This is an Armscor Precision 36 grain HP .22LR.

PDA

jrdolall
August 4, 2013, 11:22 PM
I have run through a brick of this ammo with no issues. Today we ran a 25 round mag of this through a Ciener 22 conversion kit in one of my ARs and about halfway through the mag there was a very noticeable difference in the sound of the ammo. A few minutes later I was shooting a mag through a Buckmark when I got peppered pretty hard in the face.

I only had two boxes of the ammo with me and I am pretty sure both of these issues came out of the same box.

If you enjoyed reading about "This is an Armscor Precision 36 grain HP .22LR." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deus Machina
August 5, 2013, 07:03 AM
That obviously wasn't fully chambered when it blew.
It's either a case of shoving itself back before sealing, or not chambering completely.
Dirty chamber or deformed bullet or something preventing it.

jrdolall
August 5, 2013, 10:22 AM
deformed bullet
We actually had an old Remington single shot bolt gun out and one guy had trouble getting some of the rounds to chamber. I thought it was just him but this may have been the problem. I will take a close look at these bullets and see if any are obviously deformed.
What about the definite change in sound in the AR conversion? Any ideas on that?

Eye protection is a good thing. I don't know if it would have hurt me or not but some powder definitely hit my face.

arizona98tj
August 5, 2013, 12:00 PM
What about the definite change in sound in the AR conversion? Any ideas on that?

I assume you mean the sound you heard when the cartridge in the photo fired out of battery? IMO, that would be normal for it to sound different given the bolt was not fully closed and some of the gas escaped out of the breech and the failed brass.

Wil Terry
August 5, 2013, 12:05 PM
THAT IS CAUSED by a weak spot or a hole in the rim of the case. You can bet the ranch it was the latter.

jrdolall
August 5, 2013, 12:26 PM
I assume you mean the sound you heard when the cartridge in the photo fired out of battery? IMO, that would be normal for it to sound different given the bolt was not fully closed and some of the gas escaped out of the breech and the failed brass.
No. The exploded shell came out of a Browning Buckmark. The sound difference we noticed was in an AR conversion where, half way through the 25 round mag, there was a noticeable change in sound. Same brick of ammo but possibly a different box.

I just got a call from a friend that I let borrow a Phoenix HP22A on Saturday and he is bringing the gun back. He fired it one time and started having problems with the slide. We fired this particular gun at least 50 times on Saturday with no problems. I left them one box of these same rounds and that is what he used.

This brick of ammo may go in the "don't use" stack. I had 10 bricks of this ammo I bought from Graf back in December and have shot some of it before this weekend without any unusual issues.

If you enjoyed reading about "This is an Armscor Precision 36 grain HP .22LR." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!