break away cord necklace for holsters?

PDA

JERRY
July 21, 2013, 12:50 PM
the stellarigs necklace holsters seem like a good way to carry a very small BUG but, the ball chain type necklace seems like it would rattle against the plastic holster or wear into the wearer's neck.....

what about some sort of poly cotton type necklace for this but has a breakaway point that's strong enough to withstand drawing the gun without breaking away?

what say you?

If you enjoyed reading about "break away cord necklace for holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
July 21, 2013, 01:11 PM
I would see it as an eternal battle of either being very careful to make sure it doesn't break when you don't want it to, or having it FAIL to break away when you really NEED it to, with someone trying to kill you, and you standing there looking like you are arguing with a bra.

There's also the process of practicing with it. Is it made in a way that you can safely and repeatedly practice drawing with it? When you draw, is it pointed at your chin?

dromel
July 21, 2013, 03:27 PM
I once had a 25 Colt Junior that came with a lanyard hole in the hammer. To carry it, I threaded about an 1 1/2" piece of Velcro through the hole, doubled it over an supper glued the two halves. At the other end, I started out with a whistle lanyard, but found it uncomfortable in the SE Florida heat and switched to a plain white athletic shoe string. I did the same procedure with the matching piece of Velcro and adjusted the length of my "necklace" until the pistol hung down to the V of my chest. I found through trial/error that approx. 1/4 to 3/8" overlap on the Velcro was enough to secure the pistol, but if I drew it and sharply extended my arm there was enough resistance to cock the hammer before it broke free.
If you try this system, be sure and practice with an empty gun and finger OFF the trigger, or you will end up with a slam fire!
This was a good carry for riding a bike, power walking or just running to the store with a button sport shirt or a tank top. It was very comfortable.
I had one CCW incident with it, but that is another story.

Texan Scott
July 21, 2013, 03:56 PM
To answer the question you asked: Paracord. Remove the internal filaments and use the outer shell to sleeve the chain. Seal the cut ends with a lighter if you want, but not to each other- leave a slight gap as the break-away point. Position that a couple inches above the hanging object (not looped through the kydex, and not up near your neck).

To answer the question you DIDN'T ask: No, I wouldn't. :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "break away cord necklace for holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!