Funny thing happened while depriming ...

PDA

bds
July 20, 2013, 12:57 AM
Tonight, I was resizing some new Starline 45 Colt brass I test fired last weekend. I thought I had tumbled them by themselves so I was perplexed when the depriming pin got pushed up while resizing a case.

I went, "What the heck?" And when I pushed down on the pin, I saw a silver colored sleeve come down. I wondered what it was until I realized it was a nickel plated 380Auto case that must have been left/dropped in the tumbler. :D

Well, back to reloading!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=186537&stc=1&d=1374296180

If you enjoyed reading about "Funny thing happened while depriming ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
horsemen61
July 20, 2013, 01:51 AM
Well at least it didn't hurt anything lol :D

bds
July 20, 2013, 02:08 AM
I am loading the 45 Colt in single stage. After a hectic work week, it was a nice change of pace to quietly and slowly resize while listening to my favorite music.

Then the ram stopped like I hit a berdan primer case! :eek:

To be honest, all kinds of strange thoughts went through my head when I saw that "silver sleeve" come out from the resizing die...including, "Have I been resizing with this thing?" :D

Thank goodness it's Friday. I think I "REALLY" need the trip to the range tomorrow.

horsemen61
July 20, 2013, 02:12 AM
Sounds fun sadly I have to work :(

Centurian22
July 20, 2013, 03:21 AM
Whoopsy! Lol thanks for sharing. Enjoy the range trip.

Magnum Shooter
July 20, 2013, 04:52 AM
Been there done that. Have fun at the range.

popper
July 20, 2013, 12:23 PM
I have trouble with 22lr in range PU. Did you know the decaper/sizer still works with a 22 swaged into the stem?

Walkalong
July 20, 2013, 12:45 PM
You can hide a small home in a .45 Colt case. I found that out years ago, in much the same way. Now when I pick out the .45 Colt cases to put in the fired brass bin I turn them over and shake them first.

lightman
July 20, 2013, 07:44 PM
Walkalong, I like the way you have that organized! I keep my stash on shelves in the storeroom, in plastic coffee cans. I like your bin system. Lightman

Walkalong
July 20, 2013, 08:58 PM
Much of it used to be cardboard boxes, but little by little I got the bins. About half were scrounged, and the rest were purchased.

rcmodel
July 20, 2013, 09:07 PM
That's the very reason I take the opportunity to inspect every case for defects both before & after they come out of the tumbler.
And Well before they get resized and de-primed.

I have found rocks, rolled up cigarette butts, spent bullets, and still alive giant spider nests packed full of media.
And other things including smaller cases inside range pick-ups through the years.

It's your early and best opportunity to stop problems like that before you damage a reloading die, or worse.

rc

Jesse Heywood
July 20, 2013, 09:28 PM
RC
Heaven forbid you kill any giant spiders! :D

I started trying to count the number of cartridges walkalong loads. But I ran out of fingers and toes and had to stop at 19.

bds
July 20, 2013, 10:41 PM
rc, yes - just goes to show you can't be too careful. And I did shake the cases upside down BUT after they were tumbled as I figured they were once-fired new Starline brass by me. I didn't consider SOMEBODY leaving a 380 case in the tumbling media ... I wonder who that was? :rolleyes:

Walkalong, wish my reloading room closet looked like that. Mine looks like couple of Claymore mines went off in there. I did buy a box of organizing bins ... but they are still in the box (Doh!) :D

Range report.

At least the range session was productive and without surprises. I loaded some 250 gr Berry's FP with 6.0 gr of Red Dot/Promo as reference and compared them to 8.7 gr Herco and 6.6 gr W231/HP-38 loads. Although they all shot well, friend who has the Henry rifle liked the 6.0 gr Red Dot/Promo load the best (I tried to tell him his W231/HP-38 shot groups were smaller but he liked the almost no recoil Promo load). There were many requests to shoot the rifle and we happily accommodated them.

Looking forward to loading up some lead loads when the bullets arrive.

I will be checking the cases more closely tonight. :D

Reefinmike
July 20, 2013, 11:41 PM
rc- eeek, sorting out your range brass to have a next of momma and baby spideys crawl out is the worst! Ive punched a hole through a fair share of 22 casings that made their way into a casing(usually 38spl). I dont usually visually critique each and every pistol casing before loading. I tumble em and after shaking the media out, ill kinda sift them into my brass tray. just by the sound of brass hitting others, its very easy to hear a steel case hidden under a sexy layer of brass plating or a cracked case, or a case that has a stone or mud packed in it. most the brass I pick up is laying on top of piles of 9mm and 40 so obstructions arent too common.

If you enjoyed reading about "Funny thing happened while depriming ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!