Local club has gone goofy

PDA

Icky The Great
August 2, 2013, 07:17 PM
So when I joined this sportsman assn. 16 yrs ago I was told I could fire anything as long as I fill in my craters and put out my fires. The shooting range is limited to 100 meters and is often occupied by LEOs and Military groups doing their quals. Makes for a nice day of scrounging even though I don't get to fire a shot being its a closed range those days.
Anyway, some yahoos found the range and began coming down infrequently. They were not members or guests. So one day these fine and upstanding people opted to shoot over a hill down range. I say hill but its 120' tall from the creek bottom and the range is 20' above the creek at the down range side which is the lowest point. So this meat monkey's bullet rockets skyward and hits a pregnant woman on a motorcycle going down the interstate. It sounds far fetched but I am not joking. Can't make this stuff up. I will try to find the atricle for it later. So in come the Feds. After much discussion and threats of closure and all that, we are forced into a stringent insuranse policy and the club now is being transferred from private property to a tax free private club. And now begin the woes.
My once relaxed club has adopted some extremely stringant and oppressive policies. We are all now require to wear our membership in fishing licsense holders. Eye and ear protection are mandoatory and strictly enforced. (I realize this but I have got warned twice (I'm one step away from being removed) for not wearing eyes and ears while handling a firearm while range is hot. The first was me swabbing out my barrel during break in. As I am not allowed to do this during range clear, the closest shooter was 30' away and firing a handgun. I was with out glasses. And the second I was alone on the range and wasn't using ears while firing my .22cal PCP Air Rifle (has a moderator shroud and pushes 1000fps). Am I wrong for feeling angry over this? The latest move was they installed bench blockers to keep you from viewing the top of the hill while shooting from the benches. I went to the last few meeting and was told to stop arguing against my warnings. At the last meeting I made no mention of my position but brought up that I do not feel safe having an obstructed view of the whole range. I, in the past, have seen people walking on top of the hill and called a cease fire. It doens't seem right that all this is happening. The yahoo who started all this was taken into custody and punished for his actions. I just can't figure it all out. I know of several members who will not be renewing their membership due to all this, some have been there 40+ years.
I wish I could see some other clubs across the nation and show examples of safety without exseccive measures and reprisals from the officers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Local club has gone goofy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Icky The Great
August 2, 2013, 07:26 PM
Articles:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-west/pregnant-woman-shot-on-i-79-404664/

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-west/police-charge-man-in-shooting-of-pregnant-mom-407594/

cslinger
August 2, 2013, 07:58 PM
I, personally, see nothing wrong with a well controlled range. Hell after what happened you are lucky you still have a range. Also have no issue with the blockers to keep fire in the berm. Eyes and ears are also a good policy no matter what. I shoot air guns on my range from time to time and still wear ears.

Which brings me to my real question? What kinda PCP .22 ya running. Been thinking of dabbling in those waters.

RetiredUSNChief
August 2, 2013, 08:29 PM
Liability is a [w]itch.

It's amazing how the actions of a few can spoil things for the many. However, it seems to me that many of the range rules you cited are nothing more than typical range rules...always wear your PPE when the range is hot and such.

I'm thinking you should grin and bear it.

Icky The Great
August 2, 2013, 11:51 PM
@ Cslinger, its a Benjamin Maurader. They come in .177, .22, and .25. PCPs are being made now up into the .50 range. There are many Youtube videos on them, some being used to harvest big game in Africa (Benjamin Rouge .357) Check out Edgun's channel. Heres a sample vid link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNTepTqFRpk

I understand the safety aspect but I feel as if they are going way over board looking for the most minute thing to hassle people about. It seems as if they want people to leave the club. This is my underlying concern. And the fact they will not even discuss or allow any explaination just makes me wonder how much they care for the place. As I stated, I have been a member for 16+yrs and have met some wonderful people and had some damned good times down there. But all this change seems to be negativity toward the members. We have no say, cannot vote about issues, can't even call concern to issues. We are being ignored directly from those in the officers chair and some have called their motives into question. I also can not see how all members are being criminalized for the actions of some jackass who was not invited nor a member of the club. That to me seems like I am being accused. Especially since the 2 gigs I now carry.
I have been searching other venues at which to shoot. Unfortunately most other clubs are a long way off and have no direct route to them. Thus making the journey more of a task than a means to fun.

GJSchulze
August 3, 2013, 12:58 AM
I'm in agreement with the others. My first thought was if those yahoos used the range more than once, then your club knew about it and did nothing. I understand that you are unhappy with the changes, but nothing you mention is unusual. My range has everything you mentioned. Our range also has a high hill as a backstop. There are houses on the other side and there have been complaints about finding bullets. If someone is caught firing over the hill, they will record the serial number of your gun and terminate your membership. If a LEO comes asking about someone shooting over the hill your info will be given to them. The club is in a populated area and does not want to be closed down.

I can't imagine any ulterior motive for the changes. I can think of liability and insurance reasons, which you state were made. Your club was lucky not to be closed considering they didn't have rules that most clubs have. Give your officers a break; they were only doing what they had to do.

yzguy87
August 3, 2013, 02:53 PM
"Liability is a [w]itch."
Couldn't have said it better!
The outdoor range I frequent has a locked gate that only members have a key access to. If theres too much nonsense then you'll be kicked out.
I do feel for you. I think it sucks that everyone has to pay for one mans's VERY STUPID mistake.
I think if I was in your shoes I'd try to find another outdoor range. But that's just me.

axxxel
August 3, 2013, 03:10 PM
Eye and ear protection is not that much of a hassle. Somebody almost got killed due to lax safety regulation enforcement. It doesn't surprise me one bit that the management are all about safety now.

Where I shoot pistol the shooting benches have blockers like you mention, but we also never shoot without a supervising range officer, who has better view. If the blockers are very unlikely to deflect a bullet downwards then they're just blocking your vision and not really providing safety.

Glad they managed to punish that yahoo.

two gun charlie
August 3, 2013, 03:10 PM
recently overheard our shooting range will no longer be allowing the police to use our facilities because of their lack of discipline :D and I am not kidding.

axxxel
August 3, 2013, 03:23 PM
recently overheard our shooting range will no longer be allowing the police to use our facilities because of their lack of discipline :D and I am not kidding.
South Africa's finest...

I love the country btw. Only seen Kruger park and a few nearby small towns but ZA is so cool and weird to a Swedish guy. Hope your politics sorts out as soon as possible. I am going down there in a year for hunting.

LoudMouthSchnook
August 3, 2013, 04:33 PM
Sometime those who sit on the BOD get a lil' bit too big for their britches.

One club pulled me off the trap range so his buddy could shoot, told me I could shoot the next round, then closed up to drink with his buds.

Another club told me "Not to shoot any loud guns".

I no longer give tham any of my money. Thankfully I can shoot in my backyard now.

Onward Allusion
August 3, 2013, 04:37 PM
The bench blocker thing is over the top and sounds like a safety issue. Wearing badges is not a biggie, IMO. The thing with the eyes/ears while the range is hot is not unreasonable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Local club has gone goofy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!