RCBS piggyback press

PDA

fallout mike
August 5, 2013, 01:36 PM
I have the chance to buy a used one for ~$150. This is already set up with everything. Is this a good price? Are they any good?

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS piggyback press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tygranch
August 5, 2013, 04:00 PM
I used a piggy back for several years to load 9mm and .40. It worked okay, just couldn't get too aggressive or powder spills got to be an issue (not much different than other progressives). When I bought a Dillon 550b is sold mine for $75 without dies or powder measure. That was about 15 years ago.

August 5, 2013, 06:05 PM
I've been using a PiggyBack II on a RC since the mid '90s and it works great. I upgraded the powder drop to a Hornady case activated version and use it with a couple of Redding powder measures including a 10X and 30BR. I modified the primer collection system too. The PB II is a very smooth progressive press and you also have the option to remove it and use the single stage press that it sits on. For $150 it's worth it assuming it's in good condition. On the bright side, RCBS will send you any replacement parts at no charge. I have a Hornady L-N-L AP too and use that for the higher volume stuff. Both the PBII and LNL use primer pick up tubes.

fguffey
August 5, 2013, 07:35 PM
The Piggy Back 11 was mounted on a Rock Chucker that was not included, the powder measure was not included nor was the shell plates, if the Piggy back has the press, powder measure and shell plate(s) $150.00 is a bargain.

There were two Piggy back presses as the first then the updated model, the updated had the case activated lock out, no case, no powder dump.

The shell plates used on the Piggy Back is the same shell plate used on the Pro-2000.

F. Guffey

fallout mike
August 5, 2013, 09:03 PM
It is mounted on a RC I believe. It has the powder drop and prolly ~10 shell plates. I've been using a RC and a lyman turret. I'm thinking this would really increase my production on 9mm, .40, .45acp, .357/.38.

August 5, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking this would really increase my production on 9mm, .40, .45acp, .357/.38.

Big time!! Here's my PBII with a Redding BR30 and Hornady's case activated powder drop and a Redding 10X in the background. The system that RCBS uses for the powder drop is ok but this upgrade is better.

http://thr.mcmxi.org/reloading/progressive_press/piggy_back_ii/photos/hornady_redding_br-30_1.jpg

fallout mike
August 5, 2013, 11:00 PM
If I buy it how hard is it to learn to use? It looks complicated to me.

August 5, 2013, 11:09 PM
If I buy it how hard is it to learn to use? It looks complicated to me.

It's not as complicated as you might think. You can download and read the PiggyBack II instructions from the RCBS website using the link below.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/PiggyBack_II_Conversion_Unit_Instructions.pdf

Here's more reading if it's a PiggyBack version.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/PiggyBack_Conversion_Unit_Instructions.pdf

carbine85
August 6, 2013, 07:05 PM
I have one and like it. I don't reload all stages progessively. Overall it's been a good press with the upgrades and it saves some time.

fallout mike
December 6, 2013, 05:00 PM
So I tossed the idea around for this and bought lots of componets instead. Today I asked if it was still available. They said yes. Weather permitting I'm picking up 2 of them this weekend. One is set up on a RC already w/ powder thrower and appears to be ready to load. I'm also getting a second piggyback unit unused still in the box. I have a RC press I could mount it on if I wanted. Anyway I'm getting it all for $200. Ill post pics after I set it up. Think I'm getting a decent deal.

cfullgraf
December 6, 2013, 05:20 PM
Big time!! Here's my PBII with a Redding BR30 and Hornady's case activated powder drop and a Redding 10X in the background. The system that RCBS uses for the powder drop is ok but this upgrade is better.

I modified a Redding 10-X with Hornady case activated kit for use on my Pro2000 and Hornady L-N-L, the powder drop die is dedicated for each press.

Also, I swapped out the RCBS case activated system for the RCBS Uniflow powder measure for a Hornady case activated system. The Hornady system has some features that make it more convenient to use.

I like the Uniflow for 25-ish grain charges so I cannot justify getting a Redding BR30--yet.

fallout mike, sounds like you are getting a good deal.

fguffey
December 7, 2013, 07:15 AM
New in the box, there is a parts kit that came with the press, the press that is set up will be missing the kit, I would not count on RCBS having parts.

The kit is important because there are two primer systems, one for large primers and one for small primers, while you are there ask about any miscellaneous parts, if there is anything that will give you problems it will be the primer system.

Take note: The Piggy Back uses a primer tube system, no shield. I use a lock out die when reloading on a progressive press, the Piggy Back press tool head has 5 positions, with enough dies you can seat on one position and crimp on another and still have room for the lock out die.

F. Guffey

carbine85
December 7, 2013, 10:40 AM
Mine works pretty good. I don't use all the stages at one time. It does take some time to learn it and get use to it but all progressive presses do. Make sure you have or get the upgraded powder drop system. The original powder drop system totally sucks.
$150 for everything sounds like your buddy is doing you a big favor IMHO.

hentown
December 7, 2013, 10:56 AM
I've read a lot of reviews of the Piggy Backs over the years. I'd estimate that the negative reviews outnumber the positive reviews by 20-to-1.

grandpawj
December 7, 2013, 11:06 AM
10 shell plates are worth $300. Just my $0.02

fallout mike
December 9, 2013, 06:48 PM
I've cleaned some rust off since the pics. I'm not sure what I've got exactly. The smaller one is obviously a piggyback for sure.

fallout mike
December 9, 2013, 07:00 PM
The rest. Maybe someone knows if everything is here.

Elkins45
December 9, 2013, 07:45 PM
The press and powder measure themselves are worth pretty close to what you paid.

I bought a piggyback when they first came out, but I sent it back after about the 15th time I dumped a powder charge onto the empty shellplate. Maybe the improved version is better.

carbine85
December 9, 2013, 08:58 PM
You need the improved powder drop system. The one you have is a pain in the butt. You did well.

fallout mike
December 9, 2013, 09:23 PM
One of the piggybacks is smaller than the other?

Jimfern
December 11, 2013, 06:46 PM
The big one is an Ammomaster progressive, works just like the piggy back on a rock chucker but you aren't limited to 223 size rounds or smaller. Most all the parts interchange.

You got a great deal for $150.

fallout mike
December 11, 2013, 08:14 PM
Thx jimfern. I wasn't sure exactly what it was.

A Pause for the Coz
December 12, 2013, 01:03 AM
I think you did pretty darn good. I have one and like it.
Mine seems to like 45acp the best.
Its been set up for those for two years now. Knocks them out like a beast.

One thing though. If I saw your photos correctly. You will want to order the RCBS case activated linkage for the powder measure.
That activating arm Rube Goldberg set up that came with it originally is a double charge waiting to happen.
The LEE auto Disk pro from the turret press also works good on the piggy.
Actually thats what I use on mine. The RCBS measure got moved to another progressive.

Oh and get the powder check die.

fguffey
December 12, 2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/PiggyBack_Conversion_Unit_Instructions.pdf

F. Guffey

fguffey
December 12, 2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/PiggyBack_II_Conversion_Unit_Instructions.pdf

Page 17 illustrates the upgrade to Piggy Back 11 with the case activated powder system. Plus part #57 must be changed out for the upgrade.

I would not count on RCBS having the parts. After you determine if you have parts missing , let me know.

F. Guffey

fguffey
December 12, 2013, 12:42 PM
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/Parts_Book.pdf

Page 4 should be the Ammo Master press.

F. Guffey

fallout mike
December 12, 2013, 07:00 PM
I think I'm missing a spring here. And from the rcbs diagram I can't tell where it goes. Also does anything go on top of the indexing rod? I've already changed all priming parts out to small so I know they are all there. I haven't yet got the screw to go all the way down flush with the shell plate. I think I need to blow some air down in it and then more oil or wd40. I do have the screws that holds the indexing rod down to the shell plate. This press appears to be on page 10. The ammomaster auto 1. Thx for help and info guys.

fguffey
December 12, 2013, 07:35 PM
you have a tab that is called #2, it connects to the powder measure, the spring is called the powder measure return spring. I see the tab on the bench. There are 2 special screws that attach to the shell plate and drive the index rod, I see the index rod, I do not see the two screws, the index rod has a big end and a small end.

The rod that is connected to the powder activated system seem to me like it is in a wad on top, I would suggest you remove the case counter, complete the assemble, then install the case counter after you get started.

F. Guffey

fallout mike
December 12, 2013, 08:59 PM
Here is a better pic of the rod on top. I will take off case counter for time being. It will be Monday before I can try and figure It out again. I do have the 2 screws. I found them screwed into another shell plate.

fguffey
December 13, 2013, 10:15 AM
I see the tab and return spring with this view, removing the counter will allow the powder measure to operate, I would suggest you rotate the powder measure to align the #37 case detection rod with the #43 case detection arm, and there is a spring #44 that is a wound flat spring.

on page #6

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/Parts_Book.pdf

F/ Guffey

fallout mike
December 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
I am definitely missing the case detection spring. Thx for the help. I guess ill contact RCBS for the spring.

fguffey
December 13, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mike, look under the arm.

F. Guffey

fallout mike
December 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
Its not there. I would bet it was on it and I lost it transporting it home. When I get home sunday evening I've gotta see why I can't get the bolt to screw all the way down through the shell plate. Thx again F. Guffey!!

fguffey
December 14, 2013, 01:34 PM
There is a small adapter that mounts between the ram and shell plate holder, make sure it is there. Then? you could have the wrong screw, I will go back and check the parts list to make sure the two screws from the different presses is the same.

F. Guffey

fguffey
December 16, 2013, 12:40 PM
All of the Piggy Back presses use the same shoulder bolt through the shell plate, none of the presses use a cross bolt to prevent it from backing out.

I would suggest you clear the hole in the top of the upper ram and shell plate adapter.

F. Guffey

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS piggyback press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!