no way, man, that is such rubbish!

PDA

interlock
July 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
hi guys,
here is a two part question for our entertainment.

part 1. What story have you been told by fellow hunters that make you say "no way, that's rubbish"

Part 2. what has happenned to you that you almost daren't tell your hunting mates about because they will say "no way, man, that's Rubbish"

for me Part 1.

From one of my hunting buddies "I was out in my real tree suit when i sat down for a minute and a doe came up and sniffed my elbow."

part 2

I shot this deer with a broadside chest shot, the bullet exits the front of the chest and hits it's buddy in the back of the head and kills it. 90deg deflection.

No way, man, thats rubbish!

(editted):)

If you enjoyed reading about "no way, man, that is such rubbish!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Atom Smasher
July 24, 2013, 12:31 PM
I had a guy send me pictures of a deer he "shot the heart out of". Basically he said that the heart had blown completely out the side- in reality he had cut the heart out and enlarged the exit wound to make it look like the heart had blown out. :rolleyes:

MtnCreek
July 24, 2013, 01:24 PM
My favorites are the perfect head and neck shots. Mine was a 200+ yds neck shot right where the neck meets the head. This was with an open sight 30-30. I'll let you guess where I was aiming...

Buddy called me one morning to tell me all about his perfect ~300yd head shot. He showed me some pictures and sure enough it was about as dead center head as you could get. He's a 'master hunter'; shot it from his back deck (would not confirm, but I'm highly suspicious he was wearing boxers-only at the time). It took a little prying, but he finally admitted to POA.

I know a couple stories a little more to your point, but they're probably best not posted... :)

DeepSouth
July 24, 2013, 02:09 PM
Part 1:
I met a Snow bird once that was, in his words, "a decent hunter" he didn't have a place to hunt as he had just moved here. I could tell talking to him he wasn't a very experienced hunter, he couldn't ever remember off hand what caliaber his 1 rifle was.
Well I have a few places to hunt, some of which are on power and pipe lines and can be fairly long shots. So I asked him how far he would be comfortable shooting, he replied...." OH, I don't know, probably around 1000 yards.":what: I said "you mean 100?" He looked at me dead serious, and said "No, I mean 1000"
I do know people who can get a 5 shot group inside of 6" at 1000 yards, but he ain't one of them, and the ones I know would never hunt at that range.

An even better one is a guy I worked with told me once that he shot a deer with a 30-06 and the bullet passed through the deer and hit a broken disk blade then ricocheted back at him and he "caught it" in his teeth. :rolleyes:
To be honest this guy lied like a rug about everything so this wasn't really out of character for him.

As far as part two:
It's not so much a hunting story as a unbelievable deer story. I was about 17 at home working on my beloved 65 Mustang when my Beagal started barking. I looked up to see him chasing a med sized doe over a hill in the pasture, no big deal, it's a deer, he was a Beagle. Well a shortly after that the barking stopped and started back, when I looked up I saw a med sized doe chasing my dog. :what:

Oh, it gets even better. My dog ran all the way to the shed I was under and ran under my dads boat, the doe in pursuit tight behind ran all the way up to the shed jumped over the disks attached to the back of the John Deere.
Then she was close to the boat but still in front of it, between the disks and my mustang, probably 10' from me. I was steeping backwards to find cover, lol.

Then she turns and runs out of the shed, which is open on 3 sides, only a back wall. So I'm thinking this is nuts, at least she's gone now BUT the stupid Beagle went after her again. He doesn't get far, maybe 25-30 yards then the doe turns stands on her back feet and comes down with her front two and starts beating my dog.
Me, being stupid myself, didn't want to see my dog killed, which is what it looked and sounded like, run toward them hollering and screaming like a loon and when I was about 20 feet away the deer jumps up, stares me down like she about to attack ME :eek: and then runs off, for good this time. My dog did lived another 8 years after that and I can't ever remember seeing him chase ANYTHING else.

I basically don't tell anyone I actually know this story, I wouldn't ever believe it. I remember when my dad came home from work I told him and didn't even believe me until we walked outside and he saw deer tracks right between my mustang and disks on the tractor, stunningly to me he inspected my dog and didn't find any major injuries, a few minor ones but that is normal for a outside Beagle. It looked like he was about get beat slam to death.
I should add ALL of this took place in about 1-2 mins

From one of my hunting buddies "I was out in my real tree suit when i sat down for a minute and a doe came up and sniffed my elbow."

I can ALMOST believe that because once my grand parents gave me some apple scented deer attractant of some sort for Christmas and I was on the ground by a tree and had put some of it out here and there when I noticed it said not to put on metal so being mischievous and curious I had to put some on metal. :D There was an old diet coke can near by so I grabbed it and put a dab on it. I watched it and it did nothing, I smelled it.... Nothing. So I tossed it out of my way. A little while later a little yearling walked right in front of me maybe 20 feet away circled around and put her nose right to the can which was slightly over arms length away, I mean 4 feet probably. Funny thing was she appeared to be looking straight in my eyes, I tried to turn my head just a little and duh she took off like lightning.

I blame all typos on the iPhone auto correct.

CoRoMo
July 24, 2013, 02:32 PM
This is going to be a great thread!

I'll have to ponder this a bit because I know a few very ridiculous liars but I don't immediately recall a great deal of extraordinary experiences that I've had.

Patocazador
July 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
I killed a deer in the morning and our club had a one deer/day rule so I went fishing in the afternoon. While walking from my 4-wheeler to a hidden beaver pond with my pole and tackle box, I sensed something following me. I assumed it was a coyote smelling my clothes that I wore skinning and dressing the deer. I turned and it was a fawn. It followed me to the pond and as I was fishing from shore, it got between my legs and almost tripped me when I was reeling in a fish. After I caught about 6 fish, I headed back through the woods with the fawn right behind me. It allowed me to look under its tail to confirm that it was a buck fawn. I started up my 4-wheeler and revved the engine like crazy to chase it away but it wouldn't budge. Finally, I threw pine cones and small sticks at it to chase it away.
When I got back to camp, everyone told me I was full of it or was smoking pot. None of them believed me ... and I wouldn't have believed anyone if they told me the story but it did happen.

slicksleeve
July 24, 2013, 04:54 PM
A guy who lived a few miles from me told that if I saw "a doe with an orange cow tag in her ear, don't shoot it, I raised her." He then told me that he had went hunting one day, and petted the doe before climbing up into his stand. A few minutes later, the doe walks back with a buck following her, and he shot the buck. I had other neighbors tell me that he did in fact raise an orphaned doe, but nobody could verify the buck story. I still wonder about it.

MtnCreek
July 24, 2013, 05:28 PM
the doe walks back with a buck following her, and he shot the buck.

So your lab is the best retriever in the county, you ain't seen my doe... :) That's so great I hope it is true.

slicksleeve
July 24, 2013, 06:33 PM
True or not, it does kind of make you want to try it, don't it?

Double_J
July 24, 2013, 06:51 PM
I heard a story about a guy who "head-shot" a deer at 50 yards with an open sighted blackhawk in .44 mag. I really didn't believe him as he was also "on the presidents personal sniper team" and some other garbage. He did 4 years active duty in the army as an 11 Bravo (infantryman) and had a hard time qualifying with an m-16. He was always a bit over the top with his stories.

I also know of a friend who was setting up a food plot for the deer season. He went out and saw a huge hog that was tearing it up. He went home and got his 12 ga. slug gun, 6 slugs, butchering kit and a tarp. He set up a pile of bait for porky the next day, and put all 6 slugs in the pig's chest. He was then quickly chased up a tree, where he stayed for about 30 minutes while the pig waited to die. He said there was NOTHING left of any internal organs when he dressed the pig out, but the stupid pig did not know he was dead. I have seen the pictures of the pig and it was a mess, so I don't doubt the truth to this one.

Sol
July 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
The deer sniffing thing is believable. I always hear about how challenging deer hunting is, but from the literaly hundreds of encounters I have had with deer, having one come within a foot or two isn't uncommon. Maybe they are semi-domesticated.

PonyKiller
July 25, 2013, 12:28 AM
the only good story I have is two years ago a small doe came out of the reeds about 75yds from me. I hear the ruckus turn and look, straight down the barrel of my slug gun. She comes directly at me at a trot. I watch as it passes within a few feet of me. I see every detail of the fur, lips ears elbows everything as it cruises by and never sees me. within arms reach and off into the distance. I could hear it breath smell it and observed it the whole way by. It was buck season, and a hunting club was moving in near me and flushed it out. She was tops 50lbs, it was buck season, and even if it were I couldn't pull the trigger on something that small.

joeschmoe
July 25, 2013, 02:17 AM
I'm amazed how many people I know who have taken 1200 yard shots to kill a deer or elk. Offhand with factory ammo of course. Its especially impressive since this is a densely wooded mountain area with almost no 1200 yard line of sight alleys. All claim they have never had a gut or ass shot. Or miss.

jmr40
July 25, 2013, 11:06 AM

Never had one sniff my elbow, but I've been close enough to does twice that I could have reached out and touched them, less than 3' before they realized what I was. I have had a squirrel actually place his front feet on the toe of a boot. Once while walking to a beaver swamp well before dawn with a full moon I had a bobcat come within kicking distance. I'm guessing he heard my brother and I walking, hoped we were a small deer and sat in ambush beside the trail. When he realised we were human he ran from the brush less than 2' from my right leg.

I shot this deer with a broadside chest shot, the bullet exits the front of the chest and hits it's buddy in the back of the head and kills it. 90deg deflection.

I've never done it, but know multiple guys who have taken 2 deer with one shot.

brainwake
July 25, 2013, 11:24 AM
Just last year, I had a spike come right up to me. He was within about 10 feet staring right at me. I was thinking. Nah...not gonna shoot him. Then I made a small movement and I guess he figured out that I was something dangerous. He yelped, kind of flopped and jumped, then turned 180 degrees and skipped about 5 feet. Then he just stood there, like. Well, I can't see him anymore, so I guess I must be safe. I laughed out loud. Then he proceeded to walk off.

zdc1775
July 25, 2013, 11:54 AM
I have heard, mostly from old guys when I was a kid, stories about jumping out of the barn onto the backs of deer as they came up to eat feed that was left out for them, the 1000 yard shots, and white tail the size of elk in Alabama.

Myself, well when I was about 9 or so I was walking into the stand with my step-father and was carrying my shotgun and a 357 revolver that he always carried to deliver a coup de gras loaded with light 38s when I saw a small 6 point in the clearing ahead and asked if I could shoot it, when he said yes I just smiled and slowly turned then did my best Lone Ranger impersonation with that revolver. Hit the deer right between the ear and eye at an almost perfect broadside. Deer dropped in its tracks. My one and only handgun deer to date.
I have also had a squirrel that woke me from a light sleep last year while I was in my climbing stand when he climbed over my head.

DeepSouth
July 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
I have heard, mostly from old guys when I was a kid, stories about jumping out of the barn onto the backs of deer as they came up to eat feed that was left out for them, the 1000 yard shots, and white tail the size of elk in Alabama

The state record was killed in my county, I think itwas 93'.

http://halesmith.net/files/2012/05/joegandybuck.jpg

I remember once when I was a kid my dad was selling hay to a local drunk who looked up at his large Canadian elk mount and said (slurred is probably more accurate) he had seen it cross the road about 3 miles away, my dad didn't argue, just said "oh really"

I blame typos on iPhones auto correct. :D

morcey2
July 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
I have heard enough 700-yard-running-offhand-shot stories to last me the rest of my life. Or a 6" diameter exit wound from a 300 yard shot at a mule deer with a 22-250 with a varmint type bullet.

My own is actually my dad's. He took a 200+ yard lob shot with a 22 LR at a coyote just to spook it and he hit it in the head. I was there to see it. No aiming or anything, just angled it in the general direction and pulled the trigger.

Matt

sixgunner455
July 26, 2013, 02:59 PM
"That's rubbish"?

Most of my friends would look at me strangely if I said that, and they certainly wouldn't say it themselves. :D

I love regional/national language variations, though. I'd probably say it, just to get a reaction.

Friend of mine shot a javelina with a .223 AR. One 50gr bullet. Killed the one behind it, too.

alsaqr
July 26, 2013, 03:32 PM
Every year i track wounded deer and elk for other hunters. Sometimes track hogs too. The biggest lie is: "I don't understand why the (circle one) deer elk did not fall, I double lunged it".

Patocazador
July 26, 2013, 05:33 PM
Every year i track wounded deer and elk for other hunters. Sometimes track hogs too. The biggest lie is: "I don't understand why the (circle one) deer elk did not fall, I double lunged it".
Translation: "I double gut shot it".

osprey176
July 26, 2013, 07:43 PM
I was hunting with a former brother-in-law some years back.He was not much of a hunter,or a very good shot.We saw a large hog moving across a pasture a LONG way off.He lays his rifle across a fence post, and before I could suggest we move closer,takes a shot.The hog drops like a rock.Unbelievable!When we get to the dead hog,he leans over it and says"Yep,right where I was aiming." Yeah right!

grubbylabs
July 26, 2013, 08:22 PM
The only time I get near a while tail hunting is when they sneak up behind me blow snot down the back of my shirt and then run away.:fire:

The best story I have that I think people are suspicious of is a doe I spine shot from the ground. I was walking up a trail on my way to a water hole and hoping to see an elk. I looked up and found my self standing in the middle of a herd of does. So I figured I should shoot one. I chose the one that was right smack in front of me, and broad side at about 35 yards. She was staring right at me when I drew back and let go. As soon as she herd the bow she dropped and spun fast and hard to her right. The arrow got to her just as she was facing me and went right threw her spine and cut the main artery just under the spine. She dropped dead facing up the trail with her but towards me. I just stood their slack jawed because it was not at all what I expected to happen. And seeing a deer just flop over dead like that from an arrow was real surprising. But it was nice to be able to harvest the front quarters with out any damage to them.

armedandsafe
July 27, 2013, 01:11 AM
I was out with a friend, harvesting Spruce Grouse when we saw a little yearling moose, about 25-30 yards up the road. My friend upped with his .22 Magnum, but didn't fire. I shouldered and fired, aiming for a hit just behind the head. I was figuring a good hit, or a clean miss. The moose went down, dead on the spot.

My rifle was a little BSA Martini action in 32-20, pushing 85 grain hollow points at about 1400fps. Only those who were there ever believed I took my first moose with a 32-20.

Pops

interlock
July 27, 2013, 05:45 AM
"That's rubbish"?

the mods asked me to edit the original post which was had bull droppings. in the colloquial.

there are some super stories amongst this!

WayBeau
July 27, 2013, 09:56 AM
I grew up hunting ducks and geese on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and have seen things happen that are beyond belief. Like the time I was hunting with my Dad and the weather was terrible for ducks, bright and sunny and about 60 degrees (that usually equates to zero ducks where we hunt). Dad had gotten to the point of absolute frustration and decided to call it a day. So he climbs out of the blind ditches his coat exposing his bright white under-shirt. He's standing in about mid-calf depth water when about 20 mallards came barreling into our decoy spread, one of which almost landed on his head. I was in such disbelief that not a single duck fell from that group.

Fast forward to last fall, Dad and I are at the sporting clays range. It was a nice day so there were a bunch of people on out shooting. We walked up to a doubles station and had to wait on the group ahead of us. So this clown gets up there who looks like this might be the first time he's ever fired a gun. He cries, "pull" and the clays fly. 'BOOM!', both clays explode. Ole boy turns around with a grin from ear to ear, as anyone would. Then he opens his mouth, "Yeah, that was easy. I mean, one time when I was shooting geese out in Arkansas we had a flock come in and I got four with one shot.":what: He said all this with a completely straight face.

Dad and I looked at each other and both just shrugged.

grubbylabs
July 27, 2013, 11:55 AM
That's duck hunting for you, we don't go into the decoy spread without taking a shot gun, we have leaned that as soon as you leave the blind or hit the middle of the decoy spread to fix that one decoy, you are going to get dive bombed by a flight of ducks.

apparently it is against their rules to look at them while they circle, but its ok to walk through the decoys, just don't look at them.

ID-shooting
July 27, 2013, 12:10 PM
Part one: the all popular story about the deer/elk that was hit with one shot, hit the ground, only to stand back up when the shooter got close. Usually found later the said cervine was merely hit on the antler and only knocked out for a minute. I have never seen this happen but hear the same theme many a time in hunt camp.

Part two: growing up in Idaho, and in the mountains of Idaho at that, we used to tag out, on opening day, less than two miles from home. Pop, brother, and I. Before the huge influx of people in the 90's, we used to be able to keep an eye on the herds. Know which valleys and draws they were in. Park near by, walk in at dawn, each pick one, do a three-count, fire one round each, go home with 300+ pounds of venison for the year. Now, with for too many people and these vile wolves, getting skunked the entire season is the likely outcome.

wankerjake
July 27, 2013, 12:25 PM
1. I tend not to hunt with BS-ers and when I hear what I believe is a lie I tend to not remember it having discounted it as...rubbish. When I was a kid though, I don't remember who told the story but it was a man and he was talking about a story that his dad supposedly lived. Something to the effect of:
"My dad shot a deer one time and it ran out of sight over a steep hill with some rock ledges. When he got to the hill he could see the buck down there below and dad was straight above him on the ledge. So he pulled his knife and hopped on his back like a horse and procedded to slit its throat." Of course there was some parralells to bull riding and he got a little beat up but got the job done nonetheless. Then, of course, they found his original buck dead of a gunshot wound and he had killed this other previously healthy buck with a knife and his bare hands. And, of course, they were both nice bucks.:rolleyes: Nothing unbelievable about that story, right?:barf:

2. One time I was archery deer hunting and could see a small herd of elk (8-10 cows and calves) feeding towards me through the forest so I just sat down and leaned back on a rock to watch them with my bow to my side. I'll be darned if they didn't feed right to me and I ended up in the herd! The main herd passed me on my right but one cow lagged back and litterally fed right to me. Like to my feet. As this was happening, 2 calves came over from the herd and were directly to my right. The wind was such that they could probably smell me but the cow in front of me could not. They were young calves and I was only watching them from my peripheral vision because I couldn't move my head, but I could tell they were getting nervous as to what I was. One of them all but touched its nose to my dangling shirt sleeve. They were hemming and hawing about what to do and walked a few yards away but mom was totally oblivious, eating furiously at my feet. At this point I was not feeling too good about being directly between 2 elk calves and a grown cow that were no more than 5 yards apart. The cow was feeding directly at my feet, I could see her eyelashes and see the breath from her nose moving pine needles and oak leaves. I could hear her chewing. I could have kicked her in the face with my boot. As soon as she took a step parallel to me she caught a whiff of me and she startled and jumped a few yards away. It was enough to make her get back to the herd although I still don't think she saw me. My body was getting pretty tired from staying so still for like 10-15 minutes and after awhile I sat up and got up to leave. As I turned around the cow was jumping over the fence that was ~50 yards behind me and that's where the rest of the herd was. They all just stared at me, like they were plumb amazed that I just appeared out of nowhere. They let me walk away, they didn't run. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever done out in the woods. I doubt I'll ever get that close to an elk again.

buck460XVR
July 27, 2013, 12:34 PM
This is a story that has been repeated at least once during every deer season in my family for as long as I can remember. While the cast have long been gone, the story, at least in our family lives on.

Back in the late 40's, my parents and grandfather were hunting whitetails on my granddad's farm in rural Wisconsin. As usual, at the end of the day they made a "the push" around "Peanut Hill" to my mom on the way to pick her up for the walk home. After hearing gunshots, my dad and grandfather approached my mom walking up and down a deer trail lookin' for blood. When the reached her she told them this amazing story of a small fawn, still with spots with a huge set of antlers, still in velvet that basically walked up to her. She watched it for several minutes wonderin' if it was even legal to shoot, but remembered the regs said "one antler at least three inches in length", so she raised the old '97 and sent a slug at it. A few small drops of blood in the snow revealed she had indeed hit the deer and they tracked it till dark until they lost the trail in the nearby swamp. My dad and gramps didn't really believe the story of the fawn with spots sporting a huge set of antlers, but the story soon spread and became the talk of the town. One day the owner from the "dude ranch" next door stopped by the farm and said he had heard of the sighting of a "strange" deer from the owner of the local feed mill. He then told my grandpa that he had recently had some Axis deer escape from captivity and they looked similar to what my mother had shot at. He then told gramps that the deer had been captured the next day after they escaped, and one of the buck's had been grazed across the back by a hunter. You have to realize that back in the 40's the majority of folks living in rural Wisconsin had not ever heard of an Axis deer, much less seen one. It was a tough piece of crow pie my dad and gramps had to swallow. Later on, when the buck dropped it's antlers, the neighbor gave them to my mom as a souvenir and were forever after known as "the little one that got away".

loose noose
July 28, 2013, 04:49 PM
Up in N/E Wisconsin, I remember my Dad telling me about "Crazy Albert Scwartz" who used to hunt deer with a knife, sitting in an old oak tree. When the deer would come under him he would jump on it's back and slit the deers throat with his knife. Now my Dad passed away about 20 years ago so I never did think to ask if this was a true story or not, knowing my Dad as I did I would think not.:D

bad_aim_billy
July 28, 2013, 06:54 PM
The dumbest "hunting" story I've ever heard was from a guy who claimed to have hit a huge bull elk with a .17 HMR at 600 yards through a truck window. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Weirdest woods story for me was when I was a kid, chasing a flock of turkeys on foot being led by a huge Peacock. No, I have no idea why I was chasing them, no, I never caught any of them, and no, I don't have any idea why a Peacock had taken up with a flock of turkeys. Just very bizarre all the way around.

Patocazador
July 28, 2013, 07:05 PM
The dumbest "hunting" story I've ever heard was from a guy who claimed to have hit a huge bull elk with a .17 HMR at 600 yards through a truck window. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Why was the elk in a truck? ;)

morcey2
July 29, 2013, 02:12 AM
Why was the elk in a truck? ;)
He was making the beer run for deer camp.

Davek1977
July 29, 2013, 05:33 AM
I can't think of any examples of #1 right off hand, but #2 certainly. This past deer season, I made a PERFECT headshot on a trophy mule deer buck. We're talking instant kill, dead before he hit the ground. Would have made an awesome story....if I wasn't attempting a standard shoulder shot under the influence of buck fever unlike any case I've had in the last 15 years LOL. I was shocked to see the deer collapse so hard, and even more shocked when I actually found the bullet hole. A pretty major "oopsy"....but I've never flubbed a shot so perfectly!

clamman
July 29, 2013, 01:13 PM
I don't have a hunting story, but I DO have a "getting ready for hunting" story.
I was in K Mart once looking at hunting supplies. I picked up a bottle of red fox urine, and while I was reading it the bottle slipped out of my hands and busted on the floor. The only thing I really remember more than anything else is this lady with a cart hauling butt AWAY from me. Man I left the area post haste:eek::eek::eek:

ironworkerwill
July 30, 2013, 09:55 PM
Th yarn we'es told as youngins was the folks that lived by Lost Creek bridge had a boy fond of swimmin. After hours of his bein late for supper the search for the kid was on. After searchin all nite, the neighbors an such gave up an called the authorities. The followin day the body was found neath the bridge with hundrerds of Cottonmouth bites an a few wus still attached.

I'm sure my family told this story to stop us kids from swimming without grown folks around.

As a boy I did see a very large diamondback dead floating in that creek. I'll say that snake was better than 6 feet long and 7 inches in diameter. I've repeated that story for 25 years and no one believes me. James, a coworker of mine, has also heard the same tale (rolling his eyes in disbelief). James and I were on the ride home from work recently and noticed a rather large diamondback ran over in the road. At a distance I thought it was a dog as an other motorist was poking it with a stick. Upon passing by the scene James offered an apology. The snake we saw dead and mangled was nearly as long as I had stated and larger in girth.

Davek1977
July 31, 2013, 04:41 AM
Part one: the all popular story about the deer/elk that was hit with one shot, hit the ground, only to stand back up when the shooter got close. Usually found later the said cervine was merely hit on the antler and only knocked out for a minute. I have never seen this happen but hear the same theme many a time in hunt camp.

I've been there and done that in regards to this story. When I was about 15 or so, I got it in my head that I was going to hunt deer with my SKS. I actually did hrvest several mule deer in a 3-4 year period with it, but one story stands out. Dad dropped three of us off at various branches of a canyon system, and proceeded to maneuver to the bottom where the 3 branches converged to block. Shortly after I started walking, a nice mule deer buck trotted out below me about 75 yards or so. I took careful aim, squeezed, and the deer went rolling down into the bottom of the canyon. I thought for sure I'd find him there, and worst case scenario, Dad could pick him off as he exited the canyon. Well, I got to the bottom, and not only no deer, but no sign of blood, etc. I finished walking out the canyon and asked dad why he didn't shoot the buck that had tpo have come out. "Well, son, there were three deer that came out of the draw....two does, and one decent buck....but he only had antlers on one side!" "Well, dad, when I SHOT him, he had both horns!!" Appearently, I shot him in the antler and it hit with enough force to send him rolling. However, dad aid he showed NO signs of any other injury as he made his escape. Another time, I shot a mule deer buck, only to see him start shaking his head, rubbing it on the ground momentarily, before taking off. I followed, thinking I had to have made a hit, and got another shot, which did exactly what it was supposed to......my first shot, however, created a perfect hole right though his right ear......

Coyote3855
August 2, 2013, 10:56 AM
Jack O'Conner reported shooting a deer "between the hams" that was running directly away from him. He said the shot placement was so perfect that there was no evidence of the entry wound. He didn't claim to have done it on purpose. I grew up reading O'Conner in Outdoor Life and have many of his books. I believe the story.

flipajig
August 2, 2013, 11:32 AM
Best one I've heard I think was that a bullet mushrooms before it hits the animal.
We all have amazing story's of shots made or things that happen in the woods throught the years. One I saw was a shot on a mule deer I don't remember the distance but I'm shoure it was over 100 yds the deer was bounding through high grass so that when it was down on the ground you couldn't see it and when you could see it all you could see was his head and part of his neck. Garry timed the shot and when the deer didn't come back up we knew something had happend. When we recoverd the deer the bullet went in one eye and out the other. Garry said that he had missed!! What the bullet went in one eye and out the other what could be better than that. Garry said that he was aiming for his ears.
Gary shot a 3006 with a peep sight Garry is gone now but he knew his rifle and he could shoot.
Flip

Art Eatman
August 2, 2013, 12:04 PM
My father told the story of a lady who was hunting on the ranch with my father and a few others. She shot a buck and tied the tag on. The buck jumped up and ran--and jumped the fence into a neighboring ranch where a couple of hunters saw the buck and one of them shot and killed it.

As they're walking toward the buck, here came the lady, screaming, "That's my buck! That's my buck!"

"What do you mean, it's your buck? I just shot and killed it!"

"It has my tag on it!"

Sure enough, there was the tag.

"Dang, lady. Anybody who can run that fast deserves a deer."

Patocazador
August 2, 2013, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=flipajig;9047501]Best one I've heard I think was that a bullet mushrooms before it hits the animal. /QUOTE]
Actually, this happened to me. A doe I shot with a Nosler Partition had a huge entrance wound. I was baffled until I saw the shredded grape vine that was in the line of fire.

Mat, not doormat
August 4, 2013, 03:55 AM
As soon as people find out that I'm "into guns," they all have to start telling me about 1000 yard shots they've made, etc. I guess they think they're gonna impress me.

Mine was last year's bow season. There was a little field mouse rooting around, about 5 or 6 yards behind the place I was standing. This little thing was making a quite a bit of noise, and every time it did, I'd turn around to look. But really, that's more movement than you really want when you're just standing on the ground, so i decided to ignore it. After a while, I hear more noise behind me, and resolutely decide to stay still. Eventually, I decide that this is more noise than any mouse has a right to make, so, rather irritated, I turn to look. Being irritated, I turned kinda quick, which was unfortunate. This time it wasn't the mouse, but seven or eight does. The leader was about eight yards away when they bugged out. I watched 'em go over my pins, but I didn't want to clean up the mess of a Texas heart shot, and they didn't stop or turn til they got to about 70 yards.

I guess that's less a rubbish story than just embarrassing, admitting that the hunter got snuck up on by the deer.

WayBeau
August 5, 2013, 12:30 PM
I guess that's less a rubbish story than just embarrassing, admitting that the hunter got snuck up on by the deer.

Embarrassing? HA! I get snuck up on all the time. I'd throw a 'that's rubbish' at anyone who claims they've never been snuck up on. It's whether or not they bust you. Again, I invite anyone to claim they've never been busted.

KMatch
August 5, 2013, 01:15 PM
Been busted twice! By hogs. Hunting out of our Jeep, we'd focus on the feeder at the woodline and just happen to shine the spot near us and run them off from 50 ft away. Twice...

My "that never happened" shot was with a 30.06 I inherited. There was a bird in flight about 100 yards away. I called the shot then hit it. In case you call BS on that one, I did too after I did it! But, it happened regardless.

beeenbag
August 5, 2013, 04:33 PM
I had a guy tell me once, that he only hunted squirrels with 22 shorts because he could get under a nest and shoot up into it lifting the squirrels out of the nest and knocking them to the ground with the shorts. He said that a short done this, but a 22 lr would just pass right through and kill them in the nest and you could never get them out. Followed up by an affirming "Daddy showed me that trick years ago".

part 2. I was around 14 or 15 years old and was deer hunting with a muzzleloader. A decent little buck showed up and I flipped into buck fever, I had never killed a buck before this. I took aim, but was bouncing all over the place, the shot went off and the buck went down, partially. The buck started pulling itself down hill with its front two legs, I knew I had hit it high and by the time I reloaded my muzzleloader the buck had pulled itself over a 15-18 foot drop off. I didn't want the deer to suffer so I rush down to wear it had fallen over the rock and was going to finish it off in a hurry. When I got to the small cliff, to my suprise, the buck jumped up on all fours and dashed through the brush. I tracked it a little ways but the blood was few and far between and thinned as I tracked. I never did find that deer, nor did I hear of anyone else ever finding it. I think I may have just skinned across its back, temporarily paralyzing it.

Officers'Wife
August 5, 2013, 05:06 PM
When I was about 12 or 13 my Dad was harvesting corn in a field next to a ditch. Two locals were poised and ready on the ditchbank with muzzle loaders waiting for the combine to scare out the "legend buck" that every redneck in three counties had been trying to harvest for at least three years.

As the two watched the corn in front of the combine, the deer walked slowly down the bank on the other side of the ditch even stopping to graze from time to time. Would you believe one of the guys actually had the nerve to shush me when I started giggling? I'm glad I didn't tell them! Glad I say!!!

coloradokevin
August 7, 2013, 03:12 AM
#1) A coworker of mine claims he one-shotted a coyote broadside while it was at a dead run at 875 yards. This was also reportedly accomplished from a standing position with his .30-06 deer rifle. I've seen him shoot. This did not happen. I almost pushed the issue by asking what his elevation correction and lead were for this shot, but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Bush Pilot
August 8, 2013, 10:19 PM
A few years ago a friend and I drew tags for Montana antelope. During a pre- season scouting trip we starting hiking up a game trail and spotted a huge antelope buck walking down the same trail at us. I motioned my friend to sit down and not move. Within a few minutes the buck not only walked up to us but starting sniffing us. He eventually walked (not running) away like we were just another rock. During the season neither one of us shot anything close to him in size.

My doctor shot two spike bull elk in Montana a few years ago and didn't realize he'd done so until his hunting partner noticed the other elk laying a few yards away. The second guy ended up tagging the "extra" bull.

ljnowell
August 8, 2013, 10:24 PM
Ok. A story that if it would have been told by anyone other than my Dad, I would not have believed.

My Dad was deer hunting with his 870 a few years back, had two tags and Antler and an Antlerless tag. Getting near dark he sees a doe come out in the field about 50 yards away. She stops and starts grazing. He waits a few minutes to make sure there arent more, but doesnt want to miss his shot, last day of season. He lines up and takes her down with one shot.

It seemed clean so he waited in the stand for a few minutes knowing we would hear his shot and come to him anyway. While waiting a buck comes out, very large(when we butchered we weighed and field dressed he went 201lbs! 15pts!). He walks out to the doe, sniffs her, then gets down on the ground and starts mounting her. My dad sat in disbelief watching this. The buck got up, circled her a few times sniffing, and got down and went at it again. By now my dad had regained his composure and shot the big boy.

This deer hangs in my Dads front room mounted on a backer of the state of IL with a small brass tag on it that reads "Happy." We couldnt think of a better name.

Icky The Great
August 8, 2013, 11:38 PM
Part 1- I hear alot of the stories that go... the buck was at a full run and I leveled down on it and squeezed the trigger. This wasn't my first buck at 800+ yards. For some reason most of these are from older men.

Part 2 - I was in witness to this but still do not believe it. My good friend's family and I were hunting their land, mostly swamp surrounded by farm fields. I was 25 yards in woods watching a large land bridge through a particularly nasty tangle. I had about 100-130 yard deep area about 50 yards across. He was behind me to my left. I turned because I haven't heard him spit (he chews) for near 2 minutes. Just as I turned he leaned against the tree and scoped something out in the field. He uses a Rem #7 in 7mm-08. He touched off a round, spit his plug and took a swig of water then ejected the casing. I casually asked it he shot a woodchuck and he said very matter of factly, "Nope. Doe." We later measured the shot as 213 yards. Her head was split like a ripe melon. I commented "Ya shot her in the head?!" His reply was "Didn't want to bruise the meat."

osprey176
August 9, 2013, 12:30 AM
The old story about a woman's first hunting trip goes something like:The husband puts his wife in a good spot and moves down the trail a little ways.After a while,he hears a shot from her direction.Hollering follows and he heads toward the ruckus."It's MY DEER! It's MY DEER!!"he hears her scream.A male voice replies"Okay,it's your deer lady,just let me get my saddle off it."

Jason_W
August 9, 2013, 06:23 PM
I don't know if this is an unbelievable hunting story, but it certainly was my most awkward ever hunting trip:

I had just graduated college and moved back home to where I grew up in Northeastern Vermont. One beautiful fall day I was out hunting partridge on a long abandoned logging road, miles from the nearest road or parking area. It had been a successful outing and I was on my way back to my truck. When I turned a corner in the trail, I was face to face with a middle aged couple who were, to put it in as High Road acceptable terms as possible, vigorously adding extra spice to their relationship. Right in the middle of the trail. No way around them without either wading through a blackberry bramble or getting way, way too close for comfort.

I was still a good mile and a half away from the nearest parking spot. I realized that even in the middle of nowhere, I couldn't avoid awkward situations.

buck460XVR
August 9, 2013, 10:05 PM
A dozen year ago or so, my perennial turkey hunting partner and I got permission to hunt a new parcel of land. We had worked two Toms on this parcel several weeks before from an adjoining property, but could not get them to leave their Strut Zone. Getting permission late in the evening for a morning hunt left us no time to scout the farm so we decided to just run and gun and learn the lay of the land as we went. We located birds on roost and at flydown, sure enough there were two toms gobblin' from the same spot they had frustrated us before.....but this time we could go to them. Workin' our way in carefully we came to a large open pasture with a large steep sided hill, dead center in the middle. The gobbles were coming from the top of that hill. The closest cover from any side was 100 yards or so. We got to the last bit of cover and sat down and called. Just like that the two toms came over to our side of the hill and gobbled and gobbled. They both strutted and drummed like synchronized dancers and answered every call with a double or triple. Then they would strut back over the crest and gobble on the other side for a while. Few minutes later they would be back...and then gone to the other side again. Hours went by and they continued the back and forth. Strutting in plain sight 40 yards outta range and then going back over the crest to work the other side for a while........hens went by us to the toms and then back by us on their way to lay an egg. We switched calls, we got aggressive and then passive, nothin' would bring them any farther than a few yards down the hill towards us. Always tho, after several minutes of struttin' and showin' off on our side of the hill, they would again disappear over the crest and we could here them doin' their song and dance on the other side. One could almost set your watch by their regularity of going to one side and then the other. About noon they shut up and no amount of callin' would get a peep outta them. We figured the cows comin' to pasture on the hill after milkin' had spooked them off their "safe spot", and we would have to come up with a change of plans for the next morning. Thinkin' they were long gone and we needed to make a set-up on top the hill or figure how they were gettin' to and from it for the morning, we had started towards the top of the hill amidst the cows when two large fans appeared at the crest. We were now halfway up the hill and the only cover we had was the cattle. The toms looked at us and the cattle, turned and as quickly as they appeared, the two fans disappeared again. Busted! Or so we thought. Giving a quick series of cutts, the toms answered and again came to the crest and looked at the cows with us in the middle. Then, still in full strut they turned and walked away again. My friend looked at me and said "what do we do now?" I said "we stay low and we run, I'll take the one on the right!''. I dropped my huntin' pack and crouching as low as we could, we made a beeline to the top of the hill . As we crested the hill both toms were in full strut, not 30 yards away. They both stuck their heads up at the same time and two shots rang out. Since our tags were full, we went fishin' the next day.

rcmodel
August 9, 2013, 10:20 PM
for me Part 1.

From one of my hunting buddies "I was out in my real tree suit when i sat down for a minute and a doe came up and sniffed my elbow."Well, believe what you want.

But a hunting buddy had a fox jump in his blind with him and bite him on the arm while calling coyotes.

And I have had squirrel's climb up my leg while setting in a tree-stand bow hunting.

rc

OptimusPrime
August 9, 2013, 11:01 PM
I don't know exactly how this story fits, but I'm telling it anyway.
Me and Uncle Harry were sneaking up on a nice buck that was meandering across the remnants of a corn field, foraging for cobs. It was winter in Wisconsin so of course there was a nice thick bed of snow everywhere. Well we did a good job of stalking and got close enough to get a shot, and the last piece of cover was to get up and over this ditch along the field's edge. As we climbed up the bank, I noticed that Harry had his barrel pretty low to the ground and it looked like he was pushing snow with his barrel. "Harry, you've got snow in your barrel!" I whispered. "Shut up kid." What did I know? I was about 13 years old and not real experienced. "Harry I'm serious, you've got snow in your barrel." His glare made me stop.
He got to the lip of the bank and slooooowwwwly brought up his shotgun, aimed, and "kabrannnngg!" that slug made the funniest noise as it caromed off in who knows what direction. He spent that afternoon with a hacksaw and had to listen to my dad cackling for hours.

August 9, 2013, 11:36 PM
The owner of the cabin I hunted from showed me a bucks rack.It had a hole through one antler about 2 inches above the skull.He said he was checking the rack when he touched the trigger.The buck went down,jumped up and he fired again,killing the buck.I would have thought the antler would have shattered.

interlock
August 10, 2013, 04:50 AM
Well, believe what you want.

But a hunting buddy had a fox jump in his blind with him and bite him on the arm while calling coyotes.

And I have had squirrel's climb up my leg while setting in a tree-stand bow hunting.

for sure! thats it. we could swap questions one and two round. my "no way, man, that's such BS" story is anothers "no really, that happened"

WayBeau
August 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
The craziest story I ever heard, which I could only believe because I saw the pictures to prove it, was one the hunting guide I worked for told me.

He was out hunting elk in Wyoming with a small group of guys. They spotted a huge bull on top of a ridge and put on a good stalk. The hunter laid down, got a good rest and squeezed off a good shot. The elk lurched and ran about fifty yards down the mountain before crashing into the snow. Not a big deal except the elk didn't stop when he hit the ground. Due to the grade of the slope he was on, he kept sliding right toward the edge of a cliff. Luckily, the body of the elk shifted to the downhill side of the slope cause when it went over the edge it managed to go through a gap in the cliff's edge and the elk got stuck, by the head.

Not having anything they could pull the elk up with, they had to leave it and go back to base camp to get ropes, saws, etc. In order to get back to camp, they had to cross over a ridge opposite the one the elk was hanging on, so they took a picture to prove what had happened.

They got some ropes and anchored up so one of the guides could repel down. So they sent this crazy guy over the edge with a saw in hand to separate the head from the body. About an hour later, they've got the rack and as much of the cape strapped into the pack horses and they were on their way back to camp.

Like I said, if I hadn't seen the pictures, I wouldn't have believed it.

Officers'Wife
August 10, 2013, 02:45 PM
If you want to get into crazy stories!!!

My late uncle told of the time he and some friends hired a guide and went hunting in Canada. After being dropped in an area that "even God forgot" they walked all day and made camp. After making dinner the guide cleaned his rifle, leaned it against a tree and retired to his tent. Sometime about 3 in the morning (oh dark thirty in his words) a shot rang out...

Seems a bear wandered into camp and started licking the bacon grease off the barrel of the rifle and somehow managed to hit the trigger with a rear claw.

He always ended the story with... "Friends and neighbors... never... ever... try to explain to a Royal Canadian Royal Mountie that a bear chose your camp and rifle to commit suicide."

The sad part of it is... knowing the situations my uncle got himself into when he was old it just might have happened in his "younger days."

dogrunner
August 10, 2013, 03:37 PM
True story: Deer huntin' with a couple of friends in the Ocala Ntl. Forest........friend had some really good walker hounds that we'd killed a couple of good bucks in front of. Dogs jumped near the naval bombing range one late afternoon & made repeated passes in and out of that restricted area....struck a line going due west and crossed several roads running exactly as a buck would...into the wind. We succeeded in getting in front of the dogs three or four times but never could get sight of the deer. We had noted that they'd apparently picked up another dog on the run and we saw it always in the lead. Finally, after about three hours of that round about the owner decided the dogs had to be running some off game...fox/coyote or whatever. Again, he positioned himself on a crossing and again those dogs...with that stranger in the lead crossed in front of him.....he was determined to end that race anyway he could....finally we began to catch worn out dogs and last of all picked up the stranger who was hiding under some thick scrub oak...........turns out that the stranger was what amounted to the 'drag'.........some sob's had doused that poor dog with deer urine, even tied a soaked rag with the stuff to his collar!

Hulluva run, hulluva a chase & I am sure that we wound up being the butt of a lotta jokes. Probably cost each of us nearly a half tank of gas.

grubbylabs
August 10, 2013, 05:15 PM
dogrunner that would be funny to see, I am sure that poor dog thought it was going to die.

Double_J
August 10, 2013, 06:08 PM
I heard stories of my parents and a few friends going snow-skiing in Colorado years ago. My dad had pictures of him feeding a mule deer doritos out of the window of the van they were driving. He way he tells the story that year was a bad drought and the deer were starving to death, and would go up to ANYONE who had food. The only downside was no one had a hunting license, nor a way to dress out the deer.

Now for number 2, also involving my father and a few other friends. They went "outlaw" hunting in Alabama back in the 70's. My father wanted no part of it, but he was not driving so he had no way to get a hunting license at the local general store.

They went out hunting tree-rats after breakfast, and they found a mess load of them just a few minutes away from the cabin. Did I mention that it was not squirrel season either. :) My father got one shot off from his rifle and had a jam, so he went back to the cabin to clear it. He comes walking out and a dead tom turkey lands at his feet, and the BIGGEST BADDEST game warden he has ever seen grabs his rifle. He of course asks what is going on, and the game warden tells him "you killed a turkey out of season." My father said no he did not kill that turkey, there must be a mistake. Gradually as the rest of the party come back they are each stripped of rifle, ammo, and game by the game warden. They are then each issued a ticket for hunting out of season.

Later my father is the one who is "voted" to talk to the judge and see if they can get the tickets dropped. They find out that the game warden is a "hanging warden, and the judge is a hanging judge." They then figure that they will blame the turkey on the local outlaw cousin of one of the party. They did not know that "cousin Tom" had talked to the judge and got him to drop the tickets. They call the judge and begin telling the story of how "Tom" killed that turkey. The judge breaks in and tells them that "Tom" testified that they were good boys and that they would never make the mistake of hunting "outlaw" again if he would let them go. To this day my father has never set foot back in that county, much less hunted there. I have learned from his mistake and will not hunt or fish without a license, and I will not try to blame the "outlaw cousin Tom" if I get caught doing anything.

P.S. To this day no one has ever admitted to killing that turkey.

Blue Brick
August 11, 2013, 06:53 AM
Ok its 0244 am and I am up with nausea…..so here goes

I know two men that will never ever admit it......, but shot deer with 22LR.

I also saw a man fill is dove season daily quota without wearing any pants.

And on that same morning I also saw that same man tear the head of a dove off in his mouth while field dressing his doves.

yup.......Alcohol was involved.

Grumulkin
August 11, 2013, 08:46 AM

Weirdest woods story for me was when I was a kid, chasing a flock of turkeys on foot being led by a huge Peacock. No, I have no idea why I was chasing them, no, I never caught any of them, and no, I don't have any idea why a Peacock had taken up with a flock of turkeys. Just very bizarre all the way around.
When I lived in PA, a neighbor had a peacock that used to hang out with wild turkeys at my place.

Then there are a couple of pellet gun versus deer stories.

The origin if the first is from a person well known to me that I consider trustworthy. He wished to scare off a deer eating his plants so got out a 17 caliber pellet gun. At the shot the deer went down dead with a shot that went in one nostril.

When I told that story around where I live now, I was told that several years ago a similar thinkg happened locally and the shooter of the deer with a pellet gun was asking around at to who wanted deer meat. Since I don't know that shooter, I can't vouch for that one.

BigBore44
August 11, 2013, 09:09 AM
Now this is a fun thread.

Part 1. Had a coworker friend of mine tell me about a small buck his friend shot during rifle season while it was mounting a doe. No big deal right? Well he claimed this buck had an arrow sticking out of its head when he shot it.

Part 2. I called BS and he went home and got the trail cam pic of that buck mounting a doe. And then he showed me the pic of the dead buck with the arrow in its head. Same buck. He then showed me a pic of the deer's skull after it had been boiled and bleached with the arrow still in it. Arrow went through the back of the skull, under the right eye and the broad head had lodged in its nasal cavity. Never doubted him again.

BigBore44
August 11, 2013, 09:20 AM
Deleted....

ljnowell
August 11, 2013, 09:32 AM
Since when did this thread go from an "incredible hardly believe it" thread to a "its ok to poach" thread? Getting Low Road pretty darned quick IMO.

Grumulkin
August 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
Years ago, as a kid in Mexico, I used to sit on top of a brick wall under an avacodo tree with my model 1894 Daisy BB gun to shoot rats in the field behind our house. My parents weren't the gun type so I felt lucky to have a BB gun and rats were about the most exotic game I could shoot.

Anyway, I shot a rat which jumped around a lot and die. When I climbed off the wall to do my post mortem, I had a hard time figuring out where my BB had hit it. It turned out the BB had gone in an ear leaving only a tiny drop of blood.

Tommy Van Alen
August 11, 2013, 10:40 AM
I always hear stories of guys wearing blue jeans, smoking cigarettes while up in the tree stand.. drinking coffee, spitting their Coppenhagen out, and the deer walks right up to their tree, and BLAM! they bag it. But then the guy with all the scent blockers on, and Real Tree or Mossy Oak, can't bag a deer to save his life.

Double Naught Spy
August 11, 2013, 10:46 AM
A guy I used to shoot with spoke of killing a hog with a perfect head shot with his 1911 .45. The bullet went in one ear hole and exited the other ear hole, killing the hog instantly with no bleeding or mess what-so-ever.

When confronted with the obvious fabrication, he denied it through and through, so to speak.

===================

On another forum, I caught a guy posting a picture of a mountain lion right next to his deer stand with a trail cam pic. The argument was that despite purported claims of the DNR that they don't exist in his state, they do.

What is interesting is that I found that the picture was taken in another state by wildlife officials (the picture documented from one of their locked observation cameras). The picture was out of focus and you could not read the time stamp or date in the poster's version, but the claimed date it was supposed to show was AFTER it was the pic was published online by the folks in the actual state where taken. When confronted with this information, the poster claimed the picture was given to him by his buddy who had put a camera up by the poster's deer stand and that somebody must have borrowed it (so they must have "borrowed it" and then gone back in time to publish it before it was taken). Eventually, the evidence was such that he admitted to doubting the image and the thread was closed.

So the claim went from being a picture right next to his own deer stand of a mountain lion not reported as being taken by anyone else to being a picture provided to him by a buddy that must have been borrowed, to finally being that he was questioning its authenticity. All this was done under the guise of griping that the game officials in the state of the deer stand purportedly claimed mountain lions don't exist there (but that was shown to be wrong) and the poster had not even submitted his "proof" to game officials to show how wrong they are....which is good because his "proof" was fake.

Art Eatman
August 11, 2013, 10:52 AM
Tommy, back fifty or so years ago, I was sneaky-snaking around my uncle's back pasture, eye-balling for Bambi. I came to the edge of some brush and across the fence saw a hunter in the next pasture.

Blue jeans and Levi jacket. Sitting on a stump, taking a smoke break. Upwind from him about ten yards was a doe. She stomped. She sniffed. She raised and lowered her head. He never moved a muscle.

She finally decided he was merely an oddly-shaped stump, and wandered off to wherever...

BigBore44
August 11, 2013, 11:06 AM
There is a video on YouTube of a bow hunter that has a momma moose with calf walk up to him. She actually nibbles on his broad head then turns and walks away. One of the neatest things I've seen. Go on YouTube and search "Moose vs. Archery Hunter" it should be the first video. It's 2:26 long. Wouldn't have believed it if it was a story.

stressed
August 11, 2013, 11:39 AM
There is a video on YouTube of a bow hunter that has a momma moose with calf walk up to him. She actually nibbles on his broad head then turns and walks away. One of the neatest things I've seen. Go on YouTube and search "Moose vs. Archery Hunter" it should be the first video. It's 2:26 long. Wouldn't have believed it if it was a story.
There is also a video of a black bear nibbling on the barrel of a guys rifle as he is trying to shoo it away. It's pretty cool.

AKElroy
August 11, 2013, 12:04 PM
Quote:
for me Part 1.

Well, believe what you want.

rc

I love this thread. I had a cow with her two young bulls on opening day a few years back feeding on my corn, keeping any chance of deer at bay. They came up to my ground blind, the cow sticks her whole head into my blind and tries to lick me, straining with that giant tongue to get a taste of me. I smacked her in the nose, and she backed up.

Young bull number one then follows mom's lead, and sticks his head in my blind. I pop him hard on the snout, and I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point that opening morning is about to be a bust. He pulls away, rubs his snout on the dirt, and he is pissed. He stands about 10' out, staring me down and pawing the ground, snorting. The little bastard is about to take down my blind. I say little, he's an easy 700 lbs of angry angus, eager to show mom how tuff he is. Hunting now obviously over, I grab my 4d mag light, exit the blind, and run screaming at the little bastard trying to lay him out with that light. Of course, he took off so I never got close. Without the noise and show of authority, I think he would have charged. Oh we'll, got a nice pig that night at least.

AKElroy
August 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
Part 2? I had a good sized buck in my feeder pen that needed shooting. Big bodied, mature buck, lousy tight 4 point, he is the perfect freezer stuffer cull. I did not want to shoot him in the pen as I was alone, and not wanting to take a panel off, I need him to jump out of the pen. He walks to one side, and I see him hunker down, about to jump. I aim for a fixed spot in the air on the opposite side of the fence with a scoped 94AE .30-30 at 165 yards. As soon as he jumps, I break the sear. Through the scope I see a sheet of blood exit the animal. He hits the ground in a heap, gets up, takes a single step, and drops in his tracks.

I told my then 9 year old about how i shot him out of the air, but no one else. I don't even think my kid believes me.

AKElroy
August 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
Tommy Van Alen

I always hear stories of guys wearing blue jeans, smoking cigarettes while up in the tree stand.. drinking coffee, spitting their Coppenhagen out, and the deer walks right up to their tree, and BLAM! they bag it. But then the guy with all the scent blockers on, and Real Tree or Mossy Oak, can't bag a deer to save his life.

That's funny. I see it every year. We have a guy in camp that chain smokes those little Backwoods cigars just like Clint Eastwood in his blind, heater crackling, eating, drinking, it's like a little house with a window to shoot from. He fills his tag.

I think we give game more credit than we should. My son and I were setting up a blind, spent 45 minutes hammering in some T-bars not 100 yards from the feeder. After we were done, we walked down to the feeder to change the card in the gamecam, and 6-8 deer are in the coral feeding. Apparently they were there the entire time we were hammering away, clearly visible, just 100 yards up the shooting lane.

spottedpony
August 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
My own is actually my dad's. He took a 200+ yard lob shot with a 22 LR at a coyote just to spook it and he hit it in the head. I was there to see it. No aiming or anything, just angled it in the general direction and pulled the trigger.

I'd not doubt this a bit, simply because about 15 years ago I looked out one morning to see a german shepard like dog chasing the neighbors cattle. All i had handy at the time was a .22 loaded with shorts, but when the dog got clear of the cows he'd been chasing, i cranked off 5 or 6 rounds, just holding the rifle in the air at an elevation i thought would lob the bullets around the dog to scare him.
Knocked him off his feet and killed him deader than dead with at least two bullet wounds to the head.
no way in H*** i coulda ever done that shot had i been trying.

The first year I'd started our son waterfowl hunting, we were hunkered down in the weeds, just off a game trail, along a close to home river we hunted some.
Hearing a bunch of spashing out in the water i peeked over the weeds to see 3 doe's and a small buck crossing the river, the buck of course hot after the doe's.
We were just off this trail maybe an arms length and after the doe's went by us, as the buck passed i reached out and slapped him on the a$$ with my ball cap. Wrong thing to do, i thought he was gonna eat us. he whirled around and the head came down ready to fight. I stood, hollering, and waving and fortunately that was enough to scare him off.

Another first year tale, same son, first year he was old enough to hunt big game.
Uninspiring story about the stalking and getting him in range for a good shot, which might have been 100 yds, probably a bit less.
Shooting an 06, he dropped the buck with one shot, found it stone cold dead and started field dressing it. Believe it or not we never found a bullet hole anywhere. Son said he was shooting for the base of the skull for a high neck shot but there was no bullet hole, no blood from an injury, nothing that we ever found.

As for the bullet making a 90 degree turn inside an animal and striking another one......naaaaaaaa THAT one i dont buy.

buck460XVR
August 11, 2013, 04:07 PM

Altho I doubt if the poster's dad was actually trying to hit the 'yote, but in many other cases, unfortunately, some folks can't differentiate between a skilled shot and a lucky shot. They take enough poor percentage shots and eventually they connect with a kill shot instead of a long blood trail with no animal at the end. This is generally all the incentive/motivation they need to continue taking those percentage shots.

okiewita40
August 12, 2013, 01:05 AM
This happened about 30 years ago. And I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't been there. My cousin and I were walking out of his yard to go pheasant hunting in the pasture. My unlce comes out with a .22 revolver.

Uncle asks what the limit is and we both tell him 4. So my uncle pulls out 4 LRN 22lr shells and loads them in the revolver. As soon as we get in the pasture my unlce says " ok boys the first 4 birds are mine."

I look at my cousin and ask him if his dad is crazy. He just shrugged at me. Anyways we get no more than about 30 yards into the pasture and a up flies a rooster. Uncle aims and takes a shot. The rooster fell. I am amazed at this point. My unlce hit the bird in the head while it was flying.

So to make the story shorter. My uncle got his 4 bird with that revolver. I think my cousin and I each got 1 after we wasted about a box of 12ga apeice.

stressed
August 12, 2013, 12:17 PM
This happened about 30 years ago. And I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't been there. My cousin and I were walking out of his yard to go pheasant hunting in the pasture. My unlce comes out with a .22 revolver.

Uncle asks what the limit is and we both tell him 4. So my uncle pulls out 4 LRN 22lr shells and loads them in the revolver. As soon as we get in the pasture my unlce says " ok boys the first 4 birds are mine."

I look at my cousin and ask him if his dad is crazy. He just shrugged at me. Anyways we get no more than about 30 yards into the pasture and a up flies a rooster. Uncle aims and takes a shot. The rooster fell. I am amazed at this point. My unlce hit the bird in the head while it was flying.

So to make the story shorter. My uncle got his 4 bird with that revolver. I think my cousin and I each got 1 after we wasted about a box of 12ga apeice.
That's pretty cool. 2" barrel?

Collects
August 12, 2013, 06:41 PM
True Story: I got to pet a live, wild caribou once! When caribou hunting in Canada's Great North, a group of wild caribou were swimming across the river that my guide and I were traversing in a small outboard motor powered boat. I leaned over the bow of the boat as the guide maneuvered up close to one of the large caribou. I was able to actually touch and pet the wild caribou. That was exciting and memorable!

Maybe Not True Story: My Grandpa told me this, in about 1965, when I was age 13. He was out deer hunting with his trusty 30-30 Winchester Model '94, when nature called. He leaned his rifle against a convenient tree, dropped trou and started taking care of business when a big buck walked by, not ten yards ago. My Grandpa, still "seated" against the tree, grabbed the gun, shot the buck, leaned the Model '94 back against the tree, and went back to taking care of the nature call. Wow, Grandpa!

Before Grandpa could finish, sure enough, ANOTHER large buck walks by nearby, so Grandpa grabbed the Winchester and shot that one too, then finished his business. Yeah, sure, Grandpa!

Art Eatman
August 12, 2013, 09:39 PM
I'd raise an eyebrow about the second buck, but more than one hunter has killed a buck in that situation. My father's comment was that it was probably the only time during the day that the guy was still and quiet. :)

Bush Pilot
August 14, 2013, 08:59 PM
A few years ago I was walking up a ravine near my house in Montana when nature called. As I was answering I spotted some movement below me, it was a decent whitetail buck. With my pants still down I dumped the deer and then finished mine. I really doubt I would have spotted the deer if I hadn't stopped. It can happen.

ricebasher302
August 14, 2013, 09:07 PM
When I was about 14, I saw a pheasant land in our cattail patch. I grabbed my dad's Ward's bolt action 20 gauge and went on the hunt. In cattails, a pheasant won't usually flush until you whisper into its ear that you can see it, so I was slowly high-stepping through the swamp waiting to be scared spitless (like staring at the toaster).

Finally, the bird flushed about 8 feet in front of me, and in my flustered state, I fired without shouldering the gun. The bird was about 15 feet from the end of the barrel when I shot and it folded and dropped. I shook my head knowing that the bird was probably jelly inside. I grabbed it up and it fluttered a bit, so I gave it the twist and proceeded to the house to clean and pluck (to oven roast whole).

I ended up plucking that bird from his ankles to his beak. He had not a single blemish anywhere on him. No bruises, no marks, no nothing.:confused:

All I can figure is that the hip shot missed but the concussion from that close stunned him and I actually killed him by breaking his neck.

tahunua001
August 14, 2013, 11:31 PM
well one is one that I would have never believed if I hadn't seen it first hand.
my brother in law and I were out on the mountain a few weeks ago and we came across a mulie buck that was a dumb as a sack of rocks. after parking the truck about 30 yards away we proceeded to just watch him for a few minutes until it grew boring so we started trying to make the weirdest noises we could think of to see what his nervous threshold was.

he just stood there staring at us and then went back to grazing. so my brother in law actually got out of the truck and creeped to within 10 feet of the buck before throwing a stick over the deer and it just hopped 2 steps and went back to eating... we left him there to be a retard, me thinks he wont survive to become a monster.

the one I love to tell people and have people claim I'm full of it is that my first deer I ever took was 300 yards away with an offhand shot. I have a witness. it really did happen, I swear.

rduchateau2954
August 17, 2013, 05:55 AM
This is such an awesome thread. I've got 2 for ya, one true and one...

#1 I'm at my uncles house hunting one of his 40's. I'm laying on my stomach next to a brush pile at the edge of a clearing. I'm snuggled up to a small stand of pines to my right with a deer trail running through them. I've got my dads SKS with a little craptastic 4x scope. I'm there for 2hrs and a big doe walks out of the trail right next to me. If I would have had the bayonet on the sks, I could have stuck her. I let her wander out a bit and put a bullet through both lungs. She drops, flops, lets out a big breath, and dies.

I didn't move after I shot her, waiting for the cavalry to arrive and all of a sudden two more does walk out of the same trail, same distance, and they begin grazing not 10' from where the dead doe laid. I'm sitting there silently laughing at these oblivious does and then all of a sudden here comes frickin moby. Biggest deer I've ever seen in my life outside a game farm. Just a massive 10pt buck, I'm seeing images of bambis dad while the "turdy point buck" song played in my head.

I raise the scope, put it on the sweet spot.....

and wait....

and wait....

and then he walks away.

It was T-Zone (antlerless only) :banghead:

#2 My uncle Keith. We're 5 days into the 9 day Wisconsin gun deer season. Nobody is seeing anything. The story goes: My uncle is sitting in his blind and says to himself "screw this" and lights up a Marlboro Menthol. He gets about halfway through his smoke and "this doe come walking out of the swamp, nose in the air. She slowly walks towards the blind, sniffing the whole time. When she got close enough, I shot her"

I saw the deer, but I wasn't close enough to him to verify the cigarette.

Grumulkin
August 17, 2013, 12:35 PM
There was the tme I was target shooting at a 100 yard target with a braked Encore 7mm/08 handgun. I had put a target up and had taken several shots when out from behind the tires filled with rocks I had as a backstop walked a doe. If I had had a nuisance permit, she would have been dead.

Many years ago a friend and I had been hunting ground squirrles and were waiting by a lake for our ride home. There were mud hens on the lake I would say 150 to 200 yards away. We discussed the possiblity of hitting one with my semiautomatic 22 LR sold by Western Auto but made by Marlin. I decided to try; I allowed for wind and held a bit over and hit my mud hen. There was a little talent involved but also a lot of luck.

natman
August 17, 2013, 01:57 PM
hi guys,
here is a two part question for our entertainment.

part 1. What story have you been told by fellow hunters that make you say "no way, that's rubbish"

Part 2. what has happenned to you that you almost daren't tell your hunting mates about because they will say "no way, man, that's Rubbish"

for me Part 1.

No way, man, thats rubbish!

(editted):)

#1) On one of my first deer hunts I was wearing army surplus Woodland camo. I had read about cover scents, so I made the mistake of putting some apple cover scent near where I was sitting. A doe came past with two fawns, one of which came sniffing right up to within kicking distance trying to find the nice apple. He finally realized that something was wrong with the funny bush and assumed a defensive posture and started huffing and snorting at me. I finally had to stand up and shoo him away. Then I had to find a new place to sit, because on their way out they informed every deer in the valley that this place had something funny going on in it.

#2) I was turkey hunting many years later with Realtree camo and a few Sneaky Leaves (http://www.amazon.com/Sneaky-Leaf-Camouflaging-System-Season/dp/B000HZHXRQ) thrown in for a bit of a 3D effect. I had a squirrel jump off of a tree branch and land on my head. I don't know which of us was more startled. I had been considering buying a leafy suit, but this incident convinced me that perhaps I was sufficiently camouflaged.

DeepSouth
August 18, 2013, 10:00 AM
There was the tme I was target shooting at a 100 yard target with a braked Encore 7mm/08 handgun. I had put a target up and had taken several shots when out from behind the tires filled with rocks I had as a backstop walked a doe. If I had had a nuisance permit, she would have been dead.

Reminds me a good friend of mine who shot through the loose hanging skin on his labs neck when she was running around in the woods behind his target. Trying to retrieve I guess, he was shooting a Colt 1911. That was a good dog, I saw her jump in a pond once to go catch a snake, even I kind of miss her an she wasn't even mine.

I said he should have changed the dogs name to lucky.

Davek1977
August 19, 2013, 04:43 AM
I fired without shouldering the gun. The bird was about 15 feet from the end of the barrel when I shot and it folded and dropped. I shook my head knowing that the bird was probably jelly inside. I grabbed it up and it fluttered a bit, so I gave it the twist and proceeded to the house to clean and pluck (to oven roast whole).

I ended up plucking that bird from his ankles to his beak. He had not a single blemish anywhere on him. No bruises, no marks, no nothing.

All I can figure is that the hip shot missed but the concussion from that close stunned him and I actually killed him by breaking his neck. Had something quite similiar happen as a kid. I kicked up a rooster, and he flew....almost straight up! I took a shot at him, and he went down like a ton of bricks. I grabbed him, tossed him in my game bag, and continued to hunt. At the end the walk, I asked my dad to grab the bird out of my vest. He took a look in, and said "You want me to kill him first?" When he peeked in, a very much alive pheasant looked back at him, and started to flop aorund. He was picked clean as well, and no shot was found in him The only thing dad could think of was a single pellet at hit him in the head.

Just last fall, had another interetsting experience with a pheasant. My nephews and I had kicked up a flock repeatedly, but had yet to get a good shot. The cover was good enough the birds would simply fly 50-100 yards and settle back in. About the third time we flushed them, I noticed one rooster who didnt join the bunch. He was huddled down in some cover, and obviously didnt think we knew he was there. I told both nephews to get ready, that I'd go in and attempt to flush him towards them. AS I worked my way into the brush, the pheasant held tight.....so tight, I was actually able to manuever around and approach him from the back. I couldn't believe he wouldn't flush. I finally ended up reaching in from behind, grabbing him by the neck, and wrung it! Imagine how cool my nephews thought I was...."Uncle Dave can hunt pheasants without a gun!!!" LOL....still dont know what to make of it, but the bird seemed healthy in all other respects, and ate just as good as any other!

glockgod
August 19, 2013, 06:14 AM
I don't mind "people"telling BS stories. I draw the line when they expect me to believe them!!
My favorite is the story of how so and sos' brother in laws' best buddy,etc. saw the Division of Wildlife dropping rattlesnakes with little parachutes on them to eat up the wild turkey eggs.
My questions are:
1-Who's the Dumbass that puts the 'chutes on them?
2-Do the rattlesnakes unharness the 'chutes themselves?
3-I don't think eggs are on a rattlesnakes menu.
4-Aparrently the plan isn't working cause the turkey population grows each year.
I quit arguing with stupid people-It just brings you down to their level-then they beat you with experience.
Don't even get me started on the "black panther" sightings!!:fire::cuss::banghead:

Davek1977
August 19, 2013, 07:28 AM
http://wildlife.state.nm.us/education/wildlife_notes/documents/NoteRsnakeSm.pdf

Rattlesnakes can and will eat eggs. Other than that, I agree the story is a bit far fetched, to put it lightly

Art Eatman
August 19, 2013, 12:07 PM
A chicken snake (racer) went into my grandmother's hen house via a knothole. Swallowed an egg. Tried to leave. Oops! Too big for the knothole. My grandmother saw him. What ensued was a hoe-down without dancing. A garden hoe is a serious anti-snake weapon. :)

DeepSouth
August 19, 2013, 12:38 PM
I've been told by more than one old timer that a snake will swallow a egg whole and either fall, or wrap around something and squeeze to bust the egg so he can fit through chicken wire that pins/ cages are made of. They say a golf ball placed in the right spot will have the snake trapped for you in no time as he can't bust it so he can't get back through the chicken wire.
I've never had chickens so I can't rightly say.

der Teufel
August 19, 2013, 12:55 PM
This probably isn't in the category of a tall tale and I have a picture to boot.

Just this past weekend I was scouting around for hogs on Friday afternoon when I came across a small whitetail deer (fawn, still had spots) caught in a fence. It was just hanging there and I figured it was dead. I stopped and looked and noticed that it wasn't covered in flies or anything, and that it probably hadn't been there very long. Suddenly it raised its' head, and I realized that it was still alive. I took this photo and then put on gloves, got a stick to untwist the wire, and got it loose. It took me several minutes to get it free, but once it was out it took off for the woods in a hurry!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/DarkField/Hunt-Shoot/FawninFence16AUG13a_zps1b119221.jpg (http://s104.photobucket.com/user/DarkField/media/Hunt-Shoot/FawninFence16AUG13a_zps1b119221.jpg.html)

morcey2
August 19, 2013, 08:57 PM
This probably isn't in the category of a tall tale and I have a picture to boot.

Just this past weekend I was scouting around for hogs on Friday afternoon when I came across a small whitetail deer (fawn, still had spots) caught in a fence. It was just hanging there and I figured it was dead. I stopped and looked and noticed that it wasn't covered in flies or anything, and that it probably hadn't been there very long. Suddenly it raised its' head, and I realized that it was still alive. I took this photo and then put on gloves, got a stick to untwist the wire, and got it loose. It took me several minutes to get it free, but once it was out it took off for the woods in a hurry!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/DarkField/Hunt-Shoot/FawninFence16AUG13a_zps1b119221.jpg (http://s104.photobucket.com/user/DarkField/media/Hunt-Shoot/FawninFence16AUG13a_zps1b119221.jpg.html)
Just before it got back to mom, his friends got there first.

"... and then he said 'Hold my beer and watch this!' and he started climbing the fence. We tried to tell him not to, Mrs. Bambi, but he wouldn't listen." :D

Good on you for letting him loose. He probably would have died of exhaustion pretty quickly if he was there for very long.

Ranger Roberts
August 26, 2013, 04:47 PM
Some great stories everyone, thanks for sharing!

If I wasn't there when this happened, I wouldn't have believed it. About 15 years ago I was dder hunting with my uncle in Vermont. We would meet a few of his buddies at a small general store he owned and we would hike in to the woods from there. Everyone had finished up with their coffee and we were just about to start the trek in to the woods when an unfamiliar car pulls up. It was a brand new car with out of state plates and it definitely was waaaaay out of place surrounded by beat up pickup trucks in rural Vermont. The guy driving hops out of the car and asks if it was ok to park there. The guy was dressed head to toe in brand new hunting gear and is now holding a real pretty brand new 30.06. My uncle tells him it's ok to park here but he can't make a habit of it. He then asks the guy how far in he is planning on walking and if he has a map and compass. The guy looks real confused and says "map? Well, I plan on walking until I see a deer". My uncle and a few of the guys tell him that he may get lost up here without a map. The guy totally blows them off and makes a joke about how he will just keep walking north if he gets lost and he will eventually hit Canada. He then thanks us and walks into the woods.

No more than 10 minutes goes by and we hear a gun shot (the sun isn't even up yet). A bunch of the guys start complaining that this SOB is gonna hurt someone, he doesn't know what he is doing, etc etc. A few other guys say they are going home, they don't want to be in the woods with this guy. Just as the discussions have started to die off, this guy comes barrel a**ing out of the woods and he looks like he saw a ghost. A few of the guys grab him and asked him what the heck happened. He proceeds to tell us that he was walking up the firebreak and out of nowhere a "grizzly" pops out and makes a run at him. He tells us he got a shot off but doesn't know if he killed it or even hit it. Some of the guys are pretty pissed at this point and telling him that there aren't grizzly's in Vermont. All of the sudden it dawns on me, where the heck is this guys rifle? I ask him and he tells us he doesn't know, he must have dropped it when he was running for his life.

It took some "gentle" persuading to get this guy to walk us up to where this happened. We had planned on looking for blood or any indication that this guy had actually hit the bear. It couldn't have been more than 300 yards in when I found his rifle. He hands it to my uncle and says "it's yours, I'm not hunting anymore". About 50 yards from the rifle we found the "grizzly" that charged him. It was a black bear that couldn't have been more than a 185 pounds.

We left the bear, headed back to the general store and called the Game Warden. As far as I know the guy wasn't charged with anything but I was young and I didn't really pay attention to things like that.

Like I said at the beginning of the post, if I hadn't seen it unfold in front of me, I wouldn't have believed it.

Speedo66
August 26, 2013, 07:43 PM
True: I was hunting with my son, his first time out. We had doe permits, and I spot one. Son's sitting right next to me on the edge of a hill in upstate NY woods. I point it out below, he sees it, and puts his rifle up to take the shot.

A chickadee lands on his barrel, and obscures his sight picture through the scope. He doesn't realize what's doing it, starts moving his eye closer and farther away from the scope and whispering "I can't see it, I can't see it". The doe glides back into some brush, I crack up. :D

20 years later we still both get a chuckle out of this.

coyote315
January 21, 2014, 09:47 PM
I, sincerely and honestly, put a crossbow bolt through a doe at a range of 31 yards, from the ground in a bean field. The doe was feeding. I was squatting under a cedar tree I had fled to in order to defecate, and had just, ahem, "finished up." I had completely removed my ghillie suit so that I didn't get it messy. Because it was about 5pm in early october, I was thereby almost naked squatting with my boxers around my ankles when this doe comes out. I slipped the boxers off while squatted, rocked forward onto my knees and s-l-o-w-l-y grabbed my crossbow, and dispatched her cleanly. Naked.
Never wasted any money on scent-lok stuff after that ;)

JJHACK
January 21, 2014, 11:44 PM
Elmer Keith:

"That bullet failed completely, it was a perfect heart shot and that bull ran a mile until we lost it."

Rubbish...... if they never found it how do they know it was a " perfect" heart shot? if it was a perfect heart shot how did it run a mile?

Hey Elmer...... it wasn't the bullet!

I love Elmer Keith, but this proves he is just as excitable with exaggeration as any one I have ever met!

Dinosaur1
January 24, 2014, 02:11 AM
Had a guy tell me one time he came out of his tent one morning and shot an elk in his under wear but I didn't believe it. No one I know makes under wear for elk.

Flintknapper
January 24, 2014, 08:01 AM
Dinosaur1 wrote:

Had a guy tell me one time he came out of his tent one morning and shot an elk in his under wear but I didn't believe it. No one I know makes under wear for elk.

Perhaps he meant the Elk was wearing 'HIS' underwear (the hunters)? ;)

I'd shoot that thieving Elk too.

JRH6856
January 24, 2014, 11:46 AM
I love Elmer Keith, but this proves he is just as excitable with exaggeration as any one I have ever met!

I think Elmer may have had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek more often than anyone noticed.

JRH6856
January 24, 2014, 02:18 PM
I've had this called BS a lot by younger hunters: When I was a kid, a deer stand was a board nailed in the highest fork that would support it in the tallest tree in the area. And you had to climb the tree, not a ladder, to get to it. Maybe a second board as a footrest, but usually not. Maybe a board for a backrest, but usually not—just a board in the fork of a tall tree to sit on for 2-4 hours or until just before you got too numb to climb down (no propane heaters, either).

True story: When I was a kid, my cousin and I went fishing one fall morning. It was going to be a warm, sunny day and we knew there were a lot of cottonmouths in the area so we took my .410 single along just in case. Didn't catch anything or see a snake, but as we were walking along a dirt road back to the car, we saw a rabbit ahead of us. My cousin was carrying the .410 and he raised it to shoot. As he cocked the hammer, tihe rabbit took off and so did my cousin. I dropped the fishing gear and followed. The rabbit ran through an open gate into a vacant farm yard, ran by a corn crib and then turned back and to go under it. My cousin tired to stop but slipped down. As he fell, he held the gun up over his head. He is now on his back with his head towards the corn crib as the rabbit goes past him and under the crib. The rabbbit runs past the muzzle of the shotgun and my cousin pulls the trigger. i don't think he fired on purpose, just jerked the trigger accidentally as he hit the ground. We had to go into the crib and pull up some floor boards to get the rabbit that had been cleanly gutted by the point blank shot. Really, all we had to do was skin it and rinse it. There was no shot at all to pick our of the rabbit.

Now that we had one rabbit, we wanted more, so that afternoon we headed out to another place to hunt rabbit. Cousin had a 12ga single, I had my .410 and a .22. Driving down the road, a squirrel runs across and up a tree to the left. Cousin stops the car, jumps out with the 12ga and goes after the squirrel leaving me sitting in the car. OK, He is across the road, on the other side of the tree, trying to find the squirrel in the tree. The squirrel is on a limb about 15' up circling the limb as squirrels do. He circles so that I can see him so, sitting in the car, I raise the .22 for a shot. Now, I am left-handed and left-eyed and I'm trying to shoot out the driver's window right handed. I miss the squirrel completely but startle him so much that he jumps or falls off the branch...which startles my cousin so much that he fires the 12ga, He misses the squirrel but hits the branch which was rotten and brittle enough that it breaks off the tree, but still solid enough to stun the squirrel as they both hit the ground, the branch on top of the squirrel. Cousin killed the squirrel with a pocket knife. Didn't have to pick any shot out of the squirrel, either. We got 2 more rabbits (uneventfully) and had a pretty good dinner that night.

January 24, 2014, 08:44 PM
50 plus years ago I was hunting small game with a friend.We borrowed his dads station wagon,took the beagle and drove to a favorite spot.I forget what we harvested that saturday afternoon.On the drive home that evening a skunk crossed the road.My buddy jumped out with his gun and left the door open,the dog followed.Well,the dog got to the skunk first,got sprayed and ran back and jumped in the car.My buddy shot the skunk and came back.the dog was crying and rubbing its head all over the seats.We kicked the dog out and he followed us as we slowly drove home.The family was out for the evening. My buddy said "My sisters perfume will take care of it."(WRONG)That car sat in a farm shed for over a year while they tried everything to kill the smell.I really pitied that dog.

Russian Hammer
January 24, 2014, 08:45 PM
Most absurd story I've ever been told was by a guy who claimed to have killed a deer at 1300 yards with a .223 rifle with a tasco mounted on it and a bipod put on backwards. He also claimed to have been given some sort of award for making that shot. Same gun he used for bear hunting too, never seen him get a bear.

hartcreek
January 24, 2014, 10:36 PM
My first bear. I had been placer mining in an area and had a small cabin set up. The local hunters had been complaining about a pest bear. The bear had been coming into their camps and raiding their garbage as they were to lazy to dig a hole and bury it or burn it or pack it out. They had been using their dogs to chase the bear out of camp.

I had a nice eight foot square cabin set up but had been to busy over the weeks mining to get a proper out house set up. I had a log set up that I had been using. It had been a custom to carry my lantern, side arm and shovel with me when I had to make a nightly visit. My shovel was one of those Razor Backs. When the Razor Backs came out they still had a wooden handle but a reinforced edge and mine was razor sharp so I could use it to cut through tree roots when I was scraping out gravel instead of using a hatchet.

One night after an exceedingly hard day of placer mining I was very tired and decided to make my visit to the log with just my lantern, shovel and paper.

Well wouldn't you know it but it was that night that that pesky bear decided to give me a visit. I was out visiting my log about half done with my business when crashin though the brush came this pest. I intersepted him with my Razor Back shovel right under the chin........

He sure had a nice pelt and it looked great on top of the coffee table until a gal that I was "seeing" decided that it would look better at her place.

If you enjoyed reading about "no way, man, that is such rubbish!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!