Shocking News...well no...Gerber has to recall another defective knife

PDA

gfanikf
August 6, 2013, 11:12 AM
Gerber Recalls Uppercut Knife and Sheath Sets Due to Laceration Hazard The Uppercut model sheath does not hold the knife securely, allowing the knife to come out of the sheath unexpectedly.
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Gerber-Recalls-Uppercut-Knife-and-Sheath-Sets/

Seriously, this is what, the 3rd Gerber recall in the past two years?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shocking News...well no...Gerber has to recall another defective knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam Cade
August 6, 2013, 11:41 AM
This is just embarrassing.

I don't understand why Fiskars is allowing the devaluation of the trademark by such stoooopid errors.

:banghead:

MCgunner
August 6, 2013, 11:54 AM
Don't know, but I like my Gerber knives...an old Gator Serrator is still my field dressing knife of choice. All these "tactical" knives, well, I have no interest in knife fighting anyway. I do hope the Gerber name doesn't get run down, but heck, I used to like Schrade and now they're pretty much crap IMHO. There's so many knife manufactures, I don't know why I should be "brand loyal". I have enough knives, though, can only use one at a time. :D

highorder
August 6, 2013, 12:04 PM
The new Gerber crap is a shame.

It was a brand that dad valued, and for good reason.

These days, I wouldn't waste my time with half their knives, never mind anything with bare grilz name on it. That orange and grey line is pure garbage.

Yo Mama
August 6, 2013, 12:20 PM
I didn't even know they had this model, doesn't look half bad.

Also, note that while Gerber has had a few issues with the BG line, this recall appears to be the sheath not the knife.

Tortuga12
August 6, 2013, 12:32 PM
It's sad that their design/qc is so crappy these days. I've been very happy with my two EZ-Outs, but sounds like if they go missing I'll be replacing with Spyderco.

MCgunner
August 6, 2013, 01:12 PM
Also, note that while Gerber has had a few issues with the BG line, this recall appears to be the sheath not the knife.

What recall? I have a BG knife, just bought it because I wanted it. I've skinned a deer and a hog with it and I'm impressed enough with its ability to keep an edge despite the fact that it's a thick, tough blade. It's a heavy knife, not one I carry afield, but I kinda like the knife. The orange shows up nicely in the grass if you drop it, IMHO a better deal than a duller color. I know the knife is probably priced twice what it's worth because of Bear's promotion, but that's okay, I liked watching Bear eat bugs. :D

Deltaboy
August 6, 2013, 04:11 PM
It is a sad tale we are seeing with Gerber products since about 2000. My old stock NIB Made in Portland OR USA is a great knife. I love that Gator.

Piraticalbob
August 7, 2013, 12:58 AM
I long ago decided not to waste my time and money with Fiskars-era Gerber product. I see no reason to review that decision. I don't even have that high of an opinion with Fiskars' main product line (scissors) any more, either, because of quality drop-off. I have a pair of forged Chinese scissors that cut far better than any Fiskars scissors I've owned, and I bought the Chinese scissors back in '86.

BLB68
August 16, 2013, 04:12 AM
@MCGunner: The first recall was for the ultimate survival knife. I can't dig up the exact reason at the moment, due to Google wanting to talk more about the more recent recall, but I do know it had a problem with the handle breaking, and IIRC that was the cause of the recall.

The Bear parangs were recalled due to sheath issues ("laceration hazard").

Their quality may not be the best, but at least they still have the integrity to issue recalls. One up on Toyota and Chrysler on that account.

gfanikf
August 16, 2013, 09:05 AM
Just check my posts in this sub forum. You should find info on the other two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Hanzo581
August 16, 2013, 09:35 AM
Geez, I literally just received my Gerber LMF II survival knife yesterday and at least initially it seems built like a tank. Should I be worried about Gerber's overall quaility now?

Sam Cade
August 16, 2013, 10:14 AM
The Bear parangs were recalled due to sheath issues ("laceration hazard").

The 2nd recall was due to the sheath being stupidly designed so that the blade was cutting its way out.

The initial recall was because the Peedrinker Parangs were blowing up in peoples faces.

Hazard: A weakness in the area where the handle meets the blade can cause the handle or the blade to break during use, posing a laceration hazard.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2012/Gerber-Recalls-Machetes-Due-to-Laceration-Hazard/

This is the "improved" design.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=184936&d=1370543393

It still sucks.

Sam Cade
August 16, 2013, 10:15 AM
Should I be worried about Gerber's overall quaility now?

In a word, YES.

Hanzo581
August 16, 2013, 10:24 AM
In a word, YES.

Well that is most troubling. I guess I shouldn't have gone on the assumptions they were as good as they used to be.

fallout mike
August 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
Yall stop hatin. If Bear Grylls uses Gerber then that's enough for me.

Sam Cade
August 16, 2013, 11:00 AM
If Bear Grylls uses Gerber then that's enough for me.

You Sir, are an artist. :evil:

Sam Cade
August 16, 2013, 11:43 AM
Geez, I literally just received my Gerber LMF II survival knife yesterday and at least initially it seems built like a tank.

Food for thought.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=187798&stc=1&d=1376667662

I'm glad someone else already dissected one of these. ;)

Hanzo581
August 16, 2013, 12:48 PM
They actually show that in their product video, they say it is for insulation purposes if you are cutting wires or something (so you can touch the handle without worrying about touching the metal butt end). Sounds like a cop out. I am going to put it through its paces on an upcoming trip.

Sam Cade
August 16, 2013, 01:15 PM
Sounds like a cop out.
It was designed as an Aircrew knife so being insulated makes good sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircrew_Survival_Egress_Knife

Hanzo581
August 16, 2013, 01:19 PM
Right, but surely there is a way to insulate without sacrificing structural integrity?

Sam Cade
August 16, 2013, 02:01 PM
Right, but surely there is a way to insulate without sacrificing structural integrity?

Absolutely.
Just cover the tang with something non-conductive enough to meet the spec.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=187802&stc=1&d=1376675558

I'm willing to give the design engineer who is responsible for the LMF the benefit of the doubt and assume that the written spec for an ASEK forced their hand and is the source for the more ..uhhh.. eccentric characteristics of the knife.

herrwalther
August 16, 2013, 03:20 PM
The Bear Grylls knife was recalled because the blade had a tendency to separate from the handle. Causing an unintentional flying knife effect. So I am not going to buy something designed by a celebrity "survivalist" who sleeps in hotels at night while he is supposed to be roughing it.

If Bear Grylls uses Gerber then that's enough for me.

I can't tell if you are saying you won't buy Gerber for the same reason I do. But if that is the case you win the sarcasm award.

It was designed as an Aircrew knife so being insulated makes good sense.

Cop out excuse I would say. I have never seen any pilot or air crew member in the US military fly without gloves. Nomex/kevlar gloves to be specific, which would insulate a stray electric shock. There isn't much use in a knife that doesn't have a full tang for use and abuse applications.

fallout mike
August 16, 2013, 03:35 PM
I usually win the sarcasm award. I no longer buy Gerber for reasons discussed here. The Bear Grylls crap is a big one for me.

alaskanativeson
August 16, 2013, 03:52 PM
I had an early 70's Mark I I used for quite a few years and it was a really well made knife. I'm really sorry I sold it. The stuff Gerber has been making for years now is like Taurus guns were when they first came out: Every once in a while you'd get a decent one, but for the most part you were more likely to get something that would cause a problem.

wickedsprint
August 16, 2013, 04:07 PM
I too have noticed poor QC in recent Gerbers. Bought an auto from them that wouldn't even open until loosened. I think the blade screw was too tight.

xjsnake
August 16, 2013, 08:51 PM
I have older gerbers that are great, but the newer gerbers I've had (3 at least) have been way less that stellar. I've moved on to other makers for my lower end knives.

MCgunner
August 18, 2013, 10:00 PM
Sounds like some folks are jealous of Bear, to me. :D Try eatin' bugs and drinkin' water squeezed from elephant dung. You'd stay in a nice hotel room with a flush toilet and LOTS of TP, too. :D

My, such hatred of a cheap knife. :rolleyes: I have a Gerber skinner I like enough that was 20 bucks or so. My old Gator Serrator was bought back in the early 90s, guess that doesn't count, but it's still shavin' sharp and my main guttin'/field dressin' tool.

BLB68
August 22, 2013, 04:10 AM
The initial recall was because the Peedrinker Parangs were blowing up in peoples faces.

Thanks. I hadn't heard of that one. Was going by my faulty memory due to Google having so many hits on just one of the recalls.

22-rimfire
August 22, 2013, 11:37 PM
Since Fiskars bought out Gerber, the quality has slipped. I used to like Gerber knives, now I won't even pick one up to look at. When that happens, it is the begining of the end for "Gerber".

As far as the BG line, there have been problems. I read that the new Pro series aren't too bad. People are putting down Gerber like they put down SOG.

Sam Cade
August 23, 2013, 01:55 PM
Since Fiskars bought out Gerber, the quality has slipped.

Indeed.

Slipped off of a cliff and plummeted screaming into the ravening void below.

This makes me sad. :(

Shanghai McCoy
August 23, 2013, 02:36 PM
Me too Sam.:(
The older Gerbers were/are good tools. I was lucky enough to find a nice MK1 this year that just needed a new snap for the strap.:)

Deltaboy
August 24, 2013, 08:14 PM
Sad to see Gerber go down hill so fast.

DM~
August 25, 2013, 11:38 AM
I'm a long time Gerber fan, as i started buying Gerber hunting knives in the 70's...

Is this the last Gerber built with quality??? It's an USA made S30V,

http://www.fototime.com/5C16686E0642FAD/standard.jpg

I bought it a few years ago, and it has been a pretty good knife for me, although i've only used it on 4 or 5 deer.

DM

BLB68
August 27, 2013, 06:16 PM
I think their US made stuff is generally decent quality, still. It's just that most of their stuff isn't US made anymore. If they made an LMF with a plain edge, I'd consider one.

Of the Chinese stuff, their Big Rock Camp Knife gets consistently good reviews. The rest, not so much.

MCgunner
August 27, 2013, 08:29 PM
Since Fiskars bought out Gerber, the quality has slipped. I used to like Gerber knives, now I won't even pick one up to look at. When that happens, it is the begining of the end for "Gerber".

I'm calling bovine excretion on this one. :rolleyes: After getting three pigs I'd trapped on ice the other day, I was sharpening my knives which include a 4 or 5 year old 20+ dollar Gerber skinner and my old Gator Serrator that's about 25 years old. Now, that skinner, fairly recent purchase, doesn't get as sharp as my Case Kodiak which cost 6 times as much, but holds an edge a LOT longer. I really like that knife especially for no more than it cost. Then I was looking at the sheath of that 25 year old Gator and right there, in plain letters, it says "GATOR", "GERBER", "LEGENDARY BLADES", "A Fiskars Company", "Made in USA". Now, I'd remembered this post claiming Fiskars as the reason Gerber went to crap (I still like mine, but then, I actually USE them). At the same time, everyone is saying the old Gerbers made in the USA were decent. Well, which is it, cause my 25 year old made in the USA Gator was a Fiskars product! There seems to be a problem here with facts.

Oh, and my wife says anyone who thinks Fiskars scissors ain't worth a toot is full of it, too. She's a quilter, sewing is her thing. She says Fiskars ain't the best, but they're near the best in scissors. I'll just take her word for it, cause the only scissors I've ever bought were a couple of bucks at Walmart. Didn't check, just ASSUMED they were made in China. ROFL

Skyshot
August 31, 2013, 08:59 PM
I have a Gerber Prodigy, has Sandvick 12c27 steel. Still was made under the Fiskars takeover of Gerber. Paid $48.95 for it. It's as good a blade as you can get for the money IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shocking News...well no...Gerber has to recall another defective knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!