. I initially loaded them too long and the bolt wouldn't shut without force. I took it back a notch and it would shut without force so I marked my rounds and placed them in the chamber carefully making sure that they were full seated. Once I took them out I could see where the bullet was touching the back edge of the barrel. Does that make sense? I had heard about this way of doing it on this forum and thought I'd try it as I am new to reloading.

RainDodger
July 19, 2013, 05:52 PM
Or buy one of the measuring tools from Midway or Sinclair or Brownells, that use your own bullet to measure COAL from the cartridge base to the bullet's ogive. Slick little tools.

dagger dog
July 19, 2013, 06:24 PM
Or you can hold a bullet against the lands with a short dowel , drop a longer dowel down the barrel and use a thin blade to mark the length of the dowel at the muzzle as it touches the meplat of the bullet.

That gives you the jam distance, you don't want to exceed that distance.

You can take about 0.010" off that measured length to get your starting point then move the COAL out in 0.001" increments.

gamestalker
July 19, 2013, 06:38 PM
Nearly all of my high powdered rifle OAL's are up to the lands, and some slightly into them. But as long as you do your work up at the intended OAL, you'll avoid any chance of pressure issues. And in this respect, I have seen pressures jump significantly by not following this procedure.

GS

Haxby
July 20, 2013, 01:01 PM
I'd get the rifle checked out. SAAMI specs on the 30/06 say max OAL is 3.34". You should be able to load a Nosler bullet at least that long without hitting the lands.
If you are only going to shoot your handloads, worked up for that rifle, you're OK.
There might be some 30/06 ammo that is within industry specs, that would not be safe to shoot in your rifle.

ranger335v
July 20, 2013, 04:51 PM
"I'd get the rifle checked out. SAAMI specs on the 30/06 say max OAL is 3.34"."

That spec is for manufactoring the minimum magazine length, not the chamber. Throats can be as long as the maker wishes to cut them because there is no maximum length of a chamber leade.

If you enjoyed reading about "coal question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!