Case vs Blackjack

PDA

alsask
July 24, 2013, 01:49 AM
:) Ordered a Case leather handled hunter in 440HC and a Blackjack Pilot leather handled #16 in A-2. Should be here in a week or so.

I want to do a comparison between the two steels, and knives, for everyday use. I like the looks of both knives.

Should be interesting, it feels like Christmas is arriving soon!

If you enjoyed reading about "Case vs Blackjack" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
July 24, 2013, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't compare the two, but you may find you like one better than the other. Remember that the steel isn't the only part of the equation for performance. If the two knives don't have the same grind you will not see "apples to apples".

On their website BJK 15 has the serrations and the 16 doesn't. The 16 isn't listed as coming in leather on their website, but they've been known to not always follow the website for their offerings.

Which Case did you order?

alsask
July 24, 2013, 03:11 PM
hso
The Case is the model 386 leather hunter. I realize the Case has the hollow grind style as opposed to the traditional convex like the the Blackjack. I wish I could have found a local Randall dealer, but maybe that is just as well, as I pretty much blown my budget for now.

I checked out Blackjacks website, and like you said, they don't list the 16 with the stacked leather handle. I ordered the knife through Amazon and it said model 16 with the stacked leather handle. I guess I will find out when it comes in the mail.

hso
July 24, 2013, 04:17 PM
Be sure to stone the edges on both with the same grit before starting your tests.

Coat the BJK blade with a quality rust protectant as well. I like any of the wax based products (heck, even a high cornuba floor wax works well).

alsask
July 25, 2013, 09:09 PM
+1 on the wax treatment for carbon steel blades. I do that for bayonets in my collection and the few Mora knives I have. I have been using Johnsons Paste Wax.

I found out that they do sell leather washer handled BJ knives. You have to googgle Jet Pilot model 16L and the leather handle one comes up. I was worried I might get shipped the micarta one. Nothing against micarta handles but I wanted the leather washer type.

Deltaboy
July 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
Looking forward to the Test results.

alsask
July 29, 2013, 08:16 PM
Deltaboy

I ordered the knives through Amazon. The Case was aparently out of stock and is on backorder. The Blackjack is supposed to be here by early August.

Originally I was going to get a Randall but could not find any dealers in Canada plus I had not realized what the price would be. Looking for Randalls is how I discovered the Blackjack line.

If you enjoyed reading about "Case vs Blackjack" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!