How do you start a gun club?

PDA

pdt203
March 21, 2004, 08:47 PM
I have just read the latest of Fred's articles in SGN and I think I would like to help start a shooting org. What would be the best way to start? I know some guys at work that would like to shoot and we are planning a once a month Saturday at the range.

Anything special I need to know before I start?

Thanks!

Johnny in Huntsville

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you start a gun club?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
March 21, 2004, 10:46 PM
#One is to talk to the NRA.
There are all kinds of liability issues you need to work out first, so nobody gets sued.
]
They're the pros on shooting ranges and gun clubs.

PATH
March 22, 2004, 02:13 AM
What dfariswheel said! NRA is a good place to start. Best of luck!!!

Freedomv
March 22, 2004, 04:00 AM
Johnny in huntsville,
Great idea to start a club. Once you contact the NRA etc, get ready for the WORK. I speak from experince here. I have found that there is more to a gun club than just shooting. Make sure everyone pulls their wieght as you will wear down (enthusiasm) sp.
I have found that it is nice if not a necessity to have a place to gather and and hold meeting to talk-make plans for shooting events etc.,,, usually someones garage or basement etc.
Club picnics and shooting days are great. Think pig roast, chilli cook off etc for family fun while shooting- You must not forget the wife and kids and girl friends etc. You will find that there will be a certain few who do all or most of the work. Try not to let this happen as when they wear down the club will fall apart. I hate to say it but I have experinced this first hand in several differant cluds. Gun clubs- motorcycle clubs etc. It dosen't always happen that way and I don't want to discourage you, just make you aware.
Some of my most enjoyable time was spent with club organized activities .
I wish you the best and remember to have fun, Good shooting
Vern

keyhole
March 22, 2004, 03:29 PM
All good idea's, but remember, and be prepared to do most of the work, should you have "less than active members" . In ours, we have over 100 members, and usually 8-13 attend meetings, and workdays. Matches are getting better, with 20 shooters at Sundays match.

Good luck.

RustyHammer
March 22, 2004, 04:19 PM
THR Gun Club !

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you start a gun club?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!