BB sub-machinegun

PDA

TheFrontRange
February 4, 2003, 12:47 AM
Does anybody out there remember these being advertised in the '80s in the pages of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine? I think they were called the M-119 or something...seems like the manufacturer was in Florida and they offered both a pistol-size and a larger SMG-size gun, both being powered from cans of refrigerant if I remember correctly. I was in my early teens at the time and I remember thinking these were the epitome of cool. (What can I say, the first gun I fell in love with at my local gun store back then was a selective-fire 9mm MAC-10, complete with suppressor!)

Did anybody out there actually buy one of these BB SMGs, and if you did, how many aluminum cans did you exterminate?! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "BB sub-machinegun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
February 4, 2003, 12:50 AM
I bought one and still have it. It uses cans of freon. Only really bad thing about them was the barrel would freeze up pretty quickly. Obviously there was absolutely no accuracy as it was a BB hose.

RoyRapoport
February 4, 2003, 12:58 AM
Dunno about the originals, but you can get Airsoft replicas of most Assault Rifles (G36, M4, M16, CAR-15, P91s, etc), submachineguns, and handguns. The higher-end replicas of assault rifles are typically electrically-powered and have that 'auto' position that my AR-15 lacks.

They shoot 6mm plastic bbs (typically 3.08-3.48 grains, or .2 grams to .25 grams). Typical velocities are 300-400fps (which is the upper range usually for semi-auto/auto guns in Airsoft fields), though you can upgrade them further. My M4A1 Airsoft has no problem killing aluminum cans at 35 feet (the length of my former hall). Actually, I'll go further than that -- my landlord is currently assessing how much I'll be paying for the repair to the paint on the wall behind the cans (I eventually noticed that the BBs were chipping paint and started using a backstop).

They're great for tactical training, too.

-roy

ahenry
February 4, 2003, 01:38 AM
:what: Now THOSE would be fun.

dfariswheel
February 4, 2003, 01:53 AM
A friend of mine had one of the M-119's. He modified his to run off compressed air, at the same pressure as the freon cans.
It didn't freeze up, and would cut an old Coke bottle in half, from across a country road.

He also bought a BUNCH of BB's that came packed in 1/2 pint milk-type cartons.

He used it to hunt the deadly farm pond Dragonfly.

Pendragon
February 4, 2003, 03:21 AM
I had one when I was about 13 - one of my uncles - but we never found the adaptor thingy that hooked the freon to the gun.

bummer - would have been a blast in rural Alaska...:(

Schuey2002
February 4, 2003, 03:45 AM
I got your BB gun right here.:evil: It's a Tokyo Marui HK G36C..
http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/news/october02/tm_flyer/marui_pf1.jpg

This little beauty will one day be in my collection..

Kevlarman
February 4, 2003, 04:07 AM
The G36 is nice! One of my teammates has one:
http://jjj.image.pbase.com/u20/ewokfetus/upload/9344823.PC212163.jpg

bogie
February 4, 2003, 10:45 AM
How do the airsoft dealies do on dragonflies?

SDC
February 4, 2003, 10:46 AM
Apparently, Baikal has come out with a selective-fire CO2-powered submachinegun; it was in their last catalog, but I haven't seen any North American distributors import them yet.:(

Chaz
February 4, 2003, 11:24 AM
I just bought the Airsoft G-3 replica auto bb gun. I think it is the coolset thing ever:D Fairly powerful and accurate. I wish I had one when I was a kid... on second thought that might not have been a good idea. Lots of fun to play with and you can buy the 6mm BB's at Wal-mart. Now I have a range in the spare room.

Sisco
February 4, 2003, 01:03 PM
I remember seeing the freon powered guns advertised in comic books when I was a kid. Some even had a bracket so you could mount it to the handlebars of a bicycle. Always wanted one but never did get around to ordering one.

TheFrontRange
February 4, 2003, 01:07 PM
Some even had a bracket so you could mount it to the handlebars of a bicycle

Oh, man...that would have enabled me to live out those "Mad Max" fantasies of mine LOLOLOL!!!! :)

gun-fucious
February 4, 2003, 01:12 PM
the BB mini gun is where it iz at:
http://www.pyramydair.com/images/Mvc-020s_small.jpg
http://www.pipersprecisionproducts.com/

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16484

powerstrk
February 4, 2003, 01:12 PM
I aquired a Feltman benchmount BB machinegun some years ago, that thing is waycool. you can still buy parts for it. It is fashioned after the old 1919's. It will shoot 100 rounds in about 4-5 seconds at 100psi. I just put a new barrel in it, and made a tripod mount for it. It is fairly accurate to about 40-50 yards. :)

I will try to post a picture of it in the near future.

Jim V
February 4, 2003, 03:19 PM
Where do you think Para-Ord got their start? Making full auto B-B guns. I can't remember if they were MACs or Uzis however. Para meaning "indicates" and not having anything to do with paratroops or the like. It was not until they made some mone did they start making their frames to allowing the end users to build a wide bodied 191. Later still they started making entire pistols.

Thus endeth the history lesson for today.

Destructo6
February 4, 2003, 06:40 PM
Have you seen the Junkers AK bb-gun? Heh heh....

It is an air rifle built on a real, full auto, AK receiver and using quite a few other real AK parts. They were available just a year ago, but the BATF has determined that they constitute an unimportable firearm and are contraband. They looked really good.

Flatfender
February 4, 2003, 11:22 PM
Nevermind

If you enjoyed reading about "BB sub-machinegun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!