first 45's

PDA

trooks
July 20, 2013, 09:13 PM
Shot my first 45 reloads today. 230 gr. FMJ, 5.1 gr. of Universal powder. After some fine tuning they shot well, no jam ups. Just one problem, after the last round is fired, the slide does not lock open like in factory loads. Any advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "first 45's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 20, 2013, 09:31 PM
Not enough powder.

5.1 grains is the Starting load with a 230 jacketed bullet.

It produces very low pressure & recoil, and that right there is your problem.

Bump up the load to 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, or 5.6, and sooner or later, you will have enough recoil to where the slide will fully cycle and lock the slide open on the last shot.

rc

trooks
July 20, 2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks. Even as a beginner that's what I was thinking. Will bump it up. As a new reloader you have replied to all my questions. Thank you so much.

Reloadron
July 20, 2013, 11:42 PM
I am going to guess your 45 is a 1911 type. RC nailed the problem with the slide not locking back. You can certainly increase the loads, sort of like raising the bridge. As your gun is right now that is the problem.

However, you do have another option you can try for shooting light loads as in lower the river. Give this link a read. (http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/1911/a-guide-to-1911-recoil-springs-by-wilson-combat/) Depending on what you have using a lighter recoil spring may allow the slide to lock back using your lighter loads.

I change springs for loads on a regular basis. So you can raise the bridge or lower the river sort of so to speak. Just another suggestion. Really a matter of what the gun currently has installed.

Again, RC nailed the problem as it stands and increasing the loads will indeed solve the problem.

Ron

trooks
July 21, 2013, 05:05 PM
Problem solved. Increase my charge from 5.1 to 5.4. Slide locked open perfect on the last rounds. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "first 45's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!