Alaska hunting guide busted

PDA

jim in Anchorage
August 5, 2013, 01:33 AM
Here's another, lots of bad guides in Alaska. I knew this guy and was always suspicious about his ethics.

http://www.adn.com/2013/02/28/2807055/new-charges-for-longtime-outlaw.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Alaska hunting guide busted" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
August 5, 2013, 10:48 AM
Never hurts to check public records when you are suspicious of somebody.

buck460XVR
August 5, 2013, 11:02 AM
Sounds like a real dirtball.

August 5, 2013, 11:26 AM
Over the years I have known a couple guys like this.Their downfall was their big mouths.They couldn't resist bragging about the animals they poached.Their illegal activities weren't confined to poaching.They engaged in stealing and insurance fraud as well.

KMatch
August 5, 2013, 01:36 PM
Near my inlaws where I hunt hogs, there "was" a renter who was with a heli hunter group. Helibacon I think it is. He had already been denied any hunting on my inlaw's land and a couple of weeks ago he was bragging to his landlord about shooting a bobcat across the fence on the inlaw's side. I have several shots of the cat on camera. I blasted them on their FB page but they deleted it without so much as an acknowledgement. I wish I had more authority to blast them, but my step-FIL is too nice a guy to pursue it further. His landlord kicked him out for taking all the fish from the pond on the property and his actions, or lying/bragging about poaching, show me what to expect from their business practices.

Hunterdad
August 5, 2013, 02:01 PM
What the "taking game the same day he flew in an airplane" charge all about?

Arkansas Paul
August 5, 2013, 02:04 PM
^ I was wondering the same thing.
Yeah, this guy sounds like a real pillar of the community.

buck460XVR
August 5, 2013, 03:10 PM
What the "taking game the same day he flew in an airplane" charge all about?

It's an Alaskan law that keeps folks from spotting animals from the air and then landing to shoot them. Kinda a "fair chase" thing. So anytime you fly in, you must wait til the next day to shoot an animal.

MCgunner
August 5, 2013, 03:23 PM
I have known outlaws, but no one quite that bad. He might as well start robbing banks. :rolleyes:

ngnrd
August 5, 2013, 03:43 PM
Is there any 'new' news on this story? He was arrested back in February...

buck460XVR
August 5, 2013, 06:14 PM
Sounds like he's been a dirtball violator for many years and used to bein' on the run from the law. Here's a 15 year old report about him runnin' from the law before and bein' convicted of similar charges. Not a real pillar of society nor a good role model for younger hunters........

http://www.inhumane.org/data/MTRoberts.htm

ridgerunner1965
August 5, 2013, 09:00 PM
160,000 in child support?good lord. he must have a bunch of kids.

jim in Anchorage
August 6, 2013, 12:10 AM
Aarseth said. ''Anything that moved around was getting shot at.'' ''Mr. Roberts was just trying to make a living as an outdoorsman,'' Cyrus told the judge.
I got a real kick out of that. Last I saw him a few years ago he was checking out his new hunting rig, a old military deuce and a quarter on big aircraft tires. Said he was shipping it to icy bay or some such place. I asked what do you shoot down there? Tony-"what ever we see." And to think I thought he was kidding.

MCgunner
August 6, 2013, 12:15 AM
I heard about some rapper the other day that was 1.5 million behind in child support. It's a low life thing. :rolleyes:

The outlaws I've known were the type to trespass. Texas is a land of big private ranches. Well, one of 'ems kid got caught in the national seashore area of Padre Island. Game wardens in a helicopter followed his ATV tracks in the sand up to a clump of salt grass....:rolleyes: He did a year in the pen and got all his stuff, even his truck and boat, confiscated. His old man was popped for shooting off the road once. He's got a mount of a Nilgai he shot trespassing on the Kenedy ranch. Yeah, he brags about all this stuff. THIS guy got a coast guard captains license and guides for fish and duck hunters. He's an amateur duck hunter at best, don't know how to call, has no dog, but BY GOLLY he has a $25K air boat and a nice 4x4 diesel pick up!

Yeah, you gotta watch who you book your hunts with and not just in Alaska.

jim in Anchorage
August 6, 2013, 02:19 AM
and got all his stuff, even his truck and boat, confiscated

Yes they do that here. And since many of these cases here in Alaska involve a plane[s] you're tacking $300,000+ onto the cash fine. I remember a notorious poacher here who had lost one plane to F&G already,and knew he was caught again, on the ground, illegal game all around the plane and here comes the F&G helicopter. He said hell they ain't getting other and set fire to his $100,000 super cub.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alaska hunting guide busted" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!