Nosler .308 Caliber 168 Grain HP Match Bullets for Coyote

PDA

Grumulkin
August 1, 2013, 05:37 AM
I was wondering if Nosler match bullets would work on coyote. If I put one in the chest, would the coyote die right there, run off or would the bullet zip right through doing very little damage?

If you enjoyed reading about "Nosler .308 Caliber 168 Grain HP Match Bullets for Coyote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Centurian22
August 1, 2013, 06:54 AM
Generally "match" HP's are not recommended for hunting as its a very different hollow point. Hunting HP's are designed for expansion where match HP's are to shift the weight back on the bullet. That said, seeing as coyotes are being taken with .17's I'm sure most any .308 will 'do the job' but my guess would be a straight pass through with no expansion unless it struck bone. Can it be done? Probably. Should it be done? That's for you to decide.

If it were me and I were shooting yotes on my property to protect my family / homestead and I couldn't get any other bullet would I use it, absolutely. I would make any and all attempts possible to find a better bullet in the interest of the cleanest kill possible. If I were hunting yotes just to hunt them, I would not use match bullets and would wait until I obtained something better.

Good luck and I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will come along soon to offer a more educated reply.

yzguy87
August 1, 2013, 09:11 AM
I think centurion22 hit the nail on the head. Good luck with hunting coyotes here!

Btw, where do you hunt coyote here in Ohio? Pubic or private ground? I know they're thick around southern Fairfield county by Hocking county. I just don't know of any pucblic ground to hunt around there and getting permission on private ground has proved fruitless so far.

LeonCarr
August 1, 2013, 09:30 AM
Will they work?, Yes.

Will 125 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips provide better terminal performance and be just as accurate?, Yes.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

SlamFire1
August 1, 2013, 09:52 AM
Those are very expensive bullets to be shooting coyotes and they are not designed to anything but make a one hole group. Considering coyotes are very thin skinned it would be more humane to use a more frangible bullet.

I think, and maybe someone knows for sure, that match bullets were banned from use by military snipers because they have unpredictable terminal behaviors. Sometimes they would make a nice clean hole, other times they would disintegrate.

Maybe that does not apply with terrorists as I have heard of the military using 77 SMK's.

Art Eatman
August 1, 2013, 10:10 AM
Odds are that the lower recoil of a 110-grain varmint bullet in thirty caliber would make it a better choice.

Purely in the FWIW department: While on my way to deer camp with my '06, I used a Federal Premium High Energy for a broadside shot on a coyote at about 40 or 50 yards. The 165-grain Sierra HPBT (MV 3,150) put a double handful of coyote on the ground. Even so, he spun around two or three times and managed to run about fifty feet before quitting.

Grumulkin
August 1, 2013, 06:29 PM
http://www.orchardphoto.com/j19ud-213.jpg

Good luck with hunting coyotes here!

Btw, where do you hunt coyote here in Ohio? Pubic or private ground? I know they're thick around southern Fairfield county by Hocking county. I just don't know of any pucblic ground to hunt around there and getting permission on private ground has proved fruitless so far.

I don't think you'd have much luck "hunting" coyotes where I live in Fairfield County. I've tried predator calls several times with no luck. I do have a special place I put dead groundhogs I shoot and the one above may have been hopeing for another free meal.

The coyote was taken from my "hide," i.e., off shooting sticks from my front porch around dusk. The range was about 100 yards.

Of course, good camo is essential.

Those are very expensive bullets to be shooting coyotes and they are not designed to anything but make a one hole group. Considering coyotes are very thin skinned it would be more humane to use a more frangible bullet.

I think, and maybe someone knows for sure, that match bullets were banned from use by military snipers because they have unpredictable terminal behaviors. Sometimes they would make a nice clean hole, other times they would disintegrate.

Maybe that does not apply with terrorists as I have heard of the military using 77 SMK's.

Actually, the bullets weren't expensive at all as they are Nosler seconds.

The behavior of these bullets is fairly predictable. In The Ultimate Sniper, it says they usually fragment but that penetration is much like a solid. Of course, the discussion there was about Sierra MatchKings but Nosler match bullets are similar. In the case of the above coyote, I couldn't see the entry wound and the exit wound was small; not bad since it had a pretty nice hide which I'm getting tanned.

Odds are that the lower recoil of a 110-grain varmint bullet in thirty caliber would make it a better choice.

Purely in the FWIW department: While on my way to deer camp with my '06, I used a Federal Premium High Energy for a broadside shot on a coyote at about 40 or 50 yards. The 165-grain Sierra HPBT (MV 3,150) put a double handful of coyote on the ground. Even so, he spun around two or three times and managed to run about fifty feet before quitting.

Recoil doesn't bother me much; even at the 458 Lott/378 Weatherby level so recoil with a 110 grain versus a 168 grain bullet is inconsequential to me.

I had a similar situation with a coyote last year I shot with a 22-250 with a soft nosed bullet, 60 grains if I remember correctly, at a range of about 200 yards. The coyote ran FAST for about 300 yards before realizing it was dead. In looking at the nice hole the bullet made, I believe it was a heart shot. If the field hadn't been harvested, I never would have found it.

And finally, the results with the 168 grain BTHP match bullet; the coyote dropped like a sack of rocks and didn't go anywhere.

http://www.orchardphoto.com/j19ud-207.jpg

The reason I used Nolser match bullets is because they shoot quite well in my gun. If it did better with Barnes bullets, Core-Lokts or anything else I've tried, I would have used those.

Lennyjoe
August 1, 2013, 07:23 PM
I use 115 Gr Sierra Matchkings out of my 6.8 SPC AR15 and they put yote's down every time. Pretty sure there are better bullets out there but so far the Matchkings have not failed me. I only use those because I'm too lazy to build another load. This one is uber accurate so I never really developed another load.

Other inputs may vary....

jmr40
August 1, 2013, 07:23 PM
It is not the ideal hunting bullet. But if it shot accurately in my rifle I'd use it on coyotes. If that is the load I had, I wouldn't stay home waiting on a better bullet.

yzguy87
August 3, 2013, 02:05 PM
Nice shooting and good clean kill!
Only reason I mentioned Fairfield was because I've seen 4-5 dead coyotes on the south end of the Lancaster bypass. A couple weeks ago a coyote ran across the bypass about 1-2 miles past Tarklin Rd headed west.

Btw, I like the M1A!

Zoogster
August 5, 2013, 12:55 PM
Seems a little heavy for coyotes.

I am sure it will work fine since it is more rifle than needed for coyotes, but one of the reasons for lighter bullet use is they pose risk to humans and structures for less distance, and the severity of the risk they pose drops faster, while also often being more devastating within a shorter range which is within the range you seem to need them.

The 168 grain match rounds are used for long ranges because they retain energy better and are more resistant to wind over long distances, giving predictable trajectories. Ranges I imagine are quite in excess of most coyote hunting available around Ohio. Thier properties are less ideal for the short and mid range shooting than some other choices available, both in terminal effectiveness and safety.

Of course when talking about a semi auto platform other factors come into play. Not all options cycle as well, and it seems you aleady know both accuracy and reliable cycling overlap in the 168 grain rounds.

Grumulkin
August 5, 2013, 07:30 PM
Where I shoot, the target could be 400 yards away.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nosler .308 Caliber 168 Grain HP Match Bullets for Coyote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!