PDA

czhen
March 21, 2004, 10:52 AM
Dear Forum
Is the 45 long Colt disappearing.

Thanks and have a safe shooting

HTD
FL

If you enjoyed reading about "45 Long Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Murphster
March 21, 2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks in part to the popularity of Ruger Vaquero's and Blackhawks, Taurus revolvers, Marlin rifles, and Cowboy shooting competitions, the 45 Colt is alive and well. One of my favorite rounds. Long may it wave.

czhen
March 21, 2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks Murphster for replying
What price could be for a very good Winchester 45 L colt and right ammo price?

HTD1

FL

Murphster
March 21, 2004, 11:43 AM
I'll have to defer to others on the Winchester and boxed ammo prices. My lever guns were all Marlins and I reload. Here's a link to one site that sells the ammo:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=70814

If you have access to gun shows in your area you might find it cheaper.
Sportsmans Guide is a nice bunch to do business with. I purchased a lot of 8mm. from them (cheaper than reloads).

Werewolf
March 21, 2004, 12:18 PM
Depending on brand 45 LC ammo goes for between $15 and $25.

You can reload a box of 50 for about $4.50 if you save your brass.

And by reloading you can build everything from a mouse fart cartridge to one with knockdown and penetration power that will take out any animal in the US.

The 45LC is here to stary IMHO...

BradN
March 21, 2004, 07:37 PM
I have a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt. It's fun.

I don't reload. In CA, I pay approx. $20 for a box of 50 Cowboy loads; $25-30 for a box of 50 stronger loads.

Ammo is easy to find. Each store, though, may have only one brand.

Brad

BluesBear
March 22, 2004, 04:32 AM
We recently discussed this right here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43250).

iamkris
March 22, 2004, 08:00 AM
Nope its growing. I started shooting it in a Blackhawk in 1985, after reading lots of Elmer Keith, thinking I was really cutting edge. Now with Cowboy Action Shooting, its is and extremely popular round. No end in sight.

Greybeard
March 22, 2004, 09:22 AM
I bought a .454 SRH earlier this year with specific intentions of shooting mostly the .45s, which has been the case. As others have said, great versatility. Fortunately, I've a buddy who reloads 'em for cheap. :)

quiknot
January 17, 2006, 08:35 PM
i read alot about reloading 45 colt ...but where can i find the recipes need to have safe loads...recently bought a Uberti clone and do reload....

Biker
January 17, 2006, 08:52 PM
The .45 Long Colt (yes, I said LONG COLT:) ) and Harley Davidsons go together like peas and carrots.
And that's all I have to say about that.;)
Biker

Detritus
January 17, 2006, 09:32 PM
i read alot about reloading 45 colt ...but where can i find the recipes need to have safe loads...recently bought a Uberti clone and do reload....

most if not all of the standard load books include .45 (Long) Colt, and either the majority of teh loads listed will be safe for SAA types (and thus your Uberti) with the higher pressure loads marked for "rifle,ruger, or freedom arms only" or the like, or there will be a load list for Colts and clones, and a load list for the ruger etc.
one powder that has come on the market that is made for rounds like the .45LC that are "high case volume/low pressure loadings" is a powder called "Trailboss" it is made to be a bulky (and i think cleaner than some) powder and thus allow safe loads to be created that run a lower risk of the charge settling below the flashhole and the possible dangers that is rumored to cause. the stuff is doughnut shaped, looks like someone made smokeless out of large typewrite "O"s.

if you wanna load blackpowder, others will possibly chime in on that... it has it's upsides and it's downsides.

XLMiguel
January 17, 2006, 09:36 PM
I'd stick to cowboy loads or the equivalent in the Uberti. They're nice guns, but they aren't built to take the guff that hot or hunting .45 LC loads can generate. I'd get the reloading maunal from one of the powder mfrs (and check into the handloading forum here) before I tried any hot stuff in a 'replica'.

MountainPeak
January 20, 2006, 09:32 PM
Dear Forum

HTD
FL HELL NO!!! :) More 45 Colt rounds are being put through firearms now, than EVER before!!!!

bakert
January 21, 2006, 12:18 AM
HELL NO!!! :) More 45 Colt rounds are being put through firearms now, than EVER before!!!!
I'm putting a lot of them through mine nowadays. Almost all of my .45 Colt shooting is with cast bullet reloads but it's a shame there's not more and better factory loads out there.

MCgunner
January 21, 2006, 10:08 AM
Dear Forum

HTD
FL

It's not disappearing, just turning cowboy. So long as there are .45 Colt cases out there for reloading, I'm happy! :D

TABING
January 21, 2006, 04:22 PM
Try www.outdoormarksman.com for reasonably priced (in bulk) .45 Colt ammo.

Werewolf
January 21, 2006, 07:31 PM
Hmmm... That Miwall stuff is pretty cheap for .45 Colt that's for sure.

Zero experience with that brand. Are they any good?

Gunsnrovers
January 21, 2006, 07:43 PM
Miwall stuff is good. Perhaps a bit light on the FPS scale, but well made with good components and good quality.

I've been buying their stuff for my revolvers for 14 years.

wheelgunslinger
January 21, 2006, 10:30 PM
.45 long colt is alive and doing well. and, Biker is right. it goes with a Harley-Davidson like peas and carrots. It even goes with my BMW motorcycle and me pretty well. :D

lawson
January 21, 2006, 10:52 PM
of all the handgun cartridges of the old west, few have had the staying power of the .45 Long Colt.

luckily for all of us, it's not going anywhere, and i couldn't be happier about that.

Denny Lattis
January 22, 2006, 04:39 PM
Will live forever. Especially with the new guns chambered for this and able to handle high pressure loads

MCgunner
January 22, 2006, 07:50 PM
.45 long colt is alive and doing well. and, Biker is right. it goes with a Harley-Davidson like peas and carrots. It even goes with my BMW motorcycle and me pretty well. :D

What, no 9mm with that Hun bike? Of course, I guess I'd have to carry a Nambu....forget it. :D

unspellable
January 23, 2006, 07:16 PM
The 45 Colt may be here to stay, but it could be greatly improved by modernizing the SAAMI specs for the dimensions. Even in today's revolvers, the chamber dimensions are the same as in the days of yore when the Lone Ranger rode.

To be more specific, the chambers are oversized which leads to the rumours about poor accuracy, weak brass, and limited case life one occasionaly hears about this cartridge. One of the 454's secrets to success is that it has nice tight chambers. getting properly sized throats wouldn't hurt either.

I have a raging Bull in 45 Colt. You read that right, 45 Colt, not 454 casull. I had hoped they would cut the chambers with the 454 cutters and I would have tight chambers, but no such luck, it has the standard loose chambers.

Moonclip
January 23, 2006, 07:50 PM
It's not disappearing, too many guns out there already made in this caliber and still being made that need feeding. But don't ever expect to find it fro sale in as many types or in as many places or for the same price as 45acp.

ArmedBear
January 23, 2006, 08:13 PM
As the Duke said: Dead? Not hardly!

New guns in the caliber keep coming out.

Taurus has introduced new models of both rifles and revolvers, Henry a new rifle, Ruger a new line of revolvers, Beretta, Puma, Smith and Wesson, Marlin...

Camp David
January 23, 2006, 09:29 PM
Dear Forum
Is the 45 long Colt disappearing....

Three separate groups are each pushing the .45 LC round to be more popular then ever before: Cowboy Action Shooters, Long-Time Users, and New Users.

New handguns are coming out featuring the 45LC round (Ruger Alaskan et al.) New rifles are featuring the round as they have for many years!

What many shooters are finding out is that 45 LC is a tried and true round, available at most gunstores, and has a distinguished history of accomplishment. Although any caliber ammunition can be handloaded, the widespread availability of ammunition on sales store shelves is an important aspect of firearm ownership!

Is it a magnum or the largest caliber made? No... never was intended to be. Is it utilitarian, accurate, powerful, and easy to shoot? Yup... always has been! With the sheer number of handguns calibered to the .45LC round, it may be one of the longest lasting calibers in handguns.

Single Shot, Single Action, and Double Action revolvers have been tailored and offered in .45LC; I am not aware of a .45LC semi but such would be nice! ;) Lever-action rifles have long-used the .45LC.

.45 Long Colt Disappearing? Hardly!

Jim K
January 23, 2006, 10:08 PM
If you want a Winchester, you might start looking around, as they will soon be hard to find with the company going out of business.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "45 Long Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!