Egg Shoot (225ish yds.) best <$2K, cal./gun/scope

PDA

VTmtn.man
July 31, 2013, 08:44 PM
So a bunch of my range buds have been doing these egg shoots at 200 meters. .22-250, .22swift, .204 are what they are using. Any thoughts on what cal. might shave off a cm. or two in accuracy given the same shooter (recoil/wind drift etc. etc.) What power scope is ideal? I'm thinking of taking a .260 rem AR w/ SWFA x 16 scope, to the next (my first) shoot. I guess that any flinch issues I might have w/ the larger case size will come to light... Any thoughts or comments on aborting a would be chicken w/ a bullet at 200 meters... is welcome

If you enjoyed reading about "Egg Shoot (225ish yds.) best <$2K, cal./gun/scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Captcurt
July 31, 2013, 10:47 PM
I would have to try it. There are some 100 grainers that will sizzle out of a 260 and the one that I had shot them very well.

MichigammeDave
August 1, 2013, 08:36 AM
22-250 is nice, but I give a slight edge to 25-06, just for the little extra mass. I also like the 16 power scope setting.

LeonCarr
August 1, 2013, 10:37 AM
Do you have to eat the egg raw if you miss?

I would shoot a varmint type bolt action .223 with 52 Grain Sierra Matchking handloads. Inexpensive to shoot and practice with and Sub-MOE (Minute Of Egg) accurate.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

tomrkba
August 1, 2013, 11:14 AM
Any half to three quarter MOA rifle will do it. Match grade ammo is very important for a task like this. I shot a young prairie dog in the head at about 200 yards with a Savage 10FP (Accutrigger only, but a dollar bill between the barrel and stock never touched the barrel) in 308 Winchester. The optic was a Pride-Fowler RR800-1 and I shot it prone using a bipod. Ammo was Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain. The Savage was a three quarter MOA rifle in my hands; it did at most half MOA for a good shooter. This was out of the box with only lapping of the bolt, basic barrel break-in and 400 rounds through the gun.

eastbank
August 1, 2013, 12:22 PM
rem 700 lvs in .223 rem. with a 6.5x20 leupold with a 1/8 dot, this rifle will shoot into 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds. i have shot groups less than one inch at 300 yds with no wind off a bench. eastbank.

HOOfan_1
August 1, 2013, 01:01 PM
rem 700 lvs in .223 rem. with a 6.5x20 leupold with a 1/8 dot, this rifle will shoot into 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds. i have shot groups less than one inch at 300 yds with no wind off a bench. eastbank.

Yeah, at 200 yards, I would say it is more about the individual gun than the caliber.

Reloadron
August 1, 2013, 01:09 PM
If you want to shoot eggs at 200 yards I agree the .223 is a very good choice.

If you want to get cool about eggs at 200 yards you also may want to consider finding an old Ruger 77 factory chambered in the 6PPC cartridge. While cartridges like the 22-250 and similar are great the 6PPC at 200 yards will drive tacks.

Regardless of cartridge choice your best ammunition is going to come from rolling your own match quality ammunition in my opinion. That would be my opinion anyway.

Ron

taliv
August 1, 2013, 02:09 PM
there are some trade offs. do a search for the "30 cal rule" in HP, which came about because so many shots were JUST outside the next scoring ring that it made a difference whether you were shooting 223 and got a miss or 308 and got a hit just because of the larger diameter bullet. if you shoot enough eggs, a 45 cal will clip the shell and get a few more breaks than a 17 cal that might be a miss.

the trade off is wind of course, and recoil and probably $

it's kind of funny shooting IPSC/IDPA at 5-30 yards on a 30" target, how much time you spend in a match debating whether the grease ring or paper tears cut the A or B zone perforations.

VTmtn.man
August 1, 2013, 10:55 PM
I don't know about gas vs. bolt guns. I have A-bolt Browning's x 3 (06,.308, 7-08), Win. model 70's in x 2 (30-06) but never feel as though I have the precision for > 200 yd shots with them... It might be a flinch factor for me. I can take one of my .308 bull barrel AR's and "tack drive" at 200yds. I know that 'inherently' the bolt guns should out shoot my gas guns, but that has not been my experience. It may be a familiarity/comfort issue w/ the particular setup. I started out with the AR platform, so it just might be me... More moving parts etc. I understand that, just don't know how 'inherently' inferior the "gas gun" is when moving up to the next level of precision shooting?... Granted, I don't have a sm. cal. bolt gun to compare accuracy at similar recoils.

C-grunt
August 2, 2013, 04:54 PM
Remington 700P in 223. Get a Timney trigger and get the stock bedded. Then a decent scope with at least 16x and you should be golden.

jogar80
August 2, 2013, 05:10 PM
Remington 700P in 223. Get a Timney trigger and get the stock bedded. Then a decent scope with at least 16x and you should be golden.
That's the ticket right there

claiborne
August 2, 2013, 05:15 PM
I like my CZ 527 American, 19 Badger for eggs. The 32 gr bullet at 3700 fps will vaporize eggs at 200 meters. My favorite thing is there is almost no noticeable recoil so I can see the eggs misting when hit. always a smiling proposition. The only problem is this is a hunting rifle so I only have a 6x scope on it; the eggs can be tough to see depending on the position of the sun.
As well, I like using my Kimber Longmaster Classic 223. 50 gr Nosler ballistic tips at 3200 fps explode the eggs pretty well. With my scope set on 14.5x, the eggs are much easier to see.
My 22-250 will demolish the eggs as well but the added recoil always gets in the way of seeing the eggs explode.
In short, I suggest a small caliber rifle with low recoil for maximum enjoyment!
:D:D:D:D:D

dprice3844444
August 2, 2013, 05:20 PM
you should drain the egg out for breakfast and fill the shell with tannerite

Reloadron
August 2, 2013, 05:27 PM
For those in the Remington 700 family fan club the below rifle was born as a Remington 725 years ago chambered in the .222 Remington cartridge, note the blued action. As part of a class this was my rifle project. I trued the action and fitted a stainless .224 barrel chambered in .223 Remington. The rifle consistently delivers sub one quarter MOA groups which should kill an egg at 200 yards easily. The slow 1:12 twist favors the lighter 55 grain bullets. The muzzle has an eleven degree muzzle crown.

http://www.bearblain.com/images/725%203.png

http://www.bearblain.com/images/725%202.png

However, I would still suggest the 6 PPC if all you want to do is murder eggs as I also built a 6 PPC on a Remington 700 action and it will group tighter than the .223 all day long.

So do you want to murder eggs or murder eggs plus a few varmints tossed in? :)

Ron

MinnesotaFats
August 2, 2013, 05:29 PM
if theres no wind, caliber size would make no difference. all you need is an accurate rifle of any cal. and an accurate shooter.

MinnesotaFats
August 2, 2013, 05:37 PM
I would recommend a rifle at least dual purpose. my personal opinion would be a real accurate .243 win. that caliber covers a lot of game...and eggs.

Manny
August 2, 2013, 05:53 PM
I'd be looking for the most accurate rifle in at least a 6mm bore to to minimize wind drift and a clear fine dot scope with 1/8" adjustments. Savage offers their F class rifle in 6mm Benchrest that is supposed to shoot lights out.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/07/savage-6br-factory-rifle-delivers-superb-accuracy/

Add the best ammo and best scope you can and you should be well set.

Redlg155
August 2, 2013, 06:05 PM
Buy bigger eggs. Preferably Ostrich.

MinnesotaFats
August 2, 2013, 06:11 PM
+1 on the savage suggestion.

VTmtn.man
August 3, 2013, 12:20 AM
Great feedback! The 6 PPC is a new 'animal', have not heard about it. I generally gravitate toward utilitarian cal. / availability of components. 6mm shouldn't be too hard to find in bullets but the brass of 6 PPC, not so sure?... My next build will likely be in the 6.5mm realm, as bullets are readily available at my local dealer & I've got tons of brass to stuff them in.

Placed an order today for that egg shoot gun. I ordered a x 20 power SWFA scope with the MRAD retical. I currently have a x 16 power SWFA (MRAD) on my .260 but an extra few powers might bring some extra "clarity" to the next shoot...

Thanks all, great comments and smart remarks... I think that I'll try that Ostridge egg thing, but if I get caught it might get some 'egg on my face'!

LeonCarr
August 3, 2013, 06:37 PM
Reloadron...nice rig :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

sscoyote
August 3, 2013, 06:50 PM
The most accurate bullet I and my friends have shot to longer 22 caliber ranges (223/22 BR/22-250 capacity) generally have been the JLK Low Drags 52 to 65's. The BC's on those bullets are about as high as it gets for their recommended twist rates. In fact Jimmy Knox designed those bullets years ago to provide some competition for the 6mm's for 200-500 yd. bench shooting.

Reloadron
August 3, 2013, 07:12 PM
Reloadron...nice rig :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Thank you, it was a fun and learning project gun. The second was the 6 PPC which didn't go quite as well. :( Need to find a short action Remington bolt. Thinking PTG.

Ron

redneck2
August 4, 2013, 08:30 AM
My S-I-L has a factory Savage in 6br. 8x32x40 Burris scope. Getting it set up for 1k yards. Golf balls at 150 yards are not a challenge. Rather heavy so it has zero recoil.

If you enjoyed reading about "Egg Shoot (225ish yds.) best <$2K, cal./gun/scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!