Loading Lever Extension

PDA

ALJS
July 30, 2013, 08:51 PM
Does anyone use a loading lever extension to make it easier to press the ball into the cylinder? Thought it was a good idea. I saw them for sale on gun broker a while ago but never got one. They are gone now but it doesn't seem like it would be hard to make if I wanted one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading Lever Extension" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hellgate
July 31, 2013, 02:17 AM
I've just drilled a 3/8" hole into the rounded end of a hardwood dowel 3/4"-1" dia and 3-4" long to make a "cheater" that was easier on my hand when using a gun with a short barrel and rammer. Others have slipped a copper or heavy vinyl pipe/tubing over the rammer for more leverage.

fineredmist
July 31, 2013, 08:52 AM
Be careful with this as you can break the lever at the pivot point. The Colt 1851 Navy and pistols with similar loading arrangements are weak in that area, dismantle the lever and you will see there is very little metal around the screw hole.

4v50 Gary
July 31, 2013, 09:59 AM
If you're having difficulty reloading your cap 'n ball, then make a loading press for it. In the long run it's cheaper than replacing broken levers.

Fingers McGee
July 31, 2013, 12:35 PM
I use a 6" piece of thick wall Tygon (aquarium) tubing on my short barreled revolvers to enhance leverage and on the long barreled ones to keep the loading lever latch from digging into the palm of my hand.

J-Bar
July 31, 2013, 07:02 PM
On my 5.5 inch revolvers I use an historically accurate piece of 1/2 inch plastic pvc pipe (!) wrapped with leather, and with one end of the leather strap strung down the center of pipe to cushion the end of the lever. I use nothing on the longer barrelled guns...don't want to inadvertently apply too much force. With pure lead balls, it is not necessary.

Gaucho Gringo
July 31, 2013, 08:38 PM
I just use an off the gun cylinder loader. No wear on the gun or me. YMMV.

ALJS
August 1, 2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the information. I probably don't need anything but was curious if many used something to assist loading.

rcmodel
August 1, 2013, 09:07 PM
Maybe your balls are too hard??

As others pointed out, there are several weak links in several loading lever designs.

If they thought they needed a cheater bar?

They would have made them more robust.

rc

Pancho
August 1, 2013, 11:23 PM
Like Fingers and I have experienced the latch digging into my palm. I use a short piece of 1/2" PVC to cure that.

ALJS
August 2, 2013, 07:03 PM
I like the PVC idea.

Old No7
August 5, 2013, 09:46 PM
Just for a little bit different idea...

I found a wooden "goose egg" at a craft shop, while my bride was shopping, and I drilled a hole in the end of that. It's a large enough diameter that it's comfortable to hold, and like the other ideas above, it keeps the loading lever's latch from digging into my palm.

Tight groups!

Old No7

shiftyer1
August 10, 2013, 04:26 PM
I found this post after I bent the loading lever on my short barrel 1858 last nite using a cheater.

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading Lever Extension" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!