1000 yard rifle shooting.

PDA

jim in Anchorage
July 21, 2013, 09:13 AM
Well it looks like I am going to have access to a 1000 yard range this year. Should be fun, new range just cut out of the woods. I have never shot beyond 300 meters before, so the question is will my 4.5x14 Leopold be adequate glass for this?

If you enjoyed reading about "1000 yard rifle shooting." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CharlieDeltaJuliet
July 21, 2013, 09:42 AM
It should do you fine Jim. I have a buddy that goes to Ohio every year and shoots 1000 yard competitions with a 3-15 Premier. He always does very well to boot. I prefer higher magnification, but 14x is pretty good at 1000.

jim in Anchorage
July 21, 2013, 10:08 AM
Well then I guess I'll be alright with 4.45x14. Really excited about this, here's the low down on the new range-http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/129452-1000-yd-range-becoming-a-reality?

03fatboy
July 21, 2013, 10:21 AM
Jim would love to have the room for a 1000 yard range but here in nebraska to many cows and corn to do it, limited to 200 yards.
Looks like it's going to be nice, you will have to post pic's when done

CharlieDeltaJuliet
July 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
Awesome article about the range. My dad and uncle are both in Fairbanks... I miss Alaska... Have fun Jim.

Mohave-Tec
July 21, 2013, 12:31 PM
You need one of these (not the rifle) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlgH8haqFy0)

allaroundhunter
July 21, 2013, 12:35 PM
I shoot out to 1,000 yards with 15x magnification and it does fine. Now, if you are looking to shoot a 10" target, it can be a little harder.

taliv
July 21, 2013, 12:57 PM
jim, the distance alone isn't the factor, but the distance in relation to target size.

if your target size is a 5' black bullseye on a white background, you can shoot that with iron sites. if your target is an E-type military silhouette that the snipers use which is friggin 40 inches tall, then yes, you can see it with a 10x scope. if your target is a brown p-dog on a brown background, then no, it would be a little challenging to see.

(point being, use the scope you have and just make the target big enough where you can see it. when you get to where you're hitting the center all the time and want more of a challenge, you can spend the $ on better glass)

nastynatesfish
July 21, 2013, 04:43 PM
Orr you can just get the iPhone adapter for your scope and zooooom in lol. I run 6.5-24x44 and a busnell elite 4.5-30x50. I like to be able to see but a 10x will suffice just won't be able to track your own strikes with it.

coloradokevin
July 22, 2013, 05:41 AM
Even if it wouldn't be the ideal choice for a purpose-built 1K yard rig, the magnification on your scope will be fine as long as you have a reliable/repeatable scope. I shoot a 3-20x Schmidt, but there are plenty of days when I can't even dial above 10x because of mirage.

We were shooting at a 10" steel plate at 800 yards recently on a range that often has bad mirage. I couldn't get my scope above 12x at all that day, lest the target be lost in a shimmering blur. I love the extra magnification when I can use it, but there have been days when I've had to go as low as 9x to actually get a clear view of my target.

if your target is a brown p-dog on a brown background, then no, it would be a little challenging to see.

Even with the best glass available, those p-dogs are a heck of a challenge to spot at those long distances (hitting them is an even greater challenge). Our resident range prairie dog colony sits between about 450-850 yards from the shooting line, so there's only a few of us who really give them much hunting pressure. As you can imagine, the population is a bit more dense as the distance increases from the shooting line. But, on a heavy mirage day it can be almost impossible to get those buggers beyond 600 yards... and a good portion of that problem stems from trying to pick them out form the terrain, get them ranged, and then shoot them before things change. It has been nicest for me in cool spring weather when the grass is green, the dogs are tan, and the mirage is minimal :)

lloveless
July 22, 2013, 12:13 PM
Jim in Anchorage, thanks for the info on the range. I attended an FNRA banquet last year in Barrow. It was a lot of fun to say the least. It is good to see what the money raised is doing. Good luck shooting at 1000 yds. Someday I'd like to try it.
ll

If you enjoyed reading about "1000 yard rifle shooting." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!