Share Your "Hot Brass" Stories

PDA

Bainx
March 21, 2004, 04:09 PM
Well, it happened.....after shooting guns for a number of years, I finally got some hot brass down inside my shirt. You would have thought that hornets were attacking me!
I was filming a friend shooting his .22 and suddenly, a casing flew over, banked-off of my camera housing and went straight into my collar. What's worse, it went tumbling down into my gut area so, I got to enjoy it for several seconds. Pretty embarrasing as others were looking-on wondering what the heck was up with me.
Oh well, yet another "first" in my shooting experience.

Don't tell me you have never had hot brass on your person!:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Share Your "Hot Brass" Stories" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
March 21, 2004, 04:13 PM
OK... I'll play

I was shooting my Ruger KP-90 .45ACP, and I wasn't 'dressed' properly. The empty bounced off the divider, went down my deep v-neck t-shirt. In all the flailing around to get it out, I managed to pull the front of my jeans just enought so that the hot stuff fell down inside, insted of outside....:what:

OWW! Quit it!

El Tejon
March 21, 2004, 04:14 PM
Usually get bitten at least once a class. Thanks to .223 empties, my back looks like a road map of Europe (well, somewhere under there, as I'm older pretty well insulated with fur as suits a badger:D).

We always call the Brass Dance, the Dance of the Hot Scorpion. Silly term from a gun skul.

Good incentive to wear your two bandannas and tote that toothpaste.:D

R-Tex12
March 21, 2004, 04:19 PM
One of the more humorous terms I've run across was from a lady shooter (as opposed to a lady-shooter) who used the phrase "Branded Booby Dance".

Texas Bob
March 21, 2004, 04:33 PM
You call that "Hot Brass"...NOT... Wait until you're shooting a .45 without a cap on and the brass bounces off your skull downward and lands between your shooting glasses and your eyelid. After the "dance"(dropping .45 and ripping glasses off face) I had a nice burn on the right eyelid. Now I "always" wear a hat with a bill and wear shooting "goggles" not glasses. Over the years I've seen many people"running the timer" learn about buttoning that top button.:)

Kodiak AK
March 21, 2004, 04:41 PM
Well , I have yet to get the brass burn . I have done the the splashback from plates "WTH?":eek: though. My Ex wife on the other hand has an interesting scar from qualification as expert . :o

7.62FullMetalJacket
March 21, 2004, 05:21 PM
THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER ;)

Ala Dan
March 21, 2004, 05:35 PM
Greeting's All-

The extact same thing happened to me during my last
PD qualification a few years back. An officer from the
host department was in the left lane next to me, with
a .40 S&W Sigma. That thing was chunking all its "hot
brass" at an angle, whereas it would tumble right on
down my V-neck t-shirt! Didn't feel real comfortable at
all.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Sydwaiz
March 21, 2004, 06:51 PM
The best one I've had yet happened a couple of months ago. I was standing to the side and back a little from a guy shooting a Walther P22. It was malfunctioning alot and I was trying to watch it to see what was happening. Well, he was holding the gun low and popped off a round. The damn case went straight into my mouth! Burnt my lip and I ended up biting down on it to boot!

My wife still has a scar on her inner thigh from me shooting my 10/22 from inside my Jeep. And that was almost 10 years ago. A lovely reminder everytime I'm.....nevermind!:D

Zach S
March 21, 2004, 06:52 PM
Am I weird? I normally shoot a lot of .45 and a little 9mm, hot brass doesnt bother me much. It annoys me, but not to the point where I do the "hot brass dance." Never had one slide between my glasses and eyelid though, well, not that I remember anyway, but empties have slid down my shirt several times.

Of course, my G17 throws it too high for it to go in my shirt, and normally bounces off my forehead...

7.62FullMetalJacket
March 21, 2004, 06:56 PM
Now picking up a mini-14 by the barrel after a couple of 30 rd strings can be painful :uhoh: Brass does not bother me. Makes kind of a cute scar.

Girlwithagun
March 21, 2004, 07:02 PM
Funny to see this post cause this just happened to me for the first time a few days ago. I was shooting my 1911 and one went right down through the top of my shirt. Kinda got "stuck" for a moment but I just wiggled around a bit and it came out. :rolleyes:

Samurai Penguin
March 21, 2004, 07:04 PM
My friend and I, both pretty new at this gun thing, have been practicing together. Her first burn was from her first gun--.40 Ruger P94 with a sticky extractor; when it wasn't misfeeding you never knew where the hot stuff would end up--that weapon has since been replaced. It's relevant to mention here that my friend is quite...er...well-endowed. :what:

The first I knew something was wrong was when she went digging around in her bra(never once sweeping anything she shouldn't, BTW), jumping in place...and laughing! Quite a change from those high-maintenance types who sob uncontrollably for 3 days when they break a nail. She wound up with a 2nd degree burn right between the..um, "twin peaks," and it seems it'll scar a wee bit. She's kind of proud of it. :cool:

The next one came from my gun (.40 S&W Sigma...look for a collaborative effort between me and Ala Dan--Guns Gone Wrong: When Sigmas Attack.) ;) She was standing a bit too close and caught one between her glasses and cheek. Vows to wear billed hats to the range were taken all around. Luckily, this one's gone away completely.

I've yet to get one. And of course, now that I've said that and knowing how my life goes, next time I go shooting there'll be one piece of brass that will follow a statistically-impossible path that would give M.C. Escher seizures and somehow fly right down my pants. Guaranteed. :rolleyes: :D

jamz
March 21, 2004, 07:26 PM
Well, I've only been shooting a lot in the past couple of months, but it happened to me. I was shooting a P-22, which tends to fling brass straight back over your head, sometimes bonking off your head on the way. One made it's way down my collar onto my neck, I did a mini-dance, which led to it going down to the small of my back, which made me do another mini-dance. :rolleyes:

-James

lycanthrope
March 21, 2004, 08:01 PM
I was the SO at a local IDPA match and while running a stage a round of hot .45 was ejected and somehow got stuck between my glasses and my eyelid.

Ouch.

Abominable No-Man
March 21, 2004, 08:26 PM
It's happened to me a couple of times. Pistol brass doesn't usually bug me, tho.

At a rifle range one time, me and a buddy were both in the same hole shooting at the pop-ups. Got to the point in the day where everyone was done & qualified, and we still had a few hundred rounds left, so the Safety Officer and the Range NCO decided to burn it up rather than do all the paperwork and hassle of turning the remainder in. Buddy and I gleefully loaded up (free ammo rocks!) and began pumping rounds downrange. Well, we got permission to put the M16's on burst and opened up, and the way I was situated in relation to his ejection port caused a couple to go down my back.

I had a flak jacket on, too..............ouch.

No permanent damage- lost a few cool points, tho.

ANM

XLMiguel
March 21, 2004, 08:32 PM
As noted by many, [small arms] hot brass is annoying, but no big deal. I've had it down my shirt, bounce offa my face (no harm there), caught in my glasses, etc., but since I know what it is, andit will cool quidk enough with no real harm, I can deal with it.

OTOH, I've had a hornet go down the back of my shirt while driving (sunroof open), fire ants in my boots, the odd snake bite, and some other [unknown at the time] biting critters attached in strange places, that'll make you dance:rolleyes:

MagKnightX
March 21, 2004, 08:33 PM
Well, I've never had a real burn, but once, when shooting my P99, a case ejected, hit the right stall wall, bounced off, and landed right in my shirt pocket. I wish I'd kept that case.

JohnKSa
March 21, 2004, 08:44 PM
Had a .22 case from a pistol bounce off the divider and land in the crook of my elbow just as I bent my arm. It left a neat brand on my arm, which, I am sad to report, eventually disappeared.

I was very careful to warn my girlfriend (now my wife) to button all the way up and push her shooting glasses up against her face the first time I took her to the range.

I also got a crescent cut from a piece of brass that came straight back into my forehead--scar from that faded too...

esheato
March 21, 2004, 08:58 PM
Ahh...if you shoot enough, it'll happen.

Shooting my SIG 226...ran a few high cap mags through it fairly quickly. Gun was hotter than Hades. One of them stuck itself right between my temple and the arm of my eyes. I didn't notice the sizzling for a few seconds and kept shooting. Once I smelled the burning flesh, I quickly put the gun down and ripped my eyes off. Nice burn and scar.

Ed

Combat-wombat
March 21, 2004, 09:03 PM
Happened to me at a THR shoot, Sven's gun (M1 Carbine) was right next to me and shot some .30 brass to me and it stuck on my shoulder. Ouch!

45R
March 21, 2004, 09:17 PM
I was at one of the local indoor ranges practicing with a .22 when one managed to go down my polo shirt and rolled off my shoulder. The spent casing was hotter than Hades as it rolled backwards and landed near my waistline. I was wearing belt as I got off work and I started a 45R dance with the darn Ruger in my hand. The whole time the GF watched and she said that it was amazing. I had hot brass burning my back and I still had my finger off the trigger and the gun pointed downrange. I managed to get the gun on the bench and pulled my shirt out far enough for the casing to drop on the floor.

It left a nice little scar on my back but importantly....I didnt break any of the rules......ahhhhh training training training!!!

Double Maduro
March 21, 2004, 09:42 PM
The first time I took my granddaughter, the oldest one 15 at the time and very much a lady, to the range we were shooting my 22/45 when a spent casing bounce off the wall and down her blouse lodging just south of the important parts. She calmly put the gun down and then started the dance. I was proud.

But not as proud as she was. As soon as we got home she had to show everyone her battle scar. She still has one of her targets up on the wall of her room and has been heard telling people that the most fun she has ever had with grandpa is when he took her "shootin'".

Gave her my shirt to wear backwards for the rest of the session. She didn't quit until we had gone through a brick of .22 and she could hardly lift her arms. The look of amazement and joy on her face when she fired the first round is burned in my memory forever.

DM

Stevie-Ray
March 21, 2004, 10:05 PM
I've posted this one a number of times, but, while shooting my Delta Elite, quite impressively BTW:D, I watched in fascination as a rather perfect shot resulted in an imperfect pass of the high-pressure round's case directly over my head in rather close proximity. Though it looked as if it were in slow motion, there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. It sparkled as it caught the light, heading in a lovely arc right down the back of my collar. A perfect swisher; I swear it touched not a thing until it reached my beltline, then proceeded to try to burn a hole through my paunch. I swear I could HEAR IT! Calmly,:rolleyes: I safed the gun, then proceeded to rip my clothing off in the most dignified fashion I could muster. When I had rid myself of the offending case, I noticed behind the glass were several "sympathizers" clapping their hands and stomping their feet reminding me of being in a 3 Stooges short. Don't you hate it when other people make light of your misfortunes?;)

Amish_Bill
March 21, 2004, 10:17 PM
it's happenned once or twice. Nothing bad enough to be memorable. I seem torecall the worst was a .223 that made through the open collar and down my chest. Ouchy!

Side note - when I am taking a new shooter (specifically a female one!) I always warn them that despite how nice it might look, any sort of low collar is not appropriate attire.

Declaration Day
March 21, 2004, 10:22 PM
during my CCW class. I was shooting my Springfield 1911 at an indoor range, with narrow stalls divided by plywood. A casing bounced off of the divider and lodged between my glasses and my head. Left a nice scar for about a year.

P95Carry
March 21, 2004, 10:24 PM
Got ''stung'' just 2 weeks ago .. a .22lr ejected and landed on the bench .. I all but instantly put my arm on it .... it left its mark!:p

Funniest tho was back in 80's - a real bear of a man Peter .. was on the line shooting classic pistol with several of us .... we were at the 7 yd line and he was shooting his lil .25. He suddenly dropped (well, placed, pointing safe) his gun and started hoppin around like a gazelle ... a case had gone down his back ... and of course he thought it was a hornet. Much merriment, at his expense!:D

Coltdriver
March 21, 2004, 10:32 PM
I'm shootin a Colt .45 full sized at the range.

Over the bench they had little spot lights.

I got my Oakley's on, slightly tilted up to get the ear pieces over my ear muffs.

After a half dozen mags a piece of brass flys up, hits the little spot light and forcefully lodges inself across my eyelid under the glasses. Blistered my eyelid before I could get it out.

Yeooooooochcccch!:fire:

The Undertoad
March 21, 2004, 11:37 PM
7.62FMJ, I'll do you one better! Two years ago on a FTX, we were assaulting a bunker. We actually captured the Opfor instead of killing him. A cadet who shall remain nameless decided to grab the Opfor's SAW by the barrel to disarm him. :eek: I bet he never makes that mistake again!

7.62FullMetalJacket
March 21, 2004, 11:44 PM
Branded for life. Quick, see if he can get a special "purple heart."

pax
March 22, 2004, 12:08 AM
I've caught a few over the years -- more than a few times down the shirt, too. Yes, I know to wear a high collar, but I guess I'm just lucky as the brass seems to like me quite a bit.

Lost cool points this weekend working as an RO -- at one point I found myself ducking rather than just nonchalantly brushing it aside or ignoring it. :o

Stevie-Ray ~ the sig's for you.

pax

On the outskirts of every agony sits some observant fellow who points. -- Virginia Woolf

olyAR73
March 22, 2004, 12:54 AM
Ever got caught under a little bird on a gun run, while wearing a flak-vest?
Talk about a one legged man in a kung-fu contest!!!:D

The funniest thing to watch is 4 S. Koreans running around with a tarp trying to catch the brass as it falls.

Black Majik
March 22, 2004, 02:15 AM
It has only happened to me once, and it was my very first time shooting. I was 12 yrs old shooting a .45 1911 and one brass went down the BACK of my shirt. My shirt was tucked and I had to lay the gun down then pull my shirt out of my pants to untuck it. Wow, what a first time shooting experience.

And oddly enough the 1911 was and still is what intrigues me most. :)

Bergeron
March 22, 2004, 03:21 AM
My favorite "hot-brass" memory came from a borrowed Smith 41 and the local .22 steel shoot.

The shoot involves 6 runs at a 12 target bank. I've just mowed over my fifth or so target when a piece of brass lands right between my trigger finger and the grip frame. I'm thinking to myself, "Ignore it, Ignore it", cuz it'll slow me down to get rid of. Got one more shot off before it just became too much. Decent excuse for my time, though.

My usual technique for brass is to just straighten out my trigger finger, keep everything down range, and wiggle until the offending piece of brass hits the ground. Made the mistake one time of shooting with a tucked in shirt when a 9mm case went down the back of my collar and firmly rested itself against my skin at the belt line. Last time I wore a tucked in shirt to the range.:o

Roadkill
March 22, 2004, 07:52 AM
Last week was out with a few friends, think we had 19 pistols between us, had spread a 20x20' tarp out to catch the brass, most all of the cases were well on the tarp, I loaded up a Russian Tokarev 33 with some surplus ammo for a buddy, with his first shot a steel case cleared the tarp by 15' and hit me in the neck, fell down and hung, I have a quarter sized scar. Have had 30.06 burn holes in the tarp.

rk

bukijin
March 22, 2004, 08:16 AM
Similar story to undertoad. Watched someone trying to change the barrel of a GPMG without putting on the protective glove first. They say it's the kind of mistake you only make once. Ouch !

Hot brass between glasses an eyelid. That's quite an achievement !

jpthegeek
March 22, 2004, 09:20 AM
Shooting the AR one day at my inlaws place. Had some brass go down my shirt but since i had an undershirt on, I didn't really notice although I fished out as many as I could. I thought I had all of it.

Went to dinner a while later and the casing started falling out of my shirts on to the tile floor of the resturant.

Got some strange looks.

Series 70
March 22, 2004, 11:43 AM
I've also had a piece of brass lodge between head and glasses. Mine was during an IDPA stage. I left it there while I fired the last two rounds - couldn't let it spoil my time! Got a second-degree burn out of the deal.

Mute
March 22, 2004, 12:03 PM
Stop, drop and roll....oh wait, that's when you're on fire. I've had it happen during a firearms training class. Brass from classmate went down the back of my shirt. Took finger off the trigger, kept gun pointed down range and did something that probably resembled a cross between the chicken dance and the macarena until it stopped burning me. Then, finished shooting, reholstered and pull my shirt out to let the offending piece of brass fall free. Not something I want to experience again.

cdbeaver
March 22, 2004, 12:18 PM
We who shoot wheel guns lead dull, ordinary lives, I guess.

mete
March 22, 2004, 12:37 PM
A P7 ejects brass at high speed to the right. I always tried to remember to have the RO stand to my left in IPSC matches. I forgot one day and hit the RO in the head , but he should have known better since he had a P7 too!!

DadOfThree
March 22, 2004, 12:57 PM
Took my daughter (12 yrs old) to an indoor range in Branson, MO. We had a coupon for rent 2 MP-5's for the price of one. We took turns shooting and while she was on the line, a piece of brass bounced off of the divider and lodged between her safety glasses and temple/eye brow. She started screaming "Dad! Dad! Dad!" I was standing directly behind her and had seen what happened. I reached up and flipped it out. I was so proud of her. There were a lot of tears but she kept both hands on the MP-5, finger off the trigger, and pointed down range the entire time!

sturmruger
March 22, 2004, 01:16 PM
My buddy and I were at the range shooting his new Mini 30. I was standing just to the right of him while he was working his way through a 20 round mag. Just as I was blinking a spent case flew into my left eye!!! It bruised and burnt my eyelid, then fell down my collar to burn me some more.

Needless to say I have remembered my safety glasses ever since!!

Edited: WOO HOOO 500 posts!!!

woolfam
March 22, 2004, 02:22 PM
<brag on> The first time he shot our new Ruger 22/45, my 16 year old son had a shell from the 3rd round of the 10 round clip pop back and land at the base of his neck on his collar bone. I watched as he quickly, but calmly, clicked on the safety, laid the gun down, and then brushed the shell away. I was impressed with his presence of mind. <brag off>

JamisJockey
March 22, 2004, 04:18 PM
Almost everyday I went to the Rifle Range when I was in the Marines. Had to qualify once a year, and you're on the range usually 5 days.
The worst I ever got, however, was during some patrol training, we setup an ambush and I parked my arse too close to the SAW gunner. When we sprang our little ambush, I got about a dozen spent blanks down the back of my shirt...
:banghead:

jrhead75
March 22, 2004, 07:00 PM
Almost everyday I went to the Rifle Range when I was in the Marines. Amen to that! M16A1 on full auto uses the collar of a lefthanded shooter's utilities as a convenient brass catcher...I got some magnificent blisters, and a lifelong appreciation of shooting righthanded! :what:

Grampa
March 22, 2004, 08:06 PM
One particular, although harmless incident comes to mind. I had just bought a Browning 22 takedown with the bottom ejection. (I'm a southpaw, so it seemed a natural.) I hunkered down on the bench and popped off a few, and one goes down the sleeve of my strong hand. Dang! That hurt and left a mark. Well, that sure was a fluke. It took two matching burns for me to decide I needed to tape my sleeve closed.

Grampa

Detritus
March 22, 2004, 08:48 PM
have to set the scene some.....

back just before i moved away from NC. A friend adn I are the only two on the range on a rather blistering august day.
this particular range has all kinds of "improvised seating arangements" (the seat out of school buses, both sides of a double sided resturant booth, and all kinds of wood constructs) along with differing tables under the "overheads".
I've decided that i want to take a break and just sit back adn relax for a bit, so i get comfy sitting on one of the benches, feet propped up on a table infront of me, i'm wearing slightly baggy shorts and a t-shirt....

my buddy is trying out his new AK-clone, with what i beleive to have been wolf Ammo (was lacquered steel case)....
i start to doze off and then a spot at the juncture of the top of my left leg and the corresponding buttcheek starts screaming "Hey! stupid there's someting HOT down here and it HURTS!!!! "

yes i managed to get a piece of brass UP my pantleg :o

i'm told the dance i performed would have inspired a monsoon if performed elsewhere.....

yy
March 22, 2004, 09:29 PM
well, off the top of my head...

I took a couple friends shooting and had them try a 9-mm AR/carbine. i was in the next stall (to the right, silly me) with my pistol after showing them the how's.

Then I kept feeling something bouncing off my head. The third time that something bounced, I looked down to see the brass landing. They weren't mine... They were flying over the stall divider and bouncing off the top of my head...

On a related note, I once lost a key. Tore up the entire office looking for it. Gave up after a cuople days. then found it in three weeks when the dry cleaning came back. It landed in the cuff of my pants. I walked it home looking for it.

On a further related note, a diamond dealer related this story: A young couple was shopping for an engagement ring and was shown various rocks. One went -fling- off the counter. Fell out of the diamond holder. So the SOP was to freeze everyone and sweep the floor. Nope, nothing. They finally found the rock lodged in the insignia of the guy's tennis shoes, dead center.

TechBrute
March 22, 2004, 10:25 PM
I've had the brass wedged in between the temple and glasses thing. It hurt.

I was shooting full-auto with an AR and managed to land 4 pieces of brass in the rear of my collar. It didn't hurt at the time, but it hurt for the following 2 days.

The .45 on the temple was worse than the .223 cases down the back.

jaysouth
March 22, 2004, 10:53 PM
About five years ago, on the friday after Thanksgiving, we were at my Sister's farm in AR. To get there, you go down a bunch of miles of bad road. There are no neighbors for miles. We were tacking targets to a mostly fallen down barn and blazing away. After an hour or so we got bored with paper targets. We tried to come up with some kind of moving target, but nothing came to mind. Finally, we decided that if the targets wouldn't move, it might be more fun if we were shooting from on the move.

We got organized. We put out safety stakes on each side of the barn. A safety was posted in the back seat. Only one shooter could shoot at a time and it was the safety's job to keep the shooters elbows out of the car by maintaining pressure on their collar with his hands. I was driving on the first run. We circled the barn and passed the first safety stake, I gave the command "commense firing". The first shooter was my mother, just past 80 at the time, shooting her Glock 19. Well, Mother is so small that the safety thought her elbows were out of the card, but in fact her wrists were propped on the window sill. She fired one round and the brass went down the back of my collar. I slamed on the brakes, screamed "cease fire" put the car in park and jumped out. For the next 30 or so seconds I treated all the assembled friends and relatives to the spectacle of seeing the old fat guy dance like a rapper. I may not live long enought to live that one down.

And I know that a major auto rental agency has a big flag besides my name in the database. When I turned the Lincoln Towncar in at the airport in Memphis, it was covered with mud and cow manure. Rolling around on the floor were 20 or 30 empty beer cans and about a hundred spend 9mm rounds. Who said you can't mix alcohol, gunpowder and gasoline!

A nephew living in the Chicago area brought his new bride to this, her first family gathering. Really nice girl considering that she is a french native. Since that time, the closest she will get to Arkansas is Cicero, IL. LOL

Brad Johnson
March 23, 2004, 02:34 PM
A couple of years ago I was at a range with some relatives, including a cousin with a significant front overhang which pulls up his shirt and pushes down his jeans downs resulting in classic "plumber's butt". At one point during the day he was bending over his range bag with his rear end towards the firing line. All of a sudden he was doing the Dance and hollering. Guess where the brass went!

Brad

Lennyjoe
March 23, 2004, 08:43 PM
Left hand shooter here.

No left hand M-16's in the military.

Brass deflector installed on M-16 (not my choice)

90 degrees in Georgia with humidity at 98%

BDU shirt off, shooting in a tee shirt.

During qualification I had 3 rounds land on my right arm during 10 shot timed prone position shoot.

Walked away with 3 nice .223 brass inprints on my right forearm.

hso
March 23, 2004, 10:09 PM
.45 up and over the left lens on the safety glasses and sizzzzzzling on the left cheek just below the eyelid.:what: tossed the glasses and did the Curley Joe dance.

JamisJockey
March 24, 2004, 08:44 AM
Amen to that! M16A1 on full auto
You date yourself with a comment like that....
:neener:
When I was in, we weren't using the A1 anymore, the Corps had moved on to the A2...
The good news was that only meant one piece of brass at a time :D

Red_SC
March 24, 2004, 09:24 AM
I caught some 9mm down my shirt when I was qualifying one time. I finished the timed string and holstered up before getting it out. A little red mark, no permanent brand. That was all right, though. The girl that was shooting when I caught it ended up getting some herself before too long.:evil:

jrhead75
March 24, 2004, 09:25 AM
You date yourself with a comment like that.... Yeah, I'm well past my "use by" date. :D

IIRC, that particular M16 also had the old three prong "wire cutter" style flash suppressor on it. Now THAT'S old! :what:

Labinnac
March 24, 2004, 09:47 AM
A couple of summers ago around July 4th. Myself, and a few other guys from the office were doing some coppering testing on some M240 barrels. We went out to a local outdoor range with a pair of M240s, an M249, and about 9000 rounds of ammo. The idea was to just shoot 4000 rounds through 2 barrels at a HOT firing schedule to see how copper deposited on them.

I started out prone firing from the bipod and being July in SC I was wearing a ratty old T shirt. To keep the test consistent we had to maintain the firing schedule and couldn't stop unless we had a stoppage in the gun.

Within 250 rounds I flopped around like an epileptic at a laser show once every 10 rounds or so. Little did I realize I was on a slight slope and every 10th round would eject and roll slowly back into my sensitive exposed forearm skin. A few came at me fast, but the majority were slow rollers and I could see them coming but couldn't move far or get completely out of the way. And the real joy was when the last couple actually STUCK to my hide and sizzled a little bit.

I had little boat hull shaped burn marks all over my forearms.

Fun times!

65_Toy
March 24, 2004, 11:37 AM
I only remember two "bad" ones:

5.56 brass caught between my chin strap and cheek, from my buddy firing next to me. Brushed it away and noticed later I had a 1/4" tall blister.

A HMMV mounted 50 cal that was firing over the wall we were using as cover, he changed his direction of fire and one of the first bursts sent the brass over me, the next right on top, one of the casings landed above my glove below my sleeve, and stuck. It took off the skin when I brushed it off. Still have the scar 13 years later.

Dorrin79
March 24, 2004, 03:35 PM
only bad one I ever had was a .45 casing that bounced off the stall and went behind my glasses; got trapped between glasses and cheekbone.

Ouch - I had a nasty blister for a couple of weeks after that.

I'm usually pretty good about wearing tight-collared shirts when shooting to avoid doing the Dance of Pain.

WhiteKnight
March 24, 2004, 03:37 PM
A couple of summers ago around July 4th. Myself, and a few other guys from the office were doing some coppering testing on some M240 barrels. We went out to a local outdoor range with a pair of M240s, an M249, and about 9000 rounds of ammo.

Oh, the envy! :o

TamThompson
March 24, 2004, 03:41 PM
OH, yeah, back before I knew to wear high-neck shirts for shooting. Happened during my CHL shootin' test. Danged shell went right down the middle of my bra, right between...yeah, there. Not good.

I was also gettin' lots more brass on my head and shoulders (we were in a line outside), so I just pretended like I was in a war and had to endure, and I did. Which was weird, since I have never been in a war. (Yet, although I expect to see the second American revolution or Civil War 2 in my lifetime...)

If you enjoyed reading about "Share Your "Hot Brass" Stories" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!